Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orb are sick

https://youtu.be/8kbncnFIMKc

E: yeah better in the other thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
just discovered Navajo Witch courtesy of Music-Map and it is definitely my poo poo now.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
new All Them Witches single "1X1" is v good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov7Vgyd_zk

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OpaqueEcho posted:

new All Them Witches single "1X1" is v good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov7Vgyd_zk

I'm real bummed about them losing Jonathan because I really liked his thick organ sound, but this is a pretty heavy sound for just three of them. Can't wait for a new album.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I ordered the new Sunn album from their website, it came in today and the record sleeve is super worn from the shipping.

It's like that on all three sides. :cry:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Eat The Rich posted:

Mwahahaha they told me your name

Here's my face with the lead guitarist of Forming the Void in return

Edit edit: haha old man wizard is doing a queen tribute

Noice! I think you can easily find my name in the signatures I leave on my work (the most important part of the illustration, natch). Hope they played some new poo poo, I haven't even heard it yet! Lots of times bands will give me a sneak-peek so I get a sense of the tunes. Oh well. It was supposed to come out in like June but their label had some kind of big tour with a headliner lined up which fell through so they decided to focus on polishing it up and getting more songs on it perhaps. Looking forward to it because "Rift" was loving killer

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Zoben posted:

Noice! I think you can easily find my name in the signatures I leave on my work (the most important part of the illustration, natch). Hope they played some new poo poo, I haven't even heard it yet! Lots of times bands will give me a sneak-peek so I get a sense of the tunes. Oh well. It was supposed to come out in like June but their label had some kind of big tour with a headliner lined up which fell through so they decided to focus on polishing it up and getting more songs on it perhaps. Looking forward to it because "Rift" was loving killer

Lol. I got pretty silly at that show and silly with them. I blame booze.

They played all their hits. Nothing new. Which was rad anyway since I haven't seen them play before.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Eat The Rich posted:

I ordered the new Sunn album from their website, it came in today and the record sleeve is super worn from the shipping.

It's like that on all three sides. :cry:

Cool labels/bands take the record out of the cover for shipping. Still sucks when the record breaks though a nice printed inner sleeve but it’s great getting a perfect cover in the mail.

Sorry for your loss

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
It might be worth emailing the label and see if they'll ship a replacement sleeve. I had luck with that, once.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

trem_two posted:

It might be worth emailing the label and see if they'll ship a replacement sleeve. I had luck with that, once.

I'll give it a shot.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Laserface posted:

Orb are sick

https://youtu.be/8kbncnFIMKc

E: yeah better in the other thread

ORB is incredible but I can't find anything other than Birth, is there more?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nerve posted:

ORB is incredible but I can't find anything other than Birth, is there more?

Theres several albums on Apple Music.

Birth
Naturality
the Space Between

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
They're on bandcamp too so I don't know what I was talking about

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Chelsea Wolfe's current tour is really impressive, catch it

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Frank Caskelot posted:

If it was a Virginia license plate, I think it's the guitar player of Lair. https://lairdoom.bandcamp.com/releases

These guys just released their debut album. After one listen, I'd say it's pretty drat good.
https://lairdoom.bandcamp.com/

Edit: I'm gonna see Inter Arma on Saturday, I'm stoked.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Inter Arma is sick live. at least they were 6 years ago opening for Gorguts, which remains the best metal show I've been to. I imagine with all the new material they've put out since the it will be grand.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Saw Inter Arma once and they basically played a 40 minute medley of their first album and it ruled

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You ever notice Black Sabbath's general aversion to choruses* in the lyrics? Esp. in the Ozzy era -- I'd say less than 1/3 of their songs have an actual, repeating chorus. It's not necessarily a metal characteristic from what I can tell.

* Or refrains? Seems like there's debate over the definition. Basically a repeating verse.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Frank Caskelot posted:

Edit: I'm gonna see Inter Arma on Saturday, I'm stoked.
I want to go too but I have nothing to wear. :saddowns:

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Siivola posted:

Corpse paint your body

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/gileadmedia/status/1191483058773475328?s=19

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Trabant posted:

You ever notice Black Sabbath's general aversion to choruses* in the lyrics? Esp. in the Ozzy era -- I'd say less than 1/3 of their songs have an actual, repeating chorus. It's not necessarily a metal characteristic from what I can tell.

* Or refrains? Seems like there's debate over the definition. Basically a repeating verse.

I mean, this is one of things that sets metal apart from rock, especially as you get further away from heavy metal and into more 'extreme' styles, it doesn't usually follow a verse-chorus-verse structure.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
who needs to repeat a chorus when you have riffs?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

A human heart posted:

I mean, this is one of things that sets metal apart from rock, especially as you get further away from heavy metal and into more 'extreme' styles, it doesn't usually follow a verse-chorus-verse structure.

That's the thing -- I think much of (non-extreme) metal does follow that structure. NWoBHM, traditional, speed, thrash, hair, power... They somehow seem to have a much more standard format than some of this greybeard stuff. Or I'm entirely imagining things.

If there's a publicly accessible lyrics database it'd be relatively easy to actually quantify and oh my god I'm turning into a Dream Theater listener

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Russian Circles and Windhand were both goooooooood, gently caress

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

If you end up going, come say hi to a short guy with long hair, beard and a Witch Mountain hoodie.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Frank Caskelot posted:

If you end up going, come say hi to a short guy with long hair, beard and a Witch Mountain hoodie.
Well I bought the ticket so I guess it's time to go buy a distinctive shirt of some kind!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

Well I bought the ticket so I guess it's time to go buy a distinctive shirt of some kind!

May I suggest an Absu shirt and Opeth wristbands?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Frank Caskelot posted:

:golfclap:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Does that guy still post?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Less Claypool posted:

Does that guy still post?

I can't actually remember who he was, but I hope he does.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Caught the Russian Circles show with Windhand last night. Good stuff, even if my buddy almost ruined it for me by pointing out the massive amount of "chugga chugga" backing tracks Russian Circles employs. I still like that Windhand sound live more than on the record, but I picked up their latest LP anyway. I dig the album art.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hatelull posted:

Caught the Russian Circles show with Windhand last night. Good stuff, even if my buddy almost ruined it for me by pointing out the massive amount of "chugga chugga" backing tracks Russian Circles employs. I still like that Windhand sound live more than on the record, but I picked up their latest LP anyway. I dig the album art.

When I saw them the guitarist was doing the backing riffs live with a loop pedal, is that not the case anymore?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When I saw them the guitarist was doing the backing riffs live with a loop pedal, is that not the case anymore?

That's what I figured, but my dude swears there was way more going on than a loop pedal could provide. I was in the back and kinda faded so that could easily (hopefully) been the case. They still sounded amazing.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

semi-connected, dave the guitarist from botch would do something like this live and it was loving insane. he would play riffs and variations of them right before the song started and sample them immediately after when they would play. he would make one guitar sound like 2 or 3 it was really cool.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Speaking of Windhand, stolen gear alert:

https://www.facebook.com/WindhandVA/posts/2709761362423326

quote:

Got robbed in Houston last night. Keep an eye out for this gear. We’re waiting to file a report but this is what we’ve tagged as missing so far. There will be more to come. Spread the news far and wide:
- ‘79 Rickenbacker 4001 (maybe walnut burst) with a busted pick guard and the D string tunes in the wrong direction. Beat to poo poo.
- ‘2011 White Gibson SG. White bridge pickup with personal info and identifying marks under the pick guard. Beat to poo poo. In a Gibson case with G1 painted on it.
- 2013 black Gibson SG (not pictured). Silver pickups with ‘1974’ painted under the pickups. In a Gibson case with G2 painted on it.
- ‘82 Rickenbacker 4001 bass with a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup. Almost everything is blacked out including a custom-made black truss rod cover so it doesn’t say “Rickenbacker.” This was in a custom @emperorcabinets flight case covered in stickers and, you guessed it, beat to poo poo.
- Ludwig black beauty snare (not pictured). 14x6.5” in a case with our logo spray painted on it.
-Ogio backpack

Ray ban wayfarer sunglasses

Sennheiser hd380 headphones

2nd gen ipad in case with Keyboard

Silver iPod

Microphones in gator case with windhand and Genocide pact sticker. My name Chris Moore on case (Dag nasty and windhand stickers)

Microphones
Shure beta 91
Shure beta 52
Shure beta 57
Shure sm57 x 3
Sennheiser e604 x 3
Audio technica ae3000
Heil pr40
Heil pr48
Radial jrx 48
Whirlwind imp2
Shure ksm137

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Parachute posted:

semi-connected, dave the guitarist from botch would do something like this live and it was loving insane. he would play riffs and variations of them right before the song started and sample them immediately after when they would play. he would make one guitar sound like 2 or 3 it was really cool.

Dunno if you're aware but he went on to play guitar for Minus the Bear, and his tapping and looping skills are a trademark of their sound. (They're not even remotely metal though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CwL3yb1pLY&t=690s

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God drat that blows, gently caress gear thieves forever

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Dunno if you're aware but he went on to play guitar for Minus the Bear, and his tapping and looping skills are a trademark of their sound. (They're not even remotely metal though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CwL3yb1pLY&t=690s

this is one of those bands i had always wish i liked more, but im not really in to them. i havent watched this video before, thank you for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

God drat that blows, gently caress gear thieves forever

That's three bands in recent memory. Although the other two were both in Paris (further proof that the French are assholes)