Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Is it his Oath of Nissa getting the axe or everyone and their grandmother(s) expecting a standard ban?

I think there's a bit of Hogaak-style avoidance in there. That cards should have been a bunch, but was cheap because everyone expected a ban. I don't think anyone is expecting Oko to get through this unscathed, the question is how many formats he gets banned in. Or he could stick around and have obvious hate sitting in Theros, but that's 2.5 long months away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mandatory lesbian posted:

Someone posted a modern burn decklist on Twitter with oko in the side and I'm gonna scream

I would post it but my phone and Twitter don't get along very well when it comes to links

How do you cast it? Green is somewhat common given Naya burn, but Temur burn just seems odd and bad.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1191798869924835328

lmbo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

It's really so bizarre that they put these artificial restrictions on queuing for Brawl, especially right now when you'd think they'd want to dangle a reason for people who hate Standard to log in and play matches.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

brawl is the format that somehow still exists despite every effort by wotc to kill it stone dead

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Wurzag posted:

brawl is the format that somehow still exists despite every effort by wotc to kill it stone dead

That's all the formats tho

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rkajdi posted:

How do you cast it? Green is somewhat common given Naya burn, but Temur burn just seems odd and bad.

I imagine you grit your teeth and swallow City of Brass/Mana Confluence pings.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Brawl is the format nobody played in paper and then it came to Arena and people really dug it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wurzag posted:

They went all-in on it by releasing a handful of Brawl decks to compliment Throne of Eldraine.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

They went all-in on it by releasing a handful of Brawl decks to compliment Throne of Eldraine.

A handful is actually the quantity they released, or :thejoke: ?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

flatluigi posted:

Brawl is the format nobody played in paper and then it came to Arena and people really dug it

I imagine if you have the option to play Commander people just do that instead, unless you're really new to the game and only have access to standard cards.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

rkajdi posted:

Oh it's uhh... certainly something.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2463246#paper

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol a delver of secrets? that's an excellent troll deck, and getting a sweet finish in a challenge makes it even better

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I imagine if you have the option to play Commander people just do that instead, unless you're really new to the game and only have access to standard cards.

I like the idea of brawl but ehhhhhhh

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

If WotC just said "Here's a commander format with the pioneer card pool and also Cyclonic Rift is banned" I'd be super down.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I like the idea of brawl but ehhhhhhh

The cool thing is you can choose not to play it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

and six days of the week that's your only option

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

and six days of the week that's your only option

if you take enough hostages you can actually play brawl any day you like

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yeah and that's what I do, I'm not attacking anyone who likes brawl. I think it's a neat idea for a format as an on ramp to commander for people who start with standard and vice versa but I'll stick to commander

I like these dumb formats existing man I'm not one of the "commander sucks" people

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just think magic works better as a singleton game, I’m not super into Brawl because it’s “Diet Commander” or whatever, it’s own little thing. I just think deck building matters much more when every card is special.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I just think magic works better as a singleton game, I’m not super into Brawl because it’s “Diet Commander” or whatever, it’s own little thing. I just think deck building matters much more when every card is special.

I agree. 60-card constructed formats don't interest me as much because having so many of the same card makes gameplay more redundant and less dynamic. That, and I'd rather buy 4 unique expensive cards than 4 of the same expensive card.

A little less so on the brawl bit though. The only thing keeping me from really being into brawl is that it rotates. No thanks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The rotating thing doesn’t bother me because like, I spend $20 on a Precon and trade a couple things and play however many games with it over the next year or two and if I really like it then I’ll just turn it into an EDH deck.

That seems like an incredibly small investment to me

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Brawl but modern instead of standard.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

This decklist looks like someone lost a bet

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JerryLee posted:

It's really so bizarre that they put these artificial restrictions on queuing for Brawl, especially right now when you'd think they'd want to dangle a reason for people who hate Standard to log in and play matches.

Can't have people only buying one copy of a card instead of 4!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

Brawl but modern instead of standard.

Well depending on that survey it might go Pioneer or they announce a commander for pioneer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

The rotating thing doesn’t bother me because like, I spend $20 on a Precon and trade a couple things and play however many games with it over the next year or two and if I really like it then I’ll just turn it into an EDH deck.

That seems like an incredibly small investment to me

If they did brawl precons every year that were actually available I might do it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Koirhor posted:

Well depending on that survey it might go Pioneer or they announce a commander for pioneer
Honestly? Just wanna play Kargan Dragonlord in constructed again. :shobon:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nobody would play “Commander but only with Pioneer cards” at that point you just have a regular commander deck. Lots and lots of players from the last 5 years have Commander decks built, not every mander-player is going back in time to tweak their deck full of Urza’s Saga stuff.

Fragmenting the Commander format into multiple formats is a pretty bad idea, but Brawl isn’t that. Pioneer Commander would be.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What's up with Goblin Guide? It's a $76 card that benefits your opponent if they have a land on top? And it's 2/2? I don't get it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What's up with Goblin Guide? It's a $76 card that benefits your opponent if they have a land on top? And it's 2/2? I don't get it.

I'm unsure what this post is meant to be getting at. Guide is waaay cheaper than $76. If you are honestly unsure why people would play the card, it's because it's a 2/2 with haste in a deck that can routinely clear the way for it to get in 4-6 damage for a single red mana.

If I got whooshed I apologize for posting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goblin Guide does everything a red deck has ever wanted it’s 1-Drop to do.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Goblin Guide costs R not 1R hth

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ShaneB posted:

I'm unsure what this post is meant to be getting at. Guide is waaay cheaper than $76. If you are honestly unsure why people would play the card, it's because it's a 2/2 with haste in a deck that can routinely clear the way for it to get in 4-6 damage for a single red mana.

If I got whooshed I apologize for posting.

Nope, you're right. My confusion on cost came from here:

But price is a tab not a column :shobon: The card costs ~$19 if you click through.*

Didn't realize the R cost. That is significant. Need to get in the habit of considering cost when I'm looking at cards. Still big noob. I understand now, thanks all.

*I still don't know what that 75.96 refers to though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

Commander is garbage for people who have not yet realised that a wide world of games exists that aren't Magic: the Gathering, and those other games are better at providing a fun multiplayer experience with friends than you can get by trying to coerce mtg to handle multiple players.

I’ve been saying this for years. There’s even plenty of euros that have little to no interaction and are mostly about cranking an engine!

Oh there’s a lot of newer posts now. Point still stands!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

But price is a tab not a column :shobon: The card costs ~$19 if you click through.*

Didn't realize the R cost. That is significant. Need to get in the habit of considering cost when I'm looking at cards. Still big noob. I understand now, thanks all.

They total the price of the cards in the list. In this case, 4 guides costs $75.96.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It is also a rare which hasn't really been printed much.
Zendikar is old as poo poo and getting printed in Modern Masters doesn't really do wonders for increasing availability either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hmmm I wonder what these numbers formatted xx.xx are. It’s a mystery.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

immaculate posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MrBling posted:

It is also a rare which hasn't really been printed much.
Zendikar is old as poo poo and getting printed in Modern Masters doesn't really do wonderspoo poo for increasing availability either.