Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bundy posted:

Door knocking successfully needs people absolutely at ease in a social situation and good at reading social cues. Not to say that the volunteers that go on script aren't useful, but minds only change on the doorstep with actual compelling conversation, which is also going to mean off the cuff and ignoring whatever shite you've been told to talk about when people answer the door.

I was sent out into a bunch of homes for old folks once and the script was about the local college closure and tuition fees. FFS. One resident in 20 houses was one actually upset about the college because he went to night classes, rest were lonely and didn't give a poo poo. I was confident I got out of there with more votes than I would have, just from listening to concerns, explaining ACTUAL policy/how awesome Labour really are where relevant or making obvious notes of their concerns if I wasn't sure (and making sure someone got in touch with them to answer if it wasn't me).

I've thoroughly enjoyed all my doorknocking time but it's certainly not for everyone and is loving depressing if the scripted message isn't landing/welcome for the volunteers.

For the folks that do find that sort of response wearing/stressful but you still like to get out there, for adversarial door answers I just suggest very quickly apologising for intruding upon their time and don't feel bad about doing so. For every "fail" you think you get, you'll remind a whole bunch to get out the vote.

gently caress, you are awesome.

E: Daniel Craig was born in '68. They say I look like him. They lie.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

:3: given her some birbs to look at, the lovely hawfinch

Rarity posted:

Your capacity is your capacity and no one should put you down for that. If all you can do is toss a small amount of money but you do that then that's amazing. If you can only manage sharing posts about Labour on social media and you share up a storm then that's fantastic. Even talking up Labour to friends and family can make a difference. Even posting on SA can help in its own little way if you're helping to motivate the base. Like, if you can't canvas yourself cause of anxiety but you can persuade 3 other people to canvas who otherwise wouldn't then that's a bigger impact than you going out on the doorstep yourself. Whatever you can do, do. Whatever you can't do, don't feel guilty about it.

quoting for new page. from each according to their ability!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Coohoolin posted:

As always, it's time to repost this excellent piece that a former goon wrote for my short lived independent student paper at uni about just why the poppy is so loving poo poo

https://hammerandseagull.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-old-lie-and-the-cult-of-remembrance/

That's really well written and came at just the right time for an ongoing heated discussion in having at work about it.

Pretty, what is it?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
This Lib Dem campaign is shameful, what utter utter charlatans. I hope that this all comes back to bite them on the arse.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Canvassing persons:
is anyone still using paper based rather than Doorstep App? One of our branches wants to go canvassing next week but there's no one with the right access to issue whatever it is the Doorstep App needs. Just thought I'd ask!

Everyone, as far as I can see. Probably because all the events I've been to have been run by 70 year olds.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1191998977794809857

Turns out HorseLord had it right all along!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/1191827851785506816

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

cakesmith handyman posted:

Pretty, what is it?

the hawfinch, male and female

coccothraustes coccothraustes? more like horn-finch if you ask me

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

https://youtu.be/sB6HY8r983c

Hyped for a Labour majority. Unfortunately I am working and studying until just before election day but I will see what I can do in the little free time I have.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CGI Stardust posted:

the hawfinch, male and female

coccothraustes coccothraustes? more like horn-finch if you ask me

They look closer to Java Finches than Green/Goldfinch with their big ol' beaks. I have owned Green/Zebra/Gouldian/Society Finches before, they are the cutest birbs

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

As been said, it is my catte. And it is specifically this little menace below (snapped after stealing some cereal milk)

Her name is Berry and she likes to grab my attention a lot lately. I think she is under the impression I am not hunting enough or eating enough because she likes to bring me her toy mouse and very animatedly let me know :)

Try throwing it, some cats like to play fetch.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bundy posted:

The great thing about Labour/Momentum's campaign vehicle is there's poo poo loads of other stuff you can do. Twitter mine, fact check, send texts out to people, phone people if you're more at ease on the phone than face to face, or just pure data entry/tech support/computer touching.

We can ALL get Corbs into number 10!
How would I get involved in these sorts of things, through that Google form that was going around earlier? I keep wanting to actually get involved in this stuff but I only ever hear about people knocking on doors which is just absolutely not something I feel comfortable doing.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TACD posted:

How would I get involved in these sorts of things, through that Google form that was going around earlier? I keep wanting to actually get involved in this stuff but I only ever hear about people knocking on doors which is just absolutely not something I feel comfortable doing.

Yeah that shared form will get you volunteering with Momentum for non in your face things and there's a ton of friendly people involved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Your capacity is your capacity and no one should put you down for that. If all you can do is toss a small amount of money but you do that then that's amazing. If you can only manage sharing posts about Labour on social media and you share up a storm then that's fantastic. Even talking up Labour to friends and family can make a difference. Even posting on SA can help in its own little way if you're helping to motivate the base. Like, if you can't canvas yourself cause of anxiety but you can persuade 3 other people to canvas who otherwise wouldn't then that's a bigger impact than you going out on the doorstep yourself. Whatever you can do, do. Whatever you can't do, don't feel guilty about it.

e: drat my post got sniped by a catte pic, no one's gonna read it now :negative:
I read it. It's right.

It's right in general too, when we say people who should walk or bike to work we don't mean someone with polio who can only drive an automatic, and when we say people shouldn't use plastic straws we don't mean people with esophageal motility disorders. What we should be doing is removing any ablist implications from 'should'.

Bundy posted:

I buy a poppy every year for my grandad that served the entire campaign in WWII and I'll fight anyone that gives me poo poo for it.

What CAN gently caress right off is anything following 1945 being conflated in with Remembrance Day, as well as all the jingoistic poo poo around it and getting in anyone's face for choosing not to engage. It's been hijacked by nationalists and it boils my piss.

I was in Waterloo station last week, getting off at the platform furthest from the main exit and the entire gangway was full of squaddies and poppy stands it was like a halloween market. This is your remembrance on capitalism.
Mine hated people putting them on the front of vans or in twee newspaper logos and said "they're turning it into red nose day and they'll have them on sodding clown hats next."

Not sure what he'd make of

or

or

or

Lady Galaga posted:

Java Finches
code:
finch.framework.AssertationFailedError:
Expected :20.0
Actual   :20
 <Click to see difference

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I think it might be because it's pulling back the curtain a bit too much.
Kind of feel like this covers 90% of right-wing politics at the moment. Like there had once been such a thing as clever conservatism, in that they understood that you can't directly attack the poor or immigrants, or outright state support of homophobic / transphobic policy, you just have to triangulate around it and keep the curtain between the public and the real policy.

I was watching Sarah Silverman's Netflix special yesterday where she was talking about how the US political right is stealth-closing abortion clinics by legislating at a state level that (for example) their corridors have to be 8 ft wide, so because most abortion clinics can't comply with that, they are forced closed.* They know they can never overturn Roe vs Wade, they'll never win the idealogical argument, so instead they put these lovely little shunts in place.

Bullshit like this has been how the right has been hiding its evil for years, but now we seem to have both in the US and UK an absolutely naked evil laid bare - climate crisis denying, war profiteering, disaster capitalists. I know that's what they've always been underneath, but since Bush, there has been a run of high profile right wingers who have been either too stupid or too nakedly ambitious (or both) to really try to conceal it. Even Thatcher understood that you have to pretend that it's about prosperity and decency and blah blah blah.

As Ms. A was saying though, the Republicans are polling badly in the US, and in the UK Labour have one of the highest pre-purdah polling ratios ever going on, and huge crowds of activists mobilising around them. It feels like it's largely because everyone's absolutely sick of the fuckery that's been going on the last few years and how hard the right have been pushing.

Human history seems to move in cycles between left and right, and I can't help but feel like this is the endgame for the right - they have no more moves to play. They know their time is up, they know the act is not sustainable (especially once climate change ramps up and there's direct, tangible evidence of the damage capitalism is doing to the planet).

So instead, they're seeing what they can get away with in the time they have left. But the problem is that the only move left is fascism, and most people understand that democracy is important, even if they don't fully understand how or why it works.

I think it was Matt on Chapo who was saying a while back that all of the stuff about Trump & Russia, Epstein's death, Boris and May's time at the head of the conservatives, the Kochs; this all kind of feels like we're seeing something happening. We'll never see behind the curtain completely but we get these glimpses of movement back there; and we'll probably never know exactly what it is, but we get these brief wormsigns that something is going wrong.

Maybe it's just stupid people failing their way to the top, or maybe it's a bunch of greedy old men created a system that benefits greedy old men and now they're old and greedy enough that they're starting to die off without having adequately prepared successors.

Whatever it is, it feels like something is changing, and that's why I love Labour's 'Real Change' message as opposed to the Libs 'fiddle with the dials on capitalism a little longer,' and the Conservatives 'Better the literal devil you know.'

Thankyou for coming to my way-too-loving-early Ted talk, brought to you today by acid reflux, birds fighting in the loft, the cunts next door and needing to pee.

* not sure if that's an actual thing, but it's the example she used and is definitely the kind of poo poo they would pull

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 6, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think this itself is a pendulum though, because you didn't always have 'clever conservatism' in that respect.

quote:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "N****r, n****r, n****r". By 1968 you can't say "n****r"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this", is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N****r, n****r". So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the backbone.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Good luck, poppy-wearing fantasy genocidist

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
James, Cleverly avoiding questions from Kay Burley

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1192003392677261312

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Don't worry everyone, BBC's Reality Check team are on the case this election.

They ruled that Labour's claim about more expensive NHS medicines post-Tory Brexit is wrong because "it's highly unlikely that NHS spending on medicines per person would end up being the same as the US's". This conclusion is based on the fact that 79% of medicine imports are currently from the European Union and only 9% from the USA. There's no way this ratio could possibly change following a hard break from the EU...

The team also came to the conclusion that we don't need to worry about a Tory No Deal Brexit:

quote:

"Monster Crash" is a joke video with a serious message - it implies that Boris Johnson and the Conservative cabinet member Jacob Rees-Mogg stand to profit by engineering a financial crash brought on by a no-deal Brexit. ...
However, last month the prime minister renegotiated a deal with the EU, which Mr Rees-Mogg voted for. This would seem to pour cold water on the conspiracy theory that they are working to trigger a no-deal Brexit "monster crash" for financial gain.

So all is well!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Good luck, poppy-wearing fantasy genocidist
Commemorate! Commemorate!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Have the Tories bottled it? Even the BBC is running with hours of stories about Conservative scandals and gaffes and the campaign has barely started.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doccykins posted:

One of his better media appearances.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thankyou for coming to my way-too-loving-early Ted talk, brought to you today by acid reflux, birds fighting in the loft, the cunts next door and needing to pee.

Yeah, things are moving left again, wether its this election cycle or the right need to be in power for a bit longer I don't know. I'd like to think its the end of the right for ever, but I think the world will turn again.

Whats the saying.

Hard times make hard men*. Hard men make good times.
Good times make soft men. soft men make hard times.

The boomers are the epitomy of soft men made by good times.

(or women)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bundy posted:

The great thing about Labour/Momentum's campaign vehicle is there's poo poo loads of other stuff you can do. Twitter mine, fact check, send texts out to people, phone people if you're more at ease on the phone than face to face, or just pure data entry/tech support/computer touching.

We can ALL get Corbs into number 10!

All true. Plus, even if you are at a canvassing event there are jobs to be done that don't involve knocking on doors. Manning the board and keeping tally of which residents are voting which way and whether they're worth a second visit is absolutely invaluable, and the skill involved is basically ticking boxes on a piece of paper and handing it back at the end of the night. Another thing that's honestly a huge morale booster on campaigning at this time of year is turning up with a thermos of tea and handing out cups to chilly canvassers. I also can't stress enough that if you've been feeling depressed because of the hopelessness of politics, simply meeting a bunch of optimistic upbeat lefties in solidarity with one another can really help.

Or just giving money is a big help.

The only thing I'd disagree with what I've seen on here is when someone said posting in this thread is a valid form of campaigning. I love this place, but posting here isn't effective political action pretty much anything else you could do is more likely to help Labour.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doccykins posted:

Nothing is going to turn a journo against you faster than not engaging with them. Just another masterstroke from James Stupidly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

Hard men make good times.
It's true. :heysexy:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Boing posted:

Have the Tories bottled it? Even the BBC is running with hours of stories about Conservative scandals and gaffes and the campaign has barely started.

Like everything they do it'll be forgotten about in a week's time, especially since it's election time the media will find something else to latch on to.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Add to jumping-before-pushed

https://twitter.com/edvaizey/status/1192012923985641472

quote:

Wantage
Majority 17380

Con 34459
Lab 17079
LD 9234
UKIP 1284
Green 1546

Vaizey had the whip removed voting for parliament taking control of the order paper but had it restored after voting for the Johnson Withdrawal Agreement

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Tories really just can't handle elections any more. They've become so reliant on a friendly press that they don't know how to deal with even slight pressure. It's a great thing to behold.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Doccykins posted:

Genuine lol when they cut to the empty chair.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So this is the first election I've been fully politically engaged for. Is this number of MPs stepping down normal or is this an exceptionally high number?

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Its amazing to see for all the Tories and LDs have been monstering Corbyn in the press since whenever, both parties seem to be stacking it into the wall so far. I really hope that translates to votes soon

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Can someone point me towards the Momentum marginals map for canvassing that was posted at the end of the last thread? I think I've read enough posts on here now to convince me it's time to do something and I'd like to know where I'm best going. Thanks!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rarity posted:

So this is the first election I've been fully politically engaged for. Is this number of MPs stepping down normal or is this an exceptionally high number?
Not sure if it's an exceptionally high number or just people just making an exceptionally big deal out of it when they do, but definitely one of those

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Haven't checked the exact numbers, but it definitely feels like it's exceptionally high. Maybe that's just because some relatively big names are retiring, though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Rarity posted:

It's above average, but that's largely because a party would normally be in the 4/5 year routine and have candidates selected and ready.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
managing director and a particularly cunty sales manager are talking politics v loudly in the office

unsurprisingly they do not like Corbyn, because he's a dangerous communist who would have surrendered the falklands

they also "don't like Boris but might do if he promises to lower the higher rate of tax"

had to leave before I swore at both of them and got sacked

e: also the sales manager was looking at a can of treacle earlier and trying to work out why it was 454 g. "maybe it's 450 mL and that's just the weight of it?" :downs:

not particularly relevant but the guy likes to think he's technically minded and is old enough to remember decimalisation... and he just really winds me up generally

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 6, 2019

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's a fair bit higher than usual and also much younger and higher profile MPs than usual.

Like Ken Clarke types aren't that surprising because he's a million years old and wants to retire its the MPs in their 40s and 50s retiring that makes it weird.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Archaeology Hat posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a fair bit higher than usual and also much younger and higher profile MPs than usual.

They can see which way the wind is blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

stolen from gbs

Only registered members can see post attachments!