Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Does anyone have the original ‘every day twitter has a main character and it’s your job not to be that person’ tweet!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I hate that AV Videogames :(

You are right, the other thread is goldmined and the joke has played its course! :)

Hopefully this is a bit better.

Also loving the sheer incompetence of the tories before the campaign has officially begun. Is this deliberate? Do they not want to get left holding the brexit cup? It really is a sight to behold.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

Does anyone have the original ‘every day twitter has a main character and it’s your job not to be that person’ tweet!?
https://twitter.com/maplecocaine/status/1080665226410889217

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the community here is great at filtering news sources and providing the good takes on them, which is two thirds of convincing others.

I wouldn't be a Labour member or activist if not for this thread.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

xtothez posted:

What's most amazing is that the fieldwork was finished early last week, before the pre-election campaign even started. Let alone the formal campaigning starting today.

Edit: also with 31% Labour votes that leaves 69% non-Labour. Nice.

Why are multiple people unable to distinguish between LAB and LDM

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

turns out the thread is dumb as gently caress

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're political satirists trapped ten years in the past?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My dad is a huge fan of memes and forwarding emails but he sent me this one today which I though the thread might appreciate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is how they plan to win 650 seats.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Despite the fact he was physically at Sky. I'm sure this won't just piss them off even more, and certainly didn't make him look like an incompetent buffoon as well as a liar

It's also horseshit as the talk radio interview started off discussing the empty chairing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Its their brains refusing to accept that the piss diamonds could even finish second.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Thank you. Twitters search is so poo poo

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/LibDemPress/status/1192003069380300804

Libdems pulling a "2017 Theresa May - Conservative" approach, and marketing the whole thing about a rambling trainwreck speaker.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

It surprised me how many folks have a specific single issue gripe that they want to offload to somebody they feel is linked to the cause of it. 'My mums care home closed due to funding cuts, my son's school became an academy and now performs poorly, the community health visitor team has been slashed so new mums who cant get out are left to fend for themselves'. Just being a sounding board for them to go off on goes a long way to building a bridge. You do need a degree of resilience for this though, some people have really been through the wringer.

I had to turn off direct messaging on our CLP FB page during the 2017 GE. We don't have a labour mp so ultimately there is diddly squat we or the candidate could do really. The final straw was a most distressing long set of messages from one individual who had a whole heap of complex disability / housing / police issues and - I'm not sure what the correct term is now - less well-educated.
I gave him our tory MP's contact details and his response was 'I voted for you so you are my MP*'. I did what I could to close off the messaging kindly, then turned off the direct messages.
They've been turned on again for this GE but thankfully there are 2 or 3 other people running the page this time not me!

Ed: *He was referring to his vote in 2015 campaign when we had the same candidate.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 6, 2019

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

whoever posted it before was right, she really is the Verruca Salt of politicians

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Libdems pulling a "2017 Theresa May - Conservative" approach, and marketing the whole thing about a rambling trainwreck speaker.

im the solitary known policy obstructed by a wheel arch

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Boing posted:

Have the Tories bottled it? Even the BBC is running with hours of stories about Conservative scandals and gaffes and the campaign has barely started.

It's still too early to say but I am noticing a lot of 'just wait until Boris starts his campaign!' from the usuals. Sure ok lads might want to get on that.

If it continues as it is you're going to get the first rounds of nervous panic in about two weeks and then full meltdown once we're into December.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Total Meatlove posted:

Thank you. Twitters search is so poo poo

if you need to search for something that was on twitter just use google

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kecske posted:

whoever posted it before was right, she really is the Verruca Salt of politicians

Jo Swinson is Karen from HR. We all know a Karen from HR and we all despise her.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Can someone relink that momentum form?

I can barely make the end of the road right now but I can still shitpost and/or stuff letters into envelopes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rustybear posted:

It's still too early to say but I am noticing a lot of 'just wait until Boris starts his campaign!' from the usuals. Sure ok lads might want to get on that.

If it continues as it is you're going to get the first rounds of nervous panic in about two weeks and then full meltdown once we're into December.

Everyone else has been campaigning for almost a full week and all Boris has done is a lovely "please think about the rich this election season" column in the Telegraph.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Failed Imagineer posted:

In my case. Dyslexia

Jose posted:

turns out the thread is dumb as gently caress

And this. (see my avatar title. Its based on fact.)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

DesperateDan posted:

Can someone relink that momentum form?

I can barely make the end of the road right now but I can still shitpost and/or stuff letters into envelopes
there's a couple - the official one https://momentum.nationbuilder.com/volunteer

and the super-secret one https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPBceytBGB9aZWyDMIDJivokm40sa7PuOoufmcPoEp-U383A/viewform

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Has tory brown-noser Peston seen the light?

quote:

Is Boris Johnson already mucking up the election he desperately wanted?

The cliche, from my memory already creaking under the political strain, is that oppositions never win elections, governments lose them.

Well this election is only a few hours old and Boris Johnson and his team - who let's not forget - have been gagging for this election for months are doing a spectacular job of mucking it up.

There's been Jacob Rees-Mogg and Andrew Bridgen engaging in a humiliating double act of insensitivity towards the victims of the Grenfell tragedy.

There's been the Tory candidate in the Gower revealed to have said benefit claimants should be put down.

There's been the pressure on the Welsh secretary Alun Cairns not to stand in the election because of his erstwhile support for a former aide who has been accused of sabotaging a rape trial.

There's been the furore over Conservative Central HQ editing an interviewing with Labour's Brexit spokesman Starmer, such that the story has become one about whether the Tories are spreading fake news rather than what the Tories would prefer which is whether Labour's approach to Brexit is coherent.

And then there has been the chancellor Sajid Javid being slapped down by the Cabinet Secretary for wanting to publish Treasury officials calculations of the cost of Labour's spending plans, in what looked like the misuse of public resources for election propaganda.

Oh, and then there's been Johnson's refusal to publish an official report into Putin's interference in the UK - which has promoted all sorts of conspiracy theories about what the PM may have to hide.

Let's be clear, none of this may be cutting through to anyone but obsessives like you and me. And polling day itself is weeks away.

But coherence, morale and momentum matter in campaigns. And they tend to self-reinforce, in a virtuous or vicious way.

And what may be much more serious for the Tories is less the gaffes and more that their messaging has been all over the shop.

My clear understanding from those controversial "Downing Street Sources" in the past couple of months was that the election would be exclusively about "getting Brexit done", with a bit of window dressing of more money for schools, hospitals and the police,

And that would be the whole thing.

But in the past days and hours pretty much all I've heard from the Tories is "Jews will leave Britain if Corbyn wins", "Corbyn is too cosy with Putin", "Corbyn doesn't believe in profit", "a vote for the LibDems or SNP is a vote for Corbyn", and so on.

Maybe the Tories have secret polling to show that the best way to win the election is to vilify Labour's leader.

But the lesson of Theresa May's ill-fated 2017 election was that demonising Corbyn deified him amongst his supporters, felt over-the-top to neutrals and simply shored up a bunch of Tory supporters who were never going to vote Labour.

And a prime minister who owns a closet full of skeletons risks legitimising a race-to-the-bottom in ad hominem attacks.

To state the obvious, it is early days.

And Boris Johnson is not in fact launching the Tories' official campaign till 7.30 tonight.

Perhaps after that there will be shape and discipline to their game. But with Labour's ground and digital game looking professional, focussed and ruthless, the Tories may well have a bigger problem than they may choose to admit.

source: itv.com/news/2019-11-06/is-johnson-already-mucking-up-the-election-he-desperately-wanted/

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Momentum volunteering signup form: https://forms.gle/rSApq7hYfYSKzKzg6 (I don't think it matters which team you tick on there, the teams are all organised within Slack from what I can tell). You'll get a few emails back with stuff to sign (like a data agreement for GDPR presumably, and so on), then a Slack invite email.

There are teams for photo and video production, research, computer touching, calling, texting, so don't worry too much about whether you have particularly applicable skills!

I will say that so far the Slack has been a very positive space and seems to be fairly loose with rules and such so if you feel like you might be interested, then it could be worth a look. You'd also be able to lurk for a while if you fancy it without really getting involved in discussions. While I appreciate that might not help people suffering anxiety about helping out (and that's okay!), I figured I'd mention it. As others in the thread have said - from each according to their ability.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

You are right, the other thread is goldmined and the joke has played its course! :)

Hopefully this is a bit better.

Also loving the sheer incompetence of the tories before the campaign has officially begun. Is this deliberate? Do they not want to get left holding the brexit cup? It really is a sight to behold.

Yes it is and you have my love again.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bundy posted:

I wouldn't be a Labour member or activist if not for this thread.

All true, but though this thread is a great source of information, opinions and solidarity, it gets its value from being the launch pad from which tangible things happen. Every little bit of activism nudges the needle a couple of nanometers towards Corbyn as PM.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

njsykora posted:

Everyone else has been campaigning for almost a full week and all Boris has done is a lovely "please think about the rich this election season" column in the Telegraph.

If he does blow it, and that's still a big if, I can't wait to hear the excuses.

Remember back in in June he was supposed to be this energetic force who would take the fight to Corbyn and Farage; I'm bowled over by the dynamism so far.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

You rock, thanks

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
As several other people have said this thread has actually radicalised a lot of people. Me certainly, with actual leftish policies this is my second vote for Labour after having the "they're all the loving same" cynicism and voting for the funniest independent before then. There was also that one guy who was originally supposed to spy on this thread for capital and got radicalised, which is still hilarious.

Anyway, Cummies what are you doing this is not the way to run an election grid ffs

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/06/government-universal-credit-deception-asa-taxpayer-funded-features
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50304322

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Rustybear posted:

If he does blow it, and that's still a big if, I can't wait to hear the excuses.

Remember back in in June he was supposed to be this energetic force who would take the fight to Corbyn and Farage; I'm bowled over by the dynamism so far.

Johnson never ceases to amaze me.
I knew he would gently caress things up, but time and time again he goes above and beyond the call of duty. The only reason he has a chance in this election is because the last 20+ years have been spent stacking the deck in the tories favour.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

RockyB posted:

There was also that one guy who was originally supposed to spy on this thread for capital and got radicalised, which is still hilarious.

What was this?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Necrothatcher posted:

All true, but though this thread is a great source of information, opinions and solidarity, it gets its value from being the launch pad from which tangible things happen. Every little bit of activism nudges the needle a couple of nanometers towards Corbyn as PM.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that people should be using threadposting as a substitute for doing other things, by any means. I'm just acknowledging that for people with mental health issues, physical disabilities or extreme financial insecurity they might not be able to do much more than post in this thread and reassuring that even by doing that their contributions still have value. If not for this thread then all the people here talking about canvassing, donating, volunteering and all that other poo poo wouldn't be doing anything.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
You know this election being pre-Christmas could help Labours 'more money in the pockets of normal people' vibe, I'm already dreading being halfway through that months paycheck and having to somehow squeeze the Christmas costs out of it too.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Aramoro posted:

My dad is a huge fan of memes and forwarding emails but he sent me this one today which I though the thread might appreciate.

I've seen friends rightfully skeptical of Labour (given its past poor record on LGBT issues and present cohort of TERFs) gleefully sharing that one from Labour pages.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Rustybear posted:

What was this?

It came up the last time this thread has this "but posting here doesn't really help anything" derail, I want to say 6 months, a year ago? Back around 2008 some lad was employed by a finance company to 'monitor threats', which included this thread. So he read it and got :marxed: instead.

Might have mixed up a fair few details there, but the outline stuck with me.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

I wouldn't underestimate how many people have been educated/radicalised in this thread though. Yeah it's obviously no where near as impactful as a lot of other things but positive, inviting, informative spaces like this do make a difference.

I was still pissed off with Blair when I found this thread, and mostly just voted against the government or spoiled the ballot. They're all the same, right? Now, having lurked here for about a year, I'm a Labour member. So you guys are definitely making a difference

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

Sid Meier's Liberal Democrats 6

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Starting to feel somewhat optimistic about this GE! Labour have been smashing their optics and the tories have started by somehow putting 3 feet in their mouth.

All that's left is for it to reach voters, im going to sign up and do stuff for momentum. I might be from a very lefty area in a very lefty city and have Anxiety Issues, but I'm a computer monkey by trade and can volunteer for data entry and web stuff.

Feels good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rustybear posted:

What was this?

Edit ignore, answered, sort of