Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Some retailers take your old car seats and give you coupons for new ones.

Still, that's good practice very obviously ruining safety equipment that should not be used anymore.

I know a national chain that does this. They ship back to manufacturers/distributors now. You can't put them in the compactor so they ended up in dumpsters. Wouldn't you know it, they caught people grabbing that poo poo out of the trash to sell at flea markets. I don't even work there and ran people off I found doing that. Invariably, they rolled up in newer luxury cars with an older person driving. Drugs, probably, but what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Piggy Smalls posted:

I remember visiting Buenos Aires and it was freezing cold.

You have rotten luck.

Buenos Aires only gets frost twice per year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Piggy Smalls posted:

I remember visiting Buenos Aires and it was freezing cold. We stopped at a gas station and were told we had to exit our vehicle. I didn’t know what the gently caress they were talking about since here in the US you don’t have to do that. I guess the cars run on gas (as in air gas) and if your in your car and there’s a leak you’d suffocate in your car. At least that’s what I was told.
Yeah, CNG probably? I've never had a car with it but it's lighter than air and could get trapped in the passenger compartment perhaps if it leaked. They don't let you park in underground garages either.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Piggy Smalls posted:

I remember visiting Buenos Aires and it was freezing cold.

Having lives there for a time, what the hell. It's a coastal city not too far south, it's pretty moderate all things considered.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
*wipes away a tear* It's so... beautiful!

The best warning signs are the most eloquent imo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Given the intended purpose of a WWI helmet (shrapnel protection), would a modern hard hat do basically the same job? Clearly it's going to degrade faster due to the brittle nature of plastic, but for the first hit, would it be about the same protection?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Memento posted:

Given the intended purpose of a WWI helmet (shrapnel protection), would a modern hard hat do basically the same job? Clearly it's going to degrade faster due to the brittle nature of plastic, but for the first hit, would it be about the same protection?

No. Before WWI the spiked helmets the Germans had were made out of boiled leather, like the old helmets firefighters used to use, and shell splinters (and fragments of rock or whatever) went through them like a knife in a Cold Steel commercial, leading to the development of the Stahlhelm. 5mm of ABS or whatever isn't going to offer any ballistic protection against shrapnel.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Please feed the alligators"?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

"Sacrificing the young to your god Sobek to ensure futile crops"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dr_rat posted:

"Sacrificing the young to your god Sobek to ensure futile crops"

...so you're saying not to sacrifice to Sobek if you want non-futile crops?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

"If your alligator won't jump back over the fence, try luring it with Ben Shapiro."

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer
Came across this scene on my way to work (in Belgium):

:aaa:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Serephina posted:

*wipes away a tear* It's so... beautiful!

The best warning signs are the most eloquent imo.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

No. Before WWI the spiked helmets the Germans had were made out of boiled leather, like the old helmets firefighters used to use, and shell splinters (and fragments of rock or whatever) went through them like a knife in a Cold Steel commercial, leading to the development of the Stahlhelm. 5mm of ABS or whatever isn't going to offer any ballistic protection against shrapnel.

What about a modern motorcycle helmet?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Big Dick Cheney posted:

What about a modern motorcycle helmet?
It won't offer ballistic protection against that either....

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

...so you're saying not to sacrifice to Sobek if you want non-futile crops?

Like, I can only say what the sign says, not how you want to live your life. :shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I choose society over chaos and filth

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i miss magpies, i used to leave rotten strawberries on the windowsill and they'd trade me for shiny bits of foil.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pail Ale posted:

When it comes to farm equipment, I like to assume that the notices were put it after that same incident occurred.

Almost certainly. Hell, that's how most safety equipment/warnings come about.

I think I talked about this before, but medical equipment is the same way. Enough patients die because a doctor/nurse/random person walking into the room increased the medication flow, or reduced oxygen, etc... so a new safety measure is put in place.

I specialized in testing and repairing anesthesia equipment, and they are a textbook example of that. Things like a physical interlock between the nitrous and oxygen knobs so that a doctor can't increase the nitrous without also increasing the oxygen, because enough people died because too many of them did exactly that.

The oxygen supply knob is also larger and has different knurling than the nitrous and air knobs so if a doctor is blindly fumbling for a knob, he's less likely to mistake another knob for the O2.

Gas vaporizer interlocks. Nitrous isn't the only anesthetic gas used, other gasses, like Sevolfurane, Desflurane, etc... are delivered by small vaporizer modules that attach to the front of the machine. If one is opened, it locks out any other ones from being opened to prevent more than one anesthetic gas from being delivered at a time. The modules also have keyed fittings to refill, so you can't put Sevoflurane into the Desflurane vaporizer.

There's more, and I actually just found a good paper on it here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821264/

It has citations about cases where a patient did die or was injured before a given safety feature was implemented.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Most safety regulations are written in blood.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

that’s so english. I was in scotland recently and there was a sign at an outdoor seafood spot that read something like

PLEASE GAURD YOUR FOOD FROM SEAGULLS
FOOD TAKEN BY SEAGULLS WILL NOT BE REPLACED
(THE SEAGULLS DO NOT WORK FOR US)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Almost certainly. Hell, that's how most safety equipment/warnings come about.

I think I talked about this before, but medical equipment is the same way. Enough patients die because a doctor/nurse/random person walking into the room increased the medication flow, or reduced oxygen, etc... so a new safety measure is put in place.

I specialized in testing and repairing anesthesia equipment, and they are a textbook example of that. Things like a physical interlock between the nitrous and oxygen knobs so that a doctor can't increase the nitrous without also increasing the oxygen, because enough people died because too many of them did exactly that.

The oxygen supply knob is also larger and has different knurling than the nitrous and air knobs so if a doctor is blindly fumbling for a knob, he's less likely to mistake another knob for the O2.

Gas vaporizer interlocks. Nitrous isn't the only anesthetic gas used, other gasses, like Sevolfurane, Desflurane, etc... are delivered by small vaporizer modules that attach to the front of the machine. If one is opened, it locks out any other ones from being opened to prevent more than one anesthetic gas from being delivered at a time. The modules also have keyed fittings to refill, so you can't put Sevoflurane into the Desflurane vaporizer.

There's more, and I actually just found a good paper on it here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821264/

It has citations about cases where a patient did die or was injured before a given safety feature was implemented.

I heard a couple years ago about a new hospital that hooked up the O2 and CO2 (?) lines backwards and patients died from getting something other than oxygen. It really disturbed me, so I'm not really willing to look for it again.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's a thread classic at this point, but the story of the THERAC-25 is well worth revisiting when talking about medical technology gently caress-ups
https://hackaday.com/2015/10/26/killed-by-a-machine-the-therac-25/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I was reading the list of civilian radiation accidents wikiped the other day, as one is wont to do, and there were at least two "software hosed up, patient given massive overdose" incidents post-therac.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

ATP_Power posted:

It's a thread classic at this point, but the story of the THERAC-25 is well worth revisiting when talking about medical technology gently caress-ups
https://hackaday.com/2015/10/26/killed-by-a-machine-the-therac-25/

THERAC-25 is more of a classic story of how a lack of rigorous and independent testing combined with management cheaping out on a safety interlock under the mistaken belief that software would not have bugs resulted in several people being maimed or killed by a powerful gamma radiation source.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like the Tesla autopilot poo poo is going to be in textbooks along THERAC-25 as a case study in dangerous software

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Live action Breakfast Of Champions looking good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like the Tesla autopilot poo poo is going to be in textbooks along THERAC-25 as a case study in dangerous software

I just saw a news article on business insider that most bazingas feel safer with autopilot. I guess because they are inside the death machine and the innocent pedestrians are outside. And the ones that get trapped inside when the car catches on fire aren't alive to participate in surveys.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Bazingas?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Volcott posted:

Bazingas?

Nerds I think.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

I just saw a news article on business insider that most bazingas feel safer with autopilot. I guess because they are inside the death machine and the innocent pedestrians are outside. And the ones that get trapped inside when the car catches on fire aren't alive to participate in surveys.

Car drives better than them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Elon Musk fans, specifically.

snugglz posted:

that’s so english.
Prince Edward Island is a Canadian province.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

All 'self-driving' cars, not just Tesla autopilot are a loving disaster currently.

I think this counts as OSHA:

Engadget posted:

Although the [system] detected the pedestrian nearly six seconds before impact ... it never classified her as a pedestrian, because she was crossing at a location without a crosswalk [and] the system design did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians.
----
Prosecutors have already absolved Uber of criminal liability, but are still weighing criminal charges against the driver.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/florida-zip-line-park-trnd/index.html

quote:

A mother from Florida is suing an indoor entertainment park after her 10-year-old son was injured after falling 20 to 25 feet from a zip line and onto the concrete surface below, according to a lawsuit filed by the mother.
According to the FDACS incident report, the boy was seen in a video walking from the harness area to the dispatch area "without having his harness fully secured." During the video, the investigator notes that the "leg straps can be seen not buckled" and that he could be seen "holding his body weight with his arms" while riding the Sky Rider.

It's baffling to me that there was bare concrete under the zipline and not some sort of padding.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

snugglz posted:

that’s so english. I was in scotland recently and there was a sign at an outdoor seafood spot that read something like

PLEASE GAURD YOUR FOOD FROM SEAGULLS
FOOD TAKEN BY SEAGULLS WILL NOT BE REPLACED
(THE SEAGULLS DO NOT WORK FOR US)

We get these kinds of signs in Australia, too. The advice goes something like
  • Do not eat while walking on the sidewalk.
  • Try wearing a large hat.
  • Next time, walk somewhere else.
That sidewalk belongs to the magpies now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/florida-zip-line-park-trnd/index.html

It's baffling to me that there was bare concrete under the zipline and not some sort of padding.

That place looked like it used to be a store, someone bought it, threw up some lovely plywood walls, and then installed a rock climbing wall and a zipline. I doubt any thought went into that place at all besides calling up the supplier for the zipline and getting someone to install it. The installer probably even told them they need something on the ground just in case and the owner said something along the lines of "Ok yeah, sure, thanks" while talking on the phone to the rock climbing wall company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Did Dexter Stratton finally achieve his goals?