Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1191868397623152640

Everything is Stalinism. Making me pay taxes? Stalinism. Recording me beating my girlfriend? Stalinism. Pointing out I conspired to beat up a journalist? Buddy, you better believe that's Stalinism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I feel like every time a political party finds a single poll that says that those surveyed think somewhat highly of the leader they decide to turn up the Cult Of Personality dial to maximum. No possible ways this could backfire this time, clearly the public madly love this one individual unconditionally and forever.

On a related note, i'm waiting to see what angle Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservative Ruth Davidson Party go with now that she's gone. She was their whole campaign for years.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Pesmerga posted:

They’d put Priti Patel in the Amber Rudd playing Theresa May seat? It’s like Boris Johnson is desperate to lose the next election.
Boris, Farage and everyone else has realised that they can't deliver the Brexit unicorn and are now all trying to grift a way out so they can carry on the Anti EU gravy train. And that means putting Labour
in the position to take the heat for a cancelled Brexit.

Or it's just that Brexiteers are by their nature terrible and incompetent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Extremely weird they're making her the Face of the party, understandable about BoJo because he's been in public spotlight for years and years, and same with Corbz as he represents the ideological shift away from centrist Labour and has the voting record to prove it.

But Jo?

The leader of the Lib Dems has to be an MP. Everyone else who wanted it had already done it and failed miserably.

Also I am informed that even before the latest round of :clegg: Vince Cable was saying that Lib Dem voters should vote Labour if that's what it took to get the Tories out. Of course he's standing down and has nothing to lose, but still - a rare moment of honesty and conscience.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Welsh cabinet minister has quit on the first day of campaigning.

Not a good start Boris.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
They're not trying to lose the election they just have no idea how to speak to anyone who either doesn't support them 100% lock and stock or isn't directly employed by them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xtothez posted:

Not a good start Boris.

"Oh I'm sure he's just resigning to spend more time with his family"

*checks notes*

"we regret to inform you it's over his handling of the legal proceedings over rape"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Flavible is the site which said the Lib Dems are going to take Corbyns seat so they're just laughably wrong when it comes to anything.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Angepain posted:

On a related note, i'm waiting to see what angle Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservative Ruth Davidson Party go with now that she's gone. She was their whole campaign for years.

The replacement for Ruth Davidson is Ruth Davidson

https://twitter.com/bbclornag/status/1189132325273124870

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
he's resigning to spend more time with his lawyer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'll be honest, I only started posting in UKMT because it seemed like a rare leftish community in the hell that was the early coalition years. I think specifically it was reading Spangly A posts about his experience with the benefits system that made me realise this was a cool place to hang. So I can't say the thread radicalised me at all or changed my politics, but I am at least glad I found somewhere online that I could talk about politics and not feel like a mad outlier. I will say that the thread put somewhat of a dent in my support for Scottish independence at least.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 6, 2019

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Jedit posted:

The leader of the Lib Dems has to be an MP. Everyone else who wanted it had already done it and failed miserably.

Also I am informed that even before the latest round of :clegg: Vince Cable was saying that Lib Dem voters should vote Labour if that's what it took to get the Tories out. Of course he's standing down and has nothing to lose, but still - a rare moment of honesty and conscience.

Yeah but surely if your leader isn't charismatic, well known or liked you'd have your optics go the route of "The Party, not the person" or focusing on the local MP hopefuls rather than slapping JO PRESENTS... THE LIBDEMS on the side of a bus and driving it round the country.

I don't understand.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Does anyone have the link to the newspaper collecting examples of misleading leaflets? I can't find it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Sanford posted:

I have asked for an aviary for Xmas (or at least what I need to turn one end of the garage + large bit of garden into an aviary) and I am super excited about getting zebra finches, gouldian finches and java sparrows.

Also I took a massive risk last night and asked a cab driver if he's registered to vote, and who he's voting for. It was a toss-up between Labour and "UKIP, mind you they're Brexit party now aren't they and I've had enough of that BOLLOCKS". I got him talking about his friend who's had to sleep on a sofabed in the living room for six years and it turns out we both know the same guy so hopefully that helped turn him round. Tbh I was just glad to find myself dropped off at home and not on the side of the road up on the moors somewhere.
:dance: take good care of your birbs, and please post lots of pictures and videos!

also i hope the cab driver votes Labour now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's Chuka's time to shine baby!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

xtothez posted:

Not a good start Boris.

Because he sabotaged a rape trial.

The Tories are going to keep absolutely loving up in ways that should be the death nail for any political party and still get over 35% of the vote.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TTerrible posted:

Does anyone have the link to the newspaper collecting examples of misleading leaflets? I can't find it.

It was the Graun but I don't have the link.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1192013859944579072

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1192028485151158274

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Because he sabotaged a rape trial.

The Tories are going to keep absolutely loving up in ways that should be the death nail for any political party and still get over 35% of the vote.

death knell

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Sanford posted:

I have asked for an aviary for Xmas (or at least what I need to turn one end of the garage + large bit of garden into an aviary) and I am super excited about getting zebra finches, gouldian finches and java sparrows.

Gouldians in my experience are easy to get sick, the ones I've bought died less than a month later. Zebras are pretty hardy, breed like crazy and the babies are super cute with black beaks that fade into their bright orange when they mature

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Maybe the Graun will go Labour this time?

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1191997122654146561?s=20

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The UKMT is going nuts. I can barely keep up.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
I can't remember the details but somebody back in June advanced the theory that none of the tory 'talent' outside a small number of ultra-loyalists would serve in bozza's cabinet which is why he ended up with a cabinet consisting entirely of people who have resigned in disgrace within the last 18 months.

So expect more of this I guess...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

web design is my passion http://www.brexitparty2019.co.uk/index.php

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

The contact info links to this twitter: https://twitter.com/BarryBscho/

He can't be real :psyduck:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

Don't worry, only another 5 weeks like this. Well, maybe 6 or 7 depending on the election results & if there's another hung parliament.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait for the hot "remainer speaker deliberately blocked Brexit" takes to come back now...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

genuinely can't work out if this is parody or not

edit:

Loving this image of a girl walking through a brown wasteland full of dying plants and denuded trees. Onwards!

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 6, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Now I can't work out if this is their genuine website or one you have made as a joke. It's so BAD!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Quoting myself but he links https://webhouses.co.uk/store in his bio and it's just as bad as the brexit party site. :stare:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Yeah but surely if your leader isn't charismatic, well known or liked you'd have your optics go the route of "The Party, not the person" or focusing on the local MP hopefuls rather than slapping JO PRESENTS... THE LIBDEMS on the side of a bus and driving it round the country.

I don't understand.

It's purely them believing their own hype, because they're so convinced there's a thirst for their failed brand of centrism, and that their way back as a party is entirely on revoking Brexit and pretending it never happened, without attempting to analyse, fix or address any of the underlying issues that led to it.

Oh my god my eyes this can't be real but I need it to be real

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 6, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jippa posted:

Tories make a million dollars,
I make a dime,
That's why I threadshit,
On company time.

Camrath posted:

Edit: and to fully complete the change, fired off the volunteer form for momentum straight after typing this out. Ngl, I’m terrified (mental health stuff has kept me mostly housebound for the past few years), but perhaps this’ll be what I need as well as helping gently caress the tories in whatever way.

Solidarity mate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I don't understand.
Yeah, the Liberals have always traditionally done best in places where the politics of Westminster seem a million miles away and they've got well liked constituency MPs that raise local issues that nobody would otherwise care about and have a good ground game. Cornwall, the Highlands, Shetland and Orkney, places like that (before Clegg ruined it by becoming a party of government Tory subservience).

Going around in the Jo Coach seems completely counter to that when most people don't know who she is. And making it all about her when she votes more Tory than Gove could backfire spectacularly in those constituencies where you vote Lib Dem to keep the Tories out.

I voted Lib Dem in local elections all this decade (boo wall etc) because the guy lived nearby, talked to us, and was fundamentally a decent person who'd take our issues to the county council, and everyone knew him. A lot of that vote went Labour when he died last year, but the Labour guy just wasn't as well known, so it's now Office Tory #17 who's name I can't even recall.

TTerrible posted:

quote:

Brexit Party member. No Euro No EU Army. Helps with getting Good Twitter back, faster operating system with free programs, virus and ransomware.
EU Army put malware on my Window$$$ now linux is my best friend.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Activist Speaker says fighting WW2 was a mistake!

They actually did in 2017 as well.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Definitely voting for these guys to improve the gov.uk universal credits site :D

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tribunemagazine/status/1192057766371872768?s=20

Love me, love me, Love me, I'm a liberal

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

:black101:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That store link is some weird hand curated eBay marketplace. You email him jpegs and he puts up an item. There is an inexplicable filter by music genre. If you click "rock" it shows you a Toshiba Satellite laptop listed in 2017.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do any of you watch Novara Media's Tysky Sours? They had a great one yesterday with the leader of the Firefighter's Union. The one that re-affiliated with Labour for the first time in donkey's years after Corbyn became leader.

Good lad, and when Mike said "fireman" the guy cut-him off almost immediately to say "we say firefighter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/05/michael-gove-tweets-election

quote:

Meanwhile – and I barely know how to explain this – the BBC politics live editor Rob Burley and many of his too-online blue-tick friends got suckered in by an #FBPE parody account that accused him of manufacturing an audience plant on Question Time which included cutting a young Tory fox hunter’s hair “to make him look like a regular working-class youngster”

https://twitter.com/KateMaltby/status/1190266710810648576?s=20