Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Danaru posted:

This is super relatable and it catches me up every time I visit the states, also delivery places dont have The Machine either and it's like cool I love vacationing in Bedrock you loving cavemen

When I first visited Canada I was blown away by how much more convenient it was, while my friends were blown away by how it wasn't a thing in the U.S. Delivery places here should at least have it. I think some do, but not most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Wait, what is this Machine you’re talking about?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One does not describe The Machine, one merely provides it or accepts it when granted. In rare cases, if The Machine is not provided fast enough, it is allowed to request its presence.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/maimonides_nutz/status/1191438109201690629?s=20

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Wait, what is this Machine you’re talking about?

In Canada and some other countries, when you pay at a restaurant they bring the credit card machine to you rather than taking your card away. This really threw off my rhythm the first time I visited Canada.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Everywhere but America you can tap your card or phone to pay and it's wonderful.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Contactless is becoming more common here but mostly in chain stores.

We were also really slow to adopt chip technology. IIRC nobody wanted to pay for upgrading all the systems.

And we still don't really use chip and PIN which means we still have to sign paper receipts in other countries, which makes clerks very confused.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

What's the deal with the US and money? My friend works doing invoices for a European company that builds machine parts and their American clients can't seem to do bank to bank transfers of money. Instead they will post a cheque in an envelope to Europe. Or even worse, just bundle $5000 into the envelope and send that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eschenique posted:

What's the deal with the US and money? My friend works doing invoices for a European company that builds machine parts and their American clients can't seem to do bank to bank transfers of money. Instead they will post a cheque in an envelope to Europe. Or even worse, just bundle $5000 into the envelope and send that.

Basically the US is an rear end-backwards shithole and capitalist service providers will do the bare-rear end minimum to convince Americans that USA#1 without cutting into their own profits.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Eschenique posted:

Wire transfers often involve a hefty fee.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

zakharov posted:

In Canada and some other countries, when you pay at a restaurant they bring the credit card machine to you rather than taking your card away. This really threw off my rhythm the first time I visited Canada.

Oh. We have that in Eastern Europe. Have had it for some years now. Recently they started introducing cell service based ones for businesses that work in the field, e.g. plumbers and similar.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

zakharov posted:

Contactless is becoming more common here but mostly in chain stores.

We were also really slow to adopt chip technology. IIRC nobody wanted to pay for upgrading all the systems.

And we still don't really use chip and PIN which means we still have to sign paper receipts in other countries, which makes clerks very confused.

If I bring a stone wheel to the us, will I be lauded as a visionary inventor?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Eschenique posted:

Depending on your bank, there are huge fees or it’s just really inconvenient to do a simple money transfer.

This is because banks make a profit in various ways because of it (more overdraft fees because you can’t get money sent, fees for sending money, etc., etc.) because ‘freedom’ to the right wing means no regulations on predatory business policies like that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zakharov posted:

Out of interest does anyone know what the rate of card fraud is in the US? I mean apart from it being faster and more convenient it means I never give my card to anyone so there's no chance of cloning there.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

If I bring a stone wheel to the us, will I be lauded as a visionary inventor?

Allow me to continue. A large amount of businesses here straight up don't accept cards, or set a minimum purchase for using one.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Out of interest does anyone know what the rate of card fraud is in the US? I mean apart from it being faster and more convenient it means I never give my card to anyone so there's no chance of cloning there.

I don't know but I've paid via the takeaway method many times and never had my card stolen by a dastardly server 🤷‍♂️

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Eschenique posted:

Lot of good responses to this but yeah any time you think "Why does the US do [dumb thing that other countries figured out decades ago]" the answer can always be reduced to terminal capitalism poisoning

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zakharov posted:

and where does Florence fit into this?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

zakharov posted:

Allow me to continue. A large amount of businesses here straight up don't accept cards, or set a minimum purchase for using one.

So I'd be burned as a witch

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Aramoro posted:

It's incredibly high. I grew up in the UK but in 5 years of living here it happens every 18 months to 2 years.
Always get the money back immediately, chase are pretty quick at fixing it and you can go into a branch and get a new card printed on the spot, but yeah it happens a lot.

NEVER use a debit card in the US, only for withdrawing cash from within your banks own atm. They don't have the same level of protection / insurance.

I usually know exactly when it gets cloned too, but there's little you can do about it. One was at a bar and their card reader was down so they were taking payment by writing down your card details to run later. I tried to complain and got a manager and they called security over to force me to hand over my card. 3 weeks later I get a phonecall at 2am from my bank asking if I'm trying to spend $4k at Walmart...
Everyone I was with got their card cloned that night.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

It's incredibly high. I grew up in the UK but in 5 years of living here it happens every 18 months to 2 years.
Always get the money back immediately, chase are pretty quick at fixing it and you can go into a branch and get a new card printed on the spot, but yeah it happens a lot.

I usually know exactly when it gets cloned too, but there's little you can do about it. One was at a bar and their card reader was down so they were taking payment by writing down your card details to run later. I tried to complain and got a manager and they called security over to force me to hand over my card. 3 weeks later I get a phonecall at 2am from my bank asking if I'm trying to spend $4k at Walmart...
Everyone I was with got their card cloned that night.

The writing numbers down thing is hilariously insecure but you really get defrauded every 18 months?

I've had credit cards here for over a decade and gotten defrauded once.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah, 4 times in 5 years.
Once was a moving company - they again wrote down the card details on paper and we're holding my stuff hostage in the van until I let them take the details. (A large chain too - I complained and maybe they fired the guys in the van on my job but I couldn't prove anything)
Once was at the bar, another was with trupark - again someone writing the card number down on paper, and the last time I couldn't figure it out.

It does need to be said I live in Miami - we are the fraud capital of the US. Its extremely common here.
I'm pretty diligent too - I've only let it happen when I've had no choice, but the number of times I've been asked to email over my full card details or read them out over the phone to someone to write down in insane. I always refuse, but my count would be way higher if I didn't.

cubicle gangster has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Nov 6, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

America is basically third world at this point.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Olaf The Stout posted:

Adding this guy as an honorable target on my eat-the-rich checklist.

That's super genius Mr Wonderful you're talking about. Have some respect for his big super brain that made him all rich and nothing else.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

JoelJoel posted:

That's super genius Mr Wonderful you're talking about. Have some respect for his big super brain that made him all rich and nothing else.

Please loving tell me this is real because holy christ lmao

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Danaru posted:

It is! His performance on that show was embarrassing at best, and not just because he was bad at it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Danaru posted:

100 percent. And he was a smug gently caress about it the whole time. And yes, that's sports ball man Aaron Rodgers kicking his dumb, bougie rear end.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

JoelJoel posted:

I like that he can't spell "wonderful" :allears:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

JoelJoel posted:

100 percent. And he was a smug gently caress about it the whole time. And yes, that's sports ball man Aaron Rodgers kicking his dumb, bougie rear end.

Aaron Rodgers is smart as gently caress. Also to his right is Astronaut Mark Kelly. I'm glad he got his rear end handed to him. Eat the rich.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Totally fits within the tone of the films. I hope this is leaked spec script

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I still hope Kevin O'Leary dies in a grease fire, but I find it kind of amusing that he seems to be at least vaguely aware of what a huge piece of poo poo he is. The other sharks are always dunking on him for it. When even Mark Cuban thinks you're a piece of poo poo, dang.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

how many do you mean by "decent" either absolutely or proportionately?

They have like 5 or 6 specialty websites, one of those is devoted to women topping men.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/marloweml/status/1191903151756120065?s=21

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Kevin O’Leary and his wife crashed into another boat and killed someone this summer.

Brett Wilson is another idiot Dragon. He may not have killed anyone, but he’s a huge tar sands defender to the point that he thinks that anyone who opposes Alberta oil should be hanged.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DTantaquidgeon/status/1191948345230708736

Hahahah ohhoho oh h sob sob

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yellow Ant posted:

Brett Wilson is another idiot Dragon. He may not have killed anyone, but he’s a huge tar sands defender to the point that he thinks that anyone who opposes Alberta oil should be hanged.

Yeah and this isn't an exaggeration. He literally had tweeted calls for the death of oilsands critics, but that's content for the other thread.

I actually met the guy once while working in a mall in Calgary. He was an rear end in a top hat about his loyalty card not working but still somehow dumb enough to have me sign him up for new one. I wasn't complaining because we got rewards for doing that and it sure as gently caress beat calling the staff help hotline and dealing with them for forty minutes to fix his old account.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Biplane posted:

America is basically third world at this point.

Name one country that allows you to openly carry weapons in the street that isnt a third world country.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

My Spirit Otter posted:

Name one country that allows you to openly carry weapons in the street that isnt a third world country.

I'll have you know that not only is this legal in Switzerland. But mandated by law.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Eschenique posted:

I'll have you know that not only is this legal in Switzerland. But mandated by law.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

My Spirit Otter posted:

Israel and Switzerland both have compulsory military service and even while you're in civilian clothing and off duty you're expected to carry your weapon.

I don't think that's quite the same thing as 'open carry' by private citizens in the US, but most Swiss and Israelis wouldn't be surprised to see someone walking around with an automatic rifle.