Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Even if Grey doesn't use them properly, they aren't some massive drain on the budget, keeping us from building new ships like they're being made out to be.

Also attempting to legislate or plan from a position of trying to predict what Grey will or will not do is pointless

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Servetus posted:

A competition for the Elbirus to be converted in a CV was supposed to happen last update, but no one submitted any proposals.

It should've been scrapped a long time ago imo. A newly built CVL would do its job much better nevermind an actual CV.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm pretty sure we can also make new build CVs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Leperflesh posted:

I've seen several arguments like this, but they all depend on Grey Hunter actually using the ships as you intend him to. I'm... not sure that actually happens.

it's just a button you slot them into and they've been doing it, so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
please don't build 3 new CVs because the first CV you build has to be a weird monstrosity with 8 8" guns

so we should focus on building the transitional carrier

Experimental fleet carrier act
lay down a purpose built fleet carrier that will meet the minimum requirements for a designed CV with 8 8" guns.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Withdrawing my bill in favor of the above bill.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please don't build 3 new CVs because the first CV you build has to be a weird monstrosity with 8 8" guns

lay down a purpose built fleet carrier that will meet the minimum requirements for a designed CV with 8 8" guns.

Seconded

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

IRL, this would be a great idea. Unfortunately, the game mechanics make it much less of a good idea in-game.

Scrapping all of those old corvettes and destroyers saves us 331 a turn, by my calculations. That is less than a tenth of our overall maintenance spending, less than the per-turn cost of a single upgraded Pingvin, and it is basically irrelevant compared to the per-turn cost of a CV or BB.

Are these ships at all useful in battle? Absolutely not!

Are these ships warm . . . uh . . . hulls (?) to put on trade protection? Absolutely yes!

If they're on TP, they're not going to see any action in in-game battles, so their age and incapability is not a disadvantage.

If we do this, I fear that we're just going to end up getting into a war, realizing, "oh no, we don't have enough ships for trade protection," and then end up having to build a ton of corvettes anyway during a war in which we'd rather be spending that money on cranking out our newest CV/BB, replacing air losses, etc.

(For the record I have no idea how good or bad of an idea the airship part of this act is; I've never gotten that far into a game of RTW2.)
:wotwot:
Are we playing a game here, or are you playing with the primacy of our naval capability?

I didnt say Scrap all Destroyers. That's why i set a limit. By my reckoning this scraps 26 obsolete DDs. Burni, Podliv, Podzhi (they have paired 5" guns so have some bite), the Bolshoy Igriz are torpedo boats, if that still has a niche in our OOB. And one, lonely Verni.
All of which I spy now are in the Japanese sea. Facing the Rising Sun which is only increasing in belliclosity, no small part due to us throwing elbow jabs at them. Some reorganisation would be in order to carry out this bill, which as I rest, it still stands.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Negative Entropy posted:

Are we playing a game here, or are you playing with the primacy of our naval capability?

I didnt say Scrap all Destroyers. That's why i set a limit. By my reckoning this scraps 26 obsolete DDs. Burni, Podliv, Podzhi (they have paired 5" guns so have some bite), the Bolshoy Igriz are torpedo boats, if that still has a niche in our OOB. And one, lonely Verni.
All of which I spy now are in the Japanese sea. Facing the Rising Sun which is only increasing in belliclosity, no small part due to us throwing elbow jabs at them. Some reorganisation would be in order to carry out this bill, which as I rest, it still stands.

None of them are actually supposed to be there; they are supposed to be in mothballs in the Baltic by law...

Those 26 DDs prevent us from having to spend 60 plus million on corvettes to cover trade routes.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 5, 2019

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Negative Entropy posted:

Those 26 DD will be necessary during a war just to cover our deployment requirements, scrapping more than half a dozen is folly. Move our modern ones into engagement areas, but in 1936 you're going to need like 20-30 DD on trade protection alone.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Sorry if my initial post was unclear! My calculations (and post as a whole) were looking only at the ships that would have been scrapped by your act, not all the destroyers in the fleet.

And, basically, Infidelicious and TheDemon are spot on. Those ships should not be in NE Asia, but they also should not be sent to the scrapyards.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Nah, I'm playing it up.
I'm ok with being wrong.
Just vote it down. Or vote it in and have a well intentioned politician make a mess of things.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Negative Entropy posted:

I propose the Seaworthiness Audit and Modernisation Bill.

In order to provide funds for a more modern navy we are to scrap excess corvettes and destroyers that were laid down before 1916.
Airships are to be reduced to half of their current value (from 56 to 28)

And if we're going to antagonise the Japanese, for heavens sake get some intel effort on them.

Vote!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yea
nay

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AYE

AYE

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Say, does AI Japan also get to use their special surprise attack move? That was hilarious when playing as them but would be horrible from the other direction.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

aye

Nay

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Aye
Nay

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yes
Abstain

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Zikan posted:

aye

Nay

Covers it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Aye
Nay

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
AYE
NAY

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1936 ST PETERSBURG***
YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGE VYELICHYESTVO (NIKOLAYA III [TRETIY])
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Improved oil burners	Medium		17
Armour development			X-Ray quality testing	Medium		17
Hull construction			Lightweight scantlings	Medium		17
Fire control				Advanced director	Low		20
Subdivision and damage control		Imp watertight hatches	High		14
Turrets and gun mountings		Improved quad turrets	MEDIUM		16
Ship design				Lightweight materials	Medium		22
AP Projectiles				Advanced pen alloys	Medium		12
Light forces and torpedo warfare	Weight savings torp mt	Medium		19
Torpedo technology			Improved gyroscopes	High		17
Submarines				Night surface attacks	HIGH		17
ASW technology				K-guns			Medium		12
Explosive shells			Enh explosive filler	Low		12
Fleet tactics				Voice radio		MEDIUM		14
Anti Aircraft artillery			Creep zone AA barrage	High		10
Radar and electronics			Basic			HIGH		0
Naval aviation, lighter than air	Imp airship diesel eng	HIGH		7
Naval Aviation, heavier than air	Air/Sea rescue		High		7
Shipboard aircraft operation		Deck park		Medium		10
Amphibious operations			Motor landing craft	Medium		3
Naval guns				18 inch guns		Medium
Admiral,
The Bureau of Ordinance cordially submits its research priorities and requests for aircraft for 1936.
A certain degree of upheaval has occurred as the Tsarina has stepped away from active management of the Bureau in favor of her son the Prince. He has undertaken to direct our priorities and make such rearrangements and new commands as is fitting his Royal prerogative. We have in writing and in good order authorizations conveyed from the Tsar himself.

While respecting the actions of his beloved mother, the Prince has directed the Navy to standardize its paint schemes and regalia to suit the twin military prerogatives of effective camouflage from submarine attack, and proper display of the nation's royal colors of the flag.

We have additionally been instructed to withdraw, which is to say phase out, the innovative but admittedly unpopular culinary decisions made by the Tsarina; over the next year, provisions aboard naval vessels will increasingly consist of those familiar and simple foods the men are accustomed to from their humble villages, such as potatoes, cabbage, and potted meats. Those officers who have taken to the spring salads and fancy cakes may at their discretion continue to order these items for their officers' mess.

The Prince sounds and in every subtlety of his movement and expression appears so much as his father the Tsar that if one did not know better one would swear it was the elder Nicholas and not the younger! Yet of course that would be impossible as our Tsar is now well into his late 60s and his son fairly glows with the energy of his youth.

ATTN: BY ORDER YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGE VYELICHYESTVO (NIKOLAYA III [TRETIY])
The Prince has presented his requests for submission of designs for a new aircraft, to maintain the modernity and fighting capability of our naval and ground-based air wings! Manufacturers are required to submit their designs immediately for consideration:

A fighter, to be named "Krasnyy Zmey" (красный змей) or Red Kite
Focus:
1. Speed
2. Firepower

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

NAY
YEA

Totally Not A Rort Heavy Industries stands ready to recieve and scrap any and all obsolete corvettes and destroyers the admiralty wishes to dispose of

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Nay and Nay. We do not need to eliminate our destroyer fleet, and we absolutely do not need vessels to transport fixed wing vermin. We live in the age of the airship!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Yea

Yea

We will need more sea-proven steel to make that boondoggle of a carrier.

Imperial Officer
Oct 21, 2010
yea
nay

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Nay
Nay

We have excellent positions to have air cover in our theaters, we should use funds for a carrier to expand airbase capabilities so we can field more planes there.

Destroyers...lets not scrap cheap trade protection.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So can we have a design for a fleet carrier!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmi0pa65zkcvgha/AAADcAoppsNhSI-9n4IUId6Ya?dl=0

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

DA OBYCHNAYA IZ DA LATEST AN GREATEST IN FIHTA BOMBA DELIVERY VESSELZ.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KXB-CttB3oDkAiRtIowbVePJht9V37Xf

WIF ALL DA 8" GUNZ DA NAVY COULD WANTZ, IT STILL MAKEZ 28 KNOTZ WHILE CARRYING A RESPECTBL 59 AIRYPLANEZ AN WELL DEFENDED VERSES ENEMY FIHTA BOMBAZ.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen I present the proposed Yakut-class Carrier:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fmsxaw31dqnvbj/Yakut.30d?dl=0

She is for all intents and purposes, a floating airfield. With an 80 plane air capacity she is equal to our Baltic airfields but I anticipate that coordinating air strikes will be more timely and efficient as she will already be present and ready to spot when our land based comrades have just started to spot the enemy. She will also be able to cover for our fleets in desolate regions such as the Pacific Ocean where land capable of hosting airfields are much rarer. Aerial retaliation against her will have to brave the barrages of all her anti air batteries aimed by a plethora of directors. And since some hidebound admirals insisted, she is armed with eight 203mm guns that can deter cruisers or destroyers that might be catching up to her.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I hate to admit this but I like the ork carrier more.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Negative Entropy posted:

I hate to admit this but I like the ork carrier more.

It’s gonna be underwhelming just do it as cheap as possible and get it over with

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

It’s gonna be underwhelming just do it as cheap as possible and get it over with

Considering it's going to take a long rear end time to even build, voting for something that gets immediately scrapped (or else blown up because lol it has unprotected 8-inch guns) not only flushes money down the toilet, it means not having a carrier for 60+ months. This is pretty important when it looks like we're going to be fighting Japan since not having a carrier in Pacific battles means a high chance of having no air support at all. In that case, might as well build a good carrier that will be capable in the first place.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Actually here's a carrier that can jump through all the design hoops but is cheaper on both time and money:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k9ds3wp5052ild/Experimental.30d?dl=0

Caveat emptor: you get what you pay for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly, even 50-60 plane CVs can do some serious damage, especially if the enemy doesn't have a CV in their battle group. The early CVs aren't useless, depending on their planes. Just the later ones without the 8 inch cannons are better.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Let's consider the waters in which this carrier is expected to operate. Whether in the Baltic or Pacific, she will face determined opposition from both land-based aircraft and other carriers' squadrons (not to mention ships). Therefore we at the Sankt-Petersburg shipyards have concluded that protection ought to be a priority.

Witness, the Cherepakha.

The Cherepakha provides us with an air wing large enough to be capable while still carrying the armament mandated by the design board in four armored twin turrets--concentrated on the starboard side for convenience and efficiency. It is even expected that the guns could fire to either side, though this is to be reserved for emergencies.

At the same time, the ship has our best protection against torpedoes and an armored belt large enough to protect her from small-caliber fire. In contrast to other designs, her armor scheme protects the hangar in addition to the machinery spaces, meaning that unlucky shots or splinters from shell-bursts cannot penetrate to vulnerable interior spaces expected to be full of fuel and bombs. She is not built to use a deck park, to better protect her aircraft from harsh weather and enemy guns.

The ship is furthermore guarded by six double DP turrets (not depicted on this diagram, but located just below the level of her flight deck, three to a side) and a large number of autocannons, guided by four AA directors.

https://gofile.io/?c=aCbBlN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

i like that unless the enemy is to our starboard we're shooting across the deck as we launch and recover planes.

oh wow, historically there is a precedent.
The USS Lexington.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexington-class_aircraft_carrier
and the Japanese Akagi

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 7, 2019