Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Had a bit of a better canvassing session today, convinced a friend to vote labour and met a nice pro european man who seemed willing to give labour a shot based on the party giving him the best shot at staying integrated with europe.

Still frankly find it exhausting though, brings up so much anxiety, tightness in the chest and that. Urgh. Has to be done though. I did meet a nice man from momentum who laughed at my spanish civil war joke so that was pleasing. Never met another real life radical before.

Glad you're having a more positive experience, I feel it helps to have a nice set of positive experiences so the inevitable gammon battle is less traumatising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's nice when you meet someone supportive, they're usually lovely. But every door feels like you're sticking your arm in a box and you don't know if it's full of vipers or sweets.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol wait he still plans to run as an MP lmao https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1192060180005081089

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
24 storey building, dark, smoke-filled staircase, full of panicking people, some with ambulatory difficulties or kids, others dying of smoke inhalation, locked (I believe) at the bottom.
All these fuckers who claim they would have got out of Grenfell are making me just a little bit annoyed.

Had to go and edit some comments I made on FB late last night (eg tories are vile scumbuckets) because I know some f*kr is going to say 'oh kinder gentler politics if you're an example I'm voting tory' or some such bollox.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if they had common sense they would have leapt from the windows with their hang glider and swooped to safety

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

You put them on in the dark, they’re nothing like you expected them to be, then you fumble for hours trying to figure out how you’re going to take it out, and in the end no matter what happens everyone involved is frustrated?

74% of UKMT posters agree this was a good snipe
Source: YouGov

they’re an 100% effective method of birth control since no-one will gently caress you if you’re using one

minema
May 31, 2011
If I didn't find the idea of talking about my sister's sex life with her deeply uncomfortable I would definitely encourage the conditioning of her Tory boyfriend.

Interestingly he works as a consultant for Anglican Water on the OhFuckBrexitWhatWillWeDo team and apparently if there's a no deal Brexit it will be absolute chaos in water treatment circles, so you'd think this would be enough to sway him away from voting for them. Add my sister being trans to this considering the Tories atrocious history with LGBT people and I can't believe he's not already out campaigning for Labour. :rolleyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I've mentioned before but I worked at a call centre for a well known high street brand, mainly checking on orders, ordering replacements & also putting orders in on the website for olds. It was about this time of year I got hired as they took on staff for the holiday season, it was shite dogsbody work but whatever. The centre was open 7 days a week but I never worked Sundays because I use public transport and the local bus service is loving useless on Sundays, thanks Stagecoach, it's definitely 1904 and nae oval office works on the Sabbath. That was fine, they hired me, I got very good at doing the soulcrushingly meaningless work and had excellent call times and responses from customers, etc. So come the end of my temp contract they offer me a permanent position. Not great, but better than signing on. And then suddenly a week before the new contract was due to start the guy from my agency asks me into a meeting room and says actually the contract offer had been withdrawn because they've suddenly decided they need me to do Sundays. Like they hadn't noticed in the previous 3 months, the loving cunts. And then they were like "oh yeah & you can't tell anyone" and I'm all "nope", go to my desk, get asked what that was about and said I'm getting let go because I can't work Sundays. And as a temp working I got gently caress all help from the union rep.

Definitely still bitter about that and I didn't even like the job.

Capita are shite.

A young relative of mine, not allowed to drive because of epilepsy, reliant on family and friends to drive her anywhere as local bus service completely shite, had a job in a care home about 20 miles away where to start with they accepted that she had to do fixed day time shifts because of the buses. After a couple of months they said she had to start doing shifts. Her parents/friends tried to help out but they had their own work to do and some of the shifts were 11pm - 4am kind of thing. So she had to give it up.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

probably trying to extort a “please go away and stop drawing attention to the scandal” payment from CCHQ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

minema posted:

If I didn't find the idea of talking about my sister's sex life with her deeply uncomfortable I would definitely encourage the conditioning of her Tory boyfriend.

Interestingly he works as a consultant for Anglican Water on the OhFuckBrexitWhatWillWeDo team and apparently if there's a no deal Brexit it will be absolute chaos in water treatment circles, so you'd think this would be enough to sway him away from voting for them. Add my sister being trans to this considering the Tories atrocious history with LGBT people and I can't believe he's not already out campaigning for Labour. :rolleyes:

Seems like you could convert him to a "one off" Labour vote over Brexit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

if they had common sense they would have leapt from the windows with their hang glider and swooped to safety
I bet you could have done that if you could get to the roof. The roof access wasn't locked, and, uh, well, there was a hell of a thermal.

Not sure about safely landing when you're night gliding across London though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

they should simply wrapped themselves in fireblankets and rolled down the stairs to safety

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Tesseraction posted:

-Crabby Steve, admitting the Rape Loving Guy might not be a great campaign mascot

Brexit-voting wales was supposed to be of the key target areas for the tories to flip historic labour seats.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rustybear posted:

Brexit-voting wales was supposed to be of the key target areas for the tories to flip historic labour seats.

Just before GE 2017 campaign really got going, a friend of mine who is a former Labour (blairite) MP was moaning about Corbyn because polling in some areas around Cardiff and along the south coast of Wales were 'going to turn tory for the first time in a century' and going on about how if David Milliband had been chosen, things would be better. Now he loves Jezza.

minema
May 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Seems like you could convert him to a "one off" Labour vote over Brexit.

They live in a safe Tory seat so it won't even make much difference. Doesn't stop my husband ranting about Tories whenever we all play games together though. Maybe the peer pressure will get to him!

My parents quickly changed their mind on potential Lib Dem votes once they heard about Jo Swinson's voting record, they want to know how me and my sister find such good information about politics. I tried to describe the UKMT but they remained baffled.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

minema posted:

They live in a safe Tory seat so it won't even make much difference. Doesn't stop my husband ranting about Tories whenever we all play games together though. Maybe the peer pressure will get to him!

My parents quickly changed their mind on potential Lib Dem votes once they heard about Jo Swinson's voting record, they want to know how me and my sister find such good information about politics. I tried to describe the UKMT but they remained baffled.

"It's the place where a bunch of extremely online people argue about crisps while making strange memes about beans, while some of the less fun ones post news once in a while."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

minema posted:

I tried to describe the UKMT but they remained baffled.
A newsfeed of leftist takes interspersed with arguments about economics, philosophy, and crisps, links in OP.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

minema posted:

I keep quiet about UKMT though some people know I frequent an unnamed 'political forum' - firstly because it's pretty well anonymous (though if anyone could be bothered and had 'search' they could figure out who I was) and I can say what I think and secondly, because some of the people who would enjoy the politics chat would not be able in their minds to dissociate it from some of the other well-worn non-political topics (the least of which is crisp chat!) and lack of :decorum:

Ed:
I'm crotchety tired so I'm going for a nanna nap.

Catte tax:

https://twitter.com/AwwwwCats/status/1192077961144545280?s=20

I feel that Amon Amarth's "We shall destroy" would make a good soundtrack to the grey catte's face.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 6, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"It's basically like a documentary on a hypothetical Monty Python movie about politics." The Death of Stalin but contemporary.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I thought this was a comedy article doing some lighthearted joke candidate stuff but no https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/06/operation-votey-mcvoteface-voter-registration-drive-targets-boat-dwellers-and-sofa-surfers

Operation Votey McVoteface is a legit campaign to get people with no fixed address registered to vote.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just seen pics of Farage out campaigning. Can the proud return of the milkshaking tradition be that far behind?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1191868397623152640

Everything is Stalinism. Making me pay taxes? Stalinism. Recording me beating my girlfriend? Stalinism. Pointing out I conspired to beat up a journalist? Buddy, you better believe that's Stalinism.

He also equated Ed Miliband standing for Labour Leader with Stalin's genocides: https://www.indy100.com/article/boris-jo-johnson-quits-resign-government-brother-david-ed-miliband-quote-2013-9092976

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

minema posted:

I tried to describe the UKMT but they remained baffled.

Just tell them it's a flaps free zone. They'll get it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tesseraction posted:

Oh I thought this was a comedy article doing some lighthearted joke candidate stuff but no https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/06/operation-votey-mcvoteface-voter-registration-drive-targets-boat-dwellers-and-sofa-surfers

Operation Votey McVoteface is a legit campaign to get people with no fixed address registered to vote.

Bad name. Good campaign.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Independent posted:

‘What about my holiday to Fuengirola?’

Nigel Farage has been heckled for the second time today.

Out of the streets of Workington, the Brexit Party leader was engaged in debate with a male voter who said he was “bringing your hate”, when one woman shouted: “What about your German wife Nigel – how come she’s allowed in?”

She added: “What about my holiday to Fuengirola?”

Fuengirola is the Costa del Sol.

Earlier today a woman shouted “fascist” as she left the room midway through Farage’s speech in Workington. She was followed out by a woman wearing a T-shirt which said “Bollocks to Brexit”.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1192090501081706497
Uhhhh, why?

This seems like Watson is trying to boot the decision to her so she gets the flack.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

minema posted:

Let's be honest most links in this thread come through Twitter, you'd have better luck explaining that than the Uncouth Kommunist Monster munch Thread.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

Uhhhh, why?

This seems like Watson is trying to boot the decision to her so she gets the flack.

It isn't about anti-Semitism so he doesn't need to pretend to care.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

24 storey building, dark, smoke-filled staircase, full of panicking people, some with ambulatory difficulties or kids, others dying of smoke inhalation, locked (I believe) at the bottom.

This came up a couple of times previously in the thread but it had moved on by the time I noticed and thought to ask - does anyone have a source for this? Because even the lovely 80s security retrofits fail open, and I've literally never seen a physical lock installed on a council block of any vintage on an exit route. Also any further word/confirmation as to whether or not Serco had run actual gas pipes up the stairwell?

(Also not sure if I should share the One Weird Trick that'll get you through like 90% of those 80s/90s council block doors because it's possibly close to B&E even if it shaves quite a lot of time (and annoyed people you randomly have to buzz to get in) when canvassing.)

e: Now I think of it, no, the fire exit on the stairwell can't possibly have been locked because that would have been the LFB's point of access unless Grenfell has an *extremely* weird layout.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 6, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1192070581371523073

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Cool cool cool, BBC just uncritically accepting Gavin Williamson's assertion that having polling stations in schools would be bad because it could disrupt nativity plays. Definitely not a shameless attempt to remove an easy way for people in the younger end of the age spectrum to vote while dropping the kids off/picking them up.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

This is amazing... hello, what do we have here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D79IrmumF8

I'd like to introduce to you Mammy P and her Brexit Rap!

Mammy P and her Brexit Rap posted:

'Mammy P' (Pat Kirby) is back with a rap that tells the EU we ain't taking no c**p! Patriotic and pointed, giving it with both barrels, Pat has a dig at the inert British government, the intransigent and bullying EU, the tiresome Brexit jargon, the squabbling politicians and the whinging Remainers. Proud to be British, Independent and Free - make a stand with Pat Kirby.

The lyrics are listed on her YouTube page and I strongly encourage you to check them out if you want to see text somehow get drunk and disorderly as you scroll down them in real time

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This came up a couple of times previously in the thread but it had moved on by the time I noticed and thought to ask - does anyone have a source for this? Because even the lovely 80s security retrofits fail open, and I've literally never seen a physical lock installed on a council block of any vintage on an exit route. Also any further word/confirmation as to whether or not Serco had run actual gas pipes up the stairwell?

(Also not sure if I should share the One Weird Trick that'll get you through like 90% of those 80s/90s council block doors because it's possibly close to B&E even if it shaves quite a lot of time (and annoyed people you randomly have to buzz to get in) when canvassing.)

e: Now I think of it, no, the fire exit on the stairwell can't possibly have been locked because that would have been the LFB's point of access unless Grenfell has an *extremely* weird layout.

I think this is getting wires crossed with discussion of Hillsborough earlier in the thread.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jabby posted:

Uhhhh, why?

Would that be the second time today he's hosed up in regards to candidate selection?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lol it's the CUKTIG logo but in the colours of all the major parties, AND it looks like they've redacted her policies.

Wow, she REALLY has started believing her own bullshit, huh?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No I don't have a link to that, I got it from here.

Separate: (really am going for nap now)

https://twitter.com/omaromalleykhan/status/1191983673945526273?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm trying to find it, but it was something I read at the same from one of the escapees, that they tried to get through a fire door only for it to refuse to open, so they had to run elsewhere.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol it's the CUKTIG logo but in the colours of all the major parties, AND it looks like they've redacted her policies.

Wow, she REALLY has started believing her own bullshit, huh?

Maybe Chuka has really taken over? Would loving hilarious

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

...and Labour still have the longest bar in the chart :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xtothez posted:

...and Labour still have the longest bar in the chart :thunk:

Can't win here!