Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
mom had to get to the hospital for work, otherwise we wouldn't have had one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

betterinsodapop posted:

Question: does AWD help with rain/wet or is that more the realm of traction control and ABS?

Honestly, the AWD hasn't helped me out in daily driving except when it's dumping snow and I'm 1st in line at a stoplight. When the light turns green, you just go. If you're behind someone and they're slipping and sliding, you're just going to follow them, going their speed.

AWD doesn't help you out when your all-seasons are worn down to summer-only mode: /!\sound warning/!\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-riVc0uLhI&t=23s

It also doesn't help when other people drive too fast for conditions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TrQzm4nEk&t=18s

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

NoWake posted:

:words: and video
Those road conditions are pretty bad, and not dissimilar to the way the roads get around here before the plows get out.
Where (roughly) is that, if you don't mind my asking?

That SUV was going way too fast for that turn, in those conditions.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

betterinsodapop posted:

Those road conditions are pretty bad, and not dissimilar to the way the roads get around here before the plows get out.
Where (roughly) is that, if you don't mind my asking?

That SUV was going way too fast for that turn, in those conditions.

Illinois up by the Wisconsin border - snow is a way of life up here (we got 7" the day before Halloween) so there's really no excuse for poor driving and poor tires. The suburban I'd imagine was headed straight, but didn't anticipate the Honda in front of them crawling through their right turn. So instead of rear-ending them, they decided to take chances going head-on with me...

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

AWD doesn't do jack poo poo in the snow. You only need it if you're driving uphill on unplowed roads. Even then the AWD is probably doing nothing if you already have snow tires.

I've had this conversation with people multiple times and it always ends the same way with them still believing that their braking and turning is magically improved by AWD. It is not.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

AWD doesn't do jack poo poo in the snow. You only need it if you're driving uphill in the on unplowed roads. Even then the AWD is probably doing nothing if you already have snow tires.

I've had this conversation with people multiple times and it always ends the same way with them still believing that their braking and turning is magically improved by AWD. It is not.

Turning may be improved if the car has thrust vectoring on each wheel and intelligent antislip and can underrotate the inside wheels right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

AWD doesn't do jack poo poo in the snow. You only need it if you're driving uphill on unplowed roads. Even then the AWD is probably doing nothing if you already have snow tires.

I'm in the "overwhelming majority of people don't need AWD" camp, and even I think your statement is going a bit too far. It will get you going better and possibly out of sticky situations in the snow better than FWD or RWD when on the same tires. That's it though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

VelociBacon posted:

Turning may be improved if the car has thrust vectoring on each wheel and intelligent antislip and can underrotate the inside wheels right?

I guess if you're right at the edge of traction on a turn yes theoretically if this system worked really well in the snow (none of them work well in the snow) it might help a bit, maybe?

Just get snow tires, all seasons are a scam.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

VelociBacon posted:

For torque vectoring to do you any good you have to be applying torque. Which, go into a turn too fast on snow and generally people aren't going to be getting on the throttle. And if you're already going too fast, what is more speed supposed to accomplish? Plus most awd systems have an electronic clutch between the transmission and rear wheels, so when you are turning, or off throttle, they are mostly fwd anyway.

Before the current era of vsc, electronic brake force distribution, and fast 4-channel abs there was more of a benefit to awd when turning or stopping, especially a purely mechanical system like subaru manual transmissions or older quattro. That stuff makes it harder to lock up individual wheels or one axle. In pickups, which have a hard time giving the rear axle adequate brake torque on snow/ice, or in something without abs, you definitely get a shorter stopping distance with 4wd/awd vs without it. But like I mentioned, most current AWD cars become fwd under braking in a straight line and use their fancy abs to keep the car stable.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

400lb slobbering goon: you dont need awd, it adds too much weight. besides its fun when you get stuck
carol of northampton, ma: i have 4 kids

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Pryor on Fire posted:

all seasons are a scam.

Now that’s what I call a hot take.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yall are looking at it all wrong. Instead of buying an AWD car, move to a place that's not a frozen wasteland and drive summers year round.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is bullshit, it most certainly does help in the snow.

In fact, as far as Quattro, it helped SO MUCH that during Group B Lancia actually paid the local government to salt the roads so they'd have an advantage over the Quattro.

And for anecdotal: My 4000 Quattro did much better in the snow than my Jetta with good winter tires when we lived in Cheyenne. And that was even without locking the center or rear diffs.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 7, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How many different underlying mechanical systems have been called Qattro by now? It makes it hard to have a sensible discussion when one trade name covers everything from the original with manual locking to the current center clutch design.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

How many different underlying mechanical systems have been called Qattro by now? It makes it hard to have a sensible discussion when one trade name covers everything from the original with manual locking to the current center clutch design.

I think any AWD setup Audi has is referred to as Quattro. Haldex, real AWD, doesn't matter it's all Quattro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I think any AWD setup Audi has is referred to as Quattro. Haldex, real AWD, doesn't matter it's all Quattro.

Its this. Its just a Marketing term now. My Q7 TDI has "Quattro" but its really just an old fashioned transfer case tacked on.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Its this. Its just a Marketing term now. My Q7 TDI has "Quattro" but its really just an old fashioned transfer case tacked on.

I still think it's borderline criminal that VWAG isn't at least offering Quattro/4-motion on every single model they sell. Like I'm pretty sure Audi does, but VW is just sitting back and letting Subaru kick the poo poo out of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they experimented with that a bit and it was such a stunning success that they are killing off the Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack entirely

subaru is selling a lot of foresters (tiguans) and outbacks (vaguely alltracks?), not a lot of imprezas and legacies

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they experimented with that a bit and it was such a stunning success that they are killing off the Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack entirely

subaru is selling a lot of foresters (tiguans) and outbacks (vaguely alltracks?), not a lot of imprezas and legacies

I think it was the same issues that the Golf R AWD had, it just added too much to the price which made it unappealing to the average driver.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

400lb slobbering goon: you dont need awd, it adds too much weight. besides its fun when you get stuck
carol of northampton, ma: i have 4 kids
They get a lotta fuckin' snow in the Pioneer Valley. I'm going with Carol.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Russian Bear posted:

Yall are looking at it all wrong. Instead of buying an AWD car, move to a place that's not a frozen wasteland and drive summers year round.

Or do what I did, get a mk7 Golf R in Florida, and do both!

Edit: and it's called the 4Motion system. Say that in your best jeremy clarkson voice.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

fknlo posted:

I'm in the "overwhelming majority of people don't need AWD" camp, and even I think your statement is going a bit too far. It will get you going better and possibly out of sticky situations in the snow better than FWD or RWD when on the same tires. That's it though.

If conditions are bad enough that you can get stuck and your only solution will get you moving again but not help you stop safely then you should probably just leave your car stuck because you’re not going to make the situation any better

And it’s still that if none of your tires get any traction, AWD is just going to spin all 4 wheels anyway

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Also, today's installation:

New shift levers?
That's a paddlin'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baxate posted:

If conditions are bad enough that you can get stuck and your only solution will get you moving again but not help you stop safely then you should probably just leave your car stuck because you’re not going to make the situation any better

And it’s still that if none of your tires get any traction, AWD is just going to spin all 4 wheels anyway

Where there's a will, there's a way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EReYZnaiuo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baxate posted:

I intentionally stopped on incline that had a few inches of slush on it in the M3 just to see what would happen. I immediately got "stuck". It took me a few minutes and disabling of traction control to get out. Wouldn't have happened with AWD. Probably wouldn't have happened with FWD either as part of my problem was the rear end end immediately sliding over and putting the passenger side tire on a curb. AWD absolutely helps with stuff like that. That's really about it in day to day driving in winter though.

My biggest worry about driving the M3 through winter is having to stop going up to the Eisenhower tunnel on 70 for all the random times it gets shut down during storms. I definitely don't worry about that with AWD. I did buy some of those auto sock things and I hope they'll at least help me some in that kind of situation. I need to practice putting them on as there isn't a ton of access and I don't want to do it for the first time on the highway.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
I thought this was AI?

AWD in the snow is all about power oversteer, just LOL talking about anything other than donuts in the K-Mart parking lot. My aging Forester is a little rear-biased and has no traction control at all so it's basically the best thing ever in the snow, other than, ya know, stopping.

My new GLI on the all-seasons was interesting in this first snow. The braking-based traction control really, really wants to help you get around that corner. I miss my manual parking brake lever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dielectric posted:

I thought this was AI?

AWD in the snow is all about power oversteer, just LOL talking about anything other than donuts in the K-Mart parking lot. My aging Forester is a little rear-biased and has no traction control at all so it's basically the best thing ever in the snow, other than, ya know, stopping.

My new GLI on the all-seasons was interesting in this first snow. The braking-based traction control really, really wants to help you get around that corner. I miss my manual parking brake lever.

In racing? Yes. In everyday use in the snow? No its not, and its very much helpful in the snow.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I live in the mountains and would rather drive a FWD with blizzaks than an AWD with all-seasons. It seems like AWD is nice once every few years when you get stuck in a weird spot in a ski area parking lot.

In fact I'm considering a FWD Atlas because they are so cheap at the dealers right now. Just put some snow tires and an APR tune on it.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Forget snow I want to be able to put down Stage 1 or better power on demand without wheel spin and poo poo flashing on my dash.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Styles Bitchley posted:

Forget snow I want to be able to put down Stage 1 or better power on demand without wheel spin and poo poo flashing on my dash.

My GTI couldn't do that on stock power with PSS's. Honestly, I think the most annoying thing about the car was not being able to turn traction control all the way off. Oh, you wanted to make a quick turn across traffic? It would be a shame if I just cut all the power!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

fknlo posted:

My GTI couldn't do that on stock power with PSS's. Honestly, I think the most annoying thing about the car was not being able to turn traction control all the way off. Oh, you wanted to make a quick turn across traffic? It would be a shame if I just cut all the power!

Mine does it on Conti DWS06s. I was going to try Michelin PS3s next. That is, if I still have this Mk6. I'm really eyeballing a new Rabbit.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bape Culture posted:

Does anyone itt have a r8 rws? Or even driven one?

Maybe the goon that writes for ArsTechnica, unless that is you. (I don't think that's you.)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MetaJew posted:

Maybe the goon that writes for ArsTechnica, unless that is you. (I don't think that's you.)

LMFAO. Bape is most assuredly not Jonathan Gitlin.

Deviant posted:

Also, today's installation:

New shift levers?
That's a paddlin'.

Wait. The GolfeR doesn't get the brushed aluminum trim on the wheel like the...base GTI does!?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

LMFAO. Bape is most assuredly not Jonathan Gitlin.

Wait. The GolfeR doesn't get the brushed aluminum trim on the wheel like the...base GTI does!?

I'd have to see it. Mine is a 2016 golf R fwiw

Edit: nah, the R gets leather wheel and piano black trim. I prefer it personally.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Reminds me of when I was younger and had my B5 A4. I would get a call every once in awhile from roommates who would get stuck in the winter to come tow them out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can confirm I’m not jon git.
Anyway I found a V10 PLUS manual and the guy is getting back to me if it isn’t sold today ftw.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

did your gti have the performance package? with the limited slip you have to be really violent with the GTI to kick the traction control on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kashwashwa posted:

Reminds me of when I was younger and had my B5 A4. I would get a call every once in awhile from roommates who would get stuck in the winter to come tow them out.

I was out on the ice in Atlanta after our blizzard towing people's cars out of the median to the side so others could pass, then drove home afterwords. At worst every now and then I'd slide a little, but could slip into a lower gear and regain at least control.

The fire department was out rescuing people from their cars on I-85/I-285/I-75 and putting them in hotels, it was nuts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

did your gti have the performance package? with the limited slip you have to be really violent with the GTI to kick the traction control on.

Yeah, it's a sport, and that's not my experience at all. Basically any wheelspin and it's pulling power even when "disabled". Nothing violent or crazy necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kashwashwa posted:

same, and also same