Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They've been incestuous the entire time, borrowing from each others developments. But by definition, Citrix is a bolt-on to Windows and just like Microsoft does with all of their 3rd party vendors, they'll eventually decide they want a piece of that pie.

That's one reason I have a hard time buying this "new" Microsoft. They have always been "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish." They're just doing a better job of marketing themselves these days.

We had antitrust action against Microsoft for including a browser in their OS for fucks sake. Look at where we are today. And it's not just them, it's Google and Amazon as well. The cloud lock-in is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Explorer posted:

They've been incestuous the entire time, borrowing from each others developments. But by definition, Citrix is a bolt-on to Windows and just like Microsoft does with all of their 3rd party vendors, they'll eventually decide they want a piece of that pie.

That's one reason I have a hard time buying this "new" Microsoft. They have always been "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish." They're just doing a better job of marketing themselves these days.

We had antitrust action against Microsoft for including a browser in their OS for fucks sake. Look at where we are today. And it's not just them, it's Google and Amazon as well. The cloud lock-in is real.

great username/post combo

and especially pertinent given that azure ran out!!! of compute capacity in US-East last week. I don't know how that wasn't bigger news because it's absolutely catastrophic for them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Iron Rose posted:

and especially pertinent given that azure ran out!!! of compute capacity in US-East last week. I don't know how that wasn't bigger news because it's absolutely catastrophic for them.

A little known secret is that the cloud is just other people’s data centers.

And believe it or not, those data centers have finite (though massive) capacity and sometimes surges in demand overwhelm even the best efforts in predictive provisioning.

It happens. More often than you probably think.

The workarounds are easy, though, which is why it doesn’t make the news more often. Spin up in a different region or wait a week for capacity to arrive.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s not news because it happens all the time to not just ms but aws and gcp too

Lots of compute types have quotas that reflect the limits of the region you are in and you have to reach out to support deploy past it

It happens more often for high end compute resources, and this ms thing is only getting traction because a bunch of people that don’t know any better ran into it

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
HDX/ICA is still a better protocol vs RDP... but we live in a world of cheap bandwidth and the solution to a shittier protocol is more bandwidth so who cares.

Citrix has been banking on their existing customer base for years to get them in other markets. Already have a Netscaler for your Citrix Gateway? Might as well use it for your ADC and/or WAF. Already have a ton of other Citrix poo poo? Might as well use Citrix SD-WAN.

They actually have a pretty decent market share for those markets, which is crazy considering Netscaler sucks as a WAF and their SD-WAN offering is pretty horrific as well.

Random Azure + other company partnership question. A few people at my (current) company are making a big deal out of Azure partnering with VMware to do "VMware in Azure". I literally can't think of a single use case where this makes sense over Azure's normal offerings, at least not for anything we do. Horizon in Azure, just use Azure Virtual Desktops. Server workloads, why not use Azure IaaS. Etc, etc. Maybe a virtual appliance that doesn't have a cloud version yet?
What (if anything) am I missing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheFace posted:

HDX/ICA is still a better protocol vs RDP... but we live in a world of cheap bandwidth and the solution to a shittier protocol is more bandwidth so who cares.

Citrix has been banking on their existing customer base for years to get them in other markets. Already have a Netscaler for your Citrix Gateway? Might as well use it for your ADC and/or WAF. Already have a ton of other Citrix poo poo? Might as well use Citrix SD-WAN.

They actually have a pretty decent market share for those markets, which is crazy considering Netscaler sucks as a WAF and their SD-WAN offering is pretty horrific as well.

Random Azure + other company partnership question. A few people at my (current) company are making a big deal out of Azure partnering with VMware to do "VMware in Azure". I literally can't think of a single use case where this makes sense over Azure's normal offerings, at least not for anything we do. Horizon in Azure, just use Azure Virtual Desktops. Server workloads, why not use Azure IaaS. Etc, etc. Maybe a virtual appliance that doesn't have a cloud version yet?

Makes hybrid environments a little more streamlined if they are Vmware centric. I also find it silly though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheFace posted:

Sickening posted:

Makes hybrid environments a little more streamlined if they are Vmware centric. I also find it silly though.

My take was for DR compliance, and maybe for infrequent capacity needs ( annual reports ). It would be workable and cost effective for both of those, but it’s not a cloud solution in any real way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone out there resign from a job before having the next one lined up? How'd it work out for you? I know its against the Golden Rule but I'm leaning towards doing it.

I need to move across country and get closer to family for reasons, and it's timing up with my lease expiring in January. I've put a few applications out but haven't heard anything yet. I figure I'm going to bounce either way.

I'm probably just trying to rationalize it to myself but I should be OK. I'm an RN working in informatics so I figure worst case I can always go back to bedside care if IT jobs dry up.

Florida winters beat the hell out of Colorado's, and a few weeks on the beach might do me good.

I got pulled into a meeting with my boss and the CEO once.
First question out of CEO's mouth was 'are you happy here?' to which I immediately responded "Nope, you'll have my resignation by the end of the day."
It was actually a fairly fine conversation. I liked the people I worked for. My boss was actually very cool. But they hired me into a helpdesk job with helpdesk pay and expected me to do development work.
At one point I was asked if I felt comfortable taking over the CIO's work, so he could sit at home and work on his other development projects. Sorry, but I'm not even gonna LOOK at a repo for $30k/yr.

It was a decent job. I learned a LOT but they were pushing me in a direction I didn't want to go. They were kind enough to give me 3 months severance (lol what the gently caress? okay sure!) and I found a job a month later after dicking around for 29 days.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Does anyone know of a good utility for identifying applications that are using SNMP? We have a finding from a recent audit of systems that were found to potentially be using SNMPv1. I've been tasked with identifying and mitigating this somehow.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The Dreamer posted:

Does anyone know of a good utility for identifying applications that are using SNMP? We have a finding from a recent audit of systems that were found to potentially be using SNMPv1. I've been tasked with identifying and mitigating this somehow.

Without knowing a lot about your particular situation I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a security audit snipe hunt.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Without knowing a lot about your particular situation I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a security audit snipe hunt.

Quite possibly. I work for a bank and our external auditors seem to have to find at least a few bad things each audit. They provided us with a list of IP's that were found to have active SNMP connections but they weren't able to tell us definitively if they were actually using v1 or what apps may have been using SNMP. I've been tasked with investigating whether they actually are using v1 and if so to figure out if we can have them use a newer version.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Snmpwalk will probably work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Dreamer posted:

Quite possibly. I work for a bank and our external auditors seem to have to find at least a few bad things each audit. They provided us with a list of IP's that were found to have active SNMP connections but they weren't able to tell us definitively if they were actually using v1 or what apps may have been using SNMP. I've been tasked with investigating whether they actually are using v1 and if so to figure out if we can have them use a newer version.

Are you absolutely certain it’s v1? I can honestly say I’ve *never* seen SNMPv1 ever being used in the wild. The version that usually trips up audits is v2c, and that’s been around since 1996. It’s the unencrypted, non-auth version of the protocol. Even if (which people usually didn’t) the default “private” and “public” community strings were changed, it’s stupid easy to sniff that poo poo out.

If you have to use SNMP, then SNMPv3 is the way to go. I can’t imagine any product or OS that doesn’t support v3, but then again I would not be surprised to find out there’s stuff out there.

But honestly, if the device/server/application you’re monitoring has a RESTful API, you’re better off going that route instead.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 6, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Proteus Jones posted:

If you have to use SNMP, then SNMPv3 is the way to go. I can’t imagine any product or OS that doesn’t support v3, but then again I would not be surprised to find out there’s stuff out there.

Off the top of my head, the UCS mini for the Cisco ISR doesn't support SNMPv3 & Cisco WLC doesn't support SNMPv3 trapping..

You could create a bash/python script to snmpget a list of IPs using generic/company known SNMP community strings, if you get a bite you'll know v1/v2c is running. No 100% way to verify without logging in to everything though.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Theres a ton of poo poo that doesn't support SNMPv3 or does but with an asterisk.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you absolutely certain it’s v1? I can honestly say I’ve *never* seen SNMPv1 ever being used in the wild. The version that usually trips up audits is v2c, and that’s been around since 1996. It’s the unencrypted, non-auth version of the protocol. Even if (which people usually didn’t) the default “private” and “public” community strings were changed, it’s stupid easy to sniff that poo poo out.

But honestly, if the device/server/application you’re monitoring has a RESTful API, you’re better off going that route instead.
It is entirely possible that a financial institution is still using SNMPv1 for multiple legacy apps.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you absolutely certain it’s v1? I can honestly say I’ve *never* seen SNMPv1 ever being used in the wild.

I have three tripplite pdus which for some reason by default has an available V1, v2c, and v3 connection.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

The audit finding was pretty generic. Basically, "we can tell SNMP is running, make sure you're not using v1 and that if you're using a new version change the community strings from defaults". Our InfoSec people don't think we actually have anything running v1, but since it was in the audit, we have to investigate, verify, and log whatever we find.

Bigass Moth posted:

Snmpwalk will probably work.

Sepist posted:

Off the top of my head, the UCS mini for the Cisco ISR doesn't support SNMPv3 & Cisco WLC doesn't support SNMPv3 trapping..

You could create a bash/python script to snmpget a list of IPs using generic/company known SNMP community strings, if you get a bite you'll know v1/v2c is running. No 100% way to verify without logging in to everything though.

Thanks I'll try writing up a script using one of these and see what I can find.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

I have three tripplite pdus which for some reason by default has an available V1, v2c, and v3 connection.

poo poo with awful embedded management servers like PDUs, printers, server OOB management cards, are the most likely candidates to still be running v1. Along with other garbage like requiring SSLv3 / Java 1.6 / IE 6 etc.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I still see SNMP v1 used to manage ancient switches once in a while. That's pretty easy to track down if there's any management of the network devices though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Salesforce had a decent sized outage today. I got to make tickets like customers. I must’ve told them to do the needful 10 times.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

Where in Florida are you looking and have you looked into the AdventHealth system yet? We're pretty large in Florida and we always seem to have clinical informatics positions open at hospitals. In fact, at the hospital I work at, we just had one of our clinical informatics people leave so I'm sure we have an open position. Our Corporate IT offices are also always hiring informatic type people as well.

I'm looking in the panhandle and maybe near Jacksonville. I'm sure my preferences will loosen as the clock ticks.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got pulled into a meeting with my boss and the CEO once.
First question out of CEO's mouth was 'are you happy here?' to which I immediately responded "Nope, you'll have my resignation by the end of the day."

I bet that felt good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I did the exact same thing at the last place. Timing worked out perfectly, so I dropped notice at my performance review.

She started going into whatever bullshit, so I went “let me stop you right there,” and slapped my official notice letter on the table.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone out there resign from a job before having the next one lined up? How'd it work out for you? I know its against the Golden Rule but I'm leaning towards doing it.

I need to move across country and get closer to family for reasons, and it's timing up with my lease expiring in January. I've put a few applications out but haven't heard anything yet. I figure I'm going to bounce either way.

I'm probably just trying to rationalize it to myself but I should be OK. I'm an RN working in informatics so I figure worst case I can always go back to bedside care if IT jobs dry up.

Florida winters beat the hell out of Colorado's, and a few weeks on the beach might do me good.
I don't know what kind of RN you are, but if you have onco experience, PM me and I might be able to put you in touch with something remote to fill the gap

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking in the panhandle and maybe near Jacksonville. I'm sure my preferences will loosen as the clock ticks.

I bet that felt good.

Meh. I felt rather indifferent. Like I said I liked the people, but the job was poo poo.

On a more positive note? I just had an argument with our network engineer... He's convinced you can't connect 2 computers NICs without a crossover cable.
I had the pleasure of telling him all about MDI-X and that a lot has changed since 1995.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Meh. I felt rather indifferent. Like I said I liked the people, but the job was poo poo.

On a more positive note? I just had an argument with our network engineer... He's convinced you can't connect 2 computers NICs without a crossover cable.
I had the pleasure of telling him all about MDI-X and that a lot has changed since 1995.

just make sure you don't use autonegotiate, otherwise the cisco gods will smite you

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress me that bit me once, never again

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

devmd01 posted:

I did the exact same thing at the last place. Timing worked out perfectly, so I dropped notice at my performance review.

She started going into whatever bullshit, so I went “let me stop you right there,” and slapped my official notice letter on the table.

Did similar two jobs ago. Management had gone to poo poo at the company, my direct manager was let go (they set extremely unrealistic performance goals because the new CIO didn't want him there) so I started looking for a job the day after he was fired. I didn't like the new CIO at all and without my manager as a buffer I sure as hell wasn't going to stay. This same CIO was extremely rude about giving me a raise I was promised and that my manager fought to get me, saying to my face "You couldn't find a job in this market that would pay you this much"... I found one that paid me more, and about two weeks after my manager was fired I had an offer. Wrote up my letter of resignation, and it just so happened that the CIO called me into a meeting with my new manager that same day to talk about my future with the company. I stopped him in his tracks, "Here is my letter of resignation, consider this my two week notice".

On the Monday of my last week there was a huge company meeting super early. They announced that about 45% of the employees had been let go. If that wasn't bad enough the CEO was up in front of everyone talking about how excited he was about this new direction of the company, and the Director of Sales was telling people they should be excited about "making the cut". Either I dodged a bullet, or maybe my leaving saved someone else's job, but either way I'm so glad I didn't stay a second longer than I had to there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't know what kind of RN you are, but if you have onco experience, PM me and I might be able to put you in touch with something remote to fill the gap

Sent you a PM.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Our auditors just made us block Gmail. Still super salty about that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Heffer posted:

Our auditors just made us block Gmail. Still super salty about that.

Attempting to block webmail seems like an extreme exercise in futility.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 7, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Auditors will have a finding, always. They will never go through an environment and come away with "Everything looks great! No changes needed."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Why did they choose gmail, this is cruel and unusual.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My work also blocks gmail. It is cruel and unusual.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My work did awhile ago, but I can't ever see accessing my own personal email on a company owned device so it really doesn't affect me.

I mean, pretty much everyone has a smartphone now. Most companies MitM SSL on company owned devices. I sure as poo poo don't want my personal correspondence open to any security guy who cares to take a look.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Most companies MitM SSL on company owned devices.

I'm not sure this is true but I otherwise agree with you.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bull3964 posted:

MitM SSL on company owned devices

Wouldn't this show as an invalid certificate?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not sure this is true but I otherwise agree with you.

If you work with PHI/PII or financial, I can't see you getting through an audit if you don't.

bobmarleysghost posted:

No, because group policy loads the 3rd party root in on every device. If I were to go to google right now on my work notebook, it would tell me the ssl cert was issued by zscaler.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 7, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

No, because you deploy your certs with mdm or gpo to the devices trusted store.

Note: in windows and android, and possibly iOS, Firefox ignore the device cert store without special configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Right, makes sense.