Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Glagha posted:

I don't wanna hear about it unless I get to gently caress a shoggoth.

A crossover with song of saya then?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In my experience, 9 times out of 10, these themes are handled in the most hamfisted, "I don't know what I'm actually talking about" way. Especially in outright horror games. There are certainly games out there that handle themes of mental illness in an interesting, well-done way, but the "Author trying and failing to be deep" and "ISN'T MENTAL ILLNESS SO ~SCAAAAAARY~!" camps far outnumber them.

Yeah it uhhh doesn't really handle the material that well lol, then has the balls to end the game with "THE END?" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Lust For Darkness 2: Dual Penetration
Lust For Darkness Pt 2: Extra Moist

Already exists and is in development. Seems to be tripling down on the Lovecraftian themes.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

It is a game about the horrors of mental illness and multiple personalities that seems to think it is far more clever and subtle than it, a game where one of the playable characters has the surname Hyde, actually is.

It also seems to just waste your time with a lot of tedious stuff during the cold war present day stuff.

They went so far as to give one of the guys in the note the last game 'Capgras.'

That's how loving stupid it is.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lifeglug posted:

Oh boy apparently there's a sequel to Lust for Darkness coming out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035120/Lust_from_Beyond/

Hahahahaha I knew about this but never checked the store page, they actually put up a screenshot of the steam-powered dildo being used.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Song of Horror, a good modern love letter to classic Alone in the Dark

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Which classic, the oddly scary lovecraft horror from the original, the hilarious wacky action movie thriller of the 2nd one, or the similarly wacky-but-not-quite-as-wacky-as-the-2nd jew's harp-filled action movie western of the 3rd?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope there's dressing up as Santa.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Which classic, the oddly scary lovecraft horror from the original, the hilarious wacky action movie thriller of the 2nd one, or the similarly wacky-but-not-quite-as-wacky-as-the-2nd jew's harp-filled action movie western of the 3rd?

First

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Basic Chunnel posted:

Song of Horror, a good modern love letter to classic Alone in the Dark

i am unironically twitching in excitement to learn that someone has attempted to fully realize the potential in Friday the 13th NES' death mechanic

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blockhouse posted:

I watched Scary Game Squad play through the recent Beast Inside demo and the only memorable part of it to me was when you find the corpse of JAMES WILKES BOOTH, JOHN WILKES BOOTH'S (fictional) BROTHER directly next a letter he wrote but never sent that establishes this fact

And then he drops the heated gamer moment word in that letter. Game has edge, yo.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
After watching a playthrough of The Beast Inside, all I can say is the twist of "it was YOU all along" needs to die, quick.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rudecyrus posted:

After watching a playthrough of The Beast Inside, all I can say is the twist of "it was YOU all along" needs to die, quick.
Are there any games where they double up that twist with "You were the killer all along!... But it's okay because turns out all those people you murdered were vampires or whatever. For realsies, we're not reaching for the 'or were you just hallucinating/crazy' twist".

But until that point played as if it would be that usual twist instead of "Well OBVIOUSLY I'm being framed or some other explanation! I'm a good boy who would never do a murder!" from step one Clear My Name Mysteries.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 5, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like "you were the killer all along!" is so overplayed in these $5 trash horror games at least partly because you don't have to spend the time modeling a secondary antagonist that way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The current situation with the overuse of twist endings is like that of a lovely restaurant that puts way too much salt on everything they cook. An already good story can be made excellent by using a surprise twist well, buf your story is already crap then it won't save your game to have one, though. Too many devs just don't understand that, it's like people who have heard that "there's no such thing as bad pizza" witticism once and just took it at face value.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In this constantly online world everyone is now aware that all psychological horror stole from Jacob's Ladder and Solaris including Silent Hill.

And I Am Legend which is the "you were the villain all along" twist perfected almost 70 years ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even Jacob's Ladder, which embodies the quintessential "it was all a dying dream" horror trope, is made more complex by the various timelines from Jacob's memory interfering and overlapping with one another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Jacob's Ladder gets a pass on it by virtue of it not really being a dream as such, see the iconic Meister Eckhart quote. There's some actual meaning to what happens instead of merely a cop-out "and then everything was fine again and nobody got hurt at all" happy ending at the last moment.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat has anyone checked out Lakeview Valley yet? Seems like a massively expanded version of the Lakeview Cabin games with like life simulator elements. Even though I never legitimately "solved" any of the cabin games they were delightfully reactive and fun to mess around in

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i absolutely love Song of Horror, instant-kill bullshit deaths and all, so thank you thread for letting me know about its existence

i still have no idea what the fuse box puzzle wanted from me but that's what youtubers are for and every other puzzle has been fun to solve

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah they kind of played themselves by giving the fuses themselves colors, I spent about five minutes saying "which of these is supposed to be blue" before realizing that it was a math problem and not a color matching puzzle

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

rudecyrus posted:

I returned Blair Witch 30 minutes in cause the writing was on the wall in 400 font.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It would honestly be more surprising at this point to have a horror game where the protagonist turns out to be a reasonably well adjusted person who is just trying to help when they get exposed to insane horrors from beyond. A Blair Witch game where you really are just a sheriff's deputy looking for a little kid would have had everyone waiting for the "IT'S YOU, YOU'RE EVIL" twist and astonished when you aren't.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean the original Blair Witch was all just a bunch of young people in the wrong place at the wrong time anyway right? I dunno why a Blair Witch game would do the "this is your penance!" thing or "you're the monster all along".

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Glagha posted:

I mean the original Blair Witch was all just a bunch of young people in the wrong place at the wrong time anyway right? I dunno why a Blair Witch game would do the "this is your penance!" thing or "you're the monster all along".

It's more psychological that way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wow posters in this thread really not shy about having not seen Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Wow posters in this thread really not shy about having not seen Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows
I have. I kind of wish I hadn't.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kinda wishing there was a horror game that reveals early on before the 2nd act that you are a / the murderer, surprise, and the rest of the game is dealing with the fallout thereafter

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basic Chunnel posted:

This isn't a bad thing

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Kinda wishing there was a horror game that reveals early on before the 2nd act that you are a / the murderer, surprise, and the rest of the game is dealing with the fallout thereafter

Not quit the same thing, but I would play the poo poo out of a game based on The Vanishing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

END ROLL is kind of like that. You figure out early on (like, very beginning of the game early) that your MC was...not a great person, and the main push of the game is if he comes to feel guilt for what he did, or not. It's mostly decided through finding optional scenes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Suffering's take on that twist was great because if you acted like a person who didn't kill your ex-wife and kids, it turned out you didn't. If you acted like a psycho, you did. Etc.

But then, The Suffering will always be an inexplicably excellent game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Night10194 posted:

The Suffering's take on that twist was great because if you acted like a person who didn't kill your ex-wife and kids, it turned out you didn't. If you acted like a psycho, you did. Etc.

But then, The Suffering will always be an inexplicably excellent game.

It's a shame The Suffering 2 happened

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Suffering 2 was still pretty all right. I like how it'd read your ending save from the first if you had one and change the intro and story accordingly, it'd even slightly acknowledge if you changed your alignment from one game to another. I don't think I've seen any games do that other than Mass Effect.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Suffering 2 is so bland, not even Dr. Hamsitup communicating with you via TV can save it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Game where you’re the murderer from the very start, and the thrust of it is that some supernatural hopped up HUSSY is trying to muscle in on your territory, so you gotta set aside your usual deal to take this fucker downtown for a groundpound

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Black August posted:

Game where you’re the murderer from the very start, and the thrust of it is that some supernatural hopped up HUSSY is trying to muscle in on your territory, so you gotta set aside your usual deal to take this fucker downtown for a groundpound

Painkiller?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
A game where you play as the killer, and the twist is that it wasnt actually you

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Harvest Moon?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Black August posted:

That's basically the Darkness.

szary posted:

A game where you play as the killer, and the twist is that it wasnt actually you

And so is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Black August posted:

Jason vs Sadako?