Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'd say wait till this dude meets his first GMO guy but I guess we've already established he won't be meeting anybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

u can't be considered politically active until you meet a father's rights guy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The local DSA has been a disaster for several years, but this was the month where little mexican kids were being thrown in concentration camps, so maybe that felt slightly more urgent than the poor bastard who got booed down from the stage for saying, "Guys, I have an announcement"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
would you describe the dsa as "triggered snowflakes"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would describe them as "extremely trustfund"

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

ElGroucho posted:

The local DSA has been a disaster for several years, but this was the month where little mexican kids were being thrown in concentration camps, so maybe that felt slightly more urgent than the poor bastard who got booed down from the stage for saying, "Guys, I have an announcement"

1. That sucks and is kinda dumb on their part.
2. That's a pretty non-specific time frame.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goons: not everyone who attends DSA will have the same priorities as you and you have to accept that, also why don't you prioritize this particular thing you stupid piece of poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
that’s kind of funny as it’s pretty unlikely you aren’t exactly a poor firebrand considering this sites demographics

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heath posted:

Goons: not everyone who attends DSA will have the same priorities as you and you have to accept that, also why don't you prioritize this particular thing you stupid piece of poo poo

man when you really want to own someone you make poo poo up.

A dark path every goon has walked down before

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

that’s kind of funny as it’s pretty unlikely you aren’t exactly a poor firebrand considering this sites demographics

Everyone on this site is white and has money, very true

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it's just interesting that out of all the silly poo poo dsa people say and do and the stupid causes some of them have, pronouns was the straw that broke the camel's back

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Everyone on this site is white and has money, very true

ah someone doesn’t like people assuming poo poo about them eh?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ElGroucho posted:

You don't understand

That was literally the only thing that lady cared about

If Trump used the right pronouns, she wouldn't care about anything else

get real, that rich lady 100% just cared about making the meeting about herself

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know, I guess if you guys saw a little kid in a cage that looked like your son, it might make you hope for some effort

Anyway, don't give your money to the DSA, send it to the IWW

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this is just reminding me of when the Aetna horse was aghast that the Sanders campaign was gathering a database of supporters' contact info to ask them for donations, an unprecedented and insane move no serious politician would contemplate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know, I guess if you guys saw a little kid in a cage that looked like your son, it might make you hope for some effort

Anyway, don't give your money to the DSA, send it to the IWW

that effort shouldn’t be from you tho, only other people

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

that effort shouldn’t be from you tho, only other people

Calm down already

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this is like when a bunch of people left the yippies because they were told they can no longer use the n word in meetings

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Calm down already

isn’t this the point where you take your ball and go home

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
the only n word I love is nife all chuds

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmfao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

god I wish my local DSA had some lady mad about pronouns, the last meeting I went to consistent entirely of reading the minutes from the previous meeting and a couple proposals for topics to table for some future meeting and this took two hours

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

god I wish my local DSA had some lady mad about pronouns, the last meeting I went to consistent entirely of reading the minutes from the previous meeting and a couple proposals for topics to table for some future meeting and this took two hours

This was largely my experience

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if that lady was sucking up all the air in the room the co-chair running the meeting needs to step their game up, if it was just elbow rubbing time and somebody having a single issue they didn't want to deviate from you're gonna have trouble organizing in general, much less in hostile shop floors with the wobblies, to say nothing of the wobblies (and every other group to ever exist) having similar issues with people driving hard about what they consider to be the critical issue of our times

difficult or lunatic people are excellent resources to sharpen your ability to meet people where they're at and bring them around to your side, when I'm out and about hootin' and hollarin' I'd much rather run into a conservative or lunatic than a liberal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ElGroucho posted:

the only n word I love is nife all chuds

hehehehehehe

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

jesus christ

maybe the chair is one of these dudes who sleeps with Robert's Rules of Order

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

if that lady was sucking up all the air in the room the co-chair running the meeting needs to step their game up, if it was just elbow rubbing time and somebody having a single issue they didn't want to deviate from you're gonna have trouble organizing in general, much less in hostile shop floors with the wobblies, to say nothing of the wobblies (and every other group to ever exist) having similar issues with people driving hard about what they consider to be the critical issue of our times

difficult or lunatic people are excellent resources to sharpen your ability to meet people where they're at and bring them around to your side, when I'm out and about hootin' and hollarin' I'd much rather run into a conservative or lunatic than a liberal

A legitimate thoughtful response, thank you friend

You are probably correct

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

I'm beginning to think my local DSA is unusually good or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Joey Steel posted:

an organization as decentralized as the DSA is going to very between chapters.

if you want to actually accomplish anything it’s just how these things work.

there has never been a perfect revolutionary body, even during the revolutionary period

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

our meetings are usually 45-60 minutes tops but we also don't read previous minutes (why? those should get distributed via the listserv and anything relevant from the last meeting that needs discussed should be a talking point with allotted time and procedure) and reserve heated or lengthy discussion for the open floor period. I've never heard a single objection to this, probably because when it's pitched as "respecting peoples' time" attendees tend to shy away from abusing the floor during agenda discussion

it's a democratic org, before you bail because the meetings are awful shoot a line to your co-chair or whoever runs them with your concerns

tbh tho I'm not even sure HOW we could stretch a meeting out to 2 hours, even with minutes reading

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Epic High Five posted:

our meetings are usually 45-60 minutes tops but we also don't read previous minutes (why? those should get distributed via the listserv and anything relevant from the last meeting that needs discussed should be a talking point with allotted time and procedure) and reserve heated or lengthy discussion for the open floor period. I've never heard a single objection to this, probably because when it's pitched as "respecting peoples' time" attendees tend to shy away from abusing the floor during agenda discussion

it's a democratic org, before you bail because the meetings are awful shoot a line to your co-chair or whoever runs them with your concerns

tbh tho I'm not even sure HOW we could stretch a meeting out to 2 hours, even with minutes reading
120 minutes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joey Steel posted:

you really need someone who knows how to herd cats for things to keep moving, and I think in Baltimore at least all the people with real organization/management experience are devoting all their time to one of the five hundred other community organizations working desperately to keep the city from collapsing into rubble for one more day, leaving DSA moderation to the mumblecore ditherers who don't wanna be mean by telling someone to wrap it up

I can't really complain too much because the very thought of trying to wrangle those dudes makes all the life leave my body and I'd much rather spend my time doing something I feel more qualified for like getting the free school running again

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
the new orleans DSA is mostly good people but it’s also pretty toothless. the city leans left culturally but has a weird laissez faire/libertarianish attitude, maybe to do with how absolutely brazenly corrupt the local government is and has been for decades; it’s hard to make headway because no one trusts that any local legislation that’s good will ever pass, and while you can talk to people about bernie and they’re receptive, there’s literally no chance that Louisiana goes blue so all we can really do is encourage people to donate and phonebank and convert family members/friends in more relevant states. which is all very good and important, but there aren’t a lot of local wins to get people excited or drive new membership. on a side note it’s also extremely weird to me how little interest or energy there is about climate change concerns, but maybe the whole city is in collective denial because at current trends New Orleans will be gone in 50 years

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the new orleans DSA is mostly good people but it’s also pretty toothless. the city leans left culturally but has a weird laissez faire/libertarianish attitude, maybe to do with how absolutely brazenly corrupt the local government is and has been for decades; it’s hard to make headway because no one trusts that any local legislation that’s good will ever pass, and while you can talk to people about bernie and they’re receptive, there’s literally no chance that Louisiana goes blue so all we can really do is encourage people to donate and phonebank and convert family members/friends in more relevant states. which is all very good and important, but there aren’t a lot of local wins to get people excited or drive new membership. on a side note it’s also extremely weird to me how little interest or energy there is about climate change concerns, but maybe the whole city is in collective denial because at current trends New Orleans will be gone in 50 years

New Orleans DSA is also the ones who started the Brake Light clinic, right? It's the inspiration for the weekly repair cafe we do with the local YDSA on one of the State U campuses here. Y'all do good work.

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Nov 6, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Joey Steel posted:

New Orleans DSA is also the ones who started the Brake Light clinic, right? It's the inspiration for the weekly repair cafe we do with the local YDSA on one of the State U campuses here. Y'all do good work.

we are good about the brake lights, that’s true! and community solidarity events. I guess in an area this electorally locked down, it makes sense that it’s more direct action focused, and Bernie’s momentum is definitely driving some interest. I think things are going okay, I think I’m just frustrated at how well-armored the political establishment is in this state and unsure what can be done about it while there are so many rural parishes with a tiny population that make recapturing state government nearly impossible even with the biggest cities in the state being solidly blue and getting bluer

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

start a peoples militia

Break away from Louisiana

declare the New Orleans Commune

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

send comrades out to tip the numbers in the shithole parishes and drive their old residents into the gator swamps

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Agean90 posted:

start a peoples militia

Break away from Louisiana

declare the New Orleans Commune

this would be great

I would also accept northern louisiana being absorbed by arkansas

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Reanimate Huey Long with swamp magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The People's Front of Judea is where it's at. Don't send your money to the Judean People's Front.