Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The real trick if you have long hair is to pull it out and put it to one side rather than letting it go down the drain.

You still get some but at least the drain will last you through an entire shower that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

RockyB posted:

I'm talking specifically about the sediment cup type inserts you stick down the shower pipe, where you have to scoop the hair sludge out every once in a while.

Yep, that's the type I have too. Just throw that top bit away, all it does is make it harder to clean the loving thing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Do you have to carry a really big opposing magnet to cancel it out?

:justpost:

No, but you can normally pull them open with enough grunt - for safety reasons the power of the magnets is limited to apply only about 50 kilos of force when they're closed.

Anyway the Weird Trick is that there's a bug in a lot of the older intercom systems where if enough buttons are held down at once the system resets and the door lock releases. It only works on the numbers higher than the most significant figure of flats in the block (so if there's 50 flats, holding down buttons 6-0 should do it). They're replacing the systems now so the trick will yield diminishing returns. Also if you're a morning person, the "Trades" button on most of those systems will open the door between 8am and midday.

(Also those systems have the older FB access locks - the ones with the semicircular opening - which can normally be activated with a screwdriver or even a ring pull)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:yeshaha:

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1192110303804370945?s=20

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This came up a couple of times previously in the thread but it had moved on by the time I noticed and thought to ask - does anyone have a source for this? Because even the lovely 80s security retrofits fail open, and I've literally never seen a physical lock installed on a council block of any vintage on an exit route. Also any further word/confirmation as to whether or not Serco had run actual gas pipes up the stairwell?

(Also not sure if I should share the One Weird Trick that'll get you through like 90% of those 80s/90s council block doors because it's possibly close to B&E even if it shaves quite a lot of time (and annoyed people you randomly have to buzz to get in) when canvassing.)

e: Now I think of it, no, the fire exit on the stairwell can't possibly have been locked because that would have been the LFB's point of access unless Grenfell has an *extremely* weird layout.
i was reading the grenfell report earlier, it goes out of the way to mention the gas pipes not being a reason for the fire spread despite earlier indications. they still had the pipework exposed and not boxed in months after the refurb though, but that's decorative and more a sign of shoddy workmanship than changing the hazard of it all. nothing about the pipes being in the stairwell (i do vaguely recall that mentioned at the time), and the report does praise a specific engineer for cutting the supply which was the fuel source after everything else had failed around it

mentioned it elsewhere but the stage 1 report - despite the news articles trying to flay the fire department - is more focused on the control room being understaffed and procedures for staying on the line until the person is rescued not adding up to the amount of calls coming in. keep in mind stage 1 focuses on night of fire and response, meaning the inquiry can't say what lead up to them being in that state until stage 2

there was also communication issues on the ground between fire/police/ambulance (they were deciding if was a major incident of not 30m between each other but not telling anyone else). no sharing of info between the control room personnel of the status of each room (and it not getting fed back to ground crew). they were unprepared for dealing with a high-rise that should have had compartmentalisation failing and no one with authority was making the call to call off the stay-put order (~50m after the fire started is the judgement in hindsight of the paper when the fire was clearly out of control, but stay-put was called off over 1.5h later)

the main point of the inquiry is in stage 2 though, this seemed aimed at delving into the minute-by-minute response of a crisis scenario and it's not surprising that things didn't go to plan

that's just off memory though so have a read of vol. 1 and 4: https://www.grenfelltowerinquiry.org.uk/phase-1-report

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kay Burley suddenly seems a lot cooler when she's attacking people I hate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

CGI Stardust posted:

this reminds me of a letter a friend showed me a few years back, sent around a university halls of residence, begging the students to stop wanking in the shower because it was clogging the water filtration. i think the halls threatened to install filters on each shower individually if it didn't stop

ed: they included a picture of said filter. it was not nice.

ed ed: the maintenance team had complained explicitly about "semen clogging the filters", and they didn't want to have to keep cleaning them

At least it's not train tracks - ask rail maintenance staff about poo traps....

blunt posted:

This is clearly a task for an apprentice (£3.90/hr)

An over 60s woman having to put off retirement for 5 years no less!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/05/women-hit-by-pension-age-change-can-take-up-apprenticeships

(Yes I know it's from 2017).

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192126915789950976
Encouraging but not that interesting from a topline pespective.

More interesting in the follow up questions:

- Only 29% support Johnson's Brexit deal, 38% oppose

- 25% of Leave voters oppose his deal, 47% support

One in four leave voters not backing his deal could be problematic if the Brexit party really does stand everywhere.

https://twitter.com/DrFrancesRyan/status/1192029756239306752

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you scooped all that spunk out of the student dorm you could probbably sell it to peter thiel to rub all over his body as a potion of youth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Kay Burley suddenly seems a lot cooler when she's attacking people I hate.

Since Murdoch sold off sky news it's garbo rating has decreased significantly

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm really enjoying the libdem campaign, more so than the tories who have been evil for a decade now

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Had an advertisement for the conservatives up on my Facebook feed and the comment section is all fake profiles and bots saying the same poo poo. How is this legal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
++ Facebook Sinecure For User Clegg ++

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm really enjoying the libdem campaign, more so than the tories who have been evil for a decade now

The Lib Dems have been evil for a decade. The Tories have been evil for at least 40 years.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jedit posted:

The Lib Dems have been evil for a century. The Tories have been evil for at least 400 years.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Faithless posted:

Had an advertisement for the conservatives up on my Facebook feed and the comment section is all fake profiles and bots saying the same poo poo. How is this legal

It's probably not.

It probably doesn't matter, because its legality will only be tested afterwards, and the penalties are minimal compared to the rewards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Faithless posted:

:capitalism:

Really the logical end result of production driving consumption is to simply produce the consumers as well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Grenfell: Long wiki people trapped in their flats, all sorts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was looking back on old footage from this decade as this one comes to a close. There's plenty more but I thought each leader had a particular highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwzTMZ88JCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S8EqyjgvBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdIPHCnRVP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gz6mZYxS0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UI9XcQ0jFc

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

RockyB posted:

I'm talking specifically about the sediment cup type inserts you stick down the shower pipe, where you have to scoop the hair sludge out every once in a while.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1632203351...DCABEgLnBPD_BwE

Honestly I think I'd rather have a straight pipe I can dump toxic chemicals down than a filter system that needs cleaning.

But just imagine: A fetid, matted mass of lank blonde hair. Intermixed with the odd darker strand from Acuri, and the flop sweat of a grunting heavyweight tory politician.

£8.21 an hour. £4.35 if you can find a young enough intern!

As a mental health worker I had to clear out one of these and it became a life long scar, so I might as well inflict it on others

Spoilered for weak stomachs/those eating

previous staff had not realised it was a thing that might hold stuff and thought it was just a weird plug hole and thus it never got cleaned properly and that shower was solely used by a lady who happened to have vagina problems and oh god the memory of the smell/texture/sight of it is enough to turn my stomach 15 years later

I put olbas oil on the inside of a dust mask and otherwise built my own hazmat suit largely from bin bags to deal with it and ended up killing my sense of smell for about a week because that much olbas oil up close is a bad loving idea in the vast majority of circumstances. But it got cleaned :colbert:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, I know this is from last week, but regarding the data we got from the .json on getvoting.org (https://pastebin.com/LC7dsNsf and https://pastebin.com/60j0p9fK), what did "pledge" refer to? People who had signed some kind of remainer pledge or something?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hey, I know this is from last week, but regarding the data we got from the .json on getvoting.org (https://pastebin.com/LC7dsNsf and https://pastebin.com/60j0p9fK), what did "pledge" refer to? People who had signed some kind of remainer pledge or something?

Pledge is the recommended cleaning brand for jizzy plugs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only a tin of furniture polish can win here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was reading the grenfell report earlier, it goes out of the way to mention the gas pipes not being a reason for the fire spread despite earlier indications. they still had the pipework exposed and not boxed in months after the refurb though, but that's decorative and more a sign of shoddy workmanship than changing the hazard of it all. nothing about the pipes being in the stairwell (i do vaguely recall that mentioned at the time), and the report does praise a specific engineer for cutting the supply which was the fuel source after everything else had failed around it

mentioned it elsewhere but the stage 1 report - despite the news articles trying to flay the fire department - is more focused on the control room being understaffed and procedures for staying on the line until the person is rescued not adding up to the amount of calls coming in. keep in mind stage 1 focuses on night of fire and response, meaning the inquiry can't say what lead up to them being in that state until stage 2

there was also communication issues on the ground between fire/police/ambulance (they were deciding if was a major incident of not 30m between each other but not telling anyone else). no sharing of info between the control room personnel of the status of each room (and it not getting fed back to ground crew). they were unprepared for dealing with a high-rise that should have had compartmentalisation failing and no one with authority was making the call to call off the stay-put order (~50m after the fire started is the judgement in hindsight of the paper when the fire was clearly out of control, but stay-put was called off over 1.5h later)

the main point of the inquiry is in stage 2 though, this seemed aimed at delving into the minute-by-minute response of a crisis scenario and it's not surprising that things didn't go to plan

that's just off memory though so have a read of vol. 1 and 4: https://www.grenfelltowerinquiry.org.uk/phase-1-report

Thanks for all that, and for filtering the report. I really can't read it - if I think too much or too long about Grenfell it just completely fucks me up.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

in fairness i'm only reading vol 1 and 4 and avoiding 2-3 which focus on the minute-by-minute details of what happened. only read up to chapter 25 atm as well, and stage 2 is what i'm more interested in as focusing on the minute-by-minute crisis response doesn't exactly help existing tenants in high rises in a regulatory context

if you have any specific questions i'll keep them in mind for the next reading session

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Did you ever know that you're my hero? :allears:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

feeling firm and fruity lads, feeling fantastic, get hyped fams, get some

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OK I think I finally get this Canada joke: Canada is a straight line above the USA so those cartoons with the cuts are sort of like that with the Canada bit jumping about.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I know, I'm in the remedial class today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That seems much too advanced for south park.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OK I think I finally get this Canada joke: Canada is a straight line above the USA so those cartoons with the cuts are sort of like that with the Canada bit jumping about.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

it's how south park draws canadians :v:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

South Park just animated Canadians like that, probably because they thought it was funny when they were high, and the general low-rent nature of the animation in early seasons of SP

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

Ah ok.
Haven't watched South Park for about 10 years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CGI Stardust posted:

I prefer the other version. Straight line. Yep.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1192024742506696704?s=19

Just seeing basic, actual journalism being applied is like magic

They don't like it up 'em, you see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

South Park just animated Canadians like that, probably because they thought it was funny when they were high, and the general low-rent nature of the animation in early seasons of SP
Yeah South Park got typecast as "that cartoon with the lovely cardstock animation where all they do is fart and say gently caress" by the press, so they made a show within a show that was exactly that, then it became how they depicted Canadians in general.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

IIRC it's because that's how they animated Ike in the first cartoon (when they were still doing it with stop-motion cutouts) and they found it so funny they animated Terrence and Phillip the same way, and only decided to make it the model for all Canadians when they did Not Without My Anus.

Also that reminds me that there are South Park fans that are *still* salty about that episode (because it pissed all over the cliffhanger at the end of season 1) which makes it objectively the best episode, in the same way That 90s Show is the best Simpsons episode because all fandom is idiocy and should be hosed with at every opportunity.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?
Finally got my own dodgy Lib Dem poll leaflet through the door today.

This is a Labour Tory marginal and the sitting Tory MP isn't standing! Pretty sure Electoral Calculus isn't a pollster either.

2017 result:

Side note, any other UCU members in the thread going on strike on the 25th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

DesperateDan posted:

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1192024742506696704?s=19
Just seeing basic, actual journalism being applied is like magic

I really, really hope it continues like this. Conservatives just do not know how to react when members of the press don't have their tongue firmly wedged up tory arse. Sooner or later the sheer volume of crap might mean a few bits trickling down to those low information voters.

Anyway if there's one thing you can say for Jo; Swindon, it's that unlike most of her party she's been a dyed in the tartan lib dem since the cheeky girl era.