Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rASpieLvH7c

A r/wsb idiot/incel found a bug in Robin Hoods trading platform that allowed him to take out absolutely stupid positions on margin, and then completely lost his rear end to the tune of $60,000. Dude put up $2000, and shorted Apple $60000 on margin before their earnings call based on nothing more than his firmly held belief that women can't exist in the business world.

Not Bitcoin related but it reminded me of the thread title.

The subject of the video is probably a future coiner or has been a coiner in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

his puts, for context, did short apple stock by like 10% lol

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

orange juche posted:

The subject of the video is probably a future coiner or has been a coiner in the past.

IIRC he has cryptocurrencied in the past, yes.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

timick posted:

http://www.stephendiehl.com/posts/libra.html

Oddly enough there seems to be a few problems with FB's new cryptocurrency.

this is a pro read

some butter is mad about this article
https://tonyarcieri.com/factual-inaccuracies-of-facebook-libra-is-architecturally-unsound

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Or should I say "FACEBOOK"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

Or should I say "FACEBOOK"

Sovereign Netizen spotted.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

what the gently caress is the circle thing at the bottom of that with "(number) kudos" next to it?

i hovered the mouse over it and it played an animation of the circle filling up and told me "don't move", and then the number went up

is this good for bitcoin???

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hammerite posted:

what the gently caress is the circle thing at the bottom of that with "(number) kudos" next to it?

i hovered the mouse over it and it played an animation of the circle filling up and told me "don't move", and then the number went up

You've just fathered a bitcoin. Congratulations!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Hammerite posted:

I don't know bc I preferred not to touch the stylized anus at the end of the bitcoiners blog post

timick
Apr 7, 2016

That actually seems like a pretty good rebuttal .

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

timick posted:

Heh, re-butt-al, I get it.

timick
Apr 7, 2016

drat, I wish I had thought of that.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's only an ok rebuttal for a fun side project, not a project meant to launch a global currency sometime next year. Libra is supposed to launch fully functional in 2020.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Paladinus posted:

You've just fathered a bitcoin. Congratulations!

I am hit by a wave of nausea and regret, much like the one i get after making one of my are posts

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

timick posted:

Note carefully how all of the answers boil down to how in theory they have the tools to handle the problems raised but that they're theorizing on how they actually want to solve most of the problems and running basic tests on the tools that they intend to work with. This is for something the size of a major credit card company going live in months. Answers like how fast their blockchain is running right now are disingenuous because most of the overhead in transaction times takes place for things like fraud checks that they haven't even started to try to implement. Because they're testing their programming tools. Before implementation of pretty much all of the meaty bits. For a payment system intended to go live in months.

This is the timeframe where they should be testing the finished system up, down, and sideways, double checking against their regulatory compliance, and oh yes testing their links with the rest of the global financial system. This is not the timeframe for an answer consisting of 'well, we have the tools to solve our current cornucopia of basic functionality problems but we're still working out how exactly we want to do that.'

To draw a metaphor this is not the time to be drawing blueprints for the rocket, this is the time to be running down prelaunch checklists.

Complications fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 6, 2019

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the most damning part of the rebutt is

quote:

Libra’s Move language is unsound

The core argument of this section is the Move language claims to use linear types, but the Move IR compiler contains no prover to assert the soundness, ala something like the Rust borrow checker.

This is true, but also highly misleading: the Move IR compiler does not perform these checks, and can emit bytecode which is unsound, however that code is immediately checked by a bytecode verifier which asserts these properties, including reference safety. To me this provides better guarantees than doing these checks in the Move IR compiler alone: it ensures all bytecode is checked, regardless of what compiler emitted it.

Is it actually sound? I don’t know, it’s brand new and looks unfinished to me, and even if it were finished I’m unqualified to make that assertion, but it’s certainly quite a bit more existing machinery than the original blog post would lead you to believe.

Beyond that, they have experimental support for translating their bytecode to Boogie IVL in order to facilitate formal verification.

"i know nothing about it but i think the blog man is wrong on this one."

Zlodo posted:

I don't know bc I preferred not to touch the stylized anus at the end of the bitcoiners blog post

every time you let the dot fill up and turn red, another blog post falls out like a bloody stool

also theres no check on making number go up

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Zamujasa posted:

highly misleading

....bruce?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Complications posted:

To draw a metaphor this is not the time to be drawing blueprints for the rocket, this is the time to be running down prelaunch checklists.

I feel like Facebook thought they could pull an Uber and break laws initially, fending off legal attacks, and then become ubiquitous enough that moronic politicians begin depend on them and start changing laws in their favour. Turns out more people care about international finance than taxi-driver suicides, thought.

They have Uber's "hemorrhage larger amounts of money and squander public good will" strategy down pat thought.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't know - their first rebuttal is that, actually, in fact, libra is designed to run in permissioned or permissionless configurations so yes it does actually need byzantine tolerance when that isn't even the diehl's point. the point is why have they designed it to run in both of those configurations and therefore require byzantine tolerance and the associated performance costs when designing a system intended to be run only in permissioned systems.
the answer, of course, is because otherwise it wouldn't be ~blockchain~

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

is it implemented in javascript

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

....bruce?

bruce “bruce bruce” bruce

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

AlbieQuirky posted:

bruce “bruce bruce” bruce

malkovich?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boxturret posted:

....bruce?

the reference takes me back to a happier era.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFlamcake/status/1192479787777966080

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

its like letting a convicted ax murderer read ax lovers monthly in prison

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Since that's Ross's mom's cosplay account we'll never know who actually read the book (unless it's a handwritten note from the SHU)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I'm the profound place in history in which bitcoin resides (it's the butt)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Mammon Loves You posted:

Since that's Ross's mom's cosplay account we'll never know who actually read the book (unless it's a handwritten note from the SHU)

lucky ross if he’s in a prison that lets you have books sent in by whoever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so like if some president took pity on fross and pardoned him is there any doubt that he wouldn't immediately return to doing crimes? to date he seems to only really regret getting caught

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

lucky ross if he’s in a prison that lets you have books sent in by whoever
it's more a matter of what the books are than who's sending them. the bitcoin standard probably doesn't talk enough about black people being people to get blocked.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I realize this isn't Bitcoin, but this chart is far too :bitcoin: not to share:

https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1192198379859636225

It's literally the first stage on that technical_analysis.jpg comic from a few weeks ago.

Edit: vvv Yes, it is real. vvv (Also Softbank apparently has their own TLD for some reason.)

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 8, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

love that someone asks "is this real?" and the proof given in response is a different slide with flying unicorns that looks even more unbelievable.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:wrong:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Butts go down lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

so like if some president took pity on fross and pardoned him is there any doubt that he wouldn't immediately return to doing crimes? to date he seems to only really regret getting caught

Honestly, if he ever managed to get out he’ll probably take the Kevin Mitnick route of doing paid speaking appearances and consulting for the bitcoin crowd. The big difference is that, unlike with cybersecurity, there’s unlikely to be much pay in bitcoins speaking/consulting a decade from now.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

LanceHunter posted:

Honestly, if he ever managed to get out he’ll probably take the Kevin Mitnick route of doing paid speaking appearances and consulting for the bitcoin crowd. The big difference is that, unlike with cybersecurity, there’s unlikely to be much pay in bitcoins speaking/consulting a decade from now.
Counterpoint: pogs.

https://m.ranker.com/list/valuable-collectible-pogs/mick-jacobs

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's more a matter of what the books are than who's sending them. the bitcoin standard probably doesn't talk enough about black people being people to get blocked.

a lot of prisons now have one approved vendor and you can only get the books they have in stock

this is both extremely lovely and at the exact intersection of two of my obsessions, books and prison reform

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

No, dollar went up. 1 bitcoin is still exactly 1 bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

a lot of prisons now have one approved vendor and you can only get the books they have in stock

this is both extremely lovely and at the exact intersection of two of my obsessions, books and prison reform
ahahahahaha that's perfect

love you america