Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Have you not yet come the the realization that your very high cost of living group is being managed out?

Just because I don't mention it while venting doesn't mean I don't realize it :v: (I'm actually just holding out for paternity leave in a few months while job hunting.)

The only thing I can see against the high COL group being phased out is that they put $200-million into my facility in the last three years. On the other hand, that didn't stop PFE from moving an entire department halfway across the country in like 2005, then closing the site when they got there and moving them all right back again.

It's a pity. I really enjoyed the first few years of this job before the brainworms got hold of my managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

This is some A+ fishmeching.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm going to count a VP of New Business Development as a sales guy, he sold services for the ad agency where I worked IT for far too many years.

And he hosed up.

One of the agency's prize possessions was a high-end, LED projector and a hardened travel case for it. The whole setup cost about ten grand and the pitch team had to sign for it to take it on business travel. It had a VGA connector, plug it into a laptop and hey presto, an external monitor. As a Mac shop this was almost literally a no-brainer.

l sign out the projector on a Thursday. Tuesday they're back, and I get called into the main conference room. I find the VP of New Biz sitting at the table, with the president of the agency and the guy who came up with the "Got Milk?" campaign standing behind him. Everybody looks pissed. He points me at a seat and launches into his tirade.

The projector didn't work ! We looked like jerks up there ! Five million in new business down the drain (we did about $100 million a year) ! That loving projector has to work !

On and on. He finally wraps up leans forward in his seat, locks eyes with me, and says "What do you have to say for yourself ?"

I looked him right back and asked him, "Did it work in rehearsal?"

Dead silence for about twenty seconds. Then the president thanks me for my time and says they'll take it from here.

The New Biz guy was strangely subdued for weeks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

We are setting goals for next year. But rather than asking us for our goal, management just wants our "Bold Goals". They want four "Bold Goals". And they should be reached within 4 months. I just added my usual goals of "continue progress toward ..." on all of the projects I am working on.

mllaneza posted:

I'm going to count a VP of New Business Development as a sales guy, he sold services for the ad agency where I worked IT for far too many years.

And he hosed up.

One of the agency's prize possessions was a high-end, LED projector and a hardened travel case for it. The whole setup cost about ten grand and the pitch team had to sign for it to take it on business travel. It had a VGA connector, plug it into a laptop and hey presto, an external monitor. As a Mac shop this was almost literally a no-brainer.

l sign out the projector on a Thursday. Tuesday they're back, and I get called into the main conference room. I find the VP of New Biz sitting at the table, with the president of the agency and the guy who came up with the "Got Milk?" campaign standing behind him. Everybody looks pissed. He points me at a seat and launches into his tirade.

The projector didn't work ! We looked like jerks up there ! Five million in new business down the drain (we did about $100 million a year) ! That loving projector has to work !

On and on. He finally wraps up leans forward in his seat, locks eyes with me, and says "What do you have to say for yourself ?"

Dead silence for about twenty seconds. Then the president thanks me for my time and says they'll take it from here.

The New Biz guy was strangely subdued for weeks.

I remember reading this story previously, but it still brings me so much joy every time I read it. :)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

therobit posted:

If you want to tar everyone as an rear end in a top hat who has ever asked to be paid what they are owed, I don't know what to tell you. What is your solution to when people don't pay back what they borrowed or were extended credit for?

ah yes the 2007 branch of the bank

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sundae posted:

(I'm actually just holding out for paternity leave in a few months while job hunting.)

Grats on the baby!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lockback posted:

This was in the Legal Advice subreddit of all places

Renegret trying to find legal loopholes.

hey no fair

I showered this week

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

bring back the jubilee

Boy howdy have I got a thread for you

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

lol I've been posting in that thread since it was the previous other thread where I somehow, miraculously survived until the end.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

mllaneza posted:

I have heard this story at least 3 times and still I take a moment at this part to savour it.

I can literally taste it in my mouth now.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm an idiot who has trouble understanding the whole picture. Did they not do rehearsal? Is "rehearsal" something they have to do to check it out and therefore it had to work to check it out? Did it work in rehearsal but it was clear that they were idiots about setting it up for the real deal?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm an idiot who has trouble understanding the whole picture. Did they not do rehearsal? Is "rehearsal" something they have to do to check it out and therefore it had to work to check it out? Did it work in rehearsal but it was clear that they were idiots about setting it up for the real deal?

They didn't do a rehearsal. Didn't even take 5 minutes out of their day to test the equipment beforehand even though 5 mil was on the line.

I guaranfuckingtee you there was nothing wrong with that projector too.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Renegret posted:

They didn't do a rehearsal. Didn't even take 5 minutes out of their day to test the equipment beforehand even though 5 mil was on the line.

That's what I figured.

Perfection.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Renegret posted:

Yup.

I need to retire that story for this thread.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It means they either hosed up the deal by not bothering to rehearse their presentation or by being incompetent with technology in the actual presentation.

No matter their answer they are to blame for the $5 million dollar deal failing.

E: beaten because apparently not the whole thread loaded.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mllaneza posted:

Yup.

I need to retire that story for this thread.

no

don't

it's too perfect

e: there's a couple other stories that keep popping up in this thread and I don't think anyone cares because they're just too perfect to not read again and again.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Renegret posted:

no

don't

it's too perfect

e: there's a couple other stories that keep popping up in this thread and I don't think anyone cares because they're just too perfect to not read again and again.

They are little rays of sunshine and I enjoy living vicariously through them.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I want a coffee table book of the best stories from this thread. Is that weird?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The Rehearsal story is this thread's version of Pete in the relationships thread. It warms my heart every time I read it.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Any chance you could link us to the Pete story since many of us don't follow that thread?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Seconded. I'd love to read it.

quote:

Grats on the baby!

Thanks. :3: Just trying to stop the avalanche of pink from our families now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

Seconded. I'd love to read it.

Thanks. :3: Just trying to stop the avalanche of pink from our families now.

This is your chance. Take as much of the free poo poo as you can. Old people love buying poo poo for the baby.

And get a new job now because it's hard to find the willpower to job hunt when you average 8 hours of sleep a night.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm so tired

Please someone kill me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
With a newborn you’ll average closer to 8 hours of sleep a week

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Any chance you could link us to the Pete story since many of us don't follow that thread?

quote:

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.

Did I screw up?

So, I (f/25) have been seeing my boyfriend, Pete (m/30) for 6 months and its been wonderful. I really thought I'd found "the one" with him, but after last night I feel my world has collapsed and am not sure I've made the right decisions or if I was right. My heart feels like its been pulled out of my chest and I can't sleep. I'd never felt like this about anyone before.

My good friend, who we'll call Dave, was my boyfriend from the age of 18 to 21, after which we broke up because we wanted different things in life. We stayed good friends though because we had a great friendship and had been through so much together. He lives in a different country at the moment but we still talk semi-regularly online and in Whatsapp. Pete knew that Dave was a friend of mine but didn't know he was an ex until about 2 weeks ago, when Dave asked me to visit him in Amsterdam while he's on a work trip (I live in the UK, he lives in Italy). I had already agreed and booked a ticket before I told Pete - they were on sale for a ridiculously low price on the dates that he would be there, so I jumped at the opportunity.

Pete seemed cool with it at first but after a few days asked me if there was any history between us. I was honest and told him there was. He didn't seem too bothered and eventually asked if I thought visiting an ex in another country was appropriate whilst in a relationship. I explained to him how Dave and my relationship wasn't like that and that we were strictly platonic. He didn't seem to really react, he just gave me a look that was...sarcastic, I suppose, would be the best way to describe it. I then told him that I wouldn't be controlled and hated men that thought they owned me and could tell me what to do. I told him I was free to see who I wanted and that I found his lack of trust in me upsetting, disrespectful and, perhaps, a sign of future abusiveness. I now realise that this may have been a bad thing to say. Again, he didn't really react so I thought that was the end of it.

Then, last night, he came around to my flat and broke up with me!

I asked him why and tried to get him to explain himself and he told me that my going away was to see "another man" a deal-breaker, that he'd been in this type of situation before and wasn't going to go through it again. I asked him if this was an ultimatum - I hate ultimatums, they are tools of abusers - and he said "No, its not an ultimatum. I've decided to break up with you. I have not presented you with any options. I just came to say goodbye."
Before I could say or do anything more, he kissed me on the forehead, said goodbye and walked away. He didn't seem angry, just...sad.
I tried to call him after, but he just texted me some bullshit about how this was for the best and that he wished me no ill will and hopes I'll be happy. He turned his phone off after whilst I bombarded him with texts and voicemails.

To make matters worse, I told Dave about what happened and he replied "Oh well, guess that means we can have even more fun then! ;o)" He didn't care about my relationship and my pain - he just wanted a hookup buddy and someone to get stoned with whilst he was in Amsterdam.
Now I've lost someone I love and my best friend - who I was only interested in as friends - has a different motive to me for meeting up. I feel like I've lost my partner and I've lost a best friend at the same time.

I tried calling Pete today, about an hour ago, and he actually answered! He told me that I should look to be with someone who wasn't so abusive. He said, "Please stop calling me - this is over. Have a nice trip to Amsterdam" Then he BLOCKED me! How could he do that to someone he loves? Is he over reacting or was I? What should I do now? Was I wrong?

tl;dr:
Booked tickets to visit best friend. Got dumped because he was an ex. Did I just dodge a huge bullet...or did he?
EDIT: OK I KNOW I hosed UP. What should I do?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eric the Mauve posted:

With a newborn you’ll average closer to 8 hours of sleep a week

That's what I meant to say

But I'm too tired to catch my mistake.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't have time. It's after noon and I'm finally starting on the pile of tasks I set out for myself yesterday afternoon.

Why is that? Well, yesterday I had a professor ask for help with the classroom computers. When I gave her the contact info for classroom support (which is in the room) she flat out admitted that she knows I'm not IT, we have IT support specifically for this thing, but it would take him about five minutes to walk here and I'm down the hall.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can’t quote that poo poo and not link it

I need the comments on that thread injected into my veins

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can’t quote that poo poo and not link it

I need the comments on that thread injected into my veins

Sorry: the thread it is from just cuts and pastes from reddit without giving a link. But I am sure you can find it if you know reddit (I only know how to navigate these forums)

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Apparently the OP deleted the thread :sigh: It’s been copied all over the internet, but oh, what beautiful comments we doubtless lost.

Pete is my new spirit animal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Eagle boyfriend is also extremely good.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Apparently the OP deleted the thread :sigh: It’s been copied all over the internet, but oh, what beautiful comments we doubtless lost.

Pete is my new spirit animal

https://archive.is/uULD2

Nothing is ever lost on the internet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Keetron posted:

https://archive.is/uULD2

Nothing is ever lost on the internet.

This is beautiful.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Ugh, I hate when the situation isn't obviously good or bad. A recruiter contacted me about a local contract position for a company that's insourcing from India due to government regulations. The contract is 3 to 5 years, and at least part of the team would become permanent.

Three obvious cons: going from salary to hourly contract, going from remote to a 30-40 minute commute, I'd have to wear pants and work 9 to 5. Also it sounds like a bit of a chaotic mess.

Pro: it's like a 10% raise

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Benefits? Insurance?

That seems extremely not worth it to me. Temp to perm jobs are poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Unless you're really hurting for the cash it sounds like as big QoL dip across the board.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, you're right. I'll go into it with the expectation of saying no, especially if I lose any benefits.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
1hr per day on commuting means that your 10% raise is actually a 2% raise.
Add in the fuel costs and you're probably making a loss with this change.

Plus all the other shite that the wise old Sydin and Renegret pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tibalt posted:

Ugh, I hate when the situation isn't obviously good or bad. A recruiter contacted me about a local contract position for a company that's insourcing from India due to government regulations. The contract is 3 to 5 years, and at least part of the team would become permanent.

Three obvious cons: going from salary to hourly contract, going from remote to a 30-40 minute commute, I'd have to wear pants and work 9 to 5. Also it sounds like a bit of a chaotic mess.

Pro: it's like a 10% raise

Swing and a miss on this one. 10% raise isn't enough to justify that unless you're already out of work and desperate. Contract-to-Permanent is usually "Contract to get hosed" and depending on how they structure that contract, your 10% raise could actually be a self-employment tax increase eating more than that raise.