Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad they finally implemented the Exp Boost candies that Pokemon Shuffle's had for years at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Technical Records have a different set of moves from TMs. They're our replacements for Move Tutors and just consolidated into a singular system instead of spreading them out at various locations. You buy them all with a special type of currency from the Wild Area. Meaning that BP can be spent on other stuff instead of being burned on them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I want that cotton-candy-looking psychic-fairy type Pokemon. I need it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Blaziken386 posted:

and seeing as they used the same exact joysticks for the SwitchLite, which doesn't even have removeable joycons, yeah, it won't ever be fixed.

There's the Brook marine adaptor which lets you hook up a dualshock 4 to anything, but having a big bulky controller defeats the portability angle of the switch. Also it's like 100 bucks.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Still excited for the game, all things considered. The new mechanics such as mints and ability to transfer egg moves sound great. Thinking I'll aim to play competitively this generation. The only shame though is the post game seems so bare. I loved things like the Battle Factory, and even Sun and Moon did something by having old trainers play in the Battle Tree, but I'm not hearing much about anything in this game beyond the Tower.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is the first time they made it so you can use multiple of the same item, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So now the only reason you can't use the same individual pokemon both for story and competitive battling is if you need the hidden ability. Everything else can be changed on a wild-caught pokemon

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The severely butchered Pokedex is a real, genuine bummer but I'm genuinely excited for the game. I just don't think it's worth the absolute pant-making GBS threads meltdown that people have been having over it. Like, I just ventured a peek into r/Pokemon and it's as if these people were all just told their pet's throat will be slit in front of their eyes when they get home at the end of the day.

On the other hand, my very favorite pokemon are still in the game so the bummer is minimized.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

So now the only reason you can't use the same individual pokemon both for story and competitive battling is if you need the hidden ability. Everything else can be changed on a wild-caught pokemon

Unless you want a 0 IV in a stat (or a particular hidden power) yep

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

cheetah7071 posted:

Gigantamaxes are the only other exception AFAIK.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reddit has moved onto claiming that having access to your PC anywhere is the end of the world.

Maybe just have some self control and don’t use it? :shrug:

Edit: Apparently just the Wild Area?

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Countblanc posted:

Unless you want a 0 IV in a stat (or a particular hidden power) yep

On that note, given what they're doing now, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to make a "hidden power candy" or whatever for changing your HP type.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

On that note, given what they're doing now, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to make a "hidden power candy" or whatever for changing your HP type.

Or, here's a novel idea, expand movepools enough so that Pokemon don't actually need Hidden Power to compete.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
Nintendo is getting sued over the joycon drift thing btw, so I assume it will eventually be fixed

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
by putting out a new version of the controller without the issue, I mean

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having read all the leaks and seeing the new mons and QoL things, I'm pretty hype for Sownrd and Shellder and will play it a lot.

Dexit is kinda naff if we can't bring another 200 or so over from Home when it's out. I'm okay with the number for a base game. (Most of my favourites are out).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zuzie posted:

Or, here's a novel idea, expand movepools enough so that Pokemon don't actually need Hidden Power to compete.

Agreed, it's high time Lando gets ice beam

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zuzie posted:

The real novel idea is to do this and also nerf HP, because the reason it's "needed" is that it gives literally any coverage you want at a marginal-to-zero cost of relevant stats. Like, it just shouldn't exist as a move that can be literal any type. It's completely different from every other move, etc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would there be anything wrong with letting you chose the type for Hidden Power?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The real novel idea is to do this and also nerf HP, because the reason it's "needed" is that it gives literally any coverage you want at a marginal-to-zero cost of relevant stats. Like, it just shouldn't exist as a move that can be literal any type. It's completely different from every other move, etc

HP was nerfed already when it went from 70 BP to 60 BP.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nanigans posted:

HP was nerfed already when it went from 70 BP to 60 BP.

Except for the Chad Roserade, for which it was a buff

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would there be anything wrong with letting you chose the type for Hidden Power?

It should seriously just be an npc you talk to.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

did they ever add an HP fairy? they should do that

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It was like a month, month and a half after SuMo that Bank was patched in, right? Has there been any noise about what Home actually will be or when we might hear beyond "early 2020"?

You want to assume that they're done with SwSh by now and should be able to give some basic info about it (maybe they're afraid of cannibalizing hype) given how frequently they've brought it up as a defense of dexit

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you could manipulate Hidden Power it wouldn't be very hidden, now would it?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ROFL Octopus posted:

Except for the Chad Roserade, for which it was a buff

Don't forget Persian! :downs:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

It was like a month, month and a half after SuMo that Bank was patched in, right? Has there been any noise about what Home actually will be or when we might hear beyond "early 2020"?

You want to assume that they're done with SwSh by now and should be able to give some basic info about it (maybe they're afraid of cannibalizing hype) given how frequently they've brought it up as a defense of dexit

Yeah, I'm kind of curious to know what I would need to do to get some old mons out of my old carts.

How do you currently get them into Bank?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

GoodBee posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of curious to know what I would need to do to get some old mons out of my old carts.

How do you currently get them into Bank?

You download and buy the Bank app from the 3DS Shop and then it interacts with either the Pokemon cart or downloaded file on your 3DS and you...move them around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Framboise posted:

I want that cotton-candy-looking psychic-fairy type Pokemon. I need it.

Er, which one? There's two, the hat witch and pastel goth Rapidash.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Araxxor posted:

Technical Records have a different set of moves from TMs. They're our replacements for Move Tutors and just consolidated into a singular system instead of spreading them out at various locations. You buy them all with a special type of currency from the Wild Area. Meaning that BP can be spent on other stuff instead of being burned on them.

Beats hunting for heart scales and trekking across the the region for the right move tutor.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Nanigans posted:

You download and buy the Bank app from the 3DS Shop and then it interacts with either the Pokemon cart or downloaded file on your 3DS and you...move them around.

Can I move them from DS games to the bank? Do I need to be at a certain point in the game?

If I can just download an app, pop in each old cart and get my old pokemon, that sounds good.

Has it been confirmed that you will only be able to pokemon from Bank and Switch to Home? Or is it possible that 3DS will be able to move pokemon to home.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
The 5th gen games, Black, White, Black 2, White 2, can transfer the contents of Box 1 of the PC to Bank via a separate app, PokeTransporter. That app comes with Bank.

4th gen games cannot interface with Bank or Transporter, only 5th gen, and only the first box of the PC.

As we know it now, Bank -> Home is a one-way transfer, as is Let's Go -> Home and Go -> Home. Home and SwSh have two way transfer capability but only for those that are in SwSh. There is no way (that we know of) to transfer directly from 3DS games to Home.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

GoodBee posted:

Can I move them from DS games to the bank? Do I need to be at a certain point in the game?

If I can just download an app, pop in each old cart and get my old pokemon, that sounds good.

Has it been confirmed that you will only be able to pokemon from Bank and Switch to Home? Or is it possible that 3DS will be able to move pokemon to home.

The Bank is made in such pisspoor way that, if you have a Gen V cart in it won't recognize the save file. You can solve this by downloading the free Pokemon Transporter... but get this, it can only be downloaded from within Bank, which you won't be able to open, unless you have a gen VI or VII game on your 3DS.

Once that's done though that's it, put them on Transporter, then open up Bank. Make sure you move the receiving box around because if you don't it'll just overwrite those pokemon when the next upload happens.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oyster posted:

The 5th gen games, Black, White, Black 2, White 2, can transfer the contents of Box 1 of the PC to Bank via a separate app, PokeTransporter. That app comes with Bank.

4th gen games cannot interface with Bank or Transporter, only 5th gen, and only the first box of the PC.

As we know it now, Bank -> Home is a one-way transfer, as is Let's Go -> Home and Go -> Home. Home and SwSh have two way transfer capability but only for those that are in SwSh. There is no way (that we know of) to transfer directly from 3DS games to Home.
For slightly more info, you can do 3rd gen -> 4th gen by putting the GBA cart and the DS cart in the two slots of a DS (via Pal Park), then 4th -> 5th with two DSes (via uh... that building where you do the stupid slingshot minigame, I don't remember the name), and then 5th directly to Bank (one PC box at a time) via Poke Transporter, and 6th has native Bank integration.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Araxxor posted:

This makes perfect sense. I would still rather have them just be expensive TMs but Move Tutors gonna Move Tutor. At least I don't have to plink away at rocks underground to mine enough poo poo to trade for Ice Beam.

And honestly, you can't really appreciate Ice Beam until you've learned it from the original vinyl

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That sounds like significantly more effort. I guess I'll just play Shield and see if I still care about Pokemon when I'm done.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Wait, you can change IVs too?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Bee posted:

This game could be a test run for that. For all we know, they wanted one last traditional style game with a prototype of their new idea baked into it, and then the next follow up would go all in on the Wild Area for a true series evolution.

But unfortunately I kinda doubt it.

They're going to walk it back and do something completely different next gen.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Wait, you can change IVs too?

Sort of.

You can use Silver bottle caps to select an IV to set to 31 during battle, or a Gold bottle cap (much more rare) to set ALL IVs to 31 in battle.

Outside of battle, the IVs stay the same, but...effectively, yes, bottle caps let you max out IVs for all practical purposes.

For the purposes of something like Trick Room or minimizing confusion damage where you would actually want an IV to be 0 or for Hidden Power where you want IVs to be something specific, bottle caps don't really work. But it's better than breeding over and over hoping for perfect IVs...unless you know someone with access to hacking software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Er, which one? There's two, the hat witch and pastel goth Rapidash.

b o t h

I am so getting Shield version. Psychic/Fairy is easily my favorite type combo since they're my favorite types.