Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
FARL + 3 locomotives + 20 wagons + four locomotives and 12 of the wagons are just filled with concrete.

Only peasants drive over dirty grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

M_Gargantua posted:

2-4 is gods one true locomotive-cargo arrangement :colbert:

With Nuclear Locomotives that's 1-4 :eng101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
just build a single train that is long enough to cover the entire track at all times. eventually the superior throughput will compensate for all latency issues

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

2-4 is gods one true locomotive-cargo arrangement :colbert:

I tend to start out with 1-2, then moving to 1-4-1 since that lets me reuse the unloading stations between the train types. (That's 1-4-1 with both locomotives pointing the same direction.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
4-4-0 is the best arrangement :colbert:

:v:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

scaevola posted:

I tend to start out with 1-2, then moving to 1-4-1 since that lets me reuse the unloading stations between the train types. (That's 1-4-1 with both locomotives pointing the same direction.)

This is what I do for the same reason. You can further expand this by just adding more 1-4-1 groupings every time you need larger trains, to the point where I've had 1-4-2-4-2-4-2-4-1s before. Bonus because you can reuse unloading/fueling blueprints for each 1-4-1 segment. Main thing is to just make sure the locomotives are always in the same spot.

Why would you mix trains of different lengths anyway? Main reason is cargo size relative to recipe requirements - you want your ore trains moving tons and tons around, so I go with the 4 or 8 car trains for those. If outposting production, I'll move plates around in 4 car trains, and sometimes green chips and gears. The 2 car trains are mostly for later intermediate products like red chips. Oil tankers are usually 1-1 because most of the time is spent loading at the outpost.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Get in at the ground floor on an exciting lovely mod idea!

I don't like the unsightly damage to the forest near my base, so I am planning a mod to add two capsules.

Fertiliser capsules that "heal" trees by undoing one level of leaf loss for each tree in their area of effect
Tree-planting capsules that are kind of like a cluster grenade but instead of explosions each secondary impact create a near-dead tree
Treenade submunitions will only successfully plant if they land on unpaved tiles and aren't colliding with a building or existing tree.

I want to keep the new items to a minimum so instead of adding intermediate ingredients I'm thinking the fertiliser capsule would be made in a chemical plant from explosives, steam, stone and maybe also coal. The treenade would be made of fertiliser capsules and wood.

I could enforce severe cooldowns by giving the new trees less than full health and lowering tree health when re-leafing them, and only letting fertiliser move trees up a level when they're at full health.

Thoughts?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I use 1-2 to start, and then expand to 1-4-1 so I don’t have to redo my stations (and also because I like the looks of it, I guess). But yeah, LTN is the real way to go, you can even mix and match train sizes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GotLag posted:

Thoughts?

You monster.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Truga posted:

4-4-0 is the best arrangement :colbert:

:v:

4-8-8-4

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

GotLag posted:

I don't like the unsightly damage to the forest near my base, so I am planning a mod to add two capsules.

Fertiliser capsules that "heal" trees by undoing one level of leaf loss for each tree in their area of effect
Tree-planting capsules that are kind of like a cluster grenade but instead of explosions each secondary impact create a near-dead tree
Treenade submunitions will only successfully plant if they land on unpaved tiles and aren't colliding with a building or existing tree.

I want to keep the new items to a minimum so instead of adding intermediate ingredients I'm thinking the fertiliser capsule would be made in a chemical plant from explosives, steam, stone and maybe also coal. The treenade would be made of fertiliser capsules and wood.

I could enforce severe cooldowns by giving the new trees less than full health and lowering tree health when re-leafing them, and only letting fertiliser move trees up a level when they're at full health.

Thoughts?

I'd like repair capsules for trees. Wanna point out tho that bio industries already has tree-planting rockets with fertilizer mechanics and growing. :)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I know there are a bunch of harvesting and planting mods.

I just want to repair my polluted forests and maybe expand them a little without having to jump through a series of tech/processing hoops.

Also most tree-growing/sapling mods have abysmal art.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bio Industries actually improved a lot on the graphics recently, and the tech needed to actually shoot seed rockets is very easily reached. :)

If you don't like it that's your choice of course, just recommending to look a second time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Get in on the ground floor of my mod idea instead:
Enterprise Factorio, which integrates serviceNow

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/b67isk/anyone_else_use_a_workflow_automation_system_like/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just like the idea of having to get on a call with the change advisory board, and then get your change denied because you didn't assign a ctask to the storage team, which is required when you use steel chests.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just like the idea of having to get on a call with the change advisory board, and then get your change denied because you didn't assign a ctask to the storage team, which is required when you use steel chests.

We had an HOA-like architecture review board last time I played Minecraft, that kind of thing is honestly a great way to run a multiplayer server with friends that want to coöperate and are huge nerds.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Thoughts?

I mean I am a player who deliberately deforests and paves the world, so I am not your target audience.

But for fertilizer capsules I'd like the recipe to be defender capsules + coal + wood. Since defender capsules are cheap but nobody ever uses them.
And for Tree planting capsules I'd go with the something similar to the cluster grenade, eg 2 explosives, a fertilizer capsule, and 5 wood.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Make biters drop an object on death.

Make that object the fertilizer. :unsmigghh:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Breetai posted:

Make biters drop an object on death.

Make that object the fertilizer. :unsmigghh:

That's been done. Youki Industries has had bio stuff for years that lets you grow things from ground up bugs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cocoa Crispies posted:

We had an HOA-like architecture review board last time I played Minecraft, that kind of thing is honestly a great way to run a multiplayer server with friends that want to coöperate and are huge nerds.

This idea is kind of silly, but I agree, it'd enable some truly enormous multiplayer games in Factorio.

I also like the idea of using logic signals that can create incidents, whether it be for low power, resource overflow/shortage or biters.

I also like the idea of someone who has "played" hundreds of hours of Factorio, but hasn't actually ever installed the game, he just does incident SLA breach analysis.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I also like the idea of someone who has "played" hundreds of hours of Factorio, but hasn't actually ever installed the game, he just does incident SLA breach analysis.

Ah, EVE Online organizational gameplay...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Slashrat posted:

Ah, EVE Online organizational gameplay...

Yeah, that's kind of touching why I don't play Eve anymore and have slowed down quite a bit on Factorio: too much like real life.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I guess the difference is super nerd level of optimisation and planning is optional in factorio and the game is still fun without it.

Aethetics is more important then optimization anyway and you'll never convince me otherwise :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Aesthetics is just one of the many potential, differently-weighted priorities you can optimize for. :getin:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My aesthetic is absolutely multi-planetary brutalism.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Refoliant released

Haven't yet added the tree-planting capsules, trying to find a way to get random tree results from the capsule without resorting to implementing the entire logic in lua run-time scripting.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GotLag posted:

Refoliant released

Haven't yet added the tree-planting capsules, trying to find a way to get random tree results from the capsule without resorting to implementing the entire logic in lua run-time scripting.

So just-woke-up-ideas-person suggestion, but would it be possible for each submunition from the cluster grenade explosion create a different uniform tree sprite, letting you plant several slightly nonconcentric circles of lower-density forest?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's Factorio Friday Facts.

This one's about changing the color of stuff and preparing for 1.0

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Chakan posted:

It's Factorio Friday Facts.

This one's about changing the color of stuff and preparing for 1.0

These guys are awesome. How many devs would be mod-friendly enough to include a script to update the colors of custom art in mods when they re-do their own colors?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That night shot looks amazing. Fantastic use of colour.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

They're making Factorio look really, really nice! I'm excited for the 1.0 release.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Me too. I did a full playthrough when .17 was released. When 1.0 drops I think it's time to do a mod game. Angel Bob is the most popular one? I don't think i have it in me to play Seablock.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Me too. I did a full playthrough when .17 was released. When 1.0 drops I think it's time to do a mod game. Angel Bob is the most popular one? I don't think i have it in me to play Seablock.

Seablock is easier than angelbob imo. It's awesome, do it!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Take my advice, if you're going to try AngelBob's for the first time, turn down/off biters. You're a lot slower to get your military tech going than the normal biter development expects.

If you know what you're doing with the mod I'm sure you can keep up fine, but when you're still exploring your options like I was you're probably going to get overwhelmed while you don't have the flexibility to get adequate defences built quickly.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 9, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for designing a oil industry that doesn't grind to a halt when it gets full of one of the three raw oil products? I just want to design something i ideally never have to touch again. Open to mods fixing it too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Calculate how much heavy oil your refineries can produce per second. Build enough chemical plants to crack it all to light oil. Put a pump in between the tank your heavy oil goes to and the chemical plants. Wire to the tank. Set it to enable if heavy oil > 24k. Do the same with light oil > petroleum gas cracking.

If you are overrunning on petroleum gas, something is seriously wrong with your factory.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Any tips for designing a oil industry that doesn't grind to a halt when it gets full of one of the three raw oil products? I just want to design something i ideally never have to touch again. Open to mods fixing it too.

You can't really. The closest you can get is sinking the different flavors of oil somewhere that gets used reliably, such as solid fuel routed to steam generators. This usually backfires once you get nuclear or big solar online, so also route it to fuel trains (and prefer it to coal for fueling trains).

You can use a pump wired to a tank to only feed the solid fuel plants if you have over X amount of refined oil in your holding tank, but it's the standard story of building a more effective footgun for your future self.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

When all else fails, stock up on flamethrower ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
First:

Make lubricant as fast as possible

Make solid fuel from light.

Make plastic and sulfer from petrol.

Second:

Tank + Pump controlled by an RS Latch combinator setup

If you have too much heavy crack it to light

If you have too much light crack it to petrol

If you still have too much of either then turn it into solid fuel

Third:

If you somehow have to much solid fuel turn it into rocket fuel

If your full up on rocket fuel start burning the solid in burners directly

At this part your so far down the chain that you should just be consuming more plastic in the first place.