Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lemon posted:

Thanks for the advice Fuzzysocksucker, but things have taken a bit of a turn for the worse. I had just ticked over 1000 prestige needed for the forced vassalization and was giving it a few more months to build up my troops just to make sure; then I died from Smallpox.

My new guy has good stats and a genius wife, all my vassals are happy and I can command just about the same amount of troops, but I've got no prestige. I'm thinking now I might need to build up a bit more and try to take down Jorvik first...

Are you using the Jade Dragon CBs to expand? Those are really, really expensive and there's almost always a cheaper way to get the job done. See if there's a claimant for the title you're looking to vassalize, invite them to your court, give them a barony somewhere, and then press their claim for the duchy in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Are you using the Jade Dragon CBs to expand? Those are really, really expensive and there's almost always a cheaper way to get the job done. See if there's a claimant for the title you're looking to vassalize, invite them to your court, give them a barony somewhere, and then press their claim for the duchy in question.

poo poo, I forgot about doing it that way. Turned out I had a bishop with a claim on the duchy, so I pressed that and got Mercia. Luckily, my Spymaster (for reasons of his own) fabricated some evidence that this bishop was a traitor so I was able to slap him in jail and revoke his title for minimal tyranny and I just need to sort out a few vassals being the wrong government type now, so things are looking up!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Coolguye posted:

i always forget this exists, good call

It's not perfect, I'll admit. In my current game as the Abbadids I have to be careful about handing out duchy-level titles and lower because those default to Ang-Cog succession, and in one instance a son I didn't want to succeed me surged up the succession order when he inherited a bunch of territory and not the daughter I was trying to set up. I was able to fix it (for now at least), but it's something to bear in mind.

EDIT: Thanks to my current game, I'm really looking forward to the consolidating of temple vassals and baronies in CK3. Having to stop at least once a year to find a new Wali or Iman is getting to be a drag.

EDIT2: I just realized something: I've never seen a woman in my dynasty get the Decadent trait.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 5, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Just when you thought Jewish HRE couldn't be topped:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Lemon posted:

I need some advice here. This is the current situation for me:

I'm the King of Wessex (as a created kingdom, not the petty kingdom). I've got 3K troops and no allies. $537 in the bank with $11.75 coming in per month.

Mercia has 2K troops and are allied with the Karling-run Kingdom of Lotharinga, who have 1.2K troops and 4 boats.

Yorvik has 4K troops and no allies.

Irland has 4.7K troops and 5.7K potential vassal ally troops.

I have my one daughter betrothed to a Prince of the Byzantine Empire which had resulted in a non-agression pact, but that's disappeared. From what I can see, the family in charge of the B.E has changed and this dude is no longer in line to be in charge of poo poo. I've got 1 niece and 3 nephews who are all children and not betrothed. I've got a single son who is almost of age as my heir (I had another one who vanished without a trace at age 4, from what I hear this is a sign of devil worshippers?).

My plan so far is:
Break the betrothal of my daughter and marry her off to someone else for an alliance. Try to arrange betrothals for my nieces and nephews.
Force vassalization of Mercia (they won't accept it as an offer). I think I have enough troops plus money for mercenaries to take them down even if they call in Lotharinga.
Once I've vassalized Mercia and smoothed things over there along with gaining some allies, I should have enough power to take on one of the Viking kingdoms.
Yorvik seem to be the best target, but I don't want to Holy War them because then other Pagans might join in (Irland is still Pagan as well).

Is this the best plan of action? Would anyone do it differently? Also, what's the best way for me to take out Yorvik without the Holy War CB? If I have a claim on one of the counties in Mercia, can I force vassalize them without the prestige hit?

This is where I make mistakes. If I could revoke titles, personally, I'd have built a city, looked at their incumbent buddies, killed off the ties if they exist if possible. If that worked. Pulled over a wessex chap who has beef and given him a city somewhere not close by in my desmense thinking I'm clever. Then I'd have pressed his claim. But then he'd have just gone independent of me, right? It has and hasn't worked for me before, which makes me think there is a "no, I'm a wanker" hidden stat that makes them forget all ties and aid and just hope for the best.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Finally got the Birthright achievement, though it took a lot of save scumming and a tiny bit of memory editing to get around inheritance bullshit. I lucked out and got the immortality to chain to fire on my starter character, the Shia count of Tinmallal (by then worked up to Sultan of Maghreb). With immortality I could theoretically keep my realm in motion long enough for the rare event to fire. With Cheat Engine I injected code that would prevent me from picking up undesirable traits from being a member of the Satanists, like genetic defects and Arbitrary, but allowing through traits that would reduce the MTTH of the Demon Child event. I lucked out super hard when I was granted the mission to Unholy Impregnate someone, just before the head of the Satanists died and I would be unable to get new missions (because I had become the head with his passing.) Turns out when you use Unholy Impregnation it doesn't matter who the woman is married to, the child will always be fatherless and of her dynasty, so I had to savescum to get my granddaughter into the society and impregnate her in order for the demonspawn to be my own dynasty, but because he is not patrilinearly descended from me he is completely ineligible to inherit under Iqta inheritance law. This is where the memory editing came in. I had already mapped out enough structure formats to allow me to change the parents of any given character, so I changed the demon spawn to have me as a father (instead of nobody) and allow him to inherit normally upon being granted titles. One suicide later and all I had to do was wait to hit 16 and boom, Birthright achievement at long-loving-last.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Neurion posted:

Finally got the Birthright achievement, though it took a lot of save scumming and a tiny bit of memory editing to get around inheritance bullshit. I lucked out and got the immortality to chain to fire on my starter character, the Shia count of Tinmallal (by then worked up to Sultan of Maghreb). With immortality I could theoretically keep my realm in motion long enough for the rare event to fire. With Cheat Engine I injected code that would prevent me from picking up undesirable traits from being a member of the Satanists, like genetic defects and Arbitrary, but allowing through traits that would reduce the MTTH of the Demon Child event. I lucked out super hard when I was granted the mission to Unholy Impregnate someone, just before the head of the Satanists died and I would be unable to get new missions (because I had become the head with his passing.) Turns out when you use Unholy Impregnation it doesn't matter who the woman is married to, the child will always be fatherless and of her dynasty, so I had to savescum to get my granddaughter into the society and impregnate her in order for the demonspawn to be my own dynasty, but because he is not patrilinearly descended from me he is completely ineligible to inherit under Iqta inheritance law. This is where the memory editing came in. I had already mapped out enough structure formats to allow me to change the parents of any given character, so I changed the demon spawn to have me as a father (instead of nobody) and allow him to inherit normally upon being granted titles. One suicide later and all I had to do was wait to hit 16 and boom, Birthright achievement at long-loving-last.

drat, how long did all that take you? ...especially since I mean, if you really wanted to get the achievement no matter the cost, I'm sure you could've just used that goon-made Steam Achievement Manager tool! (assuming it still works) :v:

It's pretty unfortunate though, since I've played the game for 600hrs and I'm yet to see the the demonspawn event chain. I wouldn't mind having a chance to play as the devil! Heh, especially if you can try and repent and join a monastic order! :D Speaking of which, the demonspawn starts with the 'possessed' trait, right? What happens if you get that random event where a priest offers to beat the demon spirit out of you? Does the demonspawn simply become a normal person again, or? (Assuming the priest succeeds anyway, seeing as it's a random chance)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Maxing out your capital's hospital before the Bubonic Plague hit feels like a trap move. You're not going to stop your capital from getting afflicted, it just happens later than the surrounding regions. Which means the plague clears out later than everyone else. So while every other realm is starting to put their poo poo back together, you (along with your councilors and commanders) are stuck in the capital as though you were doing some macabre Netflix binge.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
75% disease resist is steel and will stop the plague cold. And even short of that, when it does hit, you will see much less depopulation than you otherwise would.

Hospital building is very much not a trap, but it is also very much something that should wait until you have lots and lots of extra money lying around.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah if anything the hospital is way too strong, but it is an enormous investment so maybe that's how its balanced. But once its maxed and you have all supplementary buildings your capital is just immune to disease.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It always felt strange to me that apart from the initial investment hospitals are so costly. You can build a whole town instead. It's also thematically strange that you build huge castles or towns but also freaking hospitals, it's something your steward's secretary should decide on. But I guess that what happens when devs decide that whole expansion should concentrate on plague, so plague gets as much content as Republics or Nomads, but everyone gets to deal with it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SirPhoebos posted:

Maxing out your capital's hospital before the Bubonic Plague hit feels like a trap move. You're not going to stop your capital from getting afflicted, it just happens later than the surrounding regions. Which means the plague clears out later than everyone else. So while every other realm is starting to put their poo poo back together, you (along with your councilors and commanders) are stuck in the capital as though you were doing some macabre Netflix binge.

This

Coolguye posted:

75% disease resist is steel and will stop the plague cold. And even short of that, when it does hit, you will see much less depopulation than you otherwise would.

Hospital building is very much not a trap, but it is also very much something that should wait until you have lots and lots of extra money lying around.

Not this

I play with my partner looking over my shoulder and she always wants to max out hospitals. Had stacks of crusade cash so we did - plague still ran over Dublin and killed my awesome king, just later than anyone else.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I had maxed out or high-level hospitals in a bunch of my counties and the plague largely avoided me and went to my lovely vassals counties instead. I was kind of disappointed actually, I always like it when the plague comes around. Obviously building hospitals aren't a guarantee of anything, but they definitely help a lot.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Another week, another dev diary.

So the map's a little bigger, going as far as the eastern border of Tibet, and sub-saharan Africa is expanded as far as the Nigerian coast. Things are more granular now, with baronies on the map within their respective counties. Baronies also can't leave a county, so no more of those headaches where a single holding belongs to a different realm, thank goodness.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wyld Karde posted:

Another week, another dev diary.

So the map's a little bigger, going as far as the eastern border of Tibet, and sub-saharan Africa is expanded as far as the Nigerian coast. Things are more granular now, with baronies on the map within their respective counties. Baronies also can't leave a county, so no more of those headaches where a single holding belongs to a different realm, thank goodness.

So wait, do armies move through baronies rather than counties?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I wonder what this means for things Holy Orders and Patriarchs.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

canepazzo posted:

So wait, do armies move through baronies rather than counties?

Yes.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Wyld Karde posted:

Baronies also can't leave a county, so no more of those headaches where a single holding belongs to a different realm, thank goodness.
YESSSS

GOTY 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh yeah.

I remember on my zoroastrian game, when trying to become the Saoshyant, what a hell it was. You have to rule over a whole lot of provinces (all Persia), but they have to be 100% controlled, so they cant have even 1 barony/city/temple independent or belonging to a non-vassal

I had to first hunt on the map all these small holdings, then try to find a way to bring them in, by conquest, diplomacy or whatever. There was a lot of them, since is so easy to lose control of a barony and also sometimes for some reason or another you dont get all holdings from a county you conquer in war. I ended up giving up doing it properly and just used the console

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if the ol' strategy of handing a barony to a claimant to press their claim will still work.

Hope springs eternal that a later update may make China available, but that still would probably involve almost doubling the size of the map.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, now that CK3 has been announced, does that mean it is likely further development of CK2 will stop?

Thinking of jumping in now but if some DLC or a new patch is about to be released, I might hold off for a bit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kalenden posted:

So, now that CK3 has been announced, does that mean it is likely further development of CK2 will stop?

Thinking of jumping in now but if some DLC or a new patch is about to be released, I might hold off for a bit.

i wouldn't expect anything more than bugfixes to ck2 at this point

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

quote:

Before you all go nuts about playable baronies: No. You cannot play as a Baron. The lowest playable rank will still be that of a Count. The emphasis will therefore be on the Counties rather than the individual Baronies. As such, Baronies exist with a few things in mind. For example, they can never leave a county. This means Counties stay the same over time, avoiding weird splits where a single barony goes independent or to another realm (reducing that hideous border-gore ever-so-slightly). The number of Baronies within a County is one factor that represents its wealth and how “good” it is. Another important factor is the terrain. A County with a lot of Desert will not be as beneficial as one with a lot of Farmlands for example.

This bit is interesting. It kind of reads like there will no longer be cases where a foreign power holds castles or cities (as republics are wont to do) in anothers territory, which, imo, is unrealistic for the time and a step backward. The line about number of baronies representing a counties wealth also seems like you won't be able to build new holdings, although I guess some could start "empty" and able to build in.

Kinda sad about independence not being available for barons, even though that would probably send the processing requirements through the roof as they get their own courts and foreign diplomacy options with everyone and poo poo. I always thought going right down to the baron level and working up to emperor would be awesome.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kalenden posted:

I wouldn’t let this stop you as CK3 won’t be out till next year and won’t have a bunch of the content that CK2 has for ages. I only properly got into CK2 a few months ago and I’m not worried.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

This bit is interesting. It kind of reads like there will no longer be cases where a foreign power holds castles or cities (as republics are wont to do) in anothers territory, which, imo, is unrealistic for the time and a step backward.

It may be unrealistic, but it's also a lot more playable. I won't particularly miss hunting down Holy Order holdings or dealing with inheritance disputes that ought to be beneath my notice.

As for exclaves and whatnot, I'm sure they'll still exist - just not below a County level.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kalenden posted:

Probably. And it'll probably be a while after release before CK3 is actually playable just going off PDox history.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This bit is interesting. It kind of reads like there will no longer be cases where a foreign power holds castles or cities (as republics are wont to do) in anothers territory, which, imo, is unrealistic for the time and a step backward. The line about number of baronies representing a counties wealth also seems like you won't be able to build new holdings, although I guess some could start "empty" and able to build in.

They said that lots of counties start with empty baronies, and you can even see it on the map.

Back in CK2, there was no real practical way to deal with independent or exclave baronies. If you move heaven and earth to take a county from a massive empire, you've got to do it all over again for a wee little castle. Historically, there was a lot of ambiguity with this sort of thing or even overlapping allegiances, but I guess they decided that would be too complicated to do.

I hope they include Fraxinet though. It'd really make Italy seem more complicated, maybe even more permeable to overseas invaders.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

They said that lots of counties start with empty baronies, and you can even see it on the map.

Back in CK2, there was no real practical way to deal with independent or exclave baronies. If you move heaven and earth to take a county from a massive empire, you've got to do it all over again for a wee little castle. Historically, there was a lot of ambiguity with this sort of thing or even overlapping allegiances, but I guess they decided that would be too complicated to do.

I hope they include Fraxinet though. It'd really make Italy seem more complicated, maybe even more permeable to overseas invaders.

The main issue is just that it's often a pain to find them since there's no map mode or anything to highlight "contested" counties - you just have to manually scroll around and try to find the little icons that indicate when a barony is independent. That honestly seems like it would be less of an issue in CK3 with the baronies themselves being on the map since presumably they would just show up in a different colour, although I guess fundamentally they just didn't want players to have to deal with the barony level in a lot of detail.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I won't miss it. It was kinda cool as a king to sometimes inherit a barony holding in a foreign country, but being on the other end of that deal as a human player seems to frustrate progress in more of a gamey way, rather than a suspended-disbelief diplomatic one.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

That's exactly how it is, they confirm it in the thread.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

unrealistic for the time and a step backward.

It is a totally reasonable concession to gameplay for a game designed to be played ironman. If they wanted to do something cool with it, like having cultures merge or proto-nationalism develop that would be cool. But as it stands, they just sit there and suck.

Having 100% control at the county level, so churches and baronies can belong to anyone, would be better. Even "counties held by your religion head within your territory count as yours for the purpose of achievements" would be fine. But that is not the way Paradox thinks. It's like Toady and DF. Let Paradox be Paradox.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Baronies being independent of the county is something that's cool conceptually, but generally didn't lead to fun so much as create annoying situations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I don't really understand what was the point of making baronies visible and perform as a separate entity if in the game logic they lose that separation.

But we'll see how it works. Now I wonder whether counts would ever actually hold a barony or will it always come with its own administrator while your count/duke/king/emperor holds a county.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

I don't really understand what was the point of making baronies visible and perform as a separate entity if in the game logic they lose that separation.

But we'll see how it works. Now I wonder whether counts would ever actually hold a barony or will it always come with its own administrator while your count/duke/king/emperor holds a county.

I think it's for war. You invade county X from the north, and you will siege the city first because that's the northern barony of county X. So you will not always have to siege the castle first, as is the case nearly every time you attack a feudal county now. You might also just be able to bypass castles entirely, which might be a big advantage for raiders.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I bet castles would work the same way as EU4 and Imperator forts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's nice to have a new computer. CK2 was the first game I loaded up on my new set up and over the years of playing with it I've gotten used to years taking two to three minutes to complete when running at the highest speed. I got the "Your wife is pregnant" event, clicked okay on it, and then the birth announcement immediately popped up.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

How on earth do you get 13k in debt? How much can you lose in a war?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lemur Crisis posted:

How on earth do you get 13k in debt? How much can you lose in a war?

I think monetary loss for a losing aggressor is tied to Realm size, rather than your gold balance

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

For players it's (reasonably) easy: there are a couple of events that will require you to shell out significant sums, as will a couple of misclicks in the various build menus. For NPCs… mercenaries perhaps (although they rarely accept not being paid for long enough to accumulate that kind of debt) and/or some obsession with building great works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope the map rework will mean that it's no longer easier to cross the Himalaya Mountains than the Pyrenees Mountains