Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

The closest thing I've played to a dictionary definition of a perfect game is Half-Life 2.

I think that depends on your definition of game.

I would say The Last of Us, but I don’t think that’s the best game I’ve played, strictly from a mechanics standpoint. The total package makes it my favorite game though.

I think Witcher 3 might be my dictionary definition of a perfect game. Probably the most hours I’ve ever put into a non-souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, mine shipped today, soz

:argh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I finally got my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos XD in from SRG after ordering it in, like August, and man this game is fun as hell. Just a lot of blowing poo poo up and then looking around for POWs I haven't blown up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

colachute posted:

I would say The Last of Us, but I don’t think that’s the best game I’ve played, strictly from a mechanics standpoint. The total package makes it my favorite game though.

I think Witcher 3 might be my dictionary definition of a perfect game. Probably the most hours I’ve ever put into a non-souls game.

Yeah. I was just thinking in terms of how "mainstream magazines" defined it. The Witcher 3 could fit that bill as well. It's all very subjective.

I got a lot of flak from people when I wrote my top 100 games of all-time article.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

punk rebel ecks posted:

The closest thing I've played to a dictionary definition of a perfect game is Half-Life 2.

Hell yes. Even HL1 though, I played that all the way through maybe 100 times. Also got into speedrunning and modding. Great game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

colachute posted:

Yeah, total package games are on another level imo, games like Starcraft, Uncharted 2, FF7, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Titanfall 2, Super Mario World, Soul Calibur, The Last of Us, The Orange Box, and MGS3 Subsistence. The effect of a total package game is this consumer nirvana where audience expectation is so carefully threaded by the developer's commitment, to the point of almost being undermined, that the end phenomenon feels like lighting in a bottle.

Mad Max Fury Road is a 'total package' movie, in that sense.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Perfect game for me is Journey. Flawless experience in all ways.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So I pose to this thread:

What are your top 5 :siren:FAVOURITE:siren: opening 1-2 hour segments in all of videogames? Like list 5 if you want to qualify with comments fine, they don't have to be in order.

I'm thinking of mine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pathologic 2 is number one by far. The opening sets the mood perfectly.

I'm getting off the train so I'll think of four more later

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Policenaut posted:

I finally got my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos XD in from SRG after ordering it in, like August, and man this game is fun as hell. Just a lot of blowing poo poo up and then looking around for POWs I haven't blown up.

I want a Metal Wolf Rising with writing from Kojima, actual gameplay development by Platinum, and From can design the multiplayer component.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Metal Gear Solid is seems to have a trend of amazing openings that switch to a worse version of the game.

Metal Gear Solid 2 with Snake on the ship seemed captivating compared to crybaby Raiden.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was great during the desert area but then decided to be more levels based and experimental with its design, and thus it peaked in the beginning.

Ground Zeroes was much better than anything in The Phantom Pain.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 6, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat Nioh's first mission :toot:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The Phantom Pain's opening is really good. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first hour of Mass Effect 2 is one of the most expertly paced openings to any video game ever made. Within the first 60 minutes you're caught up on everything that has happened in the story so far, all the major supporting characters, the central conflict, and Shepard's reasons for working with Cerberus. It flows smoothly from one combat beat to the next while still managing to devote time to exposition and develop the mysteries that will be answered over the course of the story. I've beaten ME2 at least 6-7 times and one of those reasons is because of its incredibly engaging first act.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

The first hour of Mass Effect 2 is one of the most expertly paced openings to any video game ever made. Within the first 60 minutes you're caught up on everything that has happened in the story so far, all the major supporting characters, the central conflict, and Shepard's reasons for working with Cerberus. It flows smoothly from one combat beat to the next while still managing to devote time to exposition and develop the mysteries that will be answered over the course of the story. I've beaten ME2 at least 6-7 times and one of those reasons is because of its incredibly engaging first act.

I always forget the back half of Eden Prime in ME1. It drags til you get to the citadel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What are your top 5 :siren:FAVOURITE:siren: opening 1-2 hour segments in all of videogames? Like list 5 if you want to qualify with comments fine, they don't have to be in order.

I'm thinking of mine.

Earthbound
Halo
Metal Gear Solid 2
Wind Waker
Pokemon Red & Blue

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Final Fantasy VII
Bloodborne
Deus Ex
Bioshock
Prey (2006) (this is less "first 1-2 hours" and more "first 10 minutes", but the very beginning has some of my favorite use of licensed music ever)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'm thinking of mine.

Awesome question.

Half-Life
I don't remember many other games being quite this atmospheric, particularly at the time. The intro to game world and the glimpse at the scope of what Black Mesa did was just superb and really drew me into the world. I don't think many people will argue that this intro and the incident are gold standard stuff for a first person game. Really makes you feel like BatFreeman.

Metal Gear Solid 3
The characterisation and setup here is mint. The opening sequence up to the Davy Crockett is the poo poo. You've got your protagonist laid low, betrayal, intrigue, hot CQC action, the loving boss... This might be my favourite opening game sequence ever. Comes complete with a Kojitroll which I appreciate a lot.

Halo
No bullshit Michael Bay opening done right. Just sticks out in my mind because at the time I was riding a wave of holy poo poo right through it. Really loud, really cool.

Control
So recent and not tested in memory yet, but the setup here is so good and it needs to be for the rest of the game not to fall apart. Fastest workplace promotion ever as well.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Really the best tutorial mission ever. Wind Waker same (I prefer Wind Waker tbh I loved that game).

Honourable mentions:

MGSV
If only the rest of the game followed through on this tremendous promise.

Resident Evil 4
Plop disc into GameCube; smash cut to me yelling what the gently caress is going on pissing my pants with fear and laughter. This game just kicks off it owns.

Grim Fandango
World building, characterisation, art, pacing, storytelling. This is just one of my favourite games and it sucked me in immediately. Don't eat the gazpacho.

FFXV
Lets be best friends forever.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m almost certain the closest example of a perfect game I’ve played is probably one of several 3D Mario titles.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tanker mission openings from best to worst

COD4
MGS2
Splinter Cell 1

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey remember the Medal of Honor games? Back in the PS2 era they were seriously marketed on their opening set pieces and no one seemed to care about what was after them. Just WHOA THIS PEARL HARBOR STAGE IS COOL and serious articles about asking WW2 veterans if the opening to Frontline was accurate to real life.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Policenaut posted:

Hey remember the Medal of Honor games? Back in the PS2 era they were seriously marketed on their opening set pieces and no one seemed to care about what was after them. Just WHOA THIS PEARL HARBOR STAGE IS COOL and serious articles about asking WW2 veterans if the opening to Frontline was accurate to real life.

Thanks for reminding me that the original Call of Duty d day landing left me shaky. Add that to my pile.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

JBP posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the original Call of Duty d day landing left me shaky. Add that to my pile.

I was just thinking about this. It was very good.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bust Rodd posted:

A grilled cheese sandwich and a hot bowl of tomato soup with some saltines is a 10/10 perfect meal.

This is correct but without the grilled cheese and crackers I'm not touching a bowl of tomato soup.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

This is correct but without the grilled cheese and crackers I'm not touching a bowl of tomato soup.

wtf...I make a tomato soup that I'd happily chug. IMO the trick is to make a really dark, strong roux. Get as close as you can to burning it without actually burning it, and the resulting soup will have incredible flavor.

In other video game news, I'll be seeing acclaimed video game The Lighthouse this evening based on thread recommendation. Going in totally blind, love when I get to do that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ethanol posted:

tanker mission openings from best to worst

COD4
MGS2
Splinter Cell 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYzg8TO2WLk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’ll sit down and think of 4 others later but I just want to post the opening sequence of God of War 3, which I remember being positively mindblowing at the time and much better than whichever Clash of the Titans installment was competing with it in theaters.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dictionary definition of perfect: resident evil 2 remake

Best opening level has got to be metal gear rising. It’s bananas from start to finish

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I really loved the openings of Prey (the newer one) and GoW (2018).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You know we all sometimes talk about the really good FPS games on PS4?
DOOM, Wolfenstein:TNO, Titanfall 2 etc?

I urge anyone who liked those games, particularly Titanfall 2, to try CoD: Infinite Warfare.

I've been playing it the last few nights and it's excellent. Ignore the CoD in the title, it has basically nothing to do with that series. I guess Infinity Ward has enough clout with Activision to make any game they wanted.

I got it secondhand for €8 and it was totally worth it.
One of the best looking and sounding games on the PS4 for sure. The combat is really varied. The locations look excellent.

Highly recommended!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A Link to the Past
I love the simple and effective rescue on a dark and stormy night. The whole sequence between waking up to Zelda disappearing is tense and atmospheric and perfectly paced. I'm also including the story introduction at the very beginning as well. Years later the prologue of Fellowship of the Rings in theatres reminded me of the LttP's opening.

I don't know if other game openings have ever stuck with me as much but I've replayed it so many times it's also just partly memory. I will echo exquisite tea in liking the beginning of ME2. Part of that was just being blown away at how much of a step up from the first game felt (that I literally finished days earlier because I went through the entire trilogy).

Spider-Man had a great opening, too. A cool opening cinematic that blends seamlessly into giving the player their first control of the character in mid-air to start webswinging towards a big battle.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
This is a weird thing on the PS4 but I've played through about half of the new Modern Warfare campaign and don't actually have any trophies unlocking. It's happened in another game once before (A Way Out) where I actually completed the whole game and no trophies popped up. Anyone else see this kind of behaviour?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Another Nioh question: getting to the mission select screen unlocked a blacksmith and I have absolutely no idea what most of the options in here are for. When should I be worrying about this stuff?

E: Though now that I'm pretty sure I'm getting into this game I think I'll pop into the Nioh thread for future progress updates and questions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

Another Nioh question: getting to the mission select screen unlocked a blacksmith and I have absolutely no idea what most of the options in here are for. When should I be worrying about this stuff?

E: Though now that I'm pretty sure I'm getting into this game I think I'll pop into the Nioh thread for future progress updates and questions.

You can basically ignore it. You want Amrita for the time being so just turn all the excess poo poo into levels. Down the line the main thing you'll want is soul match so you can keep good items up to your level.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I'm thinking of mine.

I thought Oblivion made an insanely strong impression right at the start, by having you exit this super confined sewer section into a gorgeous open-world. Obviously other games had done it first, but I think it crossed a hump of visual fidelity for me that really floored me with the potential of that game.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Never replayed it since and I know the game isn't nearly as loved as 3 but I remember thinking the opening segment of Witcher 2 -- the very first few minutes where you do the subtitular assassining of kings was absolutely sick as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the bits of horror games before the monster turns up so the first couple of stages of AvP 2 or the first hour or so of Alien: Isolation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The first few hours of Halo were really amazing. The assault rifle was so satisfying and having a space ship shootout to that loving music then crashing on a beautiful ring world, agh.

Also getting acquainted with BotW was probably the most captivated I’ve been by a game ever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait to check back in in 13 hours and add Death Stranding to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the only truly perfect game is we love katamari, and it will never be equaled in any sense