Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

chitoryu12 posted:

Not just bias, but people can react very negatively to answers they don’t like or agree with. Actually giving solid reasons gives them what they feel is an excuse to fight and argue, and there’s no way for the company to really win. It sucks, but you have to treat everyone as if they have the potential to be the absolute worst person to protect yourself and your business.

Case in point, one graphic designer got fired after only a few weeks because she did good work but behaved extremely oddly and constantly annoyed her coworkers to the point where they were avoiding her within days of meeting her. When she got told that we weren’t going to keep her past that day (without any reason given), she spent an hour running through the halls demanding that everyone tell her what they thought was wrong with her and refusing to leave until the owners could personally come and tell her what she did to deserve being let go. It very nearly turned into a police situation before she could be convinced to leave.

We (software company) once interviewed a guy and were on the fence about him, so we gave him a coding exercise. He sent it back within a few days, and it was competent, not great, and we decided to pass.

He flew off the handle and started demanding that we give him the job because he'd put in all that work for us, and then went on to claim we owed him like $4000 for his time and expertise. In writing a response to a coding exercise. It went on for a week or two before he stopped harassing us; we thought we might have to get authorities involved.

I mean ... I get being frustrated, and I get feeling like you were maybe led on. But how do you think you're going to turn it around once it's gotten to the point where you're accusing the other party of acting in bad faith and making demands of them? You don't have a good working relationship after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Data Graham posted:

We (software company) once interviewed a guy and were on the fence about him, so we gave him a coding exercise. He sent it back within a few days, and it was competent, not great, and we decided to pass.

He flew off the handle and started demanding that we give him the job because he'd put in all that work for us, and then went on to claim we owed him like $4000 for his time and expertise. In writing a response to a coding exercise. It went on for a week or two before he stopped harassing us; we thought we might have to get authorities involved.

I mean ... I get being frustrated, and I get feeling like you were maybe led on. But how do you think you're going to turn it around once it's gotten to the point where you're accusing the other party of acting in bad faith and making demands of them? You don't have a good working relationship after that.

Why couldn't you ask him about 5 and 3 litre jars face to face like normal people?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
*takes 3 days to fizzbuzz* that'll be $4000 please

Assholes

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Like half of people who go in for a code interview can't write a fizzbuzz.

I continue to find that fact astonishing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Doomslayer is what the demons call him

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

this is far too powerful for a meme

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Data Graham posted:

We used to do kind of the opposite, where we'd interview someone and ask about the programming languages they were most familiar with, then give them a simple coding exercise in a language they didn't know, on the basis that anyone familiar with the fundamentals of programming should be able to knock up a simple program regardless.

We had a recruitment laptop set up with all the tools needed to complete the test and we ran it against ourselves - choose a language you don't know and you have x hours to google the gently caress out of the problem and crank out a program that met some pretty simple requirements.

HR killed it because of the number of complaints they received from applicants who got really mad about being asked to display general programming ability that was outside of what they learned at college.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Uhhhh it's always VERY clear who is actually gifted and talented and they, without exception, go quite far in life

It was a well-intended parenting strategy in 80s and 90s to smother your children in praise for how smart and advanced they were, and now a lot of children have anxiety over the fact that they squandered their (non-existent) gifts

Remember folks, whatever your current lot in life is, that's a function of how smart you are and how much money your parents had! (These are correlated too btw)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uhhhh it's always VERY clear who is actually gifted and talented and they, without exception, go quite far in life

It was a well-intended parenting strategy in 80s and 90s to smother your children in praise for how smart and advanced they were, and now a lot of children have anxiety over the fact that they squandered their (non-existent) gifts

Remember folks, whatever your current lot in life is, that's a function of how smart you are and how much money your parents had! (These are correlated too btw)

Look at how wrong this is lol

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

what of those incredibly gifted people who take their own lives?

you can find reasons to hate yourself on either side of that coin. one says "i had everything and lost it because i'm a failure masquerading as a success" and the other says "i was not born rich or smart so was doomed from the start."

both tie self-worth to the expectations of others, which is a very exhausting way to live.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

ok boomer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I mean I'm saying that narcissism and wealth disparity are Bad and that people should just do whatever they want without worrying about their "potential"

but I do own a home with a lawn so I gotta take that Ok Boomer on the chin

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I mean I'm saying that narcissism and wealth disparity are Bad and that people should just do whatever they want without worrying about their "potential"

this dude's real gifted and talented at digging himself into this hole, apparently

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
everybody who wasn't "gifted and talented" got all that poo poo too

e: okay not the crossword part

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You own a home with a lawn and you're posting on the internet about how millennials were coddled growing up, and about what people should do to be successful. If you're not more than 50 years old, you should be asking yourself how it has come to this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bike tory posted:

you're posting on the internet about how millennials were coddled growing up

In no way. I'm saying our parents hosed up our sense of fulfillment by giving us unrealistic expectations of ourselves.

bike tory posted:

you're posting on the internet about... what people should do to be successful

In no way. But I strongly believe that people born to wealth have an (unfair and unethical) advantage over people who weren't.

bike tory posted:

You own a home with a lawn ... If you're not more than 50 years old, you should be asking yourself how it has come to this.

Nepotism

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If any of you were really honestly gifted and talented, you would already have that dipshit on ignore lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FactsAreUseless posted:

this dude's real gifted and talented at digging himself into this hole, apparently

He's intensely bad and should be shunned and trust me I'm one to know

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Doomslayer is what the demons call him

Doomslayer isn't a name. It's a title. He isn't Doomslayer he is the Doomslayer.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He is also canonically a virgin

[makes ABSOLUTE sure my monitor is ON]

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Doomguy is defo not a virgin, he's all about rippin' and tearin' them guts.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

*rhythmic grunting noise from Doom 2*

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He is also canonically a virgin

[makes ABSOLUTE sure my monitor is ON]

That’s a mirror

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

But what if I'm not good at crossword puzzles?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've always interpreted the "Doomguy is canonically a virgin" thing as a wink-nudge joke/reference to Doomguy's original explicitly stated purpose of being a player avatar. Per Romero, "There was never a name for the DOOM marine because it's supposed to be YOU."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

LifeSunDeath posted:

MY RIPPIN AND TEARIN PAGER WENT OFF

https://youtu.be/9q5iIaP0M3c

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Shrapnig posted:

That’s a mirror

Explains why I had so much trouble opening that PDF

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was picked by my school to be given aptitude tests and chosen out of hundreds of kids in the district to become part of a gifted program from 4th-8th grade. My parents weren't really part of that process. It also didn't cost anything different from regular public school so it wasn't a matter of parents throwing money around to pretend their kid was a genius. They just had to decide if I was going to be part of the program, and then I started going to a different public school that had some teachers with a more advanced lesson plan.

Can confirm I did not go far in life, and the only change I'd make to this post

is I'd replace "Crossword" with "Sudoku."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You're retarded. Clearly not gifted.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You're retarded.

That is OUR word and you have no right saying it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Slurs are cool

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jamesman posted:

I was picked by my school to be given aptitude tests and chosen out of hundreds of kids in the district to become part of a gifted program from 4th-8th grade. My parents weren't really part of that process. It also didn't cost anything different from regular public school so it wasn't a matter of parents throwing money around to pretend their kid was a genius. They just had to decide if I was going to be part of the program, and then I started going to a different public school that had some teachers with a more advanced lesson plan.

Can confirm I did not go far in life, and the only change I'd make to this post

Doing good at spelling bee isn't the same as being a remarkable or gifted person. Millions of people get Straight A's, but there's only one Stephen Hawking, Michelle Obama, Steve Jobs, Oprah Winfrey, Beethoven, Aretha Franklin, etc

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sorry I'm used to the lol Trump thread where that word is not only used but encouraged.

Sorry. Leaving it up to shame myself for myself.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sorry I'm used to the lol Trump thread where that word is not only used but encouraged.

cant tell if pro-trump or anti-trump... both would be rampant with the word

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dungeon Ecology posted:

cant tell if pro-trump or anti-trump... both would be rampant with the word

Obsession is obsession, even if it's ironic. Trump's winning the popular vote in 2020 because of it!

(and that's bad, because Trump is bad)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Maybe it's presidents who should be required to code fizzbuzz to take office. Really makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The real fizzbuzz were the jobs we didn't get along the way