Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neo_Crimson posted:

Honestly, Thanksgiving could use a rebranding like Columbus day. So we could get a day off and gorge on turkey without whitewashing the deaths of Native Americans.

Black Friday needs to be erased from existence however.

Black Friday is basically eating up more and more of Thanksgiving anyway. I wonder did there’ll ever actually be some backlash or an ‘enough!’ moment about that.

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The_Doctor posted:

Black Friday is basically eating up more and more of Thanksgiving anyway. I wonder did there’ll ever actually be some backlash or an ‘enough!’ moment about that.

That ship sailed when people started eating Thanksgiving dinner earlier to accommodate stores opening on Thursday evening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cactrot posted:

That ship sailed when people started eating Thanksgiving dinner earlier to accommodate stores opening on Thursday evening.

Which always confused me because like my family always had "dinner" cooked by like 2 PM anyway because it takes awhile to serve a huge rear end family, clean up, do a massive dessert spread, and then send everyone home safely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Lindsay Graham said terrible poo poo about Trump and Trump backed Mitt Romney for his campaign. I think if Sessions is willing to eat enough poo poo he'd get Trump on board.

Trump would probably be a condescending prick about it and do rallies where he really made it clear Sessions "needed" him and owes him an apology. But its not like Trump cares about anything but his immediate personal celebration so I'm not that convinced he won't just pimp for Sessions no matter how ironic it looks.

That is kind of the skeleton key to Trump. The man will hold a grudge against you until his dying day, unless you drag yourself back to his feet and weep a mea culpa before him. He'll still be a petty rear end in a top hat five-year-old to you but at least you've proven your worth to him and that's enough for his... whatever Trump tends to express that approaches forgiveness.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I got your war on thanksgiving right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VssWj5DwTTw

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’d sooner start with Columbus Day which has absolutely zero redeeming qualities.

That would be stupid. If we go straight from Christmas to war on Columbus Day, the Right would attack Thanksgiving and cut our supply lines.

Also, my phone keeps correcting "war on X" to "eat on X", what does that say about me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Which always confused me because like my family always had "dinner" cooked by like 2 PM anyway because it takes awhile to serve a huge rear end family, clean up, do a massive dessert spread, and then send everyone home safely.

My family always had Sunday dinner at 3, I assume because traditionally the main meal was earlier before being delayed due to the advent of 9-5 work days.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1192236126322470912

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1192233343833776128

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1192236487166844928

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My state has laws against Black Friday bleeding over into Thanksgiving itself so that’s nice. But it still starts at midnight which is bullshit. It should start at 5 am on Friday no earlier.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

The_Doctor posted:

Is it?

For whom? people without internet? I feel like local news has to look pretty hard to find a "look at these savages" piece for quite a while. Would have thought black friday peaked in the late 90's.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Really, the problem with the cartels is that there's too many of them, right? There's too many hits. They can't get anything done.

Pick one, provide them with a bunch of fancy heaters, help them knock over all the other cartels. Then we take a percentage - our piece of the action - and nobody has to get shot up any more.

(please, please, please do not mention this within earshot of any Trump administration official)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Really, the problem with the cartels is that there's too many of them, right? There's too many hits. They can't get anything done.

Pick one, provide them with a bunch of fancy heaters, help them knock over all the other cartels. Then we take a percentage - our piece of the action - and nobody has to get shot up any more.

(please, please, please do not mention this within earshot of any Trump administration official)

This was literally American foreign policy in central and south american in the 1980s through early 90s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Doctor posted:

Edit:

This cat has a weird pompadour/cowlick thing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tacier posted:

Could we meaningfully destabilize or destroy the Mexican cartels even if we wanted to? I don't fully understand their operating structure, but they seem to be at least as well organized as ISIS and better armed. Of course I'd love to see them dismantled, but is that actually a feasible near-term outcome if the force of the US military was brought to bear on the problem?

yeah overnight by legalizing drugs (whether that's a good plan or not is another whole discussion though)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mr Interweb posted:

i....wha?

okay, ignoring how dumb that is and why it exists, doesn't that effectively mean beshear literally won't be able to do a drat thing, INCLUDING stop gerrymandering?

The KY state legislature only meets for 60 days once a year and 30 days every other year, with extra sessions needing to be called by the governor. By holding off signing and then vetoing a bill at the end of an assembly, the governor can essentially negate the law for a full year, or negotiate its passage in exchange for a special session; if it's an election year, the next assembly may lack the vote totals to override his veto.

It is an extremely, abominably stupid way to run a government.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

That is kind of the skeleton key to Trump. The man will hold a grudge against you until his dying day, unless you drag yourself back to his feet and weep a mea culpa before him. He'll still be a petty rear end in a top hat five-year-old to you but at least you've proven your worth to him and that's enough for his... whatever Trump tends to express that approaches forgiveness.

this but he also still holds the grudge and will bring it up constantly and if said lickspittle ever doesnt kiss rear end, than the grudge comes back times 1000.

STAC Goat posted:

I still love Thanksgiving to eat too much and drink beer and spend time with loved ones and ideally remind yourself and others to go out and do some decent stuff (ideally beyond the holiday).

I just like to poo poo on the Pilgrims and point out the lies and problems with the story of how great we were with our Native American buddies.

i am fine with thanksgiving as a vague "giving thanks" day and talking about how dumb and backwards and weird the puritans were. honestly i just prefer Christmas because of the music and colors and cheer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah overnight by legalizing drugs (whether that's a good plan or not is another whole discussion though)

I’ve read that the cartels have become so established within so many facets of Mexican society that while legalizing drugs up here in America would take a hit it wouldn’t necessarily be some crippling blow anymore.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:golfclap:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Christ I forgot all about blue cards. Is there any way to tell how many vacancies there were at the start of the new Congress on January 2015 when things ground to a permanent halt?

this is the thing we should be screaming at leahy for, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Slo-Tek posted:

Is it?

For whom? people without internet? I feel like local news has to look pretty hard to find a "look at these savages" piece for quite a while. Would have thought black friday peaked in the late 90's.

For the workers who are having to come in earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving itself because the stores are opening earlier on Thursdays rather than the Friday.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ryanhermens/status/1191558380642611201

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Haha he looks trashed in that pic already (not surprising)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Sometimes I can't tell if Lindsey Graham is just the most shameless liar, or just a complete loving idiot

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

I got your war on thanksgiving right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VssWj5DwTTw

Jesus Christ.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The papa johns in town has a huge sign on their front door about how they're independently owned and operated because of this idiot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve read that the cartels have become so established within so many facets of Mexican society that while legalizing drugs up here in America would take a hit it wouldn’t necessarily be some crippling blow anymore.

yeah. it might hurt some of their business and is probably a good thing, but it wouldnt destroy the cartels at this point. they would probably move onto other rackets and such.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Willo567 posted:

Sometimes I can't tell if Lindsey Graham is just the most shameless liar, or just a complete loving idiot

C. a perpetually drunk lying idiot

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Willo567 posted:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zwabu posted:

The Trump campaign is getting so much grift off rich people and foreigners funneling money his way it's both hilarious and sad that they still grift small time contributions off dumb chuds just because they can. If they actually wind up getting in any trouble because this is so easily proven I'll laugh. Sadly none of said chuds will probably ever even feel bad or pursue action over this.

It's like a group of doctors near me who got caught up in a huge fraud case. They were making tens of millions in the shady real estate aspect of their deal, but one of the guys still fraudulently billed medical insurance and Medicare for much smaller amounts, hundreds or a few thousand here and there, in ways that were easily proven to be fraudulent (like, the guy could be easily proven by documents like flight manifests etc. that he was other places than where he was supposedly providing medical services) and much more likely to result in an inquiry and successful prosecution than the really big money stuff.

But they guy had been doing that kind of smaller level fraud his whole career and it was just second nature to him, and I suppose he'd gotten away with it so long he just felt bulletproof, like no one was ever going to question any of it. So why stop even when making much more money off his real estate scam.

Just like Trump.

Dallas right?

There was an anesthesiologist that billed for his own surgery. Like he was getting operated on, and he said he was the doc giving the anesthesia.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

OAquinas posted:

https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1192187600452407298

"No no no, we really don't mean to prohibit free speech. Why would you get that idea?"

"Dear football fans, I heard you would like some free money? Here's a great class action opportunity that would be paid for by Alabama tax payers."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RuanGacho posted:

The papa johns in town has a huge sign on their front door about how they're independently owned and operated because of this idiot.

Yeah the brand is really a drag on the business. With so many pizza places out there, it's just not that hard to shop somewhere that doesn't have the spokesman screaming support for a fascist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean just rename it.

it is also indigenous people's day but uh nobody actually calls it that

apparently the history of columbus day is, basically, part of an italian campaign to be "white" instead of "swarthy lazy south europeans"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

papa johns itself basically hung a giant sign on the company itself about how they are now independently owned and operated from this guy

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

RuanGacho posted:

Doesn't matter, they could be any other chain. Never buy that fascist's pizza.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Judge Scraps 'Conscience' Rule Protecting Doctors Who Deny Care For Religious Reasons
npr.org/November 6, 2019
Updated at 1:50 p.m. ET
'In a blow to the Trump administration, a federal court in Manhattan has knocked down a rule that would make it easier for doctors and other health care workers to refuse care for religious reasons.

U.S. District Judge Paul Engelmayer ruled Wednesday that the Department of Health and Human Services, which issued the regulation earlier this year, exceeded its authority and "acted arbitrarily and capriciously" in promoting it.

The department's violations of federal law, according to the judge's opinion, were "numerous, fundamental, and far-reaching" — and he vacated the rule entirely, just over two weeks before it was set to take effect on Nov. 22.'

Milwaukee man charged with hate crime in racist acid attack, authorities say
abcnews.go.com/Nov 6, 2019
"A Milwaukee man was charged with a hate crime on Wednesday for allegedly throwing battery acid on a Hispanic man in a suspected racist attack, authorities said.

Clifton Blackwell, 61, was charged with first degree reckless injury, use of a dangerous weapon and a hate crime after video appeared to show him dousing a man with acid during an argument over the victim's immigration status, according to a probable cause affidavit."

Never Forget, America’s Mass Lynching: 237 Black Sharecroppers Were Murdered In Arkansas
blackwestchester.com/June 12, 2016
"Towards the end of 1918, attorney Ulysses S. Bratton of Little Rock, Arkansas listened to Black sharecroppers tell stories of theft, exploitation, and never ending debt. One man by the name of Carter, explained how he cultivated 90 acres of cotton and then had his landlord confiscate the crop and all of his possessions. Another Black farmer, from Ratio, Arkansas said a plantation manager would not give sharecroppers an itemized record of their crop. No one realized that within a year of meeting with Mr. Bratton, one of the worst incidents of racial violence in U.S. would take place. In a report released by the Equal Justice Initiative, white people in the Delta region of the South, started a massacre that left 237 Black people dead. Even though the one-time death toll was unusually high, it was not uncommon for whites to use racial violence to intimidate Blacks."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i was just reading a case where a judge basically put this into a footnote: "yes, party X, i realize you were right and i needed to reconsider my opinion, but next time be more polite about telling me that if you don't fix it you'll appeal"

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

it is also indigenous people's day but uh nobody actually calls it that

apparently the history of columbus day is, basically, part of an italian campaign to be "white" instead of "swarthy lazy south europeans"

Yep, that's what it was.

Which isn't quite as clever as how Middle Eastern and North African people became white...by invoking Jesus in front of the Supreme Court.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1192246695624630276

Genuinely surprised Barr would refuse to do this, given all of his other toadying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1192246695624630276

Genuinely surprised Barr would refuse to do this, given all of his other toadying.

Probably because it would backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Americanization of Italians was a huge, weird, republican oriented campaign initiative in the late 70s and early 80s.

At the 1980 RNC, the mayor of Providence, Rhode Island Buddy Cianci gave a speech declaring his pround italian heritage. He was running for Governor in 1980, and when he lost the election he held a celebration party because he was going to remain Mayor.

He was also mobbed up as hell because it turns out Providence was the third biggest mob town on the east coast between Boston and NYC.

Kids know him today as the namesake of the school on Family Guy.