Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

Surely malicious compliance is the best thing to do if you think an FAA regulation is stupid?

This may be the best shot we have at finally getting the FAA to un-gently caress the NOTAM system. Get every drone pilot we can find to file one of these and effectively DDOS the FAA.

I bet they'll still make you read about unlit cranes at 100' agl 5 miles off the end of the runway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
You’d think Air Canada almost landing on a taxiway in SFO and potentially killing hundred of people would have motivated the FAA to fix the NOTAM system.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two Kings posted:

You’d think Air Canada almost landing on a taxiway in SFO and potentially killing hundred of people would have motivated the FAA to fix the NOTAM system.

The FAA only changes when people die. And sometimes not even then, if it annoys too many managers.

Hey, its page 121!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

This may be the best shot we have at finally getting the FAA to un-gently caress the NOTAM system. Get every drone pilot we can find to file one of these and effectively DDOS the FAA.

I bet they'll still make you read about unlit cranes at 100' agl 5 miles off the end of the runway though.

The saturation of advisory information is definitely an issue. It’s too easy to tune out all tower/crane information if most of it is information chaff.

Same with bird activity notices. They’re just white noise after the millionth ATIS in a row telling you birds might exist somewhere and easier to ignore if that bird activity is a huge flock of geese in the terminal area.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

The saturation of advisory information is definitely an issue. It’s too easy to tune out all tower/crane information if most of it is information chaff.

The lack of severity information is also no good. I don't know what it's like in the States, but up here, urgent PIREPs reporting something like moderate-to-severe turbulence or windshear or things like that, get a special code that allows you to distinguish them from some nonsense about 3000' ceilings that some pilot thought the rest of us might like to know. Likewise, you'd think that NOTAMs marking something like a runway closure could be made, uh, more prominent than some bullshit about Billy Bob flying his drone in his back yard or a 100 ft crane two miles from the airport. But nope!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't even really know what I'm supposed to do with all the crane information. Plot them on a map?

like, okay, i guess i better not fly any lower than 300 feet then :downs:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

The lack of severity information is also no good. I don't know what it's like in the States, but up here, urgent PIREPs reporting something like moderate-to-severe turbulence or windshear or things like that, get a special code that allows you to distinguish them from some nonsense about 3000' ceilings that some pilot thought the rest of us might like to know. Likewise, you'd think that NOTAMs marking something like a runway closure could be made, uh, more prominent than some bullshit about Billy Bob flying his drone in his back yard or a 100 ft crane two miles from the airport. But nope!

Urgent PIREPs in the states start with UUA, non urgent with UA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a patagonian cavy posted:

Urgent PIREPs in the states start with UUA, non urgent with UA.

Okay, same as Canada then.

I suppose there's some historical reason why it's two similar codes that differ by one letter and neither of which seems directly related to urgency, but they could probably do to improve that as well. Many of my students don't know, until I tell them, what the UA and UUA mean... I'm like, bro, do you even groundschool? I'll help you out with some stuff but honestly I'm not going to re-teach all of PPL ground school ad hoc.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally made Hilton diamond.

Big stuff happening over here.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Fancy!

I found out I'm probably going to be chairman of a union committee I've been on for the last couple of years, by virtue of everyone else just quitting or being hired elsewhere in the last week.

Since we're Teamsters, maybe this gets me access to embezzled money or discounts on corpse disposal.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

I hit IHG Spire Elite or some poo poo and all it got me was a wake up call during my nap prior to an overnight flight to ask if the room was ok. gently caress

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

I hit IHG Spire Elite or some poo poo and all it got me was a wake up call during my nap prior to an overnight flight to ask if the room was ok. gently caress

It’s super hidden in the fine print but if you hit Spire Elite you get 25,000 points but you have to go dig on their website to find the button to give you the points.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MY GIRLFRIEND is finishing grad school and I want to get her something awesome, and I also know that she's had her eye on a Bose A20 headset. She has been waiting on some acquaintance / friend to check on an employee discount, but it hasn't come through yet.

Are there any places where you can pick it up for less than MSRP / any discounts available, or is it more like Apple stuff that more or less never has any discounts / sales on it?

For other content, I think I once asked last year about good flight schools in the Seattle area (mostly for myself). BFI would be awesome and convenient for me, but I think the schools based there are $$$ compared to the one that I think is up in Snohomish.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Animal posted:

It’s super hidden in the fine print but if you hit Spire Elite you get 25,000 points but you have to go dig on their website to find the button to give you the points.

That wasn't easy to find, but I found it! Thanks!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

movax posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND is finishing grad school and I want to get her something awesome, and I also know that she's had her eye on a Bose A20 headset. She has been waiting on some acquaintance / friend to check on an employee discount, but it hasn't come through yet.

Are there any places where you can pick it up for less than MSRP / any discounts available, or is it more like Apple stuff that more or less never has any discounts / sales on it?

For other content, I think I once asked last year about good flight schools in the Seattle area (mostly for myself). BFI would be awesome and convenient for me, but I think the schools based there are $$$ compared to the one that I think is up in Snohomish.

I don't think Bose lets retailers sell below a certain price, since I've never seen the A20 on sale anywhere. You can also get some of their QC models converted to aviation headsets if you want to save a few hundred bucks.

I've had my A20 for about 3 years, and while the ANR and sound quality is good, the build quality is pretty crap for what they charge. Mine lives in a case when it's not plugged in, and despite being careful with it, one of the plugs developed a short that required replacing the $300 cable, which was at least under warranty.

That said, Bose charges a drat fortune for stuff like shipping, so I saved about $50 by just ordering mine off Amazon, especially since that was before they collected sales tax where I live.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

movax posted:

You did, and I said “I’m interviewing at BFI, ask soon how it is”

Now I’ve been there for a year and a half and it is pricey and a very challenging place to learn how to fly. I love where I work though- I’ll be staying past 1500 hours.

E: I can make some space on my schedule if you want to meet up and talk about planes.

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 7, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

movax posted:

You can look at eBay and such but they seem to hold their value pretty well so you may not save much. I like my Zulu 3 though, it’s comparable and a couple hundred cheaper.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

I've had my A20 for about 3 years, and while the ANR and sound quality is good, the build quality is pretty crap for what they charge. Mine lives in a case when it's not plugged in, and despite being careful with it, one of the plugs developed a short that required replacing the $300 cable, which was at least under warranty.

In the for-what-it’s-worth category, mine’s lived outside a case and has been ridden hard for 8 years and hasn’t skipped a beat. Not trying to argue, just throwing in that my A20 is a case of great build quality.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

The status booby prize. You get upgrades, but it's because of how much you're away from home.

I just made Marriott Ambassador after being Lifetime Titanium for the past few years.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Is there any way to add ANR to old headsets? I've had my DC H10-76 for... amm.... Since 2004. It still runs great after countless gel earpad replacements, but I'm thinking that ANR would be good? I still have earplugs on underneath these, even with their great passive noise reduction and basically all I hear is a low drone of the engine and nothing else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know of any easy way. I have the ANR version of the H10, the H10-13X, but the microphone and processor are inside the headset itself. The little control box on the cable is just a battery.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjKSAp2ssY8

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have literally thousands of hours on my DC Pro-X, in everything from 172s to turboprops to jets, it owns.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

In the for-what-it’s-worth category, mine’s lived outside a case and has been ridden hard for 8 years and hasn’t skipped a beat. Not trying to argue, just throwing in that my A20 is a case of great build quality.

I know people who have had them last forever, and other people where the headset breaks if it gets looked at funny.

That leads me to wonder if Bose hasn't cut corners with suppliers or QC in an effort to lower costs and compete with Lightspeed and David Clark rolling out good ANR headsets for way less than Bose charges. The only reason I didn't go with Lightspeed is that they didn't get a TSO, so I couldn't use it under our current op-specs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How do you go about applying for 121 gigs if you’re just testing the water? Is it normal to tell them when/if they call that you’re still exploring options? I’d like to throw my resume at a few places and give the hunt some time while still working my current job.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

How do you go about applying for 121 gigs if you’re just testing the water? Is it normal to tell them when/if they call that you’re still exploring options? I’d like to throw my resume at a few places and give the hunt some time while still working my current job.

Most regionals are still pretty hard up for pilots, so you're not going to get blacklisted or something if you apply and tell them your availability for an interview isn't until a bit down the road.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
At OO we have a cadet program which if you're thinking of coming here there's no reason not to do it. It starts your seniority for travel benefits and bonuses and 401k and also would put you above non-cadets in your class. As far as I know there isn't any sort of legally binding commitment that you have to make with the company nor is there a hard deadline that you have to be at the company within. I think you just have to have like 2 days free to fly out to Salt Lake or something.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzoEsM0L2CM

Oof

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Heres the avherald entry for that one: http://avherald.com/h?article=4cef2f7b&opt=0

oof indeed.

The entry claims 6 people on board. E-175 has 4 crew, were there really only 2 passengers? Or was this re positioning or something with 2 deadheads?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I got my A20s when I was in the military, and they didn't skip a beat in the moisture of Japan, the winter in the Midwest, or the heat in the middle east. I've been flying for the airlines for 2 years now and also, not a single issue. Best headset 👍

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Good opportunity to review communicating aircraft equipment issues with ATC. I knew what the situation was from the description and the captions, and I still heard "returning to land" when he said "runaway trim."

Also, ATC may not understand the phrase "runaway trim." Dumbing it down is always best. I know these guys were trying not to die, so not judging of course. But just something to think about in your personal operating practices.

I don't think ATC fully understood how out of control that aircraft really was until well-after the situation had calmed down.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 8, 2019

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Ferret King posted:

Good opportunity to review communicating aircraft equipment issues with ATC. I knew what the situation was from the description and the captions, and I still heard "returning to land" when he said "runaway trim."

Also, ATC may not understand the phrase "runaway trim." Dumbing it down is always best. I know these guys were trying not to die, so not judging of course. But just something to think about in your personal operating practices.

I don't think ATC fully understood how out of control that aircraft really was until well-after the situation had calmed down.

While I agree with getting everyone on the same page, there is only so much ATC can do to keep you from being a smoldering whole in the ground.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

I was wondering if they should have stopped everything given how uncertain it was they were in control of the plane? That's obviously a huge call at Atlanta.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This makes me realize that ATC at a huge center probably has to decide whether there are more potential lives at risk from not giving the plane with an emergency everything they ask for, or from diverting dozens of planes in their dense airspace off-course to avoid it, with dozens more arriving by the minute.

I recall one ATC recording I saw on YouTube where the incident aircraft lost a door on climb-out with zero visibility, and was frantically requesting vectors back to the airport, while the controller kept telling the pilot to climb and maintain such and such and no you can't have any runway, only this one is active, etc. The controller was getting savaged in the comments but she was also a woman so that particular brigade was out in force so I just kind of discounted the whole discussion

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

While I agree with getting everyone on the same page, there is only so much ATC can do to keep you from being a smoldering whole in the ground.

I can keep you from being a smoldering hole in the ground containing parts of two or more airplanes. There is very little to nothing I can do to keep you from cratering on your own.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

I was wondering if they should have stopped everything given how uncertain it was they were in control of the plane? That's obviously a huge call at Atlanta.

AFAIK ZTL airspace starts at either 13 or 15, so he was already a point out to the center.

I was also questioning the judgement of vectoring an emergency with flight control issues that hadn’t been real good with holding a heading into parallel runway ops. My bhole puckered on that one almost as much as hearing the pilot fighting the airplane.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob A Feet posted:

I think hoping that you’ll up whole in that situation might be over-optimistic?

:ohdear:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
We had a couple incidents this week. The trim runaway and smoke in the cabin after Boston departure. I did this runaway trim scenario in my upgrade sim and it's a scary one for sure, they handled it great. There were 6 passengers and 4 crew.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Looking at pairings has me wondering: How tf do you survive flying Hawaii redeyes? Like depart OGG 23:55 and land SFO at 7am? Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Looking at pairings has me wondering: How tf do you survive flying Hawaii redeyes? Like depart OGG 23:55 and land SFO at 7am? Oof.

lol