Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Passenger 57 is dope as poo poo and Wesley absolutely radiates charisma in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Passenger 57 and Drop Zone make for a hell of a double feature. Add in Blade and Demolition Man, Snipes was really up next, loving feds did him dirty.

E: on an unrelated note, the thread titles been bugging me, mostly because it’s in reference to a tv show, not a movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't change it. But I don't like it either, and would prefer something else.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I didn't change it. But I don't like it either, and would prefer something else.

Okay. Someone say something funny and I’ll change it to that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I assume Some Motherfuckers are Always Trying To Ice Skate Uphill is too long

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just call it the Scott Adkins Appreciation Station until something better comes along. Or the Mark Dacascos Appreciation Station, whatever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm trying to think of something based on John Wick paying with Reddit Gold, but I've got nuthin'

edit: suggestion above v. good

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 5, 2019

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Continental's Continental Breakfast is tainted with lead

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hobbs and Shaw was ok but could've been a lot better. I know it sounds dumb to complain about the story in a movie where The Rock pulls helicopters out of the sky with a chain but it just didn't work for me. Elba was very good as always, but I think the ridiculous antics of The Rock and Statham would've been better paired with a slightly more grounded story.

The action was good but not good enough for me to just ignore everything else around it. It also started pretty strong aesthetically but as it went on looked more and more like rear end with unconvincing CG backdrops.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

I've been watching through the films featured on The Action Boyz podcast (which is hilarious, by the way).

The most recent one was the slightly-hard-to-find-on-streaming Passenger 57 with Wesley Snipes, aka Die Hard on a Plane. And lemme tell you, that movie fuckin' slaps.

I've heard two stories about that movie - one is that Seagal was always supposed to get Janet Leigh'd and the other is that he was such an rear end in a top hat to work with that they wrote him out.

Edit: Woops that was Executive Decision. Too many terrorists on a plane movies in the 90s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

I've heard two stories about that movie - one is that Seagal was always supposed to get Janet Leigh'd and the other is that he was such an rear end in a top hat to work with that they wrote him out.

Edit: Woops that was Executive Decision. Too many terrorists on a plane movies in the 90s.

I think the truth was in the middle on that one. He was always written to die there but he had a dispute over the specific manner of the death(it was supposed to be more gruesome), so he refused to shoot until they changed it. So I think it was a case of Seagal not wanting to be there in the first place, and just not having any choice in the matter because he was under contract. So he made life difficult for people on set because he's a petulant child but the idea of him exiting the movie early was always in place.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Apparently it was always the idea that he died early on.

http://www.manlymovie.net/2016/08/about-seagals-early-death-in-executive-decision.html

That site also has a link to an early draft of the screenplay: https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/executive-decision-apr-91.pdf

quote:

UPDATED: Well, fair is fair and we’re going to give Seagal his credit here. As much as the theory below might make sense, it is not true. As Krom sends the following in, Seagal’s role was always written as a small part;

I have the proof here on the first 1991 early draft script that his death was intended at that very moment to the same circumstances. He really was there as a favor to WB and also as a surprise element throughout his death. Read it here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have this memory of Seagal always being filmed from the front, to hide the fact that he wouldn't cut his ponytail. Did I just dream that?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love when movies like Executive Decision tried to make Seagal into like a hardass by-the-book special ops dude because he really really could not handle guns in anything close to a convincing way. Or he just didn't give enough of a poo poo to try. Check out the opening credits of Executive Decision and watch him move around in the least convincing way of anybody else in the scene, and he's supposed to be like this badass team leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDzNoBUzEI

He worked much better as like a quirky renegade cop because his weird tendencies(watch the above scene and observe his weird choppy little steps as he takes down the two guys with the knife) fit more naturally into those kind of characters.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
For years there was a possibly apocryphal story/urban legend that Steven Seagal was the product of a bet by a talent agent that he could make even the blandest, flattest person into a movie star.

It’s probably not true but it 100% seems like it could be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Behind the Bastards podcast did a great 2-part episode on Seagal.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

For years there was a possibly apocryphal story/urban legend that Steven Seagal was the product of a bet by a talent agent that he could make even the blandest, flattest person into a movie star.

It’s probably not true but it 100% seems like it could be.

Action Boyz has the history that he was the martial arts instructor for a producer who was so enamored with him that he was convinced he was star material.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Behind the Bastards podcast did a great 2-part episode on Seagal.

I keep putting this off. Might start it today!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It lowered my already very low opinion of Seagal.

The thing is, Seagal was really hot for a while, and made some good movies. It all went to poo poo very quickly when he got too much creative control over his own films.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s just wild that someone could have a such limited, precarious type of fame (martial arts action star) and not realize that being a cruel rear end in a top hat is likely to shorten that already short window.

It just speaks to what type of person he is, I guess. The type of person who gets banned from SNL by being rude to cast members.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone with an interest in the rise and fall of Seagal might pick up the Kindle edition of Seagalogy: The rear end-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal, I enjoyed the reviews as much as the films and it goes into some detail as to how good (or not) each film is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagalogy-rear end-Kicking-Steven-Seagal-Updated/dp/0857687220

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Interesting to learn the Executive Decision story is apocryphal considering there's like 20 people who back up the getting choked out by Gene LaBell story. I guess how much of a prick he is has gone back and inception-ed other actors/directors' memories of working with him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gene Labell is a huge bullshitter and Steven Seagal is a huge prick. That's how you find two dozen people who are willing to bend the truth a bit to humiliate a jerk.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

weekly font posted:

Interesting to learn the Executive Decision story is apocryphal considering there's like 20 people who back up the getting choked out by Gene LaBell story. I guess how much of a prick he is has gone back and inception-ed other actors/directors' memories of working with him.

Interesting, I've heard that story told as just some random stunt guy who went on to work with Kevin Hart on something. So, either Steven Seagal poo poo his pants twice, or it's just a flexible story

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Some motherfuckers are always running dorky like Steven Seagal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like Executive Decision but holy gently caress, did they waste David Suchet's talent as a generic terrorist. The man was the best Hercule Poirot and has some serious acting chops.

Though he did have quite the intimidating presence in the film so at least he did the best he could with what material he had.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's amazing how he peaked with Under Siege and then immediately cratered with On Deadly Ground. Under Siege is a truly great action movie, if you haven't seen it you really should. On Deadly Ground on the other hand... hoo boy, that sucked. I'd rate that as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. My RPG/going to the range group all saw it together. Then we went back to someone's apartment, had beers, and tried to piece together what the hell had just happened.

It's bad. It's really bad. It's "star high on his own ego directs the followup to his first smash success, but gets two nobodies to collaborate on their first screenplay" bad. It's the confusing kind of bad.

I wonder what Michael Caine spent his check on ? I bet it was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyD_6_jFB8A

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s just wild that someone could have a such limited, precarious type of fame (martial arts action star) and not realize that being a cruel rear end in a top hat is likely to shorten that already short window.

It just speaks to what type of person he is, I guess. The type of person who gets banned from SNL by being rude to cast members.
Part of that was that he wanted to do a scene where the "joke" was that a woman goes to her therapist and tells him that she was raped, and he tries to rape her.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jimbot posted:

I like Executive Decision but holy gently caress, did they waste David Suchet's talent as a generic terrorist. The man was the best Hercule Poirot and has some serious acting chops.

Though he did have quite the intimidating presence in the film so at least he did the best he could with what material he had.

When you look back at it, that entire cast is absolutely ridiculous.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gene Labell is a huge bullshitter and Steven Seagal is a huge prick. That's how you find two dozen people who are willing to bend the truth a bit to humiliate a jerk.

Gene Lebell is a loud braggart, but he's a physical beast even as an old man. Dude is like a pitbull crossed with a bear. I have no doubt that this story is possible (especially as it's a well known 'party trick' of Genes). The problem I have with the story is a stuntman simply doesn't pull this poo poo with the star of the movie and get away with it. Especially with an ego as fragile as Seagal.

I think you're right in that there was probably some back stage dick waving, the pants making GBS threads story came up and people ran with it because Seagal is a collosal prick and old Gene loves a good yarn.

But seriously.. even old man Gene would pull your head off

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

It's amazing how he peaked with Under Siege and then immediately cratered with On Deadly Ground. Under Siege is a truly great action movie, if you haven't seen it you really should. On Deadly Ground on the other hand... hoo boy, that sucked. I'd rate that as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. My RPG/going to the range group all saw it together. Then we went back to someone's apartment, had beers, and tried to piece together what the hell had just happened.

It's bad. It's really bad. It's "star high on his own ego directs the followup to his first smash success, but gets two nobodies to collaborate on their first screenplay" bad. It's the confusing kind of bad.

I wonder what Michael Caine spent his check on ? I bet it was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyD_6_jFB8A

On Deadly Ground at least had a few memorable kills and R Lee Emery being R Lee Emery. Fire Down Below is where it gets really dire.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The most fun game to play when watching a Seagal-centric vehicle is counting how many times he gets injured from the second act of any movie until credits.

Hint:

It is always zero.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I wanted to say I hate films where the hero doesn't get hit but I realized I came into this thread to announce that RE:Born is now on Shudder...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

I wanted to say I hate films where the hero doesn't get hit but I realized I came into this thread to announce that RE:Born is now on Shudder...

This movie loving rules. For most of its length, it's an airsoft team's MGS fan fiction, then the fights start and it's loving top notch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tart Kitty posted:

The most fun game to play when watching a Seagal-centric vehicle is counting how many times he gets injured from the second act of any movie until credits.

Hint:

It is always zero.
The main selling point of Marked for Death is that it's the sole exception to this rule.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

On Deadly Ground at least had a few memorable kills and R Lee Emery being R Lee Emery. Fire Down Below is where it gets really dire.

I"m glad I stopped with his films where we did !

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Passenger 57 and Drop Zone make for a hell of a double feature. Add in Blade and Demolition Man, Snipes was really up next, loving feds did him dirty.

I'n pretty sure that Snipes going to prison was the first time people cared about him for years.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ruddiger posted:

Some motherfuckers are always running dorky like Steven Seagal.

I always took Seagal's little girl run and just how bloated he became as proof that he was a massive juicer.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Seagal's best movie is Belly of the Beast. It's high art comedy from start to loving finish. It has everything. He's protected by Buddhist magic at the end, I'm hollering at the top of my lungs the entire runtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zec4w7S1M2Y

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I loving love Under Siege 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

I loving love Under Siege 2.

I've mentioned it before but I'm a huge sucker for any movie that features a CD-ROM as a maguffin