Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

What is the Ex Machina one? I forgot about the Flash forces.

There was a Still force in DC where if the fastest man alive could hold himself still he could conquer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

There was a Still force in DC where if the fastest man alive could hold himself still he could conquer it.

Don't know that but, I'm pretty sure my slothfulness has helped me conquer that one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CzarChasm posted:

Yup

The Black (which is associated with Death, and run by the Parliament of Decay).
The Red (which is connected to all animal life and run by the Parliament of Limbs).
The Clear (which is associated with aquatic life and run by the Parliament of Waves).
The White (which is associated with air elementals and run by the Parliament of Vapors).
The Grey (which is connected to all fungal life).
An unnamed fire realm (which is associated with fire elementals and connected to the Parliament of Flames.
The Melt (which is connected to Earth elementals and run by the Parliament of Stones).
The Metal (which is connected to metal and technological elementals and run by The Rithm).
The Divided (which is associated with bacteria, amoebas, and other microscopic forms of life).
Did Geoff Johns do this one too? Didn't Moore and co. only come up with the Green and the Red?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm pretty sure the Red was Morrison riffing on Moore for Animal Man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nessus posted:

Did Geoff Johns do this one too? Didn't Moore and co. only come up with the Green and the Red?

Nope mark miller during his swamp thing run along with others that followed him. Most of the parliaments were around before the new 52.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 7, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bessantj posted:

Have Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing ever interacted? She ever try and control him?

In the DCAU comics they retconned some of Ivy's later appearances in the cartoons (when she was green) as that having just been a plant clone of her, while the real one was off hanging out with Swamp Thing learning about the Green (and it's very strongly implied they were doing it).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

Thanks.

The second question I should ask "What other spectrum of things" like The Green et al are there. If that makes more sense.

Like the different-colored types of Kryptonite?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bessantj posted:

Thanks.

The second question I should ask "What other spectrum of things" like The Green et al are there. If that makes more sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Robin's being very rude calling Batman's fabulous pink costume "red".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bessantj posted:

Have Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing ever interacted? She ever try and control him?

Alex Holland and Ivy studies together in Black Orchid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Robin's being very rude calling Batman's fabulous pink costume "red".

And anyone wearing a costume like that should shut the gently caress up about everyone else's clothes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

IIRC it was John Ostrander who came up with the idea of Firestorm becoming a fire elemental to go along with Swamp Thing's plant elemental status.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Alhazred posted:

And anyone wearing a costume like that should shut the gently caress up about everyone else's clothes.

I mean, Batman dressed him. This one all comes down to Bruce no matter how you slice it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Robin costume being a repurposed Flying Graysons outfit makes total sense as Dick honoring his parents, but also Haley's Circus toured all over the country performing in front of, presumably, millions of people, where his parents died wearing those outfits in a really gruesome and public way, and now there's a kid his exact age tooling around in a jet-black rocket car with a lunatic that dresses up as a bat, dressed exactly the same, not long after Dick was legally adopted by the only guy in Gotham who could potentially afford a jet-black rocket car.

It's like Bruce wanted people to know.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

Like the different-colored types of Kryptonite?

I suppose that could be one. How many different types of Kryptonite are there and what are the effects? I know green hurts Superman and red turns him evil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

I suppose that could be one. How many different types of Kryptonite are there and what are the effects? I know green hurts Superman and red turns him evil.

Blue heals him.
Gold takes away their powers.
Black splits Kryptonians into good and evil halves.
Pink makes him hit on Jimmy Olsen.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I thought black killed him and red temporarily mutated him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cubone posted:

I thought black killed him and red temporarily mutated him

As of Jeph Loeb's Supergirl series black K splits a Kryptonian into good and evil. Red mutates but on Smallville it turned him into a douchebag. Green is the lethal one.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Rhyno posted:

Red mutates but on Smallville it turned him into a douchebag.
haha

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Kryptonite

There's a lot of kinds I forgot about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Blue heals him.
Gold takes away their powers.
Black splits Kryptonians into good and evil halves.
Pink makes him hit on Jimmy Olsen.
Is that real? I hope its real and they did it in a 60s comic.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Kryptonite

There's a lot of kinds I forgot about.

Kryptonite Plus sounds like something bodybuilders would take.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Is that real? I hope its real and they did it in a 60s comic.

It was in the final arc of Peter David's Supergirl series. 2003ish?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Didn't this kind of stuff come about due to cover artists making up bizaare poo poo for the cover and the interior artist and writer had to try figure out a story for it? Is that true or just an urban legend?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It was in the final arc of Peter David's Supergirl series. 2003ish?

I was hoping it was on one of those 60s covers that had little relation to the content of the comic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

Didn't this kind of stuff come about due to cover artists making up bizaare poo poo for the cover and the interior artist and writer had to try figure out a story for it? Is that true or just an urban legend?

That and absolute mountains of cocaine/psychedelics

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bessantj posted:

Is that real?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Superman could do better.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bessantj posted:

Than Jimmy Olsen? Oh hell no

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Red mutates but on Smallville it turned him into a douchebag.

So could red Kryptonite also explain the existence of Dean Cain?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

bessantj posted:

But he knows Clark Kent can’t, he’s gotta keep the ball in both courts

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Retro Futurist posted:

That and absolute mountains of cocaine/psychedelics

Who in the Silver Age was doing mountains of cocaine? Is this some inside scoop about the DC staff culture I've never heard or a reference to a specific writer or editor? I don't want to sound confrontational or skeptical but based on everything I know cocaine would have been a strange drug of choice for a bunch of nerdy white guys in the 50s and 60s. It just seems like a strange socioeconomic and professional milieu for coke to be prominent in during that time, but I don't know, what do I know?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess that'd be more an 80s thing. Just the psychedelics then.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Than Jimmy Olsen? Oh hell no

Yes he could. Batman for a start.

Thaddius the Large posted:

But he knows Clark Kent can’t, he’s gotta keep the ball in both courts

Fair.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bessantj posted:

Yes he could. Batman for a start.

Batman's taken, Superman's too good a dude to bust up his relationship with any of a number of Robins

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Batman's taken, Superman's too good a dude to bust up his relationship with any of a number of Robins

If that pink outfit further up the thread is anything to go by he's only "taken"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduchess posted:

Who in the Silver Age was doing mountains of cocaine? Is this some inside scoop about the DC staff culture I've never heard or a reference to a specific writer or editor? I don't want to sound confrontational or skeptical but based on everything I know cocaine would have been a strange drug of choice for a bunch of nerdy white guys in the 50s and 60s. It just seems like a strange socioeconomic and professional milieu for coke to be prominent in during that time, but I don't know, what do I know?

Again just remembering vague details but I think the guy who was working on Superman in during the 50/60's was taking psychodelics and using Superman to work through some personal issues. I vaguely remember reading about that, possibly in these forums. Will try find more details.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I have a question about something I brought up in the BSS TV thread.

I the X-Men Evolution cartoon show, they introduced a character named Spyke.

About a year later, X-Force/X-Statix briefly added a character named Spike to the team, who had the same ability of firing bone spikes.

Did Milligan ever directly come out and say anywhere 'Yeah, we cribbed that's character from the show as a joke' or anything?

I always just assumed it was him being cheeky

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I figured it was intentional and he may have even been asked to bring it in X-23 was from Evolution as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't think any of the "old dudes at DC in the 1950s/1960s were taking drugs" stories are anything but "man those guys must have been soooooooooooooooooo ooooooo ooooooo oooooooooo ooooo stoned to make that, man!" speculation/unsourced stories; Ditko and Kirby never did drugs according to anyone and did some pretty weird poo poo, as did [insert a ton of artists, writers, musicians, painters, sculptors, actors, etc. across centuries].

What is 100% confirmed from multiple primary sources is that in the 1950s well into the early 1970s National/DC employed early market research/focus groups/etc. to determine what was hot with the kids these days, and go through jags of "the kids love gorillas! the kids love roller skating! the kids love things that are purple! the kids love go go checks!" and push those elements on their covers.

They also had their 'top' artists draw all of the covers based on whatever came out of these reports/brainstorming, and then handed the covers to the yeoman writers/artists to work backwards to figure out why Lois Lane had a Kryptonite xylophone or Jimmy Olsen was a violent hippie or the Flash was getting beaten in roller derby.

The young fans-turned-pros at Marvel in the early 1970s (many of whom migrated to DC later on) did in fact do all sorts of recreational drugs and wander through Central Park and the East Village while high pitching each other stories for Supervillain Team-Up or whatever, but that was an entirely different generation and tone than the Silver Age covers people were talking about.