Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Marcade posted:

A similar thing happened in my home town about 15 years ago where someone forced (since it ordinarily wouldn't connect) an oxygen line onto the N20 line. The patient's O2 stat kept dropping so they were upping the feed thinking they were giving her O2. She died. To my knowledge they no longer have N20 lines at that hospital, they just bring in a handcart with N20 as needed.

After Texas eliminated their state plumbing regulator, we had some fun discussions in the crappy construction thread about how this would increase incidences of medical gas fuckups.

And someone pulled out a story from Australia about a patient where they hooked up gas to his catheter by mistake and slowly exploded his bladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Dang Lizard posted:

Doesn't modern gear prevent this sort of thing? I remember reading (possibly in this very thread!) about some piece of equipment with buttons that had to be hit simultaneously, and were spaced far enough apart that you had to have both arms extended (thus keeping your hands away from the crushy part of the machine). The early models could be defeated by taping down one of the buttons and just pressing the other one to operate it, but the final version needed both buttons to be released at the same time before you could use the machine again.

Shut up Meg posted:

Fun fact:

Two-handed interlocks are a mechanism to prevent a stray hand from getting chopped, so they require both buttons to be simultaneously pressed in order for the blade to descend, keeping the spare hand safe.

But they also have a second protection system: both buttons need to be released in order for the machine to reset for another cycle. This is because without this feature, operators will jam one of the buttons permanently on, either with a toothpick or leaning a broom against them, allowing them to use the machine with a single button.

Build a better mousetrap anti-injury device and nature will build a better idiot to defeat it and snap his finger in it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's just do a torque test on these foundation bolts, make sure they're still good.

https://i.imgur.com/JDlyVE8.mp4

Was this footage retrieved from the wreckage a few days later, or...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Lazyhound posted:

Prince Edward Island is a Canadian province.

it sure is, I grew up a mere 600 miles (“right next door” by North American distance standards) from it. it’s really british there. matterafact,

wikipedia posted:

38% of islanders claim Scottish ancestry, but this is an underestimate and it is thought that almost 50% of islanders have Scottish roots. When combined with Irish and Welsh, almost 80% of islanders are of some Celtic stock, albeit most families have resided in PEI for at least two centuries. Few places outside Europe can claim such a homogenous Celtic ethnic background. The only other jurisdiction in North America with such a high percentage of British Isles heritage is Newfoundland.

snugglz fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 7, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

snugglz posted:

it sure is, I grew up a mere 600 miles (“right next door” by North American distance standards) from it. it’s really british there. matterafact,

I grew up in PEI and it is absolutely not British there, culturally.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

I grew up in PEI and it is absolutely not British there, culturally.

Hmm sounds exactly like something someone in Britain would say.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Still in PEI. You could go to a Cčilidh (Irish musical party with dancing) literally every day of the week if you cared to. Personally my family has been here for many generations and has Scottish roots.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Most people only get one opportunity to fart out of their dick. Don't let your chance slip by :(.

Let it slip by 100%. I've had air pockets due to getting an 'internal x-ray'. I would not recommend it to anyone else ever at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

That Dang Lizard posted:

Doesn't modern gear prevent this sort of thing? I remember reading (possibly in this very thread!) about some piece of equipment with buttons that had to be hit simultaneously, and were spaced far enough apart that you had to have both arms extended (thus keeping your hands away from the crushy part of the machine). The early models could be defeated by taping down one of the buttons and just pressing the other one to operate it, but the final version needed both buttons to be released at the same time before you could use the machine again.

Jamming a screwdriver into a sensor is jumping through a pretty big hoop to defeat the interlock tho.

Kinda like how if you were wanting to get clever about finding a way to gently caress with that modern 'push two buttons and then release to cycle the machine' interlocks you could just rig up a broom handle with some checkers pieces or something taped to it mounted to the buttons so you could make a push bar that'd hit and release both.

Original idea do not steal also do not tell your idiot coworkers about this one simple trick to turn modern industrial machines back into the good ol Limbcutter 2000.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/wwwwvvvvwwwww/status/1192137244863336448?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Platystemon posted:

Someone tell the transportation department that they’re violating the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices by understating the clearance by more than three inches.

They aren't. You're allowed to say the bridge is a few inches lower than it actually is because of future roadwork raising the height of the road.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Your mind had a PM less than a month ago. It has to be operator error.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iospace posted:

They aren't. You're allowed to say the bridge is a few inches lower than it actually is because of future roadwork raising the height of the road.

huh

I always assumed it was an idiot buffer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

huh

I always assumed it was an idiot buffer

It can be both!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Who's Maintenance Dan? Is he Groundskeeper Willy's cousin?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/nattyking1961/status/1192378133132955648?s=21

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Both interpretations of this are pretty funny in a pretty dark way

First, the employer is sending people to their maintenance guy instead of a trained therapist or something.

Second, the maintenance guy is actually a trained therapist but because the world is hosed up he's "maintenance Dan" at some place of work.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

madeintaipei posted:

Most people only get one opportunity to fart out of their dick. Don't let your chance slip by :(.

tater_salad posted:

Let it slip by 100%. I've had air pockets due to getting an 'internal x-ray'. I would not recommend it to anyone else ever at all.

It's more like blowing bubbles in my personal experience, and a little weird feeling but not unpleasant

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's rear end-Dans real name when he's not working the Kick Spit Underground Rock Festival circuit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty sure I saw this on a computer in The Outer Worlds.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Our 4th St. bridge in Charlottesville is picking up the slack. 2 in 2 weeks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Maintenance Dan the Maintenance Man, solving all of life's problems

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

In Breakfast of Champions a contractor sets up a fake waste removal system at some company and the river becomes an oil slick while a cave becomes a foam monster.

I've never read Cat's Cradle.

Ah, thought it looked like Ice-nine. Cat’s Cradle is loving great so put it on your list.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's just do a torque test on these foundation bolts, make sure they're still good.

https://i.imgur.com/JDlyVE8.mp4

That at least looks like it was caused by corrosion. When we opened up a wall in my parents house to install a dog door we found a nut on the framing with no corresponding foundation bolt. Looked like it had been stuck there with gum

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boogalo posted:

how poignant to install a score board

"BRIDGE 10 - TRUCK 0"

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Boogalo posted:

Penske status: peeled.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ah, thought it looked like Ice-nine. Cat’s Cradle is loving great so put it on your list.
I'm going through Pratchett right now with Mort, and Mortimer is learning the unintended consequences of not following procedure.

Next up is Guards Guards which should have some OSHA in it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

iospace posted:

If I recall correctly, you are allowed up to three inches of difference. So four inches is outside the regs after all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Grundulum posted:

If I recall correctly, you are allowed up to three inches of difference. So four inches is outside the regs after all.

This is very disconcerting

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Grundulum posted:

I'm gonna update my tinder profile.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Grundulum posted:

"The actual clearance should be displayed on the Low Clearance sign to the nearest 1 inch not exceeding the actual clearance. However, in areas that experience changes in temperature causing frost action, a reduction, not exceeding 3 inches, should be used for this condition." - Section 2C.27

I don't know how often it freezes down there, but probably not enough to meet that criterion. It should be the actual clearance, rounded down to the nearest inch. However, it's worth pointing out that this is SHOULD, not SHALL, and therefore the engineer can do otherwise if he has good reason to. It is certainly not best practice as it may embolden a driver in a 12'-6" truck who decides to try his luck with the next 12'-4" bridge he finds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20190908X51027

The pilot reported, that while maneuvering at a low altitude in an aerial applicator airplane, he dumped about 350 gallons of pink water for a gender reveal. The airplane "got too slow", aerodynamically stalled, impacted terrain, and came to rest inverted.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspector reported that the accident occurred during a low pass for a gender reveal celebration. He added that there were two persons on board the single seat airplane.

Ban gender

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my uncle's crop duster

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Worker Dies in Chemical Incident at Buffalo Wild Wings. 8 other workers and 2 customers went to the hospital.

quote:

Interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson said Super 8, a common sanitation product, was being used to clean the floor when people inside the restaurant became sick. Fire crews responded around 5:30 p.m. to find a male worker who was nauseous after inhaling fumes from the cleaning agent. He was taken in serious condition to Leahy Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

"This is a product that we've been told is a common product used in floor cleaning," Patterson said. "For some reason tonight, there was just a reaction that led to this."
I'm sure that's what the fire chief was told but

8.2% Sodium Hyperchlorite posted:

Auto-Chlor System Super 8 is EPA registered for use on food contact surfaces as a sanitizer without a rinse. Super 8 is used to sanitize dishware, flatware, glassware, utensils, pots, pans, and other food contact surfaces. Super 8 can be used to sanitize in low temperature warewashing, three compartment sinks and for hard non-porus food contact surfaces sanitizing in foodservice environment.

This product is an EPA registered, low temp sodium hypochlorite solution for sanitization in the Food Processing and Food Service industry. It is an effective sanitizer for utensils, glassware, equipment and as a terminal sanitizing rinse in machine dishwashing. It may also be used manually as a “third sink” sanitizer or as a spray sanitizer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

look, food contact surfaces.

and I want that filthy floor clean enough to eat off.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Synthbuttrange posted:

look, food contact surfaces.

and I want that filthy floor clean enough to eat off.

you animal

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Burying the lede.

quote:

We were just sitting at the bar, and kind of the smell of, like, ammonia and chlorine came over us, and a bunch of people started coughing," said Jim Jorefice, who was inside the restaurant with some coworkers at the time.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I'm on no sleep with a 2 month old crying, but isn't that obviously as gently caress a bleach and ammonia aka chlorine gas issue?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

shame on an IGA posted:

Burying the lede.

Ah, janitors helper. Luckily I'm immune, built up a healthy tolerance over the years. Or unhealthy, depending on how you look at it.