Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Is a real pressure cooker a stove top one? Is the instant pot not good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
e: double post

barkbell fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 5, 2019

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The instant pot is great so long as you’re aware that you can take the inner pot and put it on the stove to sear, boil water, etc before using it to pressure cook in the housing. It’s slightly rounded at the bottom so liquid will tend to pool at the edges and not cover the center, but that’s not usually much of a problem unless you’re trying to minimize the amount of fat you use to sear/sauté stuff.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
does something a bit higher end like brevilles electric pressure cooker perform better? maybe this isnt the right thread for this but there are tons of review websites with equipment recommendations but its hard to tell why one place recommends x but another y.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just do all the searing in my enamel dutch oven then toss in the IP to pressure cook. I find that the temp regulation and quality of the pot itself just aren't great for getting good sears etc.

I have another stovetop pressure cooker that I'll use for larger volume stuff like stock or a bigger batch of beans where I'm trying to avoid foaming. Usually when I'm doing all my cooking on Sunday I've got both pressure cookers and a sousvide all running at once.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I just do all the searing in my enamel dutch oven then toss in the IP to pressure cook. I find that the temp regulation and quality of the pot itself just aren't great for getting good sears etc.

I have another stovetop pressure cooker that I'll use for larger volume stuff like stock or a bigger batch of beans where I'm trying to avoid foaming. Usually when I'm doing all my cooking on Sunday I've got both pressure cookers and a sousvide all running at once.

Won’t somebody think of the fond???

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lawnie posted:

obviously you deglaze before you dump it in the IP. I have to do it the same way because the IP's liner doesn't work on an induction stove

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

obviously you deglaze before you dump it in the IP. I have to do it the same way because the IP's liner doesn't work on an induction stove

Huh. I always assumed the IP was induction heated. I have no idea why.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It’s not that the instant pot is a bad machine or something. It’s just not going to do as much for me as a stove top model will do. When I’m doing a one pot dealie, I put my pressure cooker on the stove, crank the heat, pop spices, fry onions, bla bla bla. By the time I throw in the water, it comes to the boil pretty fast because the pot and stove are pretty darn hot. This means that it takes very little time to get up to pressure.

And then when it gets “too hot” (wtf), it freezes the whole process. It’s a cooker. It’s supposed to get hot. I’ve never had my stove top get pissy because it’s getting hot.

The instant pot tries to do too many things. It has a stainless insert. Why isn’t it induction powered? To be honest, unless it’s a fuzzy logic device, it should really just have a couple of settings. Temperature. Time. Pressure level. The presets for the various foods could be sorted with a “press this for this”.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My stovetop PC is 12 qt and takes forever top get going sometimes, and it would definitely be nice and improve my quality of life a tiny bit if it could turn itself down and set its own timer at precisely the correct moment when it came up to pressure

e: my induction cooktop overheats and shuts off if it gets too hot, usually when I'm trying to sear the gently caress out of a steak in cast iron on 11

Also, herre's what 2.5 pounds of cilantro looks like

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 6, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lawnie posted:

I deglaze and dump.

IP works nice for me for about half my pressure cooker and rice cooker needs, I have a bigger stovetop pressure cooker for other stuff but having a handy times shutoff on the IP is useful when I got the whole kitchen tied up with different dishes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

poverty goat posted:

Also, herre's what 2.5 pounds of cilantro looks like

Oh. Well that's a small batch of chimichurri. Or maybe enough for a couple of sandwiches.

I mean really that's not very much.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Grand Fromage posted:

Even a cheapo rice cooker is easier and more consistent than using a pot. It's not cheating, everybody in Asia uses a rice cooker too. I don't think I've made rice in a pot in a decade.

You do still have to figure out your water ratio but after that you're good.

I have to confess I can't make rice in a rice cooker. I don't know what the proper ratio is and I never bothered figuring it out. We have one but it's always my fiance who makes rice in it. I've always made rice in a pot and never had a problem. And I like to fry the rice first in the pan with oil and spices before adding the water, can't do that in a rice cooker.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Damint, beat me to it. Yeah, not quite puke, but sour milk. It's faint though, I'm pretty sure most of the population can't taste it.

Apparently it's quite jarring if you've grown up on Cadbury Dairy Milk.

I really need to try a hersheys bar, I am very intrigued by the taste descriptions... Soured milk products are some of my favorites (cultured butter, parmesan cheese or pecorino).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really need to try a hersheys bar, I am very intrigued by the taste descriptions...

It takes away from the creamy; real British Cadbury Dairy Milk just seems so much creamier in comparison.

Really, though, if you want to poo poo on American chocolate, we do MUCH worse then Hersheys. Most embarrassing is the "chocolaty coating" on some candy bars, cookies and ice cream bars, it barely even resembles chocolate.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

It takes away from the creamy; real British Cadbury Dairy Milk just seems so much creamier in comparison.

Really, though, if you want to poo poo on American chocolate, we do MUCH worse then Hersheys. Most embarrassing is the "chocolaty coating" on some candy bars, cookies and ice cream bars, it barely even resembles chocolate.

Or the 'chocolate' on protein bars. What even is that? Brown wax and cyanide?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is the worst chocolate made with Hershey process then thinned with fats and sugar?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Or the 'chocolate' on protein bars. What even is that? Brown wax and cyanide?

The one that gets me is this:

I'll never understand the enduring popularity of Keebler Elf cookies, they are all poo poo.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The one that gets me is this:

I'll never understand the enduring popularity of Keebler Elf cookies, they are all poo poo.

100% nostalgia.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I really like the crumbly chocolate chip cookies, the ones in the 72-pack at winco for about $1.06. I call them church cookies. They don't taste anything like chocolate, and that's OK.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally going to make a purchase at penzys and i'm wondering if any of their special blends of spices (or regular ones that i've overlooked) that i should consider getting?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like the boxes currently on sale actually aren't a great representation. Otoh they're cheap as hell so whatever.

I personally love Quebec, Ozark, toasted onion, roasted garlic, shallot, Tellicherry peppercorns, black & red, Barbecue of the Americas, smoked Spanish paprika, berbere, and uhhh basically all the baking spices.

For some blends, they have two options, with and without salt. The two options have totally different names so it's not very clear. I would just pick whether you want blends with or without salt and stick to that (I picked with).

Also the emails are like Dr. Bronner–level but the sales and freebies are amazing. Start keeping a list of what you have.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 7, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BraveUlysses posted:

finally going to make a purchase at penzys and i'm wondering if any of their special blends of spices (or regular ones that i've overlooked) that i should consider getting?

I like their Bavarian seasoning a lot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I like the Galena Street and Sate seasonings. I ordered from The Spice House a decade ago and their blends were really good, but the owners are apparently MAGA dipshits so I can't order from them any more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Human Tornada posted:

I like the Galena Street and Sate seasonings. I ordered from The Spice House a decade ago and their blends were really good, but the owners are apparently MAGA dipshits so I can't order from them any more.

I unsubscribed from penzy’s when the owner continued sending multi-paragraph emails about how screwed our country is because of Trump.

Everyone’s entitled to their own political beliefs, but I don’t feel like you should continue to broadcast that in emails to your customers. I really liked it when he would send an email having zero to do with any products, but he’d just talk about the state of the nation.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't the owners of Penzeys & Spice House family? Me, I'm with Penzeys because gently caress the MAGA crowd. And we have one in town.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The parents started the spice business as the Spice House. It stayed local. IIRC, their son created a catalog and handled all that business, which became the bigger piece and eventually spun off as Penzey's. The daughter continues to run the Spice House, which obviously now has an online business too.

Penzey's sends extremely long frothing emails but they're not wrong, and they have absolute tons of sales and freebies (e: I haven't seen any emails without sales/freebies). They've made their beliefs super clear for years, but they got way more attention for it in the Trump era. There have been a bunch of profiles and apparently the controversy has translated into more profit.

Spice House is very coy about "well WE would never discuss such a horrible thing as POLITICS" and all the MAGAs have flocked there.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 8, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

I unsubscribed from penzy’s when the owner continued sending multi-paragraph emails about how screwed our country is because of Trump.

Everyone’s entitled to their own political beliefs, but I don’t feel like you should continue to broadcast that in emails to your customers. I really liked it when he would send an email having zero to do with any products, but he’d just talk about the state of the nation.

lol

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/bill-penzey-spite-spice/

quote:

(Side note: the magazine incorrectly reported that Penzey’s apolitical sister, a competing spice merchant, reached out to conservative media in an attempt to sell politics-free spices from the same family. I reached out to her first, and posted about it here. She responded later by inviting readers of my blog alienated by her brother’s nastiness to buy apolitical spices at The Spice House — which I’ve done, and which I, as a former Penzeys customer, recommend to you. Especially their Bavarian Seasoning.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
double derp post

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Penzys is great because I get a pound of spices for a dollar when trump does something dumb

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
also the spices are legitimately amazing. It's not like "McCormick's but anti-trump," it's spices that are way, way better than grocery stores and also cheaper. It definitely demonstrates how much more consumers can benefit when the owner isn't trying to maximize every penny

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I appreciate the crazy anti Trump emails cuz it's good and proper to openly say a racist dick hole is a racist dick hole and not try to appeal to ~~~~ both sides ~~~~ to get a couple more sales.

Also cuz there's almost always super cheap or free spices associated with the emails.

Edit: I would be fine if more businesses clearly broadcasted their political beliefs like Penzey's does.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I have a recipe that calls for a mango/jalapeno chutney. What would be a good replacement for the mango? First thing that came to mind for me was peaches but good luck getting good ones this time of year.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anne Whateley posted:

also the spices are legitimately amazing. It's not like "McCormick's but anti-trump," it's spices that are way, way better than grocery stores and also cheaper. It definitely demonstrates how much more consumers can benefit when the owner isn't trying to maximize every penny

Oh I still buy from Penzeys-I just don’t subscribe to their emails anymore. I want your sweet spice blend, I don’t care about which side you affiliate with.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I have a recipe that calls for a mango/jalapeno chutney. What would be a good replacement for the mango? First thing that came to mind for me was peaches but good luck getting good ones this time of year.

It’s not raw mango, it’s mango chutney. Depending on location, you should be able to pick this up in the supermarket.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: I would be fine if more businesses clearly broadcasted their political beliefs like Penzey's does.

No, you wouldn't be, because 97% of them are hardcore Trumpers and/or religious assholes, like Home Depot or Chik FIl A.

nwin posted:

I don’t care about which side you affiliate with.

With numerous friends and family members at risk, being apolitical is a luxury I cannot afford. :colbert:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This might be a dumb question. Don’t yell at me. I’m making stew later and I have a lot of excess sausage around. I was wondering if I could/should de-case and cook a link and use that fat as a replacement for oil in the recipe. Also any stew tips would be cool.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

This might be a dumb question.

No, that's my job. I've asked some really dumb poo poo over the years. :haw:

I was wondering if I could/should decade and cook a link and use that fat as a replacement for oil in the recipe.

Great idea! Why not fry up a few sausages, to keep in the fridge for omelets or whatever?

Also any stew tips would be cool.

Umami in the base!
Throw in a Tbl of miso paste if you have it, or some Worcestershire sauce, and don't forget some celery. I put celery in pretty much every soup and stew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Squashy Nipples posted:

Umami in the base!
Throw in a Tbl of miso paste if you have it, or some Worcestershire sauce, and don't forget some celery. I put celery in pretty much every soup and stew.

Or some Vegemite/Marmite.
Anchovies would work too, or soak some dried shitake mushrooms and add the liquid and the mushrooms.
You get the idea.