Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

WampaLord posted:

...in Tampa

:getin:
Cam grew up a Falcons fan, so after 2 years in Tampa he should go back up whoever the Saints draft in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Saints win SB
Drew retires
Saints sign Cam
Cam and Taysom run dual QB system

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Saints win SB
Drew retires
Saints sign Cam
Cam and Taysom run dual QB system

:hmmyes:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Barring another injury this year, you fuckers aren’t getting off the hook with Brees for at least another year.

There’s enough QB-starved teams out there that Teddy’s not coming back.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

Barring another injury this year, you fuckers aren’t getting off the hook with Brees for at least another year.

Hopefully! Maybe even 2 or 3

I assume he's going to want to outlast Brady because if I were him, I would want to go to whatever age Brady goes to, and Brady is a couple of years older than Brees. Brees doesn't have all the rings Brady has, so if he wants to be the GOAT, he'll need to have a year or two without Brady to claim all the records for himself.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/_lamerg/status/1191799686652448768?s=21

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Cam has a year left on his deal. Why would we cut him? He is cheap to keep and should be 100% healthy next year. Do we think he is soured on the team? Panthers have really worked hard to get him protection and weapons the past few years. They haven’t all worked out (Matt Kalil), but CMC, Samuel, Moton, DJ Moore, and Greg Little were all 1st and 2nd rounders, and Paradis was our big free agent signing this past year. Norv’s offense also was meant to get the ball out faster and let playmakers make plays instead of relying on Cam. So it isn’t like the Panthers have continued to gently caress with Cam’s career.

But probably too little too late at this point since he hasn’t been healthy since 2016.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

He is cheap to keep and should be 100% healthy next year.

No to both of those.

20 million non guaranteed, and Cam isn't known to be a rehab warrior.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
If Cam is gone and Ron Rivera is not, I will have a very hard time remaining a Panthers fan.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

If Cam is gone and Ron Rivera is not, I will have a very hard time remaining a Panthers fan.

If we're rolling with a QB to be developed you probably want Norv in the driver's seat of the offense. I could definitely live with it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

three posted:

I cheered through a 1 and 15 season and a Jimmy Clausen season. I wont be gone, but gently caress its gonna be depressing without Cam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Hopefully! Maybe even 2 or 3

I assume he's going to want to outlast Brady because if I were him, I would want to go to whatever age Brady goes to, and Brady is a couple of years older than Brees. Brees doesn't have all the rings Brady has, so if he wants to be the GOAT, he'll need to have a year or two without Brady to claim all the records for himself.

Im a huge Drew Brees homer but noway he gets GOAT unless he goes on like a 4 straight SB win stretch and does something insane like have a 9 TD game

MJBuddy posted:

Matty Ice is already a light QB!

I dont know what order they came out in but there is a Natural Ice beer that is the full version compared to Natural Light.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Barudak posted:

Im a huge Drew Brees homer but noway he gets GOAT unless he goes on like a 4 straight SB win stretch and does something insane like have a 9 TD game

What animal do I have to sacrifice to get this

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

What animal do I have to sacrifice to get this

The dirtiest bird you can find.

three
Aug 9, 2007

waah posted:

I cheered through a 1 and 15 season and a Jimmy Clausen season. I wont be gone, but gently caress its gonna be depressing without Cam.

If you're rebuilding, do it with a new HC.

Ron Rivera is the coach that coaches to consistently beat bad to average teams, and can't beat anyone competent that actually prepares for the Panthers. He got a couple of Ws over good teams thanks to Cam in spite of coaching.

I hope the Saints are still fighting for playoff seeding so Payton can embarass him and force Teppers hand at end of season.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rivera is a nfc championship winning hc

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ron Rivera ain't a bad HC. Is it time to move on? Maybe, I dunno, but he deserves another job if he wants it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rivera's baby is the defense, and every single thing I've ever read about him complements how insanely well the team executes his defense. It is a completely boring, unimaginative defense that relies on winning one on one battles and having one of the three best linebackers in nfl history, but it's incredibly well coached and executed.

The problem with Rivera is how he approaches the game from the other side of the ball. He sees the offense as a compliment to the defense and a way to keep his defenders off the field and rested. he wants to control the clock, be in third and manageable, etc. The offensive game has passed him by and he refuses to adjust to it.

There are several examples of this. When Ron was a player, a two TD lead in the third quarter was basically game over. QBs weren't good enough yet and defenses could just murder people and it made throwing the ball to come back just not worth it. There was a gentleman's agreement in this era where if you got up like that, both teams would just run out the clock and that would be it. Ron still approaches football like this and it's infuriating. Every single Panther fan will tell you Ron refuses to put teams away. He is fine with a three and out and a punt if it takes 2:00 off the clock in the third quarter. He wants his defenses to win games in the late third and fourth quarter, instead of just playing keep away with his offense.

And I don't need to tell you guys that the nfl has been nerfing defense for over a decade, and all the power now rests with the offense. He's just incredibly resistant to change in this regard.

I don't trust Ron rivera to build another offensive philosophy. He doesn't understand the other side of the ball and has proven he never will. It has nothing to do with the individual players. It's just Ron's approach to the game that infects the offensive side of the ball and poisons everything.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Atlanta and Carolina should just switch head coaches.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Atlanta and Carolina should just switch head coaches.

Carolina should just promote Chase Blackburn and let the chips fall where they may

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Barudak posted:

What if he took below-market deals for another decade while being paid under the table so that his team essential gets to play with 120% of the salary cap

three
Aug 9, 2007

Metapod posted:

Cam Newton is an NFC Championship winning QB that carried Ron Rivera.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

waah posted:

Same :(

three posted:

Cam Newton is an NFC Championship winning QB that carried Ron Rivera.

If Carolina makes it to the playoffs this year (and we won't), it will be on the back of CMC, not because of anything Ron does.

Is it fair to say that the only real difference between John Fox and Rivera is that Rivera has had better talent than Fox did? My memory may be leaving out details, but thinking back to the Fox years, it doesn't seem THAT different from now. I even feel like I get frustrated at Rivera's Panthers in almost the same way I did with Fox's.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

If Brady retires this year (I assume in shame after getting blown out by the Saints in the Super Bowl), and Brees plays another couple years, he'll have like all the good QB records to himself for a while.

I mean, super bowl wins, whatever, team sport anybody can play for the Pats a bunch of years while they channel the dark magic of bill belichick

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shinji2015 posted:

Same :(

If Carolina makes it to the playoffs this year (and we won't), it will be on the back of CMC, not because of anything Ron does.

Is it fair to say that the only real difference between John Fox and Rivera is that Rivera has had better talent than Fox did? My memory may be leaving out details, but thinking back to the Fox years, it doesn't seem THAT different from now. I even feel like I get frustrated at Rivera's Panthers in almost the same way I did with Fox's.

Ron has his issues for sure, but he's not as bad as Fox when it comes to playing conservative and nursing a lead and refusing to start young players. I know it's become a bit of a joke but Riverboat Ron became a thing for a reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

If Brady retires this year (I assume in shame after getting blown out by the Saints in the Super Bowl), and Brees plays another couple years, he'll have like all the good QB records to himself for a while.

I mean, super bowl wins, whatever, team sport anybody can play for the Pats a bunch of years while they channel the dark magic of bill belichick

Records are good but I think your average person is swayed by championships especially for a marquee, team face player.

That said of course I want Drew to be in contention for GOAT and ideally if he could have a 9 touchdown game on the seahawks so it becomes impossible to play the beastmode game without that queued up with it thatd be great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Records are good but I think your average person is swayed by championships especially for a marquee, team face player.

That said of course I want Drew to be in contention for GOAT and ideally if he could have a 9 touchdown game on the seahawks so it becomes impossible to play the beastmode game without that queued up with it thatd be great.

If we're exorcising some bad-loss demons, the best playoff run would be Brees dominating the Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings and then Jags in the Super Bowl.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Ron has his issues for sure, but he's not as bad as Fox when it comes to playing conservative and nursing a lead and refusing to start young players. I know it's become a bit of a joke but Riverboat Ron became a thing for a reason.

Riverboat Ron came from a sarcastic name because the Panthers had a ton of games where they punted from the 45, refused to go for it in fourth and goal from the 1, etc and writers like Bill Barnwell kept mocking them for it. Someone on Rivera's staff showed him the articles and he listened and went for it and had great success because Cam Newton is pretty good at rushing for 1 yard and they started sarcastically referring to him by that name.

He's very conservative at heart

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
No one is going to consider brees the goat because he threw a bunch of yards in 7 win seasons.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

If we're exorcising some bad-loss demons, the best playoff run would be Brees dominating the Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings and then Jags in the Super Bowl.

But that means they didn’t get a bye. :(

Beating the Rams would be much more satisfying than beating the Vikings. We already did that before.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Drew Brees won't ever be considered a top 5 QB of all time. Maybe sneak into the top 10.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And when Ron would sit on a lead but go down late in the 4th, Cam got to run a no-huddle offense and he was pretty dang good at it.

Fox and Rivera are both horrible at red flag challenges.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

No one is going to consider brees the goat because he threw a bunch of yards in 7 win seasons.

Thats like half of Drew's seasons, though. Also Paytons coaching record is basically do three years getting either 11 or 13 wins, slam back to 7-9 for a few seasons, repeat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think Ron does a pretty okay job at finding decent people to work for him and letting them do their thing. I definitely would not put him in the lower tier of coaches, just comfortably in the middle, maybe a bit above average.

The bigger issue is having a new owner and that new owner wanting to take a more actively involved role with the team. Pretty much the first step of that would be bringing in your own people, which is why the decision could already be made at this moment. The whole missing the playoffs thing is a good rationale but it's more about the future of the team

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thats like half of Drew's seasons, though. Also Paytons coaching record is basically do three years getting either 11 or 13 wins, slam back to 7-9 for a few seasons, repeat.

Yes that's why neither have been considered the best at their position in any year despite being amazing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1192508326317350912?s=20

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

So is Dan Quinn.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

see how funny would it have been if that fumble out of bounds reverted to the Bucs. Would be awesome and a nice prize for Devin White's extra effort there

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Drew Brees won't ever be considered a top 5 QB of all time. Maybe sneak into the top 10.

If he wins at least one more SB and retires with all the passing records, I disagree. Brady and Montana will fight for top two but with the rings and records Brees makes top 5 easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MJBuddy posted:

Riverboat Ron came from a sarcastic name because the Panthers had a ton of games where they punted from the 45, refused to go for it in fourth and goal from the 1, etc and writers like Bill Barnwell kept mocking them for it. Someone on Rivera's staff showed him the articles and he listened and went for it and had great success because Cam Newton is pretty good at rushing for 1 yard and they started sarcastically referring to him by that name.

He's very conservative at heart

He is, but still less so than Fox who would have punted in pretty much every one of those situations, and continued doing so, forever, no matter how much evidence he was presented.