Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
British culture is our attachment to the NHS.

EDIT: 1991 is when the Soviet Union dissolved and galaxy brains decided this meant politics was solved forever.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jesus Tess, who did you piss off this time?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A little birdy told me it was not paid for.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

A little birdy told me it was not paid for.

Can't believe that VideoGames would oppress you like this with such blatant propaganda

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Lmao I see the spine fund is getting some donations today :allears:

Agreed on the “don’t give John Mann oxygen” post, he’s a oval office, gently caress him.

Tesseraction posted:

The poll of polls is interesting at the moment https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/oct/31/uk-general-election-2019-poll-tracker

Labour rising (as per 2017) while the Tories are plateauing. Currently a hint (but nothing solid) that their polls are starting to bundle a little bit at the lower end, pulling them to plateau and potentially signalling a downturn.

Depends on how many more car-crash interviews we can give them.

Polling is poo poo even if it looks good remember people!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hehe, I just wanted to witness Miftan saying the same thing back to Tess. I admit, it was me :)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Polling is poo poo and all the trackers make no allowance for horribly biased/clearly insane ones. As laughable as the 538 style stuff is, at least they try to weight polls in their trackers by soundness of methodology and political bias. Nobody is bothered to try that hard this side of the pond.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

VideoGames posted:

Hehe, I just wanted to witness Miftan saying the same thing back to Tess. I admit, it was me :)

Glad I could rise to this mod challenge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now begins the arms race of who finally caves and gives me a new one so they don't have to see nude farage as they try and scroll past my post.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My avatar is my identity, I don't know how you people swap them so much

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Tesseraction posted:

Now begins the arms race of who finally caves and gives me a new one so they don't have to see nude farage as they try and scroll past my post.

God bless the tiny avatars on awful app

E: ^

There is no Naptime, only Gapes

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

team overhead smash posted:

Can anyone clarify; I know 34 of Johnson's new hospitals are purely hypothetical designs but of the remaining 6 how many are actual new hospitals and how many are extensions/rebuilds of existing hospitals?

Private Eye did a bit on this two issues ago. At work atm, so cant check it out.
If I remember, will post it later, or if anyone can get access to theirs they can post it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Nah, I will not have anyone pay for something I did :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

I have the ultimate weapon in that battle. It's called the Ignore button.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Glad I could rise to this mod challenge.

our avs will converge and it'll be a choc orange over nigel's nads

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Ratjaculation posted:

Spoken like someone needing a "beans up the backside" avatar

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

My switch to Moogle Marx was considered for some time, given I'd used the same Dave grohl avatar I had previously for about 12 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

freedom! although now I have the avatar with incongruous pinktext

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

Polling is poo poo and all the trackers make no allowance for horribly biased/clearly insane ones. As laughable as the 538 style stuff is, at least they try to weight polls in their trackers by soundness of methodology and political bias. Nobody is bothered to try that hard this side of the pond.

I just don't think any polling can cope in the current climate because the political climate has changed so completely since 2015.

However one thing does stick in my mind from the fiasco of the last polls, which was someone saying traditionally if polls underestimate the vote for a party in one election they'll tend to overestimate it in the next because the pollsters change their models to try and make the last result fit their polls. This is (genuinely) bad for Jeremy Corbyn, if true.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

freedom! although now I have the avatar with incongruous pinktext

Whoops. Missed that bit off. Man, who would give me powers on this site, of all places.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

you wield an iron fist / we're no longer pissed

flaps

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ratjaculation posted:

Yea I appreciate good username / avatar synergy like yours, and like Tess used to have with the actual tesseract av :mad:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Couldn't taste any worse tbh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

Godammt I can never eat a Terry's again :negative:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

:yeshaha:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

It's not Terry's, it's Mine Nige

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bwahahaha, Osbourne sticking the daggers into Javid:

quote:

Number 11 is doing a heroic job trying to restrain its neighbours, but they too want to spend more. In an echo of his shadow, Sajid Javid announced today his own £100 billion “fund” for a “decade of renewal”.

That’s code for higher capital spending — on the grounds that one-off commitments to roads and hospital buildings can be turned off more quickly than recurring spending on things like welfare and staffing.

All this borrowing by the Tories further shatters the fiscal rules that Philip Hammond established to constrain Theresa May, so his successor is proposing new rules ...

Why are the Conservatives going through these contortions?

Because they want to borrow more, while preserving their dividing line with Labour.

The risk is that they blur a distinction that should be clear: yes the Tories want to spend billions more; but Labour want to spend a great deal more billions than that. That’s the real choice.

What isn’t a choice is that the ordinary taxpayer will pick up the bill. Because all borrowing is just higher taxes deferred.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The gatekeeping in the Jewish community looks exhausting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

The gatekeeping in the Jewish community looks exhausting.

Only if you want to interact with them in any way. I don't, so no bother.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A few reasons - until very recently DC motors were much more easily throttle-able than AC, an important consideration for short-distance systems. Also if you're stringing up naked cables all over the place in close proximity to humans you want low(er) voltage for safety, so the advantages of AC evaporate. Pus I *think* (but I'm not entirely sure) that regenerative braking on AC systems is, if not impossible, extremely tricky, so you're wasting an awful lot of energy in a system with frequent stops.
Ah, yeah, that makes perfect sense for the throttling. If you want to properly throttle an induction motor without gears you need a variable frequency drive, and if you have a variable frequency drive it doesn't matter if your line's DC (but it does mean you need massive rectifiers).

The nice thing is that an induction motor with a VFD is trivial to do regen braking on, whereas shunt wound DC motors are pretty hard to do regen on. You can make them brake easily, but making them brake and produce a voltage higher than the line so it can feed back in is the hard bit, so they tended to go with just dumping the motor output into a massive resistor (rheostatic braking), which along with brushes and a bad torque curve makes them suck a bit.

DC lines and trains with AC motors with VFDs would be the best option I guess, which I think the London underground has been moving to since the mid 90s when big thyristors started coming on the market.

Edison was a dick posted:

British culture is our attachment to the NHS.

EDIT: 1991 is when the Soviet Union dissolved and galaxy brains decided this meant politics was solved forever.
Cultural identity as attachment to Universal Basic Services and Common Ground Trusts and stuff sounds very New Soviet and I am very on board.

Miftan posted:

Bit antisemitic :v:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

Can anyone clarify; I know 34 of Johnson's new hospitals are purely hypothetical designs but of the remaining 6 how many are actual new hospitals and how many are extensions/rebuilds of existing hospitals?

All six are just refurbs. No new ground will be broken for a totally new hospital anywhere.

Also:

https://twitter.com/tomescritt/status/1192444778547421184

"Corbyn, say nothing if you're Stalin!"
"HE'S STALIN EVERYONE"

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

jabby posted:

All six are just refurbs. No new ground will be broken for a totally new hospital anywhere.

Also:

"HE'S STALIN EVERYONE"

Stalinsayswhat????

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

I usually swap every couple of years. I might treat myself at Christmas, I've had this one for a while.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Corbyn Stalin thing is playing out exactly how the tories want. They've got a regular brigade of people justifying it for the extremely online tories, but for everyone else they're just gonna see 'Tory MP called Corbyn Stalin' on the news with no further explanation and go 'yeah he is isnt he!!'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Miftan posted:

It just looks like you can be the most stereotypical Jew in the world and spend 99% of your time interacting and participating in Jewish circles but mention that you're not in favour of the Occupation of Palestine and have people tell you "Ah, but you're not really one of us, are you?"

Then you get white protestant dickheads who will believe all the most stereotypical poo poo but they'll believe in the right of Israel to carpet bomb with white phosphorous and there will be people saying "Finally, a Jewish representative."

It seems utterly deflating.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

This is why I have kirby as my 'posting brand'. Can always put a new kirby picture up. I love changing my avatar regularly but the kirby always stays :D

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Miftan posted:

The Corbyn Stalin thing is playing out exactly how the tories want. They've got a regular brigade of people justifying it for the extremely online tories, but for everyone else they're just gonna see 'Tory MP called Corbyn Stalin' on the news with no further explanation and go 'yeah he is isnt he!!'

I disagree. Most people who hear it are gonna be saying "what the gently caress is a kulak".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Also:

"HE'S STALIN EVERYONE"
Someone shouted "Jew" across the street at me a few months ago as I was walking to the shops. I didn't react so I guess that makes me part of the Jewish community now.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I usually swap every couple of years. I might treat myself at Christmas, I've had this one for a while.

Ratty has upgraded a few times, including his current weight gain and the time someone killed him :(

If anyone has any ideas on how to Labour-ise him, let me know

VideoGames posted:

This is why I have kirby as my 'posting brand'. Can always put a new kirby picture up. I love changing my avatar regularly but the kirby always stays :D

I instantly dislike kirby because he was so overpowered in the original SSB, it's been hard for me to look past that and like you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remind me where yours is from again? One Piece? I can't even remember if it's a man or woman hugging that poor... lion... dog... reindeer?