Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ghostlight posted:

sorry modellers, back to the drawing board on this character - their hair doesn't look good in this one scene we've already blocked and rendered.

I wonder why Chris is so laser focused on accurate hair simulation?

e: throwback cat tax

Toops fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

CIG monthly report posted:

QA
QA started learning

Early days

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

QA
QA started learning the subsumption visualizer to better debug cinematic cutscenes and player-NPC interactions. They began creating new cinematic-focused test suites that will help them check cutscenes are playing correctly in the editor. Testing of the game’s various wild lines continued and documentation was made to explain how these cutscenes should be tested going forward. Further improvements to usables went into game-dev, which will be tested to ensure the correct animations are being used and that the AI is using them appropriately. These new usables will eventually be added to the PU, where they will become part of the team’s regular social AI testing.

"The Narrative Team continued its progress on tackling the in-game text"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

Wow, that's some complicated-sounding poo poo that equates to work real game developers don't even mention because it's the basic foundation of making a game!

But how does it translate into a fun experience for the player? Can I have that info too, CIG, so I can imagine how the game will play?

gently caress you, no! This is not a game - it's a money-stealing machine powered by dreams!

CIG steals from people by stealing technology concepts from real game developers and failing to implement them. It's a hell of a trick - it's like getting rich in the old west by falling off stagecoaches and getting run over by steam locomotives. I'm not sure whether to point and laugh at the ineptitude and absurdity of it all, or to be soberly impressed by the fact that year after year, it's working, and shows no signs of slowing down.

Chris Roberts, you are truly the Thief of our Times.

Lmao, patting themselves on the back for implementing A*

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen Monthly Report October 2019
...This approach is based on a non-canonical A* implementation that uses the signed distance field (SDF) to incrementally compute a path in a 3D environment.

No idea what non canonical means here, it’s either A* or it’s not. But signed distance fields... SDF is just a stored value of a function which takes a position as an input, and outputs the distance from that position to the nearest part of a shape. Usually used for graphics effects or rendering. But either way ... their work is to make it so that the path finding considers how close to nearby objects the path is, a basic requirement for any path finding system. Clown shoes all the way down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

G0RF posted:

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!

It’s sounds like somebody’s ready to Answer The Call.

(It’s great to see you pop back in!)

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1075855948307034113

Think about it. MORE CASH EQUALS MORE WEAPONS!

SC really is the weirdest MLM scheme ever

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I just want to know what is "locally exported object container". Is that like locally produced vegetables or something?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Toops posted:

I wonder why Chris is so laser focused on accurate hair simulation?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

FAKE!

As if Chris would ever not be wearing a black top.

Your FUD - Denied!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kosumo posted:

FAKE!

As if Chris would ever not be wearing a black top.

Your FUD - Denied!

FUDenied!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Is it me, or does it seem like the True Star Citizens are getting crazier lately?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Is it me, or does it seem like the True Star Citizens are getting crazier lately?

Not lately, no.
They've been getting crazier from day one, and that was seven years ago.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dreadwroth2 posted:

As the cult is losing its members, the average craziness might increase, because they are mostly losing weaker believers/less crazy people?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mmmm you gotta point there.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Just like werewolves and wives have a lunar cycle that drives them crazy, true citizens have a citizencon cycle, where the closer it gets to the big con of the year, the more crazy they become.

After the con, full of hype based on the bullshit they were fed during the con, they enter into an orgy spending on whatever CR is selling at the con.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dreadwroth2 posted:

the crazy has always been there.
It just is that with smaller population it has become more prominent. This however doesn't mean that money flow has become smaller, the unhinged part of community seems to be the part that is most invested in the project.
That is if the funding tracker is accurate.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dreadwroth2 posted:

When you pile dreams upon dreams for years you can go very high.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Desperation.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dreadwroth2 posted:

For the last 7 years they have been throwing money at Star Citizen to start development, with nothing to show for it. Year after year, con after con, dollar after dollar. They keep on pledging. They keep on giving. Yet every time the result is a disappointment.

... have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jesus, that thread.

Reality is really going to bite hard for some people i think. There is all sorts of theorycrafting going on as to what systems will be included. Outside of cutscenes, it will probably just be standard cryengine maps sealed off from each other. Possible via a space map where you "fly" between locations and cutscenes showing you jumping between "systems"

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 7, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kikas posted:

Paying $10 for access to a forum just to shitpost about a computer game?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Paying $10 for access to a forum just to shitpost about a computer game?

Just to shitpost? No, I just tack that on to my regular posting, which is also poo poo :smuggo:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Kikas posted:

For the last 7 years they have been throwing money at Star Citizen to start development, with nothing to show for it. Year after year, con after con, dollar after dollar. They keep on pledging. They keep on giving. Yet every time the result is a disappointment.

Maybe a new branch of cuckolds has formed?

GameCucks?

Definition: Achieving intense sexual arousal when teased and taunted by their game being inaccessible and played first by others (because they are poor betas unable to pay for evocati and deserve to be humiliated)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:chloe:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Imagine ERP-ing in SC with those dumb FOIP faces and all those glitching body parts.

Edit: actually, don't

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Imagine ERP-ing in SC with those dumb FOIP faces and all those glitching body parts.

Edit: actually, don't

Didn't catch your edit.
You owe me a new brain.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Anyone know how to make a deep fake? A "leaked" keynote rehearsal would be jokes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The weird part is, they're right - CIG is constantly working on lots of stuff that isn't on the roadmap. Look at the minelaying and interdiction ships - those were both intentional surprises. This has the net result of making the roadmap completely unreliable and pointless, as it just has a bunch of boring stuff that never moves because it's just not where the focus of development is (sellable ships).

There's no excuse for the SQ42 roadmap though, particularly the missions. They are hosed there, it's clear there's huge holdups keeping anything from progressing.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 7, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Part of me hopes Microsoft buys CIG out and kicks Chris off to LAX again, and somehow release a kind of fun game 3 years later after cutting off all the design creep.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Part of me hopes Microsoft buys CIG out and kicks Chris off to LAX again, and somehow release a kind of fun game 3 years later after cutting off all the design creep.

No, the backers do not deserve a game. This must all end in ashes.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
It'd be funnier for me that both games get released, and are just incredibly bad :lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

[img]https://i.imgur.com/dudkqnh.png][/img]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Look, you have to agree to this before Chris lets you give him money!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

But I thought Chris made a pledge? (Page of promise to reshure the backer that it was not a scam - and also to aggravate Derek Smart)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The script (or part of it) leaked years ago. I haven't read it but Chris only knows one story: the brown hordes are at the gates of the glorious empire and one rag tag group of heroes must save the day using the power of shooting things. But oh no. There's a secret wormhole right next to Earth.

Mentioning the script reminds me though... Remember that time Chris went up on the convention stage with a great big stack of paper and dropped it down with a huge proud smile? And then some poor lackey had to pick it up afterwards. Very hollyhood. I wonder if anyone has a GIF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Quavers posted:

It'd be funnier for me that both games get released, and are just incredibly bad :lol:

I'm almost certain that is what's going to happen, basically the Shroud of the Avatar scenario.