Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Doesn't that make your house smell awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Honestly I want to see how people who "didn't cook" lived throughout history.

Show me what depressed pieces of poo poo who gave up on cooking ate in the 1800s.

If anything there was probably more people who didn't cook in ancient times than now because it was cheaper to go to your local trattoria than have an apartment with a kitchen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

People look fondly upon the 50's-70's, but I'm glad I didn't have to live with "pizza" like that

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alhazred posted:

If anything there was probably more people who didn't cook in ancient times than now because it was cheaper to go to your local trattoria than have an apartment with a kitchen.

In most Roman cities you literally weren't allowed to cook. No fires inside apartment buildings. A frequently violated law, but a law nevertheless. They didn't have kitchens at all but you couldn't really stop people using candles/oil lamps. You got your bread by bringing grain to the baker and then picking up your loaves, rest of the food you'd buy at street vendors or bars/restaurants.

Hong Kong is a reasonable modern parallel. Apartments are so small that many barely have a kitchen, and even if you do have one it's probably like a hot plate and ten centimeters of counter space, so people eat out the majority of the time. In a lot of Asia it's actually cheaper to eat out than cook at home anyway, so it's way more common to do that than the US thing of viewing a restaurant meal as a special occasion.

I love cooking and I still probably ate out 2/3 of the time in China to save money. Also Sichuan food is the poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Iron Crowned posted:

People look fondly upon the 50's-70's, but I'm glad I didn't have to live with "pizza" like that

My mom made that a few times as a kid in the 70s. Not that brand, but similar with the bag of dough mix and cans of sauce. She'd add toppings though, not just leave it a sad 'cheese' pizza. Had a sort of flat biscuit like crust. Not great, not terrible. At least it wasn't served with a side of rubbery frozen, limp canned, or boiled until grey vegetables.

At the time frozen pizzas also had a flat biscuit style crust. Rising crust frozen pizzas didn't show up until later.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Facebook Aunt posted:

My mom made that a few times as a kid in the 70s. Not that brand, but similar with the bag of dough mix and cans of sauce. She'd add toppings though, not just leave it a sad 'cheese' pizza. Had a sort of flat biscuit like crust. Not great, not terrible. At least it wasn't served with a side of rubbery frozen, limp canned, or boiled until grey vegetables.

At the time frozen pizzas also had a flat biscuit style crust. Rising crust frozen pizzas didn't show up until later.

I made the direct descendant of this product often in the 90's. The parmasan cheese topping was not horrible but not enough, would add shredded cheese. It just isn't a firm enough crust to be anything other than fork and knife squares. Every part of it tastes off from normal pizza, so the whole thing is pretty different.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

special Italian spices like oregano

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

kru posted:

Doesn't that make your house smell awful

We only cook salmon in it so it doesn't cause an issue.
We've been warned not to put smoked fish in it as it makes a smell and permanently taints the plastic

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

uber_stoat posted:

victorian Britain had tons of street food in the cities. they didn't have to cook if they didn't want to.

hope you like jellied eels.

https://www.victorianlondon.org/food/lightrefreshments.htm

The best part of this is the English bitching that things aren't English anymore

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I tried jellied eels once and I actually kinda liked it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eels are great.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smoked eel is far superior

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Northern Ireland has a big eel-based market, to the point where our eels have protected status within the EU and there's an entire industry based on shipping crates of live eels to the rest of the EU where people actually want to eat them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don’t have any difficulty conceptually with eating eels

Just ... given the vast panoply of options, why would you collectively choose to eat them — like that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ll have the creamed steak, with a side of potatoes in sand sauce

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, I'd eat an eel. it's just a fish. it's the jellied part that I take issue with.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

spankmeister posted:

Smoked eel is far superior

Correct.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Yeah, eel is the best sushi. I just wish they'd find a way to make it more sustainable because we sure as gently caress aren't going to stop eating it.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Unagi bowls are better than beef bowls. Fight me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They just have so much more blood than other fish. So much blood.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

uber_stoat posted:

victorian Britain had tons of street food in the cities. they didn't have to cook if they didn't want to.

hope you like jellied eels.

https://www.victorianlondon.org/food/lightrefreshments.htm

"A favourite "dish" at these establishments is a kind of batter pudding. When you have your penny slice of this in a piece of paper the assistant pours over it a spoonful of the gravy in which the remains of a loin of pork are standing. Why the gravy does not run over on to the floor I cannot say. I only know that it does not. When the batter pudding client comes out into the street with his light refreshment in his hand and commences to eat it the gravy is there still."

:iiam:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

"A favourite "dish" at these establishments is a kind of batter pudding. When you have your penny slice of this in a piece of paper the assistant pours over it a spoonful of the gravy in which the remains of a loin of pork are standing. Why the gravy does not run over on to the floor I cannot say. I only know that it does not. When the batter pudding client comes out into the street with his light refreshment in his hand and commences to eat it the gravy is there still."

:iiam:

it's a somewhat vague description of yorkshire pudding, commonly served alongside roasts

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's a somewhat vague description of yorkshire pudding, commonly served alongside roasts

But why does the gravy not run over on to the floor?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Because it’s bowl shaped.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Facebook Aunt posted:

He cannot say. Must be some Victorian magicks at play.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is the Will of the Batter Pudding Client that it does not.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Pastry of the Year posted:

It is the Will of the Batter Pudding Client that it does not.

Beef tongue is delicious. That looks gross as gently caress.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

sexpig by night posted:

Tbh the worst part is probably there's no way the dumpling itself won't become a gummy mess, the filling is fine.

Could it perhaps be deep fried?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Please don't eat eel at all. They are really going extinct. Stocks have dropped more than 99% since the 1980s.

"Farmed" eels are wild caught as small fry, and are just as unsustainable as wild caught eel.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Please don't post pictures of my upcoming lunch, time traveler.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure does look like it came up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/TillamookDairy/status/1192169783782989834?s=20

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

would

i love squash

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Iron Crowned posted:

They were a part of my childhood in the 80s, and are still around. The pepperoni pieces were the size of a penny.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Iron Crowned posted:

they still make that kit. when i was a lad in the 1980s my mother kept the nursery at church every wednesday night, and my dad would make 2 of these for us. in my memory they were delicious and every now and then i think about buying the kit and making them again but i never do. i think the last time i had them was 1989/1990 or so, but they still make 'em.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don't really like squash but otherwise would.

Hell, last weekend I made nachos with mozzarella and banana peppers.

big trivia FAIL posted:

they still make that kit. when i was a lad in the 1980s my mother kept the nursery at church every wednesday night, and my dad would make 2 of these for us. in my memory they were delicious and every now and then i think about buying the kit and making them again but i never do. i think the last time i had them was 1989/1990 or so, but they still make 'em.

I can't say I've ever seen that kit, what moonbase are you living on?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

They were a part of my childhood in the 80s, and are still around. The pepperoni pieces were the size of a penny.

Were those the pepperonis that,when you baked them, curled up into tough little red bowls of grease?

Because yeah, they were objectively awful but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pastry of the Year posted:

Were those the pepperonis that,when you baked them, curled up into tough little red bowls of grease?

Because yeah, they were objectively awful but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about.