Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I am pretty disappointed in the lack of split counties. If there were problems with them interfering with certain achievements, couldn't you solve that by changing the achievement criteria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the Kingdom of Sardinia in 2019, still unable to form Italia because I don't want to mess with the Pope and his one goddam church

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm the Kingdom of Sardinia in 2019

How long did that take you?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Friar John posted:

I am pretty disappointed in the lack of split counties. If there were problems with them interfering with certain achievements, couldn't you solve that by changing the achievement criteria?

It's not just achievements though. There are a couple of decisions to form specific realms that require you control everything in a region.

To give an example from my first full playthrough, when I wanted to form Outremmer it was very frustrating to go to war with the HRE for one county, only to find after I won that, thanks to a Tyranny revolt that started after I declared war, one of the holdings in the county didn't transfer to me because the baron was technically a vassal of a different realm.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 7, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There has never been anything interesting about some dumbfuck count in the HRE owning a barony in a county in Sicily you own. It's just annoying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i really struggle to think of a situation where having an expat barony caused interesting friction or whatever in any of my games

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The dev added:

quote:

To add a few things to the barony discussion. As stated already, baronies will always be considered to be a part of a county. However, we do have a concept of leasing baronies to other rulers, such as Holy Orders. This effectively gives them control of the holding along with the income it generates, without it "leaving" your realm.
That probably covers most of the interesting reasons to have split baronies without the annoying parts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It'd be interesting if there was some kind of wacky multiple-allegiance system purposefully built to make it interesting. That's what it adds up to I think. There are probably a number of other ways to solve the issue, but this one seems like the simplest.

I liked the idea of a county improving over time if you prospered enough, but a lot of that was how it's such a hassle to switch capitals and lose all your technology progress and maybe even lose that sunk cost into building up your castle.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sindai posted:

The dev added:

That probably covers most of the interesting reasons to have split baronies without the annoying parts.

Yeah that works pretty well. The one other case I can see that this doesn't handle would be republics owning cities without owning the parent county, but I could see them maybe making an exception for that as well.

Also I like border gore because it best represents the weird situations feudal contracts created but I realize that makes me chaotic evil in the paradox map game spectrum so that's fine

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i like bordergore with counties (exclave excluded) and so on but baronies is where i draw the line. at a certain point possession is nine tenths of the law, man.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
What's the easiest nation to go Germanic reform?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huskalator posted:

form Sweden, subjugate Denmark, and conquer/use a Chancellor to get a claim on the holy site in Norway

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Huskalator posted:

Sweden...in 1066. :twisted:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Huskalator posted:

Earliest start date is probably Sweden with Sigurd, Viking age is Norway with Harald Fairhair. Denmark is good in both time periods but the other two are powerful characters.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm trying to do the Welsh Monarch's Journey task. One of the provinces i need to control is "Glywysing", but that's not on the map that I can see - is it one of those that the name changes based on who owns it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrPop posted:

I'm trying to do the Welsh Monarch's Journey task. One of the provinces i need to control is "Glywysing", but that's not on the map that I can see - is it one of those that the name changes based on who owns it?

I don't know off the top of my head but it probably is since there's a lot of that in the British Isles - if you search for it in the title search window it should be able to find it regardless of what the current name is.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know off the top of my head but it probably is since there's a lot of that in the British Isles - if you search for it in the title search window it should be able to find it regardless of what the current name is.

Hmmm nope, not showing up there. Maybe a typo then?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DrPop posted:

It's in Wales.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Huh, in my game that's labeled as Morgannwg or something even under a Welsh ruler.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

DrPop posted:

This one?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

To simplify, you just need to control all of Wales' de jure counties except for Cornwall and the one next to it. Devon, I think.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Huskalator posted:

If you can be a Norse Germanic king tier ruler, you can ask all the counts to vassalise, and they will. This should get you all but any Jarls in the North. You can be a dick and force vassalize on them. I've personally managed to reform Germanic in 10 years, but I don't remember how I got the piety. In the 769 start, Denmark and Sweden are the easiest. Denmark already has all the land, they just need the gold and piety to form kingdom. Saxony can work, but you need to make sure Francia explodes and to have the two Charlemanges die so they never get claims on Saxony. Then you only need 2 other sites. Frisia for Zeeland, or the 3 in the north, as you will have 1 with Irmusil. Saxony does not get the advantage of being able to just ask Norse counts for vassalage, nor do they get the benefit of the Viking Age event firing off with new cassus belli and free ports.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Huskalator posted:

Im doing Sigurd 'Snake-in-the-eye' start on the old gods date, is easy. Maybe his brothers are even easier, since they start with event troops (I think),l but Sigurd is easy enough

You start as the duke of that capital duchy in Denmark. I immediately ate that other independent duchy (Jinland o something) and then I had enough to form Kingdom of Denmark

After that, and raising some retinues, I was already the bigger guy in Scandinavia and could go on taking more land, while raiding in England and the Mediterranean to fill my coffer

3 of the holy sites are in Scandinavia, so they are pretty easy to control. On my 3rd ruler I formed the Empire of Scandinavia and reformed the religion. And I actually could have reformed earlier, but that germanic guy on England kept losing holy wars, which sunk MA badly

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yep, it was this one. The achievement fired when I got it. For some reason it's still labeled with that weird Morgannwg name in my game tho. Thanks everyone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One neat thing I discovered with the Jade Serpent mod is that there's a chance the rulers of Mexhica will be Norse.

Now all that's missing is a decision for early Norweigan starts to send a relative on an expedition to Vinland. Based on how good the relative is and how much you invest, there's a chance your dynasty will be the rulers when the invasion happens.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It'd be cool if in CK3 your council can demand certain extra powers (like power of the purse) after a disastrous military loss.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemur Crisis posted:

How on earth do you get 13k in debt? How much can you lose in a war?

I've seen this with pope coronation demands before. The HRE just kept waging war on me and losing over and over and plummeted into horrific debt

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Happy 100th Bday to my immortal Pictish king.

During that time, we befriended a powerful shaman and found Jesus' foreskin.

U know what they say...the first 100 are the hardest. 🥂

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Clean your borders up you piece of poo poo.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Clean your borders up you piece of poo poo.

lol it's like that cuz im the suzerain of every place in ireland + half of wales

just need to never die in combat

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 10, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Morgannwg is the name of the place in welsh.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Man Musk posted:

lol it's like that cuz im the suzerain of every place in ireland + half of wales

just need to never die in combat

He's talking about the two enclaves of Pict colour in the middle of Ireland. Are they not yours?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I only ever see those types of nation name placements in start dates. Is it a jade dragon thing? I think by now that’s the only dlc I don’t have.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Last time I became immortal the Immortal Suspicion events actually fired a lot, so half of my vassals knew I had the curse of eternal life. Being the Grandmaster of the Assassins wasn't enough to slap down all these flies that thought I was a piece of poo poo for cheating death, so I had a demon child son and let him take over after I jumped off a tower.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I only ever see those types of nation name placements in start dates. Is it a jade dragon thing? I think by now that’s the only dlc I don’t have.

there’s a bunch of alternate nation names for the earliest start date, nothing to do with jade dragon afaik.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It depends on the culture of the title holder. Not every title has alternate names, and not every culture will have a different name for any given title. For example, Brittania held by a Welsh ruler is Prydain, but held by a Mongol ruler is still Brittania.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yes, they look like that because one nation is a tributary under another, and the master's name goes over all the subject land too. It is a DLC feature of either Jade Dragon or Horse Lords, can't remember which.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yes, they look like that because one nation is a tributary under another, and the master's name goes over all the subject land too. It is a DLC feature of either Jade Dragon or Horse Lords, can't remember which.

Horse Lords. It was a nomad feature.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

All this CK3 talk made me reinstall CK2. Started as Duke of portacule in 1066 and won independence from Galicia. The war was partly funded by my Liege, who paid me 200 gold to buy a favour right before I declared war.

Unfortunately I then died of cancer and my only heir was my daughter who is in a standard marriage to one of my vassal counts. Nobody will join a plot to kill him but obviously I need to dump him so I can get an heir of my dynasty. Imprisoning and executing him will get me so much hate from my other vassals.

It's been ages since I've played so I'm a bit rusty. Current plan is to spy on him with intrigue focus to try and get something that justifies imprisonment but I'm open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Horse Lords. It was a nomad feature.

Thanks, I don’t have that one either. So you can start in a tributary relationship even if you don’t have those DLCs, you just can’t create any more once the game starts. Do they allow a way to diplo-vassalize like in Eu4? Or even then do you have to release and conquer (thinking about Epirus under the Byzantines in 867)