Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bull I really appreciate your always detailed posts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hooah posted:

The update notes for the Google Camera update I got today specifically say that Smart Burst is disabled for 3s and 3XLs. What is even going on?

Google is going all out with AI-based everything in the camera app. They're removing Smart Burst on the 2 and 3. The 3 will only rely on Top Shot and the 4 will get it officially ported over.

The P2 also loses Smart Burst but gains nothing.

Top Shot is worse than Smart Burst (according to AP's article comparing the two) and fact that Pixel 2 will have nothing is really lovely.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My Xiaomi Mi 9 installed the Android 10 update over night. Hooray for system wide Dark Mode! :toot:

Also the fingerprint reader is now faster and more reliable, and Xiaomi cleaned up the Settings screen to be considerably less stupid.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Let me get that straight, they're straight up removing a feature from the Pixel 2?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
@bull: try registering it this way. it's still not perfect but I'd say it's about 90% for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlSPwXlaXI

Also, I get cross-promo ads within the Samsung apps like Samsung Pay or Health but have never gotten notification ads. That's super weird. (Verizon)
You should also install One Hand Operation and Edge Touch (help minimize accidental edge touches) if you haven't already.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hmmxkrazee posted:

@bull: try registering it this way. it's still not perfect but I'd say it's about 90% for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlSPwXlaXI

Also, I get cross-promo ads within the Samsung apps like Samsung Pay or Health but have never gotten notification ads. That's super weird. (Verizon)
You should also install One Hand Operation and Edge Touch (help minimize accidental edge touches) if you haven't already.

The problem is I can't. If I try to do it that way all it does it tell me to press harder. It just flat out doesn't recognize my finger.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say less than 10% of my screen touches during the training process are recognized as a read, it either says to press a little harder or to make sure my whole finger covers the sensor. There seems to be a very very small patch of finger that it actually recognizes as having a fingerprint and it's completely down to the moisture content of the skin because if use lotion or lick my finger prior to touching the sensor, it has no issue at all detecting it.

It's not an ad, not in a strict sense. It's a 'helpful' notification that I should really enable this secure-wifi feature that's built into the phone that just so happens to only allow 250mb worth of data to pass through it a day before requiring payment. Just like right now I got a notification from samsung internet about how it really would love to have my passwords. I have a feeling if I just swipe this away, it's going to show up again in another 12-24 hours, but if I touch it, it may enable some feature that I don't want. All of these things need to have a "no thanks" or "not useful" as part of their notification that permanently banishes them to the dusty corners of the phone's storage instead of keeping pestering you until you interact with them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Let me get that straight, they're straight up removing a feature from the Pixel 2?

Yes. They're removing it from Pixel 3 as well but the Pixel 3 has Top Shot (which is AI-based and not as good) while the Pixel 2 will not do Top Shot and so will have nothing equivalent.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It's not an ad, not in a strict sense. It's a 'helpful' notification that I should really enable this secure-wifi feature that's built into the phone that just so happens to only allow 250mb worth of data to pass through it a day before requiring payment. Just like right now I got a notification from samsung internet about how it really would love to have my passwords. I have a feeling if I just swipe this away, it's going to show up again in another 12-24 hours, but if I touch it, it may enable some feature that I don't want. All of these things need to have a "no thanks" or "not useful" as part of their notification that permanently banishes them to the dusty corners of the phone's storage instead of keeping pestering you until you interact with them.

If it's any comfort, it's been like that for a couple of years now. Samsung Pay kept popping up on my S7 despite me dismissing it repeatedly, and it would always take a small (but annoyingly visible) portion of the home screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Falcorum posted:

If it's any comfort, it's been like that for a couple of years now. Samsung Pay kept popping up on my S7 despite me dismissing it repeatedly, and it would always take a small (but annoyingly visible) portion of the home screen.

You can actually get rid of that if you go into Samsung pay and disable the card quick access. But yeah, those sort of things should be off by default and ask you to add them when you interact with the app.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been using the Hangouts app on my phone and Hangouts on my desktop for a long time. It was great because I could make and receive calls on my desktop, and texts would go to the desktop and my phone simultaneously. At around 2:30 PM today, Hangouts stopped receiving texts on my phone, and instead they were coming through the default Android SMS app. I saw I could no longer set Hangouts as my default SMS app. That's fine, I thought - I'll just use the default app instead. I uninstalled Hangouts and set a Chrome tab on my desktop for messages.google.com. Everything was going fine for about two hours, and then suddenly I noticed I wasn't getting any more texts. So I logged onto hangouts.google.com and sure enough, they were popping up on there, but NOT on messages.google.com and more importantly, not on my phone. I can't get texts on my phone anymore. Even a restart and update didn't help. What's going on? SMS messages should be coming into my phone somewhere, right?

Edit: Reinstalled Hangouts and everything works fine again. Hangouts on my phone and desktop. I'd like to switch to the default SMS app and messages.google.com, but I'm afraid there's some hosed up setting somewhere in either Hangouts or my Google account that says "Only Hangouts can access SMS messages."

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 6, 2019

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Got the November update. On my Pixel 3. Pixel 4 still thinks October is the latest.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

The number of spammy paid apps is still in full force. I'm getting tired of dismissing notifications for "Secure-Wifi" which is a paid VPN through McAfee. I'm hoping now that I actually launched the app they will stop, but I resent having to click through another privacy agreement to do that. You can't disable the notifications for that one at a system level, of course. Nor can you disable or uninstall it. Then there's all the duplication of Google apps with Samsung apps.

I haven't had issues with spammy paid apps at all? Post-One UI, the only truly offensive thing is Bixby Home with its ads for stupid mobile games at the top. The separate store sucks too, I'll give you that.

Never seen anything about McAfee though. Is that US only? I got an Aussie one unlocked from Amazon.

Stock is still better of course but Samsung UI went from dealbreaker to second best imo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've also never seen anything like that. There were a few notifications around samsung pay (which is legit awesome) and their accounts, but I don't remember doing anything to persistently silence them and I haven't seen one in a year+.
McAfee is just what powers one part of device care, you'd be hard pressed to notice it's even so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's enough of a thing that articles were written about it.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/disable-secure-wi-fi-notification-samsung-galaxy_id115189

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

butt dickus posted:

Got the November update. On my Pixel 3. Pixel 4 still thinks October is the latest.

Only one November update per customer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

With a couple of caveats (giftcard value) the Pixel 4 will be $300 off at target for BF
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...re-for-suckers/

I've also noticed some UK carriers have dropped their new 24month contracts by £5-7 - or £120-160 off the handset value this week, though there's no equivalent BF deals announced yet.

Maybe for the pixel 5 the discounts can be announced in time for the handset reviews.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Decided with the sale, to upgrade from my OG Pixel XL to a Pixel 3a XL. After updates the fucker worked for about an hour and then the touch screen began acting like a ghost was trying to use it. It was just receiving constant false inputs even when left alone, and the screen wouldn't accept any of my input. Factory reset didn't do anything about it either.

RMA'd the thing this morning, but it was such a weird way for hardware to fail.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
People with OP7s, Pixel 4s, or other high refresh phones, what is everyone using as their browser? After getting annoyed with Chrome's lack of adblock and feeling like it's only running at 60hz due to ads, I decided to experiment. I was unsatisfied with Firefox Preview and Samsung Beta, tried out using Edge since I have it installed for Microsoft reward farming. Only 60hz. But then I realized I had the Bing app for it's daily offers and lo and behold it is a 90hz browser with adblock. So I guess that's my new default?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm using Chrome. Seems smooth and cool and Good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm using Chrome, it's fine and good.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

People with OP7s, Pixel 4s, or other high refresh phones, what is everyone using as their browser? After getting annoyed with Chrome's lack of adblock and feeling like it's only running at 60hz due to ads, I decided to experiment. I was unsatisfied with Firefox Preview and Samsung Beta, tried out using Edge since I have it installed for Microsoft reward farming. Only 60hz. But then I realized I had the Bing app for it's daily offers and lo and behold it is a 90hz browser with adblock. So I guess that's my new default?

I really liked using Kiwi since you can actually install desktop chrome extensions, and the dark mode for websites actually works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A new OneUI gripe, I hate how folders open up with a top justified full screen in the launcher. Oneplus also opens fullscreen, but it's bottom justified. For all the efforts that Samsung went through to try to make the UI workable one handed with such a large screen, this seems like a pretty massive oversight.

I always have a group of folders in the quick launch bar at the bottom of the home screen for easy access, but it seems pointless on the note10 since it pops them to the top of the screen when you open the folder.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get kiwi and ublock origin.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Kiwi was nice but not smooth. I kinda can't wait until the S11 comes with a 90hz (or even 120hz) display so the browser will be updated

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My favorite mobile browser is Vivaldi...because that's my favorite desktop browser.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Double post because I decided to test some browsers. Testing smoothness was done by going to Wikipedia and scrolling around

Chrome: 90hz but no adblock

Firefox (plus beta and preview): Adblock but 60hz

Brave: Adblock but 60hz

Opera (plus mini): Adblock but 60hz

Kiwi: Adblock but 60hz

Edge: Adblock but 60hz

Bing: Adblock, 90hz, but can't open background tabs, tab behavior is kinda wonky

Samsung Internet Beta: Adblock but 60hz

Opera Touch: Adblock, 90hz, background tabs, but the Fast Action button is kinda weird. I'll probably get used to it though. Gonna choose this for the time being

Vivaldi: 60hz :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You people should be using a pihole or algo or something to offload adblocking from your phone and thus get adblocking across all apps and whichever browser.

Sure, you have to be a nerdy nerd to set this up, but you're already reading an android thread on the internet, so i have faith in your nerdiness.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Blokada works as well, if you don't want to do (split) VPN. It runs a local VPN server to override Android's DNS crap when on a cell connection.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

You people should be using a pihole or algo or something to offload adblocking from your phone and thus get adblocking across all apps and whichever browser.

Sure, you have to be a nerdy nerd to set this up, but you're already reading an android thread on the internet, so i have faith in your nerdiness.
Are you carrying the pihole around with you or is this for people who are somehow nerds that can set that up but don't have a larger device for home browsing?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thermopyle posted:

My work WiFi blocks VPNs, but not music streaming services.

Why was the algo thread locked, anyway?

butt dickus posted:

Are you carrying the pihole around with you or is this for people who are somehow nerds that can set that up but don't have a larger device for home browsing?

Pihole acts as a DNS service. It covers all devices connecting to that router, even stuff like ads in Crunchyroll running on an xbox. If you set up openvpn or whatever you can have your phone use it anywhere.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 7, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I tried pihole a while back, it was a fun experiment but I decided just using uBlock Origin on my browser worked well enough. I also tried Blokada, DNS66, and whatever the other popular one was on my Pixel but it broke random things and I ended up only enabling it for my browser. Which at that point I figured why not just switch to a browser that natively blocks ads. Basically none of my other apps have ads, since most of my usage comes from Awful (natively ad free), Boost (bought ad free with survey money), Pocket Casts (natively ad free), and I hardly ever play games let alone ones with ads

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Set up the ad block on your phone so you actually use it all the time. All you pay for is cpu cycle/battery.

With Ublock origin, I actually can remove annoying web layout element that are not ads.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Set up the ad block on your phone so you actually use it all the time.

What does this mean?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thermopyle posted:

What does this mean?

Is this Pihole thing you use in your own home network?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why was the algo thread locked, anyway?
Lack of activity, it seems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Is this Pihole thing you use in your own home network?

Yes, but if you use it on your phone you just set up a vpn.

The other thing I mentioned, algo, is hosted on a cloud provider and also is a vpn.

Bonus of both of these is hiding your poo poo from your scummy cell provider.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

bull3964 posted:

The problem is I can't. If I try to do it that way all it does it tell me to press harder. It just flat out doesn't recognize my finger.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say less than 10% of my screen touches during the training process are recognized as a read, it either says to press a little harder or to make sure my whole finger covers the sensor. There seems to be a very very small patch of finger that it actually recognizes as having a fingerprint and it's completely down to the moisture content of the skin because if use lotion or lick my finger prior to touching the sensor, it has no issue at all detecting it.

If you have any scars that break the fingerprint at all it won't work. I cut my left pointer tip pretty bad 20 some odd years ago, and theres a tiny scar there now so ultrasonic doesn't work with that finger but capactive readers will.

Screen protectors also add issues if you have something on top of the screen. I remember when the s10 first came out I saw a few people post about this, but nothing since. Are you sure you have all the biometric updates? There's been at least 4-5 since april for the scanner, especially the newest issue which got 2 patches in the last 2 weeks.

Another trick when the first wave of phones launched with this reader was to reregister the same finger as different fingers, including a scan where you register the print upside down and at super weird off angles. Something about converging all these versions of a print gives a wider breadth of approach when you unlock.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Double post because I decided to test some browsers. Testing smoothness was done by going to Wikipedia and scrolling around

Chrome: 90hz but no adblock

Firefox (plus beta and preview): Adblock but 60hz

Brave: Adblock but 60hz

Opera (plus mini): Adblock but 60hz

Kiwi: Adblock but 60hz

Edge: Adblock but 60hz

Bing: Adblock, 90hz, but can't open background tabs, tab behavior is kinda wonky

Samsung Internet Beta: Adblock but 60hz

Opera Touch: Adblock, 90hz, background tabs, but the Fast Action button is kinda weird. I'll probably get used to it though. Gonna choose this for the time being

Vivaldi: 60hz :(

I switched from browser specific options to just using adgaurds dns server directly in android settings and it works well.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/12/29/adguard-officially-releases-its-own-dns-service-and-it-works-with-android-pie/

no 3rd party app needed, easy to turn off in settings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zer0spunk posted:

If you have any scars that break the fingerprint at all it won't work. I cut my left pointer tip pretty bad 20 some odd years ago, and theres a tiny scar there now so ultrasonic doesn't work with that finger but capactive readers will.

Screen protectors also add issues if you have something on top of the screen. I remember when the s10 first came out I saw a few people post about this, but nothing since. Are you sure you have all the biometric updates? There's been at least 4-5 since april for the scanner, especially the newest issue which got 2 patches in the last 2 weeks.

Another trick when the first wave of phones launched with this reader was to reregister the same finger as different fingers, including a scan where you register the print upside down and at super weird off angles. Something about converging all these versions of a print gives a wider breadth of approach when you unlock.

No scars, but just general fingertip dryness. I've been trying to heal my hands over the past few days and it seems to be helping somewhat, I only get about a 60% rejection now.

Yeah, I know the tricks with registering the same finger multiple times. The bigger issue I had was I have trouble getting that breadth of positions because there were only certain positions where it would recognize a finger at all. Like, I would get either "press harder" "make sure your finger is covering the whole sensor" or "be sure to move your finger around" during the registration process. It would take about 10 position attempts before it would register as something new and the percentage would go up.

The ultrasonic just doesn't like dry skin. It's something I have to keep in mind for phones moving forward if I want to buy something as a primary device. Since this Note 10+ is only for me to gently caress around with, I'm not as worried. I may pair it to some random bluetooth thing in the house so that I can just use smart unlock like I would with my watch if I was using it as my main phone.

It's funny though how much that sensor has made me appreciate the face unlock on my P4 XL. It just works, every time.

I'm traveling for business in a few weeks and I may switch over to the Note 10+ for that trip for the larger screen and battery when I'm away from home for a long period. How proficient I come with the sensor is going to help make that determination for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That sounds like a nightmare. I can't even remember the last time my Note 10+ rejected my fingerprint aside from putting it in the wrong spot but leaving the AOD on helps big with that. I guess my hands aren't that dry though.