Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have some thoughts about the vinland saga anime. i'll post them here to avoid major spoilers in the anime thread.

i'm an episode or two behind and so far i've been digging the adaptation, but in the episode corresponding to Chapter 2 I really don't agree with a change that they made.

originally when the former noble slave woman asked about what was beyond the sea, the manga went directly into the origin flashback starting with leif telling stories of his travels while wearing the headdress. wo chapters later thors gives the response about vinland to the dying slave. the flashback continues on to the death of thors, the encounter with the old english woman, directly to the siege of london. the woman's question is indirectly responded to by thors, but the actual resolution to the encounter is left lingering and no resolution to their interaction was ever shown, with the whole episode mostly forgotten after all the violence, tragedy, thirst for vengeance, etc.

of course given how they've rearranged everything to be in rough chronological order they can't do that transition any longer. it's an emotionally charged scene and the line feels really heavy, because it's supposed to lead into an explanation of the mysterious murder kid's whole deal and resonate with thors line about vinland several chapters later. leaving it hanging with no response might feel weird, so what do they do? they loving have thorfinn respond in the same way as he does to arneis in the final chapter of loving volume 13 in which he is having his epiphany near the end of farm saga, where he realizes what the point of the series is. it's an amazing line given the characters and the context, and it remains probably my favorite moment in all of manga.

the only problem is that it makes an infinite amount of sense for thorfinn to be recalling it in that moment, after he's dealt with the ennui of losing his defining motivation of vengeance, realized that he killed hundreds of people for nothing, made close friends and built the beginnings of a peaceful life and is now seeing those beginnings ripped away by violence which he now realizes he can't meet with further violence. on top of which leif is back in his life for the first time in over a decade. having thorfinn give that response in the analog of chapter 2 instead of chapter 93 (titled "birth of a warrior", so yeah maybe an important chapter), makes no loving sense. thorfinn's doesn't have the introspection in that moment to comfort someone he deems to be "weak" as seen in his previous line (and later on in the hild's flashback). it undercuts the mindlessness of his thirst for vengeance, which then undercuts his eventual character growth. having thorfinn brood in silence (as he is last seen doing in the manga version of that scene) would have been infinitely better.

so far i've been pretty neutral over the changes made in this adaptation. it does avoid a complete tonal whiplash that you would get from having a complete action packed first episode followed by the origin flashback, and it also lays the "no one is your enemy" groundwork more solidly before we see any fighting at all. i guess overall changing thorfinn's response isn't that big of a deal, and it does more blatantly point to the eventual change in direction for the series which caught some readers off-guard, but it makes thorfinn's arc feel so much less natural

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's also pretty much line by line repeat of what Thors said in episode 1 to console the dying slave. Thorfinn repeating his words to console another slave, despite not having the emotional maturity to truly mean it, still makes sense, considering he was right in the middle of dreaming/hallucinating/remembering his father when she interrupted him, so "what would Thors do" would still be in forefront of his mind.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, i realize that it's an echo of thors from episode 1. that scene originally comes two chapters later in the manga and was a sort of response to the question posed by the slave woman. but even if thorfinn has that moment come to mind, it goes against his future characterization to have him even try to comfort someone else with it. he spends the next extended arc heedlessly killing folks and looking down on those who travel with him who don't participate in violence. a few moments earlier he was chiding the slave woman for being weak and thus deserving to be exploited by others, a rationalization he expresses at several other points, most notably when he says it to hild after killing her father.

if thorfinn was conflicted by his fathers memory and had feelings of empathy for the weak at this point it undermines the sudden rock bottom that he hits once he's no longer consumed by revenge. thorfinn at this point is not troubled by guilty nightmares. it was an unnecessary addition

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Let's see how they handle the end of Farmville then. Maybe it'll pay off. I dug the eps I watched so far

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As I saw it he wasn't genuinely trying to comfort the slave girl as much as just saying the first thing that came to mind as a way to get her off his back. I'm also pretty sure that the tone and emotional impact will be completely different at the end of Farmland, which could even make the early scene work as a nice contrast to how far Thorfinn has come.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I found a real nice manga series about Pliny the Elder (the Roman scientist) from the point of view of one of his scribes... I am quite enjoying it at the moment.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/707598

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

^It’s the same writer as the excellent Thermae Romae manga, so it gets my approval

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh no! Only two chapters are translated. What a tragedy.

I'm happy the Thermae Romae guy is just straight up doing Roman stuff without the framing device holding him back.

It was a fantastic framing device, but you could tell that eventually he just wanted to do a story about Romans, and I'm glad he's getting a chance.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
the author is a woman and she makes no secret of her love for romans.

she's even married to an italian guy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

She's also doing Olympic Circles which I found to be more interesting than Thermae Romae. Check that one as well!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I guess we've found the one manga artist that's even more of an Italophile than Araki.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

A veaboo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Ave, true to her heart.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I found a real nice manga series about Pliny the Elder (the Roman scientist) from the point of view of one of his scribes... I am quite enjoying it at the moment.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/707598

Looks good to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New Vinland Saga chapter and it's a doozy! https://readms.net/r/vinland_saga/165/6214/1

Sigurd is heartwarming again and also... A NEW TIMESKIP???!!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I will be pretty loving pissed if after all that teasing they just skip over the adventures in Eastern Europe and Constantinople. I really hope this is just setup for flashback, or something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that their trip to sell narwhal horns in Byzantium was completely uneventful. Really hope this is a setup for detailed flashbacks.

Otherwise, very good chapter.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh yeah, outside of that one thing, the chapter was great.

Sigurd is the goodest boy and now he has his own crew of good boys and girls and is going on adventure with them! :kimchi: Also warmonger Ylva wearing a whole armory and almost accidentally killing Thorfinn was the absolute best.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I WAS PROMISED THE QUEEN OF CITIES AS DRAWN BY YUKIMURA COME THE gently caress ON

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I wanted to see Miklagard! Uncool timeskip. There had best be a flashback coming. Siggy is still great though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
whoa thorfinn got hotter

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I hope this is a framing device where Thorfinn tells about the adventure to Greece. I mean he's got new scars and he seems to be captain of a small fleet now sooo we have to learn how that happened, right?

Also, that fancy brooch he's wearing looks important.

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 26, 2019

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
We better at least get some cool flashback shots of Constantinople even if we don't get a full story arc

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Interested to see some Varangian nonsense in the inevitable flashback chapters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It better be a motherfucking flashback arc at this point. GIMME MY drat BYZANTINE ADVENTURES!!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's sad to say but I've also essentially given up on Historie as off like 15 chapters ago. It feels like I'd have to go like 30 chapters back to remember what's up and regain the momentum of the read, but the updates are so slow and sketchy that I don't feel like it. And I LOVE the diadochi man!!!
guess I'll just wait till it's done.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Venuz Patrol posted:

whoa thorfinn got hotter
oh gosh, oh geez

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A Bride's Story continues. More photos

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Oh, of course. They get a camera, and what do they use it for? Cat pics 🙄

I like that in the last pic, the cat's tail was blurry.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
As glad as I am that someone picked it up, I wish they would have spent more effort on grammar checking and proof reading. It hurts to go from a quality translation to something with grade school grammatical errors on every page.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nipponophile posted:

As glad as I am that someone picked it up, I wish they would have spent more effort on grammar checking and proof reading. It hurts to go from a quality translation to something with grade school grammatical errors on every page.

Agreed. At least this is a mostly visual chapter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1192411426205208577?s=20

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Yeah. I'm not going to read any of this. :sigh:
Otoyomegatari is a series which really does go strong on the mood and atmosphere, and I can't enjoy that if I'm constantly jarred by crappy grammar and typos.

Oh well. At least it does get a digital release; I'll just buy it when it comes out officially in English.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 8, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hell yeah

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Plutonis posted:

hell yeah

:hfive:

You know, Kingdom isn't the very best manga out there in terms of art, story, style etc but I've gotta say, it gets put out every week for years without fail, is always advancing the plot and always delivering some moment of badass. It's just a great constant every week.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I like Kingdom's Art and Style, even though the arcs got insanely overdrawn the last few years. Like I have no idea how long this battle with Zhao has been going on.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

^since issue 500

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

:hfive:

You know, Kingdom isn't the very best manga out there in terms of art, story, style etc but I've gotta say, it gets put out every week for years without fail, is always advancing the plot and always delivering some moment of badass. It's just a great constant every week.

Is this dynasty warriors or something? Who is the one guy chopping horses into chunks?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Brought To You By posted:

Is this dynasty warriors or something? Who is the one guy chopping horses into chunks?

Houken, a bushin, a tribe of turbo charged martial artists.

And yes, this is literally Dynasty Warriors but set during the Warring States period.

It starts slow and the art is pretty bad at the beginning, but it steadily improves after the couple first arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Plutonis posted:

I like Kingdom's Art and Style, even though the arcs got insanely overdrawn the last few years. Like I have no idea how long this battle with Zhao has been going on.

It's definitely slow but at least each ep stays fairly interesting.