Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dorium posted:

I purchased a motion detected laser pointer that goes through various routines when the cat passes it. I hope this helps in making the kitten tired since I’ll place it where she passes through most often.

There's a 90% chance your kitten will ignore fancy toys or play with them a couple times and then ignore them. It's one of the fundamental laws of cat, they'll have more fun destroying household objects and playing with toilet paper rolls. They're furry balls of chaos and cannot be controlled.

cats! :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best money I ever spent on cat toys was going to the hobby shop and spending ~$15 on bags of pipe cleaners, feather, plastic strings, and plastic springs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You can also get one of those $10 bags full of cat toys from Amazon, they'll love them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXE4RGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But this thing is great for single cats: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DT2WL26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this for good measure : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7KN23U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I contend this is a ten times better toy with two cats who both try to bat a ball at the same time and slam into each other.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FelicityGS posted:

I contend this is a ten times better toy with two cats who both try to bat a ball at the same time and slam into each other.

Oh I'm sure, but our kitten loves it even though I've never seen our other two cats show any interest in it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh I'm sure, but our kitten loves it even though I've never seen our other two cats show any interest in it.

Kittens lose their mind over it, it's super cute.

Here's Toaster back when he was even smaller with Lucky supervising

https://imgur.com/ntEIIm4.mp4

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I get paper bags from the bottlo I work at and scrunch em up. Artichoke loves them

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Other things the girls prefer to actual toys:

Any paper at all whatsoever!
Cardboard
Paper bags
Rugs
a pair of LEGO wheels
panties

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Our kitten has a unique ability to rustle up wrappers from small individual chocolates like celebrations etc from seemingly nowhere.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My cats are broken. I tossed a plastic bottle cap from a coke bottle on the floor of my place and it hasn't moved for a week!

But they sure do love the little balls with feathers I got them the other day.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Meanwhile my orange brat demands only human powered toys. He will ignore toys on the floor or electric toys. Nothing will do except the humans dragging the mouse on a stick back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.

What's that? You want a break? Well I guess I'll attack the couch.

He's lucky he's cute.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

We got something like this for ours but he never loving touches it. Does NOT care. Would rather chase a receipt down the hallway. We're getting pretty good at buying things he will actually play with now, anything with a crinkly part he can bite he loves, plus cheap little foam balls.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Our white cat never plays or does anything intelligent except beg for food. We were always stunned to see that he WILL play with one thing if we get it out: This giant battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Pokeball-Drive-Ball-Power/dp/B078SZHMRY/r

He rolls the big heavy thing around and chases the string that's attached to part of it. That string had a shiny metal clasp that caught his eye each time it came around and made him pounce.

Eventually after enough supervised play sessions with him chasing it all around the house, he started to bite through the string and there was a possibility of the shiny metal bit coming off so we had to throw his favorite toy away.

Does anyone know of a safer toy that emulates this experience? A heavy, shiny ball that can be rolled, that intermittently exposes a provocative shiny hangy bit that comes around each roll?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My cat likes the ball in a circle toys, but she needed some catnip and human prodding to try it out at first. I'll catch her playing with it late at night sometimes or we will 'play catch' knocking the ball back and forth.

In semi related toy news, my grandma gave her a pop-n-play (dome with a motor that pops mice out of holes) and she likes that after some of the catnip treatment, enough to destroy the feathers. But, it is too loud for the humans so it doesn't get used that often. The mechanism is nice and simple, I bet you could make a premium quiet version.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 8, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

big dyke energy posted:

We got something like this for ours but he never loving touches it. Does NOT care. Would rather chase a receipt down the hallway. We're getting pretty good at buying things he will actually play with now, anything with a crinkly part he can bite he loves, plus cheap little foam balls.

:shrug: Cats be weird, yo. That's the most expensive cat toy I'll buy, mostly I get the cheap stuff too. He plays with all of it, thankfully.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Today, Aleta licked her rear end in a top hat and made an unbelievably disgusted face. Was I right to point and laugh, or should I worry?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Today, Aleta licked her rear end in a top hat and made an unbelievably disgusted face. Was I right to point and laugh, or should I worry?

Always point and laugh.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

taqueso posted:

In semi related toy news, my grandma gave her a pop-n-play (dome with a motor that pops mice out of holes) and she likes that after some of the catnip treatment, enough to destroy the feathers. But, it is too loud for the humans so it doesn't get used that often. The mechanism is nice and simple, I bet you could make a premium quiet version.

My mom gave us one of those! Rosie likes it, but she'll often just stick her paw in one of the holes and wait for the mouse to try and emerge. My cat has discovered spawn camping, apparently.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Always point and laugh.

She wasn't even mad. She knew she a mess.

...but two days in a row, I worry.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is cats sneezing a bad sign? Terry's been doing a bit of it but he doesn't appear to be uncomfortable or have other symptoms.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is cats sneezing a bad sign? Terry's been doing a bit of it but he doesn't appear to be uncomfortable or have other symptoms.

It's something to keep an eye on, but sometimes it's just a thing. We have a chronic sneezer, and the vet says he's just got allergies.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I patted Aleta on the head while she was sleeping to say goodnight and she curled her paws around my fingers and smushed her face in my hand and went back to sleep holding on to me.

I live here now on this patch of floor.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Is there a faq for CBD cat treats or oils? I have a vial from phytodabs and my cats violently avoid eating it. I think they need to use tuna oil instead of coconut oil as a medium. v :) v. I need something that a sane cat would actually like to eat

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Our white cat never plays or does anything intelligent except beg for food. We were always stunned to see that he WILL play with one thing if we get it out: This giant battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Pokeball-Drive-Ball-Power/dp/B078SZHMRY/r

He rolls the big heavy thing around and chases the string that's attached to part of it. That string had a shiny metal clasp that caught his eye each time it came around and made him pounce.

Eventually after enough supervised play sessions with him chasing it all around the house, he started to bite through the string and there was a possibility of the shiny metal bit coming off so we had to throw his favorite toy away.

Does anyone know of a safer toy that emulates this experience? A heavy, shiny ball that can be rolled, that intermittently exposes a provocative shiny hangy bit that comes around each roll?

Here is what I'm talking about. Are there any toys that work like this? Is there an easy way to make one with crafts?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

Kittens lose their mind over it, it's super cute.

Here's Toaster back when he was even smaller with Lucky supervising

https://imgur.com/ntEIIm4.mp4

Yeah, my little one goes apeshit for it.

The old one will bat at it a few time if nobody else is around.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Shroomie posted:

Yeah, my little one goes apeshit for it.

The old one will bat at it a few time if nobody else is around.

My smart cat spent 24 hours playing with it obsessively before concluding she would never get the ball out and losing basically all interest. I gave it away before I adopted my less smart cat but I do sometimes wonder if she'd like it more.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Here is what I'm talking about. Are there any toys that work like this? Is there an easy way to make one with crafts?

I feel like I've seen weighted balls with fake tails before--rigging up the end with something shiny wouldn't be terribly difficult. You could get one and do a thick twine braid, braiding in some shiny at the end so it's more secure prooobably. It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to copy.

If you want to full DIY, get a giant size gachapon ball, fill it partially with sand for weight, attach your braided twine tail w metal end, superglue the whole thing shut so it doesn't pop open and spill guts everywhere.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Maybe something like this and just rig up something shiny to it? Self-moving toy

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Brilliant ideas you two! Thank you, will post results

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There is a thing like this, Weazel Ball? It's a motorized ball that rolls around with a toy on the end. You could probably strip the weazel off and put whatever toy you want to on it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Well gently caress. Somehow the kitten got fleas. I do daily brushings and once overs since this is a long haired cat, and all of a sudden shes got flea poo poo near her tail and I saw 3 of them running around her face. I have no idea how this happened since the home she came from has no fleas (this is where they came from duh), and the only other cat person I let over is a Veteran Cat Lady.

I was researching various flea treatment options from the basic flea collars, to some shots that provide coverage for 30 days (Ive read this is the extreme option and causes some cats to get sick).

So my plan is:

1. Flea bath

2. Flea collar, head to to tail coverage.

3. Clean house/ throw down anti-flea stuff.

4. Routine flea treatments. I have no idea what would be good, since I have a young cat.

Kitten is 11 weeks old. Any suggestions for products for the collar, soap, and routine prevention, and something to leave around that house would be appreciated. My idiot brain storming idea is to leave a flea collar under the couch cushion and my mattress to stomp out their hiding places.. Kinda wish the vet caught this when I went in on Monday.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gaj posted:

Well gently caress. Somehow the kitten got fleas. I do daily brushings and once overs since this is a long haired cat, and all of a sudden shes got flea poo poo near her tail and I saw 3 of them running around her face. I have no idea how this happened since the home she came from has no fleas (this is where they came from duh), and the only other cat person I let over is a Veteran Cat Lady.

I was researching various flea treatment options from the basic flea collars, to some shots that provide coverage for 30 days (Ive read this is the extreme option and causes some cats to get sick).

So my plan is:

1. Flea bath

4. Routine flea treatments. I have no idea what would be good, since I have a young cat.

Kitten is 11 weeks old. Any suggestions for products for the collar, soap, and routine prevention, and something to leave around that house would be appreciated. My idiot brain storming idea is to leave a flea collar under the couch cushion and my mattress to stomp out their hiding places.. Kinda wish the vet caught this when I went in on Monday.

She probably had some eggs on her, or they were tracked in on shoes.

Get a flea comb to help manually remove them when possible.

Flea collars don't do anything and can be a choking hazard since they don't have a quick-release - I'd skip that step entirely. You're better off with a combination of flea spray, washing what you can in super hot water, and vacuuming multiple times a day. Take the vacuum outside and dump it in the trash immediately after each vacuum, or the fleas will just crawl back out into your house.

It might be worth contacting vet about possible flea treatments - I don't know if capstar is an option for her age/size, but it was what made getting rid of fleas possible for me.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Dienes posted:

Flea collars don't do anything and can be a choking hazard since they don't have a quick-release - I'd skip that step entirely.

Another thing about flea collars is that long haired cats are often allergic to them and get really nasty rashes on their necks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
My wife and I lost our 12-year old kitteh, Sophie, last night after a week-and-a-half long illness. We were asleep, and so was she. She had recently been diagnosed with bad hypertension, and had a seizure yesterday, so I'm guessing she had a stroke somewhere in there. She couldn't even stand up on her own last night. We planned on getting her put to sleep today, and bundled her up when she was asleep and we were going to bed. This morning we woke up and found her in exactly the same position we had left her, just cold and stiff. We were both pretty relieved, I have to say. She went peacefully, knowing that we loved her.

But yeah, this really sucks. My wife had Sophie since before we started going out, and she's been with us for a lot. She comforted us when my wife's parents passed away, she saw us through two big moves and the ups-and-downs of our various jobs, she always came and snuggled with us whenever we were feeling sad or stressed. I've never met a more empathic creature in my life. I was never really a "cat person;" I had cats growing up, but they were outdoor cats (I lived out in the countryside). But I really loved Sophie, and I miss her a lot right now.

Anyway, I've posted here a couple times asking for advice in previous years, and lurked a lot, so thanks to everyone who gave me pointers. Here's our little princess, just a few months ago:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Condolences, friend. Sophie looks like she was a really good pal.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Gaj posted:

So my plan is:

1. Flea bath

Please don't use an off-the-shelf collar; one killed my mom's favorite kitten.

Listen to Dienes about vacuuming daily and washing everything. I've also got a post or two in this thread about treating for fleas around the house; let me see if I can find it.

Keep combing that little fluffball with a fleacomb and dip it into a bowl with diluted Dawn dishsoap to trap the fleas off it.

Talk to your vet about topical flea & tick treatments and heartworm prevention. These are usually once-a-month and while expensive to get a year's supply at once, month-to-month they're not too bad. The vet will know what works best in your area too! (e.g. Catego is the go-to here because we have to worry about Bobcat fever, Revolution doesn't do much now, etc).

Edit: Here we go! Integrated Pest Management for Fleas:

• Keep up with the topical flea treatments from the vet. Ask the vet if you need an accelerated application time (e.g. every 3 weeks instead of 4). If you've been given Capstar or another ingestible, use that too on schedule. (Capstar kills the fleas on the pet-- it worked for their cats but left them all lethargic and scared us a bit.)
  • Vacuum everything you can vacuum with the best vacuum you have access to. Shark, the better Dysons, etc, are great choices if you can. A HEPA filter is great. Empty the canister outside into a trash bag and dispose (or dispose of the vacuum bag) immediately each time you vacuum. You will need to vacuum daily. This includes nooks & crannies of baseboards and furniture, in your closets, etc.
  • All of your clothes, bedding, jackets and coats in the closets, curtains, etc need to be laundered. Launder daily any pet favorites (like a blanket) and weekly at minimum bedding and curtains.
  • If your cats are properly treated, you shouldn't need to flea comb them. Try doing so anyway to see if there's anything you can catch.
  • Shoes possibly brought the fleas in, so make sure outside shoes are taken off ASAP when entering and don't make it to the carpet. If you are extra paranoid and fleas are very bad where you are at, remove your entire outfit and launder. Check yourself for insects before getting dressed again.
  • Windows need to stay closed, as fleas will jump inside.
  • Treat the outside areas of your home with pesticides if you have noticed fleas jumping on you when you are outside.
  • Cut down tall weeds and grass around your home. Avoid walking through tall weeds and grass when possible.
  • Insect Growth Regulator pesticide is much safer than other flea treatment methods, but will take a few weeks to really show progress as they target only the young, growing fleas. You want a spray or a foam product to apply to areas with flea infestations to directly hit the population, and areas it is tough to get to (like under the furniture). Foggers are NOT a good idea as the fleas and their eggs are usually not in places foggers reach, nor do they provide a strong enough dose to do anything useful.

Majorian posted:

My wife and I lost our 12-year old kitteh, Sophie, last night after a week-and-a-half long illness. We were asleep, and so was she. She had recently been diagnosed with bad hypertension, and had a seizure yesterday, so I'm guessing she had a stroke somewhere in there. She couldn't even stand up on her own last night. We planned on getting her put to sleep today, and bundled her up when she was asleep and we were going to bed. This morning we woke up and found her in exactly the same position we had left her, just cold and stiff. We were both pretty relieved, I have to say. She went peacefully, knowing that we loved her.

But yeah, this really sucks. My wife had Sophie since before we started going out, and she's been with us for a lot. She comforted us when my wife's parents passed away, she saw us through two big moves and the ups-and-downs of our various jobs, she always came and snuggled with us whenever we were feeling sad or stressed. I've never met a more empathic creature in my life. I was never really a "cat person;" I had cats growing up, but they were outdoor cats (I lived out in the countryside). But I really loved Sophie, and I miss her a lot right now.

Anyway, I've posted here a couple times asking for advice in previous years, and lurked a lot, so thanks to everyone who gave me pointers. Here's our little princess, just a few months ago:

I'm so sorry :-(

effika fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 9, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

RIP Sophie, a pro cat.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Aw poo poo. :( Rest in Purrwer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Thanks everybody! I'm relieved we don't have to make the tough call of putting her to sleep, and she was comfortable and not in any pain. We were really lucky to have her in our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Gaj posted:

1: DO NOT USE FLEA COLLARS. They're very bad for the cat and often do not even work.
2: DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT WITH A HERTZ LABEL. Hertz has a bad track record of poisoning pets.
3: READ ALL YOUR LABELS. Lots and lots of flea products cannot be used on a kitten less that 12 weeks of age! The product will say on the bottle what age is required for safe use.

Get a bottle of unscented Dawn dishsoap and scrub your kitten in the sink. Start by making a "ring" around the neck to prevent any fleas from trying to rush up to her face and then bathe her like a duck in an oil spill. Don't get her head wet though, if you can help it, or water in her ears.

Anything she's been sleeping on needs to be washed in hot water as it may have eggs on it. Vaccuum everything you can and dump/empty the can/bag immediately. It's not fun but it's a manageable disaster. 11 week old kitten can have Revolution or Capstar I believe if you want to treat the pet directly (which is a good idea) but again, READ YOUR LABELS before you buy anything and make sure you have a safe product for the age and weight of your kitten.

e: If you want home remedies I've heard that using a heat lamp over a plate of soapy water will attract and catch fleas. They go for the heat source, land in the soap and can't get out so they drown. Won't remove eggs but can attract any loose fleas. That said don't leave soapy water plates out unattended in case the kitten thinks it's a water bowl.

e2: You should tell the previous owner about this because if she had fleas they all have fleas.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 9, 2019