Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

On the end the last lines of the game.

At the end of the game your Captain Pryce is talking about who is in or out? It almost sounds like he is planning on joining a revolt against the Coalition, saying he can trust everyone in the department except our advisor Trent. Not sure if it changes based off your politics, because he is like "Of Course Harry is in, he's always for the people"

The line changes but the gist of it remains the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There's no way to play an elitist prick, I guess. Even Fascism is "for the people" in some way.

And there's no way to get fired in the end.

Or to play D&D with Kim.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

cock hero flux posted:

The line changes but the gist of it remains the same.

I haven't played the fascist myself, but IIRC the fascisty epilogue is more like Harry can be relied on to stand with the *RCM*, as opposed to the people.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah fascist Harry going with the revolution makes sense, fascists love nationalism. Now he'll be a problem afterwards but he'll be totally down with kicking out the MI.

Neoliberal Harry is the one I'm actually curious about what happens.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Moralist Harry also got the same "He will stand with RCM" line, which I thought a bit odd since the Coalition represents moralism. Although there was a bit of hesitation from the other party like, "are you sure he will stand with us?"

Well, I said "moralist", but it was just my highest one at the end and I had a relatively even 8/8/9 split between the non-fascist ones, I didn't actually internalize any of the thoughts. I dunno if that matters any.

e: as an aside i'm very mildly disappointed the game doesn't have a secret "gently caress em all" fifth ideology if you reject all the thoughts

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 7, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How much variance is there in the union beef? I played good(ish) cop Harry and warned the labor negotiator boat lady about what was going down, and she immediately pulled up stakes and hosed off. Is there a way to get rid of Everett, or does it always end with his guys taking over the region?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

blizzardvizard posted:

e: as an aside i'm very mildly disappointed the game doesn't have a secret "gently caress em all" fifth ideology if you reject all the thoughts

What would that be if not ultraliberalism?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wish I'd realized being Some Kind of Superstar raised my Composure cap to 6. My Sorry Cop could have also been a Superstar!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Omi no Kami posted:

How much variance is there in the union beef? I played good(ish) cop Harry and warned the labor negotiator boat lady about what was going down, and she immediately pulled up stakes and hosed off. Is there a way to get rid of Everett, or does it always end with his guys taking over the region?

Evrart and the Union are kind of in a no-lose situation. If you tell Joyce all about the drug trafficking operation, and then tell him, he laughs it off. If the Hardie Boys all stick to their story and get arrested, then what? Their motive is avenging the rape of a local woman by this *checks notes* drug-addled death squad that Wild Pines sent it. It doesn't exactly reflect well on the company. If the mercs go wild and start killing people, that also looks good for the Union.

I don't think there's any way to get Evrart mad at you except very briefly if you no-sell his attempts at messing with you. Just taking the check with no comment, not freaking out over your gun, etc.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You can find out and reveal that Evrat had the previous union guy murdered at least.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goddamn I just did the Church and the dance thing, that was amazing and powerful poo poo. I failed the authority check with Kim to make him dance but I think it was quite moving and insightful to see what it comes to. And maybe explains why Kim is the way he is, you despite being an utter moster will always be a revacholian to some people and he will never be despite his best behavior.

Also I saw and bought magnesium pills IRL for some reason :D An advanced magnesium proto-man have just been born

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 7, 2019

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

lmao if you weren't already taking hundreds of mg of magnesium a day to try in vain to stave off death

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still wonder why magnesium is something that boosts your morale when the amount harry takes must be making him run to the shitter constantly

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hypnogamma is where its at

must be some amazing regenerative poo poo given the universe

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Begemot posted:

Evrart and the Union are kind of in a no-lose situation. If you tell Joyce all about the drug trafficking operation, and then tell him, he laughs it off. If the Hardie Boys all stick to their story and get arrested, then what? Their motive is avenging the rape of a local woman by this *checks notes* drug-addled death squad that Wild Pines sent it. It doesn't exactly reflect well on the company. If the mercs go wild and start killing people, that also looks good for the Union.

I don't think there's any way to get Evrart mad at you except very briefly if you no-sell his attempts at messing with you. Just taking the check with no comment, not freaking out over your gun, etc.

If you tell Joyce that the Union is planning a war, she decides to surrender the harbour, disown the mercenaries and sails away.

When you come back and talk to Evrart, he gets suddenly candid. The drug smuggling operation is intentionally lurid and messy, because it's the kind of thing that makes monied interests sweat. The Hardies are sacrificial pawns, because his real soldiers aren't the affable cops- he has a gang of heavies who he is letting nowhere near this shitshow. The stuff that you're "investigating" is intentional theatre.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Begemot posted:

if you've interalized both 'the look' and '9mm finger pistols' that scene turns into a bromance, perhaps greater than the one with kim

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Couple of questions:

Time! I don't have a good grasp of how it passes. You hear it audibly pass sometimes in conversations, and it progresses at some rate outside of conversation, I think. Do certain conversations have flags for the passage of time or is it about the speed you click through them? The stupid metagamer in me is concerned that it would be more efficient to read through conversations at a normal pace, then reload and double back through them really fast, picking the same options but without spending time reading them. I assume the game is about 7 days, after which I'm guessing you get a conclusion based on your brain poo poo and deeds.

Secondly, it seems you must spend a skill point to unlearn thoughts. Mechanically, very cool. I am wondering if there's a hidden third thing, like a extremist, corrupted, or lost-faith in any of the thoughts. Also, is there a connection between how thoughts are ordered, do they blend together based on proximity or anything.

Mostly I am enjoying the mistake of internalizing the advanced race theory. Like, I knew it was literally a _bad idea_, but I also knew it would help me get past the supremacist. I also took the easy way out and just said all I learned was that I need to stop being an alcoholic. Obviously internalizing racist ideology is bad, regardless of intentions so it's perfect that I penalize myself having to remove what I should never have taken in the first place. I guess I don't actually have a question, I look forward to seeing what I do or don't do in dealing with it. This game is really cool, I can't remember the last time a game has me thinking about it's stuff when I'm not even playing it. Hell, can't remember ever playnig a game where failing a skill check wasn't pretty much a quickload situation for me. I don't want to save scum in this game nearly as much as I do others like it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Time doesn't pass outside of conversation. Asking questions and clicking dialogue options makes time move.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Night10194 posted:

Time doesn't pass outside of conversation. Asking questions and clicking dialogue options makes time move.

I’m addition, time only passes clicking “new dialogue” options. Stuff you’ve already read can be fine back over without a time “penalty”.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Time! I don't have a good grasp of how it passes. You hear it audibly pass sometimes in conversations, and it progresses at some rate outside of conversation, I think. Do certain conversations have flags for the passage of time or is it about the speed you click through them? The stupid metagamer in me is concerned that it would be more efficient to read through conversations at a normal pace, then reload and double back through them really fast, picking the same options but without spending time reading them. I assume the game is about 7 days, after which I'm guessing you get a conclusion based on your brain poo poo and deeds.

Time only passes when you're reading new dialogue. It doesn't pass outside dialogue at all, except for in special parts where it's clearly signposted that you'll have to wait a while. For normal conversations (not reading books or playing board games), each line of dialogue advances time by 23 seconds.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The game also doesn't end after 7 days, or based on time really at all.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Finished the game for the first time last night and was really floored. The ending feels slightly abrupt, but also perfect. I could have maybe used a little more outro but I think the thing is that the outro pretty much just is one last conversation; they haven't really done any narrated nonsense or cut-scenes throughout most of the game; why start then?

Long story short, definitely the masterpiece everyone seems to recognize it for. Just so much heart and while some folks pan the last act, I actually felt a lot of the moments there were the strongest. I just want more of everything is the problem.

One of the first RPGs I've wanted to start again immediately after; normally my backlog says "Yeeeeah, no" when I think I might. Went full Inland Empire and Physique-based (and generally not-a-dick) my first go-round, so I think I might go uber-dick, terrible nerd with the other two stat trees my second go-round, just to see how much changes. I feel like I answered most of the mysteries and saw most of the big reveals in my first playthrough (Remote Viewing is a hell of a drug) so I'm curious to see how much the game hides from you if you just do a poo poo job detecting.

GotY. Without question.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I don't want it to end, I'm really taking my time and enjoying it. I swear I don't play games this way anymore, it's always a rush through content because so much is forgettable. Never have I ever talked an old guy out of his immaculate sandwich using my character's engineering know-how, and then immediately offered it to his war hero buddy who watched the whole thing and now quite appropriately reacts by telling me he dislikes what I did and that I'm frankly letting everybody down with how poorly I am representing the cops in that moment. And cared about it. I've been surprised by so much and enjoyed all of it. I hope this is a very influential game going forward.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

1. In the beginning (I'm on the start of the second day) is it better to invest all points in skills or should I unlock a thought cabinet or two every once in a while?
2. Is there any way to imagine what a thought does besides trying to interpret the vague descriptions?
3. Why constantly my inventory icon turns orange as if there's something new inside it, but when I click on it everything is as before?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mystic Stylez posted:

1. In the beginning (I'm on the start of the second day) is it better to invest all points in skills or should I unlock a thought cabinet or two every once in a while?
2. Is there any way to imagine what a thought does besides trying to interpret the vague descriptions?
3. Why constantly my inventory icon turns orange as if there's something new inside it, but when I click on it everything is as before?

You end up drowning in points, but definitely buy thought cabinets whenever you can. Some of them give you lots of xp.

Essentially try not to minmax, save that for a second run.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A thought is almost always >= 1 skill, and sometimes extremely better, but the tradeoff is you don't know exactly what you'll get if you're playing blind. Skills are more safe. That said, I would always encourage filling up your cabinet and embrace the chaos of what you get. Many thoughts unlock funny hidden dialogue options for one thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Draxion posted:

The game also doesn't end after 7 days, or based on time really at all.

Good to know, I figured 7 days because hitting rock bottom while my coworkers and bosses laugh at my deep failures, there's and end conversation saying they're giving me another week before they might have to get rid of me. Disappointing Kim day 1 because we didn't get the corpse down because I wanted to investigate the mysteries of the bookshop.

Followup question on time pass, is it all dialogue or just spoken? Wondering if I'm using time when delving into thoughts or encyclopedia recollections. Not that I'm going to stop exploring them all no matter what, just curious mechanically.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Khanstant posted:

Good to know, I figured 7 days because hitting rock bottom while my coworkers and bosses laugh at my deep failures, there's and end conversation saying they're giving me another week before they might have to get rid of me. Disappointing Kim day 1 because we didn't get the corpse down because I wanted to investigate the mysteries of the bookshop.

Followup question on time pass, is it all dialogue or just spoken? Wondering if I'm using time when delving into thoughts or encyclopedia recollections. Not that I'm going to stop exploring them all no matter what, just curious mechanically.

It's anything that uses the dialogue interface. You can pass time really quickly by reading a book or old case reports in your ledger.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

be careful tho because there exist books that are so boring you'll die

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

On the end the last lines of the game.

At the end of the game your Captain Pryce is talking about who is in or out? It almost sounds like he is planning on joining a revolt against the Coalition, saying he can trust everyone in the department except our advisor Trent. Not sure if it changes based off your politics, because he is like "Of Course Harry is in, he's always for the people"

For me it was that Harry is unstable, but the captain considers that neutral at worst and knows Harry will be with them

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In my first playthrough, I never got the ledger. Digging in the dumpster, Inland Empire tells you to stop, says that what you're about to find is Really Bad, so I did!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

be careful tho because there exist books that are so boring you'll die

I'm 28hrs in and have yet opened up a book. I'm planning to but all these convos take a lot of time.

I have a few questions: I want to check out all the locations for where the mercenary could have been sniped at but I can't find the location at the boardwalk. I didn't see anything highlighted around there? I found only one place next to the door that cannot be opened and I already know that there is a place that will be opened up later in the game but the boardwalk is accessible right now.

Where do I learn more about the Pale, it pops up after the weird church scene in a convo check with Soona (-10 Pale) is there a book I need to read or a convo with someone?

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

In my first playthrough, I never got the ledger. Digging in the dumpster, Inland Empire tells you to stop, says that what you're about to find is Really Bad, so I did!

Lol, I'm so curious that I do the opposite of whatever Inland Empire tells me, I would have known a lot less about the world if I did follow it all the time.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Should I restart the game and go with something else that isn't the default leftmost character? I assumed it would be good to start as that guy as that's where the default position of the selection is, but mostly I'm finding the game a little dull.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Idia posted:

I'm 28hrs in and have yet opened up a book. I'm planning to but all these convos take a lot of time.

I have a few questions: I want to check out all the locations for where the mercenary could have been sniped at but I can't find the location at the boardwalk. I didn't see anything highlighted around there? I found only one place next to the door that cannot be opened and I already know that there is a place that will be opened up later in the game but the boardwalk is accessible right now.

Where do I learn more about the Pale, it pops up after the weird church scene in a convo check with Soona (-10 Pale) is there a book I need to read or a convo with someone?

for the boardwalk spot, you've got to either climb the ladder or learn about the secret entrance to the building with the mural. You keep getting Shivers prompts to go back and try learning about it again. The spot is inside.

For Soona: Talk to Joyce, the wild pines rep, about the world and ask about something fundamental. To actually trigger learning about the Pale you may have to have Kim with you the first time - he'll tell her you don't need to hear it. Go back at night, without him.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tindahbawx posted:

Should I restart the game and go with something else that isn't the default leftmost character? I assumed it would be good to start as that guy as that's where the default position of the selection is, but mostly I'm finding the game a little dull.

I heard high PSY, empathy/inland empire is the most interesting route. I didn't use any defaults but did put more points in those areas. Shivers is also good too. Some of those thoughts can come up with clothing that give you 1 or 2 points in any of those areas which you'll find a bit later in the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Begemot posted:

It's anything that uses the dialogue interface. You can pass time really quickly by reading a book or old case reports in your ledger.

That's how day one slipped past me so fast, kept reading tedious books in the bookstore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tindahbawx posted:

I'd say the best first playthrough is high Phys/Psy, like the Sensitive Cop. Shivers, Inland Empire, Empathy, and Esprit de Corps have tons of great dialogue, and having high Endurance+Volition gives you plenty of room for drugs mistakes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hwurmp posted:

I'd say the best first playthrough is high Phys/Psy, like the Sensitive Cop. Shivers, Inland Empire, Empathy, and Esprit de Corps have tons of great dialogue, and having high Endurance+Volition gives you plenty of room for drugs mistakes.

I've vouched for this playthrough countless times but it really is one of the best, Empathy reveals a lot of info about characters, potential motivations, and their feelings, which rounds them out a lot more; really makes conversations that much better. Espirit de Corps provides a lot of context and additionally, fleshes out Kim a bit more and makes him even more likeable while providing info on the unit you belong to. Inland Empire has a lot of asides which either play out ominous or hopeful, it warns you often and has really strange observations that give the game a unique vibe, Shivers is much the same way, it's the skill that gives the setting the most personality by bringing it to almost literal life. Volition is incredibly useful and lets you push through situations other builds might balk at and surprisingly leads to some of the most emotional moments in the game (virtually every time it's used on a phone).

Even Authority gives you the opportunity to throw your weight around and gives the threatening encounters a lot more edge. Pain Tolerance has quite a few checks and is super underrated, it's essentially the protagonist's ability to suffer and his willingness to suffer, means you can real lean into the tragic moments of the game. Physical Instrument is just incredibly useful environmentally and has some of the best moments in the game. Endurance is kind of blah but for a first playthrough the Volition/Endurance combo gives you a lot more leeway in taking damage. Electrochemistry is funny as poo poo and worth taking for that alone, although it does have quite a few useful interactions in recognizing when someone is high.

What makes it the best to me is that it doubles down on the most emotionally resonant aspects of the game and that's where Disco Elysium truly shines, the phasmid is so much more powerful.

Going for the high Int/Mot playthrough the first time can be kind of dry. Encyclopedia gives a lot of lore dumps and skills like Drama can get you into poo poo, it takes awhile to get the Superstar angle going and Art Cop is kind of dull relatively speaking, it's also the playthrough where its most interesting content is relegated to investigatory matters like inspecting the body or scenes.
It's an amazing second playthrough because once you know the game well enough it's a good way of sucking up everything you missed since it rewards being thorough at looking around due to Perception checks and Encyclopedia is most compelling when you know enough about the world to understand the significance of the info it's giving you. On a first playthrough a lot of it can just come off as dense gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Tindahbawx posted:

In contrast to the other people, I'm going to say probably not. The different stat configurations give quite severely different options and dialogue in some cases- but they aren't going to change the fundamental nature of the game you're playing. If you don't find the characters and experience interesting, I don't think a stat change will solve things for you.