Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Spatial posted:

Privatising someone's mom is some serious harsh

That's just marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Looking online and a typical shopping cart brand new costs $75-$100... and I'm sure that cart was brand spanking new to be 'worth' that to hit him with the >=100 <750 charge they describe here.

Always love how cops will go to any length to hit someone with charges if they stole from a store, no matter how small the amount (like that time when they destroyed someone else's house getting at a shoplifter...and iirc the shoplifter wasn't even in the house lol) yet when I've had thousands of dollars of stuff stolen from me I get a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and told tough poo poo. But yet, someone steals a piece of fruit from a Walmart and they bust out the SWAT team.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

T-man posted:

Sanders is the step 1 of part 1 of subsection 1 on the road to Utopian communist society and if we gently caress this political moment up it's going to be that much harder to avert gigadeath* and start on making things better.

* we can shoot for this post climate death, but it'd kinda be a mixed bag to build utopia on a planetary graveyard

If my stellaris games are any indication, our resulting post apocalyptic civilization will be ready to colonize any planet in the galaxy that is even remotely inhabitable!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

If my stellaris games are any indication, our resulting post apocalyptic civilization will be ready to colonize any planet in the galaxy that is even remotely inhabitable!

If humans don't die on this rock, we're going to end up being one of those evil sci-fi species that consume everything in their paths. We always include them in any sci-fi we write because it's what we'd really become with FTL travel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raldikuk posted:

Looking online and a typical shopping cart brand new costs $75-$100... and I'm sure that cart was brand spanking new to be 'worth' that to hit him with the >=100 <750 charge they describe here.

Always love how cops will go to any length to hit someone with charges if they stole from a store, no matter how small the amount (like that time when they destroyed someone else's house getting at a shoplifter...and iirc the shoplifter wasn't even in the house lol) yet when I've had thousands of dollars of stuff stolen from me I get a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and told tough poo poo. But yet, someone steals a piece of fruit from a Walmart and they bust out the SWAT team.

The Walton family are Holy Jobs Creators, you are not.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Spatial posted:

Privatising someone's mom is some serious harsh

Public good something something tragedy of the commons

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1192510537470316544

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

wilderthanmild posted:

If humans don't die on this rock, we're going to end up being one of those evil sci-fi species that consume everything in their paths. We always include them in any sci-fi we write because it's what we'd really become with FTL travel.

Become? Bwahahhaha

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

white people are paperclip maximizers for stupid crap

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Become? Bwahahhaha

Become in the sense that for now at least our insatiable appetite is restricted to Earth's gravity well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Those are the same thing. Crimes are things that destabilize society or damage property

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ever since US News started ranking colleges things have gotten steadily worse as they base a lot of their rankings on "exclusivity", which is mostly how many people they reject. A lot of universities have seen plummeting admission rates over the last 20 years in an effort to appear selective.

These places going from a 50% admissions rate to 10% in less than 2 decades is ridiculous.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wow I am in the wrong thread. I don't even know how...

Colleges manipulating admissions statistics based off an admissions data market is peak education capitalism.

Carecat has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Nov 7, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ll never forget Boston college encouraging me to apply in 2007 even though I barely passed high school and only did because I had to do summer school 😂

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Those are the same thing. Crimes are things that destabilize society or damage property

the point is that police exist primarily to protect capital not to fight crimes committed against the general populace.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mr Scoop posted:

the point is that police exist primarily to protect capital not to fight crimes committed against the general populace.

Some crimes against the general populace pose the risk of becoming feuds that cost money though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Marenghi posted:

I was going to ask why you don't have the little coin operated locks on carts. We've had them as long as I can remember here, and surprisingly people are fairly good at returning their carts when it's necessary to get their euro back.
But aren't all your coins worth less than a dollar?

Maybe you could operate them on a token system, buy a token for a dollar and use that for unlocking carts.

make them require a Sacajawea dollar. or an Eisenhower. or a 1921 Morgan silver.

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Some crimes against the general populace pose the risk of becoming feuds that cost money though.

which is why they sometimes do fight those crimes. but they're not necessarily going to help you if your poo poo get stolen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Colonel Cancer posted:

Become? Bwahahhaha

:monocle:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ikanreed posted:

This is the level of pedantry I expect from the something lawful comedy forums.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Warmachine posted:

This is the level of pedantry I expect from the something lawful comedy forums.

I just like the mean shooty bois

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You install an app on your phone that locks your phone if you don't return the cart. Using the app is the only way to make the brakes disengage.

I'll take my amazon buy out money in the form of a small to medium sized country thanks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

T-man posted:

You install an app on your phone that locks your phone if you don't return the cart. Using the app is the only way to make the brakes disengage.

I'll take my amazon buy out money in the form of a small to medium sized country thanks.

That buyout is gonna depreciate real fast once climate change spools up.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

bird with big dick posted:

make them require a Sacajawea dollar. or an Eisenhower. or a 1921 Morgan silver.

if I had to pay a deposit to use a cart I’d stop shopping at that store real quick. Europeans have some good ideas but that’s not one of them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's really not hard to walk the 10m to return the trolley and get your dollar back.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

A week ago Bernie Sanders tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1189570874472648704

This week, CEOs for both Gap and McDonald's have been fired.

:bern101:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, but not for pay gap reasons.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Doggles posted:

Yeah, and they probably got massive payouts and are still living comfortably on an island. Twitter isn't magic so long as the CEOs are still able to get a "warm body" connections job for 600k a year.

Save your smilies for post-election president sanders legalizing cannibalism and human hunting if you earn less than 20k a year.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

if I had to pay a deposit to use a cart I’d stop shopping at that store real quick. Europeans have some good ideas but that’s not one of them

People like you are why I burn a flag and chat "death to america" every time I cum

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GABA ghoul posted:

How people in France and in the US think the income distribution looks like:

left chart is how people think it looks like, right is what it actually looks like; upper two are france, lower two are the US

The US was the only country in the study where people actually underestimated the size of the underclass. It also has by far the largest underclass of all the countries. Good luck with that & god bless

US just slightly ahead of France in the quest to realize that income inequality actually looks like Epstein's egg-shaped penis no matter what country you live in.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Doggles posted:

Is “rebuilt”’code for the post-guilotine era?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Doggles posted:

the mcdonalds ceo got fired with like a $40 million golden parachute

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

comedyblissoption posted:

the mcdonalds ceo got fired with like a $40 million golden parachute

This is ludicrous because even a gap of 100 is buku bucks, let alone 10, which is a lot but not astronomical amounts of wealth.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
seeing bernie's tweets on billionaires are simultaneously incredible and depressing. we're finally seeing someone in political life actually talk about how cruel and unjust this system is and pointing out the actual actors behind it, but he's going to get ratfucked again and we're just gonna slide deeper and deeper

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also 'rebuild the middle class' means nothing for me, a guy who is mostly oppressed by the existing middle class

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

beaucoup

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

also 'rebuild the middle class' means nothing for me, a guy who is mostly oppressed by the existing middle class

if you're going to be tough on people who use the word "middle class" you're really not going to get anywhere. yes it's a bullshit term but hey you gotta pick your battles

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/airbnb-reaction-housing-1.5350603

Ottawa just setup regulations for AirBnB's to prevent landlords from turning all their properties into hotels. The landlord counter argument is 'This is going to hurt students! How are we supposed to do short term 8 month rentals without having AirBnB?!' won't somebody thin of the landlo- I mean students!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Borden posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/airbnb-reaction-housing-1.5350603

Ottawa just setup regulations for AirBnB's to prevent landlords from turning all their properties into hotels. The landlord counter argument is 'This is going to hurt students! How are we supposed to do short term 8 month rentals without having AirBnB?!' won't somebody thin of the landlo- I mean students!

Probably the same way my landlord does it: Month to month flat $500, everything is included except internet, which you purchase yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Probably the same way my landlord does it: Month to month flat $500, everything is included except internet, which you purchase yourself.

God almighty. Where do you live? I pay $1300 a month for only heat included and my landlord is switching over to electric heat to get out of paying for heat.