Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

team overhead smash posted:

B) The Indian who moved here ten years ago, has been specifically helped by the local Labour MP with their immigration paperwork and is worried about service cuts - but might not vote Labour because of their position on Kashmir because India has a right to annex Kashmir to fight terrorism don't you know!

n a t i o n a l i s m i s m i n d p o i s o n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CptAwesome posted:

Playing 'Count the Cranes' is an excellent way to occupy yourself as you come down oxford road

~Laughs Isle-of-Dogs-ishly~

e: For context, basically two of those buildings are more than 30 years old. Almost all are under 20, and all the ones that appear tallest under 10, with at least another dozen going up and another 10 or so still below ground level.

ee: This image shows it a bit better:

Blue is under construction, yellow is planning permission granted.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 7, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

B) The Indian who moved here ten years ago, has been specifically helped by the local Labour MP with their immigration paperwork and is worried about service cuts - but might not vote Labour because of their position on Kashmir because India has a right to annex Kashmir to fight terrorism don't you know!

B is going to be sent to the front lines of that conflict when Boris deports him in 2020

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Royal College of Nursing ballot on Industrial action in Northern Ireland came back with 92% of respondents supporting a strike - gonna be the first time the RCN has gone in strike. This has been brewing for a long time now as unions have been continually negotiating for pay parity with the rest of the UK unsuccessfully.

Unison has a ballot running at the moment also due to close in 3 days so heavily expect them to vote similarly.

So NIs NHS probably gonna fall over a bit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Thomas Aquinas MP.
Heare ye, verily I decree so anely those hommes with at leste thre henns may purchase egges, thus sayeth Iohan Agustin, MP.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

~Laughs Isle-of-Dogs-ishly~

Does this count as dog tax?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It's going to be a tough fight this election, Labour vs. 3 Tory parties, all but 2(?) newspapers, a heavily skewed broadcast media and electoral interfering from 4(?) other countries.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

kustomkarkommando posted:

Royal College of Nursing ballot on Industrial action in Northern Ireland came back with 92% of respondents supporting a strike - gonna be the first time the RCN has gone in strike. This has been brewing for a long time now as unions have been continually negotiating for pay parity with the rest of the UK unsuccessfully.

Unison has a ballot running at the moment also due to close in 3 days so heavily expect them to vote similarly.

So NIs NHS probably gonna fall over a bit

This is devolved isn't it, so not much chance of getting sorted any time soon?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Not sure who the worst person in today's canvassing was:

A) The student with no political position despite their main issue being education and the diametrically opposed Labour/Tory positions on tuition fees.

Though writing it out helped make up my mind, it's B by a mile as.A is merely.uninformed while B is actively supporting human rights abuses.

it's actually the vox pops they had on PM from Chichester who all agreed that social housing was necessary but it couldn't be built anywhere around here because of :byodame: the traffic!!

worst of all was the woman who worked for a loving homeless charity and was talking about how the Tories haven't met their targets for social housing but was going to vote "with regret"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bundy posted:

Dr Bundy prescribes that everyone injects this directly into their veins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhJuhSGOMrg

Just got round to watching this one now.

:staredog:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In another installment of "Pochoclo tries some weird poo poo that came up in the thread", I tried Coke with oat milk and it's actually quite good, tastes a bit like cream soda. Am I a honorary brummie now?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

mehall posted:

I'm glad we could get something sorted for you.

Also, are we okay to say "listen to it on YouTube", if the intention was subtitles for hard of hearing?
I think we went with "enjoy" or "consume" the other night.

If you're asking me personally, As A Deaf Person, I'm comfortable using listen. Like most disabilities, deafness is a spectrum not an absolute; most deaf people have at least some degree of residual hearing, typically boosted by a hearing aid or cochlear implant, and I definitely prefer to hear what I can of the voices and follow along in the subtitles.

This is why it can be super annoying for deaf listeners if the subtitlers try to editorialise/summarise and don't match the audio content exactly - we can tell something is off about what we're hearing vs reading, but have no way to tell what the difference is. I CAN watch TV shows on mute with subs, but it's a bit harder to follow and less enjoyable.

Of course there will also be a segment of the audience who aren't in a position to consume the podcast with sound on and will choose YouTube + subs as their best alternative. I can't speak for those weirdos but it did feel right to use "consume" there. "enjoy" is a) making assumptions and b) sounds like you're talking about some kind of sexual transaction. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Heare ye, verily I decree so anely those hommes with at leste thre henns may purchase egges, thus sayeth Iohan Agustin, MP.

Does this count as dog tax?

Someone once paid it with a map of the island, so I don't see why not.

Of course, it's not really an island... it's a peninsula!

(Apparently the Simpsons have done that joke twice, they're now even ripping themselves off)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

In another installment of "Pochoclo tries some weird poo poo that came up in the thread", I tried Coke with oat milk and it's actually quite good, tastes a bit like cream soda. Am I a honorary brummie now?

Don't milk your cat, you loving weirdo.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

it's actually the vox pops they had on PM from Chichester who all agreed that social housing was necessary but it couldn't be built anywhere around here because of :byodame: the traffic!!

worst of all was the woman who worked for a loving homeless charity and was talking about how the Tories haven't met their targets for social housing but was going to vote "with regret"

Pretty sure a Tory candidate could poo poo in the mouths of every grandmother in Chichester and the fuckers would still vote for them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't milk your cat, you loving weirdo.

So much for the TOLERANT LEFT

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Braggart posted:

Can someone who knows their poo poo comment on how ScotLab as a whole is looking in terms of election chances?

So, while we gained a few seats in 2017, the main thing the surge did was put us close to close-ish in a bunch of places. So there's reason for hope. Whether any of that potential is going to be realised is a different story. Obviously we don't know yet whether we're going to be able to replicate the 2017 miracle in this election. I'm hopeful, but I'm not going to put money on it just yet. This election taking place after a year of constantly pushed-back deadlines means I think Brexit is a lot more of a focus for many people (if you look at the polling since the last election, you can the plunge begin sharply around March (insert standard disclaimer about polling)), and that's specifically a problem in Scotland because, as seems to be our main problem in Scotland generally, the SNP are seen as more credible on our position than we are. So that's a negative.

What's positive is everything else, the nonsense with Frances aside. We're having a belter loving opening to the campaign season, but more than that, motivation and organisation are through the roof. I can only speak for Edinburgh, and only anecdotally, but what I'm seeing here is light-years ahead of the 2017 campaign. Then, we were exhausted, things looked bleak, and the direction was a meant. A whole bunch of energy was put into South, ffs, the only Labour seat in the country, while N&L and East in particular were massively underserviced. This year we have energy, manpower, hope, coordination. My CLP has even concocted some scheme to send Blairites to convert Tories, which strikes me as trying to disinfect a wound by pissing on it, but whatever.

If you're in Edinburgh and you're looking for a good offensive bet, North and Leith is probably the best. If you'd rather play defensively, I'd look to Midlothian.

e: I forgot that Davidson and Kezia are both gone, which can only be a plus.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is devolved isn't it, so not much chance of getting sorted any time soon?

Public sector pay policy is being set up the Department of Finance in the absence of ministerial guidance and theyve decided to largely maintain the 1% pay cap that's been in place for 10 odd years (it's technically axed but no new money was given for pay increases).

Westminster could over rule this but you know it's election time and nothings happening so who exactly they negotiate with is a bit of a mystery

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pochoclo posted:

this turned out to basically be a multi-decade long practical joke played on the tweeter by his father. honestly legit pretty impressive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you are... sort of just mixing milk and coke when you make a float but it does feel weird doing it that way.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ice cream is solid, and has a much higher fat content than milk. that's why it's a float.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ratjaculation posted:

It's going to be a tough fight this election, Labour vs. 3 Tory parties, all but 2(?) newspapers, a heavily skewed broadcast media and electoral interfering from 4(?) other countries.

if the brexit party steal 20-25% of the tory vote it's 1997. They're taking nothing from Labour, they have nothing to offer. The Lib Dems are heroically correcting any misconceptions about their nature. Any notable vote suppression on the tory end (and it's only going to be them affected by winter and brexit) hands us the GE.

we're going to take half of kent and it's loving glorious. I've heard a lifelong tory pub landlord argue that, while he hates jeremy corbyn personally, he's voting labour because "we elect MPs and nobody else can be trusted anyway". I wasted 40 minutes of a cursed child's canvassing time the other day and some neighbours I'm confident aren't otherwise sound came out to chase them off when he loudly announced that any deaths caused be austerity were fine, because now we can spend more

We've got a campaign team begging for help to take the load and, in their massively overstretched state, people are just spontaneously organising poo poo. Let the right savage each other over dregs, the left is larger than it's been in my lifetime and it's represented by one party that the press have made immune to attacks by being too bloody obvious. I've never seen or felt anything like this before, there's so much blood in the water and we've barely started. It is socially acceptable to be an open communist. We must begin making huge gains worldwide if we're going to avoid disaster, and we can, and we will in the UK of all loving places.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

On a semi related note to that song I'm experiencing yiddish for the first time as opposed to german and having a lot of fun with the linguistic differences.

Much as I like german as a language I'm beginning to think I might like yiddish better. It seems much more... melodic than german. If I was making up a lanugage for singing in I'm not sure I could come up with one that sounds better. The way the words flow into each other sounds so good. It seems like a language based around how people actually speak.

I don't get why people get all fussy about whether it's a "real language" or not. It's fuckin great whatever it is.

http://www.klesmer-musik.de/arbetlose.htm

Mordechai Gebirtig owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCt0vkDKfY

Daniel Kahn owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrusP5SZI4

Yiddish owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ft9iuZu0AI

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

CptAwesome posted:

Playing 'Count the Cranes' is an excellent way to occupy yourself as you come down oxford road

I'm so goth I take the 111

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Spangly A posted:

if the brexit party steal 20-25% of the tory vote it's 1997. They're taking nothing from Labour, they have nothing to offer. The Lib Dems are heroically correcting any misconceptions about their nature. Any notable vote suppression on the tory end (and it's only going to be them affected by winter and brexit) hands us the GE.

we're going to take half of kent and it's loving glorious. I've heard a lifelong tory pub landlord argue that, while he hates jeremy corbyn personally, he's voting labour because "we elect MPs and nobody else can be trusted anyway". I wasted 40 minutes of a cursed child's canvassing time the other day and some neighbours I'm confident aren't otherwise sound came out to chase them off when he loudly announced that any deaths caused be austerity were fine, because now we can spend more

We've got a campaign team begging for help to take the load and, in their massively overstretched state, people are just spontaneously organising poo poo. Let the right savage each other over dregs, the left is larger than it's been in my lifetime and it's represented by one party that the press have made immune to attacks by being too bloody obvious. I've never seen or felt anything like this before, there's so much blood in the water and we've barely started. It is socially acceptable to be an open communist. We must begin making huge gains worldwide if we're going to avoid disaster, and we can, and we will in the UK of all loving places.

This is a good post that cheered me up. Thank you Spangles

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGjR0N3QVMc

The most UKMT milonga verse

quote:

Down with usurers
death to all the rentiers,
all the capitalists,
and abominable religion

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Hospital diaries episode 3, turburculosis brain turbo booogaloo.

I see labour MPS are continuing to throw themselves under the bus in The hopes of becoming a Tory. Amazing that being out of action and dead to the world for 3 weeks still means absolutely nothing but the status quo occurs.

Christmas might be ruined though which kind of sucks, can’t fly with the infection in Many cases.

I did get a great hallucinatory trip out of it last night for a solid 6 hours though.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 7, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1192539935309475841
If this becomes the narrative it will help Labour enormously.

quote:

McDonnell is saying to northern voters: "If you voted for Brexit because you were tired of being bossed by a so-called London elite, and being starved of investment while southerners slept on mattresses stuffed with cash, well if you cast your vote for Labour, we'll drown you in money for schools, hospitals, trains and windfarms, and we'll relocate important parts of government, including chunks of the Treasury, to towns and cities near you".

God please let this man be chancellor.

jabby fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 7, 2019

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

jabby posted:

*laughs in miwk gapes*

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm willing to pay more for McDonnell's milk

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jabby posted:

pristine lawns on my tankies

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I'm going to pay someone cash in hand for a few days work. Am I bad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't see why?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1192539765335347201
Hope he does it during the debates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I desperately want to see jeremy corbyn's boris impression now.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ratjaculation posted:

No?

Even if they're gonna dodge the tax on it it's presumably a few hundred quid to someone that's going to spend it in the community rather than stashing it offshore, if you're paying them fair days pay for the work don't stress about it all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OwlFancier posted:

On a semi related note to that song I'm experiencing yiddish for the first time as opposed to german and having a lot of fun with the linguistic differences.

Much as I like german as a language I'm beginning to think I might like yiddish better. It seems much more... melodic than german. If I was making up a lanugage for singing in I'm not sure I could come up with one that sounds better. The way the words flow into each other sounds so good. It seems like a language based around how people actually speak.

I don't get why people get all fussy about whether it's a "real language" or not. It's fuckin great whatever it is.

http://www.klesmer-musik.de/arbetlose.htm

I find Yiddish has the 'strong' sound of German, but with the snide-ishness sound of a more Eastern European language, making it fantastic language to sound sarcastic in, as well as to sing in.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Looking forward to watching Corbyn gently caress a pig on live TV.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ratjaculation posted:

The amount by which your man in a van type tradesmen are depriving the treasury is miniscule in comparison to the amount which the building corporations have deprived workers in the whole industry of over the years, and no doubt the treasury too.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I desperately want to see jeremy corbyn's boris impression now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sytRVJ7MnzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

The amount by which your man in a van type tradesmen are depriving the treasury is miniscule in comparison to the amount which the building corporations have deprived workers in the whole industry of over the years, and no doubt the treasury too.

I wish I had a van :(