Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lawman 0 posted:

Free idea for battletech 2 would be to make most of your mechwarriors prima donnas with alot of negative personality traits that could crib from crusader kings. Might make fielding vehicles and infantry with a bunch of proles worth it if you know that your mechwarriors decide to get pissy and insubordinate

Lawman 0 posted:

"Help my 10-15 mechwarriors have unionized!"

The game already has a ton of traits and backgrounds and poo poo for your mechwarriors, it's just that they mostly don't do anything.

Imagine if you tried to put a guy with a Steiner background into a Hatchetman and they're like gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME, NEED MORE TONS BITCH *commandeers the lovely Dragon you forgot to sell*

"Commander, Glitch just finished off a case of Spheriod Light Ice Platinum 5 minutes before the drop!" :piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sean10mm posted:

The game already has a ton of traits and backgrounds and poo poo for your mechwarriors, it's just that they mostly don't do anything.

Imagine if you tried to put a guy with a Steiner background into a Hatchetman and they're like gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME, NEED MORE TONS BITCH *commandeers the lovely Dragon you forgot to sell*

"Commander, Glitch just finished off a case of Spheriod Light Ice Platinum 5 minutes before the drop!" :piss:

:yeshaha:

Give me some additional fuckery

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Dekker stubbed his toe and fell out the airlock again."

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

My drunkard Glitch keeps making GBS threads in Medusa's bunk.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

"Why the gently caress did dekker strip down the armor on his mech for an extra weapon?"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope when Battletech 2 comes out one of your starting pilots is Dekker Jr.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope when Battletech 2 comes out one of your starting pilots is Dekker Jr.

This is thinking small you should be able to recruit his entire house.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lawman 0 posted:

A flashpoint where you side with another mercenary force, the Stacked Deck.

Their dropship gets shot out of the sky before the mission starts, only a sole survivor makes it down. Sumire lands on him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

In Cicada 2As as far as the eye can see.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

A flashpoint where you side with another mercenary force, the Stacked Deck.

Their dropship gets shot out of the sky before the mission starts, only a sole survivor makes it down. Sumire lands on him.

:discourse:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sean10mm posted:

In Cicada 2As as far as the eye can see.

Please they should descend on you in a swarm of locusts :yeshaha:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Please they should descend on you in a swarm of locusts :yeshaha:

Cicada is even worse tho :thejoke:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Make it Spiders, for consistency's sake.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

PMush Perfect posted:

Make it Spiders, for consistency's sake.

Dekker formerly piloting the Locust that's gathering dust in the Leopard's cargo bay is canon. If you talk to Darius you can hear about the time he almost bit the dust in it but Mastiff saved his rear end.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ what did you people do to Dekker?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Most people are bad and get him killed because they never pull him out of the spider or uparmor it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Norton the First posted:

Jesus Christ what did you people do to Dekker?

There's a meme about how Dekker always dies, to the point where the devs made it an achievement to not get him killed in the campaign. People even had conspiracy theories about how he had a higher chance to be hit because the RNG was programmed to "cheat" against Dekker.

Stravag posted:

Most people are bad and get him killed because they never pull him out of the spider or uparmor it

But it's really this.

e: His motto in-game is "Any battle you can walk away from is a victory" though :laugh:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 7, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

sean10mm posted:

this, really. of all the sins Battletech has (which is admittedly not a lot), underdeveloping the Pilot Traits is imo one of the biggest ones.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Stravag posted:

I got him up to a 10/10/10/10 pilot, then he died from an AC20 shot to the head of his King Crab. There's gotta be some RNG fuckery going on with his character.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If there was, you wouldn't have gotten him to 10/10/10/10 and put him in a King Crab

:xcom: baby

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Psycho Landlord posted:

If there was, you wouldn't have gotten him to 10/10/10/10 and put him in a King Crab

:xcom: baby

No kidding lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

this, really. of all the sins Battletech has (which is admittedly not a lot), underdeveloping the Pilot Traits is imo one of the biggest ones.

My bigger take on this is that for the 'emergent story magic' to take hold the player needs to be able to assign character to their units. It's why XCOM soldiers have these huge comically exaggerated features - even if you are rotating through a squad you recognise and remember soldiers, and because they're always filling distinct niches it's easy to form stories about them. Battletech has a problem in that the units you control and identify with are the mechs, not the pilots. You can assign mechs individual character to make them interesting (quirks) but you can't really tell stories about the mech.

Dekker didn't just become a meme because he dies all the time, Dekker is the meme because almost certainly for most players he is your 'light mech pilot' who probably stayed in light mechs while others were upgrading until he died. Therefore whenever you saw a light mech on the battlefield, you identified it with Dekker.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Battletech has a problem in that the units you control and identify with are the mechs, not the pilots. You can assign mechs individual character to make them interesting (quirks) but you can't really tell stories about the mech.

This is a very neat point and I would like to see pilots come with their own color schemes to counteract it. Like, the pilot has their own flying colors so you plop them in the seat and they automatically go 'poo poo, throw my purple on' or whatnot.

That way you can easily sort of tell who's doing what, and it turns it from 'x mech is good' to 'that green guy over there!' sort of deal.
favorite chassis/weight classes might be sort of neat. Maybe something minor like a bit of xp/morale gain if they're in a comfort zone - or something if they're out of it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I want more camo choices in general and never found any mods for that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Your units also had a lot more personality in MechCommander because whenever you selected them you'd get constant reminders of who they were and their personalities, ie "Rooster here."

That method doesn't quite work in HBS Battletech because of the randomly generated pilots and the only two memorable voice overs being Glitch and deadpan Russian lady.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Having different "Classes" of pilot might be another way to handle it, at the cost of having much more abilities to flesh out. Since the existing progression is going up the tonnage range, you'd want to tie pilot classes to 'mech archetypes and battlefield role like trooper, striker, cavalry, scout, and so on. These already exist in-game as fluff; the Dragon, for example, is a Heavy Cavalry(?) mech.
Keep the existing gunnery/piloting/guts/tactics attributes, but each class of mechwarrior gets different abilities available. So a scout 'mech pilot with high Guts might be able to use his jumpjets to vent heat, while a scout mechwarrior with high piloting might get full movement and evasion even if he loses a leg or gets knocked down. This means you need a lot more skills and I'm not sure Battletech is systematically complex enough to make interesting choices out of all of those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

the only two memorable voice overs being Glitch and deadpan Russian lady.
This is Archangel erasure.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Your units also had a lot more personality in MechCommander because whenever you selected them you'd get constant reminders of who they were and their personalities, ie "Rooster here."

That method doesn't quite work in HBS Battletech because of the randomly generated pilots and the only two memorable voice overs being Glitch and deadpan Russian lady.

Next game should replace the pilot voices with George Ledoux as narrator. Have the game check mech location, condition, and proximity to generate lines.

“There's two kinds of pilot who close to melee a King Crab in a Locust: the dead ones, and the about to be dead ones.”

It's Paradox, so allow players to purchase additional combat commentary as DLC.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Dont ever encourage hbs to go full paradox ever again please

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
bit of an odd question but when you go to the corp customization, what's the name of the largest mech you see in miniature form? i can't get a screenshot, but it's the one that has the big AC below the atlas.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

Next game should replace the pilot voices with George Ledoux as narrator. Have the game check mech location, condition, and proximity to generate lines.

“There's two kinds of pilot who close to melee a King Crab in a Locust: the dead ones, and the about to be dead ones.”

would purchase

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Narsham posted:

George Ledoux doing voices or story narration would kick rear end. The commentary in MW4M solaris was among the best gaming moments I've had ever.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Narsham posted:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

George Ledoux doing voices or story narration would kick rear end. The commentary in MW4M solaris was among the best gaming moments I've had ever.

god this would be the best thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvjcCHjvok

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

One of MW4:Mercs biggest strengths was how it could reuse maps that only changed in terms of the units you fought and VA lines spoken, but were better for it because the story you experienced evolved. And the dialogue reflected that.

That and most everyone that wasn't a recruitable pilot sounded like an actual person.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Stravag posted:

My Dekker died in the very first mission out of the tutorial, so there was never a chance for me to get him a better ride. :colbert:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

The best pilot quirk to implement would be mech preference. Slowly gain bonuses for using the same mech, and penalties for deviating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sinburger posted:

penalties for deviating.
You had me up until this part.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sinburger posted:

The best pilot quirk to implement would be mech preference. Slowly gain bonuses for using the same mech, and penalties for deviating.

I agree actually but for weight class

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

You forgot irritating nasal yesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Conspiratiorist posted:

My friend discovered the Minnesota lady MechWarrior, and changed all of his pilots to that voice immediately