Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Notahippie posted:

I buy this argument but my reaction has been to stick with Warren because Sander's theory of change requires sustained grassroots effort and if he can't turn that out to actually win the primary then he'll probably fail to execute it as a candidate or president. So I figure that either he turns out people and wins despite me, or I vote for Warren whose insider approach will deliver incremental but not transformational change.

Incremental change is just suicide that takes longer for two reasons. One, we ain't got time for that poo poo with climate change. We go big or billions die. Two, any incremental changes will be thoroughly and absolutely rat-hosed raw dog style by Republicans, their propaganda machine, the judiciary they've captured for the next 30-40 years and the wealthy elite behind most of it.

To be completely fair, any large scale changes will have the same treatment and I don't put forward big changes in an optimistic light in opposition to the above. Even if we go pants-on-head loony bin optimist and say day one of President Bernie's term the country gets Medicare for All signed in to law and some insurance company CEOs get introduced to lamp posts via rope, the same scenario outlined above will take place. All those same forces will do their level best to make sure people suffer and die as much as possible to continue the narrative that government is the problem. The hideous goat rope turnstile that was ACA going back to the courts over every loving comma and letter would be cranked up to 11.

The difference is that inevitable fighting wouldn't be over a half-step in sorta, kinda the right direction with a sloppy blowjob to the monied interests fighting against it anyway. It would be those same forces fighting against a big leap in the right direction that is telling them to get hosed.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I can appreciate incremental change as a theory but I think we are getting to the point where the inflation of our shittiness is outpacing anything short of drastic changes. See climate change, for example — also I don’t believe in incremental changes for social justice, though I know it’s probably the best approach. I don’t believe we should “incrementally” stop being racist, xenophobic war mongers. I don’t think we should “incrementally” give people better health care. I don’t think we should “incrementally” combat police violence against minorities. I don’t think we should “incrementally” tru to get rid of the Nazis that are starting to pop up.

And so on and so forth. I don’t think we have time anymore for incremental change from the inside.

I don’t know what the solution is though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Those workers love getting hosed over if it fucks over black people

If we ever end up with a no-poo poo "populism, but also racism" candidate, we're so hosed

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ahem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdneye4pzMw

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Re: Gates

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1192234979029323777?s=19

If you're making it your life's goal to make the world better by leveraging your wealth then your billions should be shrinking because you spend more than you keep and a good person couldn't possibly blow through like 50m lifetime max including on their family? So again, can't be a good person if you're a billionaire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

If we ever end up with a no-poo poo "populism, but also racism" candidate, we're so hosed

Um

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MA-Horus posted:

He's pushing his opinions, which is what Dan Carlin always does. He's not a historian after all.

there is no unbiased history, just like there is no unbiased journalism :hist101:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Trump isn’t actually populist. He’s a crass McConnell, domestically.

Imagine someone actually helping Joe/Jane Everyperson with healthcare costs and wages while simultaneously promising to turbofuck the “other.” Such a person could really go places in America.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

in other current events, 11foot8 is dead. Long live 11foot8plus8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiiEPSKrCMk

The Gregson Street trestle bridge in Durham, NC is famous for exposing the hubris of truck drivers, and the contents of their trailers. Recently, the NC Railroad Company discovered that there was a grade difference between that bridge and the nearby Duke St. bridge, allowing them to raise the Gregson bridge by 8 inches. It's still over a foot shorter than the max height for trucks in the US, so we'll still have entertainment. And a giant i-beam crash bar.

Fun fact, the warehouses you see in the video are mostly tobacco drying and processing warehouses. The area is supposed to smell great!

more vids and pics at http://11foot8.com

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

Trump isn’t actually populist. He’s a crass McConnell, domestically.

Imagine someone actually helping Joe/Jane Everyperson with healthcare costs and wages while simultaneously promising to turbofuck the “other.” Such a person could really go places in America.

That's probably fair. And he's probably gonna win come 2024

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Populism in practice just means appealing to the worst tendencies of the dumbest people in your country, then robbing them blind.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Casimir Radon posted:

Populism in practice just means appealing to the worst tendencies of the dumbest people in your country, then robbing them blind.

That’s just politics, dude.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Incremental change is just suicide that takes longer for two reasons. One, we ain't got time for that poo poo with climate change. We go big or billions die. Two, any incremental changes will be thoroughly and absolutely rat-hosed raw dog style by Republicans, their propaganda machine, the judiciary they've captured for the next 30-40 years and the wealthy elite behind most of it.

To be completely fair, any large scale changes will have the same treatment and I don't put forward big changes in an optimistic light in opposition to the above. Even if we go pants-on-head loony bin optimist and say day one of President Bernie's term the country gets Medicare for All signed in to law and some insurance company CEOs get introduced to lamp posts via rope, the same scenario outlined above will take place. All those same forces will do their level best to make sure people suffer and die as much as possible to continue the narrative that government is the problem. The hideous goat rope turnstile that was ACA going back to the courts over every loving comma and letter would be cranked up to 11.

The difference is that inevitable fighting wouldn't be over a half-step in sorta, kinda the right direction with a sloppy blowjob to the monied interests fighting against it anyway. It would be those same forces fighting against a big leap in the right direction that is telling them to get hosed.

Hard agree with this. We are probably hosed, but if we go for further incremental change we are absolutely hosed. The system is deeply biased against actual democratically representing the will of the people, and the only way that changes (and we avoid apocalyptic climate change) is by drastic change that takes power out if the hands of those who currently hold it.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Look you dumb cunts.

All I did was say those amazon ads were because they were hiring seasonally.

Some of you stupid fucks just love misinterpreting poo poo.

gently caress you all, give me a 72.

Especially gently caress you. I said they pay better and have decent benefits, I'm not sucking Bezos cock you trite bitch.

Even if Amazon treats their employees better they still treat them like poo poo while bezos sits around with obscene levels of money he admits he doesn't know what to do with.

The entire situation is disgusting and Amazon/bezos have zero moral high ground.

Absolutely none.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Look you dumb cunts.

All I did was say those amazon ads were because they were hiring seasonally.

Some of you stupid fucks just love misinterpreting poo poo.

gently caress you all, give me a 72.

Especially gently caress you. I said they pay better and have decent benefits, I'm not sucking Bezos cock you trite bitch.

If you want time off, do it your own self. I'm not going to indulge someone who has a tantrum.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Forgot to smoke his weed for the day

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dwanyelle posted:

Even if Amazon treats their employees better they still treat them like poo poo while bezos sits around with obscene levels of money he admits he doesn't know what to do with.

The entire situation is disgusting and Amazon/bezos have zero moral high ground.

Absolutely none.

Well they do have the moral high ground over worse employers, though that's really not saying much of anything.

Do you ever get tired of making sweeping declarations? It makes you seem v.exciteable

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well they do have the moral high ground over worse employers, though that's really not saying much of anything.

Do you ever get tired of making sweeping declarations? It makes you seem v.exciteable

Nah.

Theres not a moral high ground amount international corporations. It doesn't matter if any particular one might be better than others in some metrics or so. The entire concept is abhorrent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A lot of us work directly or indirectly for the federal government so just loving lol at having a huge issue with amazon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Jesus loving Moses on a stick.

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/1192567595011981312?s=19

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1192569716910546945?s=19

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I generally detest the federal government, too.

In fact, part of why I loathe myself is I used to be stupid enough to work for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals. With taxes, this can be done imperceptibly over time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The bar for Amazon to go from "one of the absolute worst employers as an aggregate" to "lovely just like the rest of them" involves letting their employees pee.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

gently caress a duck

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Can't wait to see even more millions of dollars be wasted that would have been better spent on literally anything else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

People get mad about wasting money on fireworks but at least they bring some spark of joy to more than ones self.

An obviously wasted campaign... why

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That Works posted:

People get mad about wasting money on fireworks but at least they bring some spark of joy to more than ones self.

Well...when the fireworks dont give puppies heartattacks or cause then such stress their eyes rupture sure...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

Most likely a desperate attempt to torpedo Warren. Objectively speaking, if current trends continue and the polling isn't horrifically inaccurate everywhere, she's probably the most likely person to be the nominee, and her plans for increased regulation on Wall Street and taxing wealth has got the the billionaire class clutching pearls like nothing else.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Works posted:

He will probably also wind up signing up as an independent to try to split the vote if he doesn't get the nomination, cause he's scared of Bernie and Warren.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Being a billionaire is the most unpatriotic thing you can be

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
drat ol Mayor Burns is probably gonna threaten to split the ticket if his policy choices don't get incorporated into the party platform.

No more billionaires

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I were a billionaire I'd use my vast wealth to improve the world. But I'm not a sociopath, and therefore my chances of ever having that kind of money aren't really worth mentioning.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50338231

quote:

A New York judge has ordered President Donald Trump to pay $2m (£1.6m) for misusing funds from his charity to finance his 2016 political campaign.

The Donald J Trump Foundation closed down in 2018, after prosecutors accused it of working as "little more than a chequebook" for Mr Trump's interests.

Charities such as the one Mr Trump and his three eldest children headed cannot engage in politics, the judge ruled.

She said the money must be paid by Mr Trump himself.

"I direct Mr Trump to pay the $2,000,000, which would have gone to the Foundation if it were still in existence," wrote Judge Saliann Scarpulla.

She said the money should go to eight charities Mr Trump has no relationship to.

Mr Trump "breached his fiduciary duty" by allowing funds raised for US veterans to be used for the Iowa primary election in 2016, she said in the settlement.

I am shocked.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So he's got the troop vote right

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m imagining a general election between two lovely New York billionaires with authoritarian aspirations and I can feel my blood pressure climbing to levels more commonly seen in commercial pressure washers.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m imagining a general election between two lovely New York billionaires with authoritarian aspirations and I can feel my blood pressure climbing to levels more commonly seen in commercial pressure washers.

There would be no functional difference between the outcome of that race and the one between Kang and Kodos on The Simpsons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/athertonkd/status/1192574278534721536?s=21

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard