Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Katamari Democracy posted:

What about that Pz.Kpfw. IV? I got 3k bonds to throw away. Should I buy that or wait to get equipment / other crap instead?

I've got a Pz4 hydroponics it's ok I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The m48 bulldozer seems like it isnt good at anything, at all? just eyeballing stats haven't watched any reviews or anything.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

new C&C mammoth double barrel tanks will start from the kv3 yeah?

Mesadoram posted:

Also I found the KV-3 grind to be super loving easy. I got like 70k XP and stopped because that Should be enough.

I'm aiming for closer to 90k XP. The actual grind down each line to tier 10 is supposed to be roughly equal between tiers (including required modules and such) but while tank cost can vary, tier 8s seem to be around that 90k value. It was actually a pain in the rear end to try to get that estimate, though, because once you've researched a tank you can no longer see what it cost, and I have literally everything researched to at least tier 8. Plus, the XP values aren't listed on the Tankopedia or Wiki either. I had to ask one of the other goons we play with (Blitz?) to look at tier 8s he hasn't researched to see the XP costs.

McGavin posted:

The KV-3 is still godlike at tier 7.

I hadn't played it in a while, and I think I prefer the IS between the two, but the KV-3 is definitely surprisingly effective, and I've banked like 70-80k XP on it in no time.

BadLlama posted:

I kind of want to spend 1,500 bonds to buy that T-34 with spaced armor just because it looks cool, but I bet it doesn't get pref mm and is actual poo poo.

What about that Pz.Kpfw. IV? I got 3k bonds to throw away. Should I buy that or wait to get equipment / other crap instead?

Save your bonds. Even if the T-34S (or that Pz 5/4 or Hydro or whichever one you're thinking of) was good and/or you really want it, it'll eventually go back on sale. You'll want to have those bonds for something that you can't buy any other way (like the tier 10 clan wars rewards tanks.)

Turmoilx posted:

important mod to have TIL, its called "dispersion circle" in that aslains or whatever the name is, installer, highly recommend

update on this, i think i've been tricked again and im starting to remember pretty sure it has tricked me before, its actually troll and isnt accurate :/ tested it with progetto 46 at first so thought it was great but it isnt

What does the mod do? I don't recognize the name of it but I have so many mods installed it's probably one of them.

BadLlama posted:

The m48 bulldozer seems like it isnt good at anything, at all? just eyeballing stats haven't watched any reviews or anything.

It seems like a German Super Pershing that doesn't get pref MM or multi-national status. :shrug:

On the other hand, it has a bulldozer which is :krad:

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Atomizer posted:

It seems like a German Super Pershing that doesn't get pref MM or multi-national status. :shrug:

On the other hand, it has a bulldozer which is :krad:

It is rad, but the bulldozer blade is only 30 mm of spaced armor. It seems it doesn't stop anything because the LFP is paper.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

I'm aiming for closer to 90k XP. The actual grind down each line to tier 10 is supposed to be roughly equal between tiers (including required modules and such) but while tank cost can vary, tier 8s seem to be around that 90k value. It was actually a pain in the rear end to try to get that estimate, though, because once you've researched a tank you can no longer see what it cost, and I have literally everything researched to at least tier 8. Plus, the XP values aren't listed on the Tankopedia or Wiki either. I had to ask one of the other goons we play with (Blitz?) to look at tier 8s he hasn't researched to see the XP costs.

Ugh.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Some tier 8 heavies are only 50k exp, so.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
As a brand new player, how should I find more info on which grind to take on?

Is there some keystones I should look to?

I know the KV-1 is king poo poo of noob mountain (thanks Youtube), so that's my first step. I opened with the german tanks from the tutorial but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the pz 35 and 38.

I've also got the Excelsior due to the code thingy I used. Is it worth learning that tank before I pick a grind? I feel that I might not gain much if I'm playing Tier 5+ with it.

How should I look at tiers? Is this analogous to Mario Kart's 50-250cc races? I'm trying to properly wrap my mind around what to target/what goals I should realistically set, and where I should focus.

Last question: Should I ignore any tiers? Should I ignore any tank types? I ask because I know that in an FPS, slapping on a sniper might teach me some lovely habit. I'm sorry all Iv'e got are odd analogies to other games. Hopefully I can catch up on the lingo/concepts quickly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Last question: Should I ignore any tiers? Should I ignore any tank types? I ask because I know that in an FPS, slapping on a sniper might teach me some lovely habit. I'm sorry all Iv'e got are odd analogies to other games. Hopefully I can catch up on the lingo/concepts quickly.

Don't ignore tiers, but you should avoid light tanks above tier 4 until you have an understanding of how the view range mechanics work.

As a new player, your first goal should be to understand how the view range mechanics work. There are tutorials on YouTube that explain it.

Initially, I'd recommend sticking to heavily armoured single shot tanks with good gun depression, such as the American or British heavies. Also, avoid autoloading tanks until you're comfortable with single shot tanks, because the skill required to use them effectively is higher due to the long reload.

Finally, NEVER USE HE AMMO.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

I got a 30% win rate on my E 25. Ask me anything

do you sit in bush and shoot gun?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

Finally, NEVER USE HE AMMO.

*Unless you understand how and when to use them. And even then...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/ErffHzi.mp4

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Slaapaav posted:

do you sit in bush and shoot gun?

I also run away when I hear the tank noises. But alas I get owned...

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Wargaming has some decent tutorials but they require several views before anything really "Clicks". Because you are new to the game I agree to at least look at the spotting mechanics before you settle on what tank lines you want to work on first. Also Keystones? Didnt know Diablo 3 mechanics were in this game.

quote:

I know the KV-1 is king poo poo of noob mountain (thanks Youtube), so that's my first step. I opened with the german tanks from the tutorial but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the pz 35 and 38.
KV-2 > KV-1. But you are basically playing a "Derp" tank. Basically a very high damaging glass cannon eyesore. Unicums could make it work but if you survive after firing the first shot you either are lucky or your team mates are stupid.

quote:

I've also got the Excelsior due to the code thingy I used. Is it worth learning that tank before I pick a grind? I feel that I might not gain much if I'm playing Tier 5+ with it.
Sure! Just make absolutely sure when you see a tank the front of your tank and the turret has to be facing your enemy. Otherwise they are going to shoot the tracks on the tank and make you immobile, flank you, and toast you.

quote:

How should I look at tiers? Is this analogous to Mario Kart's 50-250cc races? I'm trying to properly wrap my mind around what to target/what goals I should realistically set, and where I should focus.
Higher tiers are basically better more scarier tanks most of the time. You will be strapped into games where you will see some real unfair poo poo with the matchmaking. Don't worry its all part of the experience. You can hate us later.

quote:

I somewhat dislike Tier 7 because most of the time you might find yourself in a not so great tank. But keep grinding because it will get better most of the time. Let us know what you are working on.

IGNORE ARTY AND gently caress YOU IF YOU CONSIDERED PLAYING IT

Also picture this game as an extremely slow FPS with constant parameters changing depending on who you are battling and what tank they are driving. I cant wait till you ask about OP premium tanks and how unfair they can be. Because they are :allears:

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2019

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Thanks everyone.

By keystone, I meant "this tank exemplifies/is top poo poo in this tier". I'm not sure how it's used in D3.

In summary: Figure out how to spot without getting spotted. No HE. No Arty.

I might make a romp up the British line and give those a go then. KV-1 in the videos I watched showed it being an armored monster with a pretty forgiving playstyle but it sounds like it was changed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Biggest meme of all, after we traded those shots my team blew him up.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Also KV1 is good. Hell I would work on that line if you like the idea of dual barrel tanks coming to the game in the near future.

Also are you in US? I can send you an invite to our clan later today when I get off work. We even have a discord that I can pull you in if you want.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thanks everyone.

By keystone, I meant "this tank exemplifies/is top poo poo in this tier". I'm not sure how it's used in D3.

In summary: Figure out how to spot without getting spotted. No HE. No Arty.

I might make a romp up the British line and give those a go then. KV-1 in the videos I watched showed it being an armored monster with a pretty forgiving playstyle but it sounds like it was changed.

The IS-7 and the 140/430U line are considered to be the most consistent, solid and new player friendly lines. The Italian mediums are very good as well, and they introduce you to babies-first auto loader/auto re-loader. If you are feeling like you are getting the hang of that kind of play style, the Batchat line, while can be very painful at the lower levels, leads to one of my favorite T10s in the game.

There is nothing Wrong so to speak with arty. But people are so acrimonious about arty that you might be on the receiving end of a lot of hate for even using them in battle.

Just as a bit of warning for the British heavies, Anything below T8 is considered to be "painful" to grind. T8+ are some of the best tanks in the game. Personally, I loved all of them. That is also something about this game, some tanks will just click with you. When they do, don't sell those ones.

If you want to go up a TD tree, I would suggest the 268 V4 line. Nimble and hard hitting tanks.

If you want to go up a light line, I would suggest the T-100 line or the Sheridan. Both are easy to understand and play lines.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Sheridan at top tiers is some hilarious poo poo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Also KV1 is good. Hell I would work on that line if you like the idea of dual barrel tanks coming to the game in the near future.

Also are you in US? I can send you an invite to our clan later today when I get off work. We even have a discord that I can pull you in if you want.

Yep, EST.

Spunkrocket is the name. Offloading ordinance is the game.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

If you find you really really like the light tank game (it's not the easiest to play since it requires more game knowledge than other classes), the French EBR line is currently completely broken at higher tiers. The EBR 105 is far and away the best light tank in the game right now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm hoping I find stuff to do in the lower tiers rather than jumping on a grind immediately.

I'm trying to week off WoW Classic grinds.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
RIght now I would suggest the 430U line over the IS7. After having finally gotten the IS7 and now starting back up from the IS2M, that line is definitely a lot easier to leverage your armor. Of course, that is all subjective. I also really liked the E100 line (up until the E100) but the KT is traditionally considered rather weak.

localloop
Jan 2, 2007
I honestly think the Campaigns are a good way to get better, as you have specific goals that you need to play for which sort of helps focus your attention to playing a certain way. Some of those goals are bullshit and some are counterproductive to your team, but I think it is useful in the big picture. Plus you get free tanks.
Downside is you will need to play arty, but honestly I think the different playstyle can be fun in small doses.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo the WZ-111-1G FT (the non-premium Tier VIII) is a loving horrible slog.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAbQToXgxc

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Yep, EST.

Sent you a friend request and a clan invite to the gayest clan in World of Tanks [Pansy].

We will show you the ropes.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allears:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Don't go down the British heavy line, up until the tier 9 they are dpm based with bad armor layouts and slow as hell so need a decent understanding of the game to do well in. I would also stay away from anything French because while they are powerful in the right hands if you don't have the skills you will be more of a liability on your team than normal. The tier 8 french wheeled tank is on the other-hand just a fun go kart to go zoom zoom in.

Concentrate on learning the tactics you need first over "good tanks". A poor tank in the right place is better for your team than a good tank in the wrong place. Get used to the spotting mechanics, angling armor when you have it, the best places to be on a map with what kind of tank (don't hang at the back camping with the TDs with a heavy for example) and shooting lines from invisible red tanks.

Also never rely on your team to do anything other than suck and fail. Get your carrying pants on now as you team will mostly be cretins who can't use a mouse and breath at the same time. If this frustrates you stop playing or start drinking heavily. If you complain about idiots losing the game then you were the one who lost it as the same amount of idiots are on the other side as are on yours.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Don't be afraid to pick up and run. As Hellsau says, 1 HP > 0 HP.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Yep, EST.

I went for The KV-1 as my first tier 5 heavy when I started. Its still good but You have to go through the T-28 to get it. As a new player you're going to struggle with the t-28. It took me 32 battles on a free to play account to grind the T-28 with a 43% winrate. I had a 54% winrate in the KV-1 and 59% in the KV-1s. So I would recommend going down that road.

The number of tanks in this game has gotten out of hand and the tanks are totally un balanced. Don't buy a premium tank without asking some decent vets if it's any good first.

It's ok to stay at low tiers, but you will learn more (if you study the game) at high tiers. Play the game however you want. A lot of nerds will rage at you. 90% of them will be just as bad or worse at the game then you.

Crew skills are extremely important. When you level up a crewmember research what skill is best to pick. Never use the 50% training option.

Equipment is expensive but you need it on all your tanks. The best setup 90% of the time is gun rammer, vertical stabilizer, coated optics or vents. Small repair kit, Small first aid kit, and an Automatic Fire Extinguisher. I wish I didn't play my first 3,000 games without using consumables because I thought it was too expensive, it's not.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 8, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sparq posted:

It is rad, but the bulldozer blade is only 30 mm of spaced armor. It seems it doesn't stop anything because the LFP is paper.

It was more a comment about how having a dozer on a tank is just cool by itself, but it should at least block HEAT due to the standoff effect. Also it obstructs the view of the hull, so a poorly aimed shot at the LFP might just miss.

McGavin posted:

Some tier 8 heavies are only 50k exp, so.

True, but that generally means the tank is blocked behind a mandatory turret and 3-gun grind or something.

However, I've just realized that tanks.gg both lists tank XP research costs, and if you mouse over it will give you total amounts up to that tank in the line, which is super helpful. Then if you go to the details of a tank it will show you the modules page with XP costs. Too helpful to be in the game's client, unfortunately! :rolleyes:

Anyways, for examples, the KV4 is about 85k from the KV3 just going off the mandatory modules leading to the tank itself, while the IS leads to the ISM and IS3, both of which are ~106k XP. The difference between the IS's child tanks is that the ISM costs only 58k to the IS3's 77k, but the 19k difference is exactly the cost of the mandatory gun leading to the ISM. The KV4, however takes about 75k less XP to get to that point versus the other two tanks, and ultimately the IS4 takes <700k while the other 3 Soviet HTs are all over 700k XP.

So ultimately this just means the actual cost of the IS3II or whatever it's going to be called is going to be wildly variable based on the modules that they lock it behind, so I still think the 60-100k range is a decent rough guide for how much to bank on the KV3. I'd just suggest doing what I've been doing, as in playing the KV3 for dailies and when platoonmates want to do tier 7, rather than intentionally trying to bank as much XP as fast as possible.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm hoping I find stuff to do in the lower tiers rather than jumping on a grind immediately.

I'm trying to week off WoW Classic grinds.

I offer a couple of suggestions to new players. First, play and elite all of the tier 1 tanks so that you have every other line unlocked and can go down any other line in the future. Plus you can sell those tier 1s for the garage slots (they're free to re-buy if necessary, although I'd suggest keeping all of your crew members which will require hanging onto some of those tier 1s because crew bunks will become an issue.) Second, focus on the US, USSR, or German MT or HT lines. Those nationalities are the oldest in the game and have the most variety in their tank trees, plus they're generally easy to play without learning new mechanics like autoloaders on fast unarmored tanks. Finally, get on Discord and platoon with goons, there are plenty of us willing to play low tiers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Atomizer posted:

I offer a couple of suggestions to new players. First, play and elite all of the tier 1 tanks so that you have every other line unlocked and can go down any other line in the future. Plus you can sell those tier 1s for the garage slots (they're free to re-buy if necessary, although I'd suggest keeping all of your crew members which will require hanging onto some of those tier 1s because crew bunks will become an issue.)

Expanding on this, you should elite and sell all the tier 1 tanks ASAP because you can only sell 5 tanks a day, and there are way more than 5 tier 1 tanks now. Getting them out of the way early and opening up the garage slots will help a lot later.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If you complain about idiots losing the game then you were the one who lost it as the same amount of idiots are on the other side as are on yours.

If you use XVM you realize how false this is. Some games you are 100% entitled to complain about the window lickers matchmaker has shafted you with.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think for a new player American mediums are the way to go to learn the game, they are good all around, not great but have the right ergonomics so a new player isn't fighting their own tank half the time.

The russian heavy line is derpy easy to play, but I don't think it really help you learn the important concepts right away? Outside of angling I guess I dunno. It still a fine line to start on. You could even consider starting in the polish heavy line if you basically want russian heavies with bigger guns.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Polish heavies have the same problem as the Brits of being absolute rear end until tier 8.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
Yeah focus on RU tanks. IS-7 line first and the OBJ. 430U next. Then US Medium tanks M48 and heavies up to the T29.

I the guys on discord are fun. I'm missing out on some good platoons working nights.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have a bunch of women I can recruit but they don't say where I got them from, did we get some ladies from something in the past few months?

Just says "A unique crew member"

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

BadLlama posted:

I have a bunch of women I can recruit but they don't say where I got them from, did we get some ladies from something in the past few months?

Just says "A unique crew member"

Did you accomplish campaign missions?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

McGavin posted:

If you use XVM you realize how false this is. Some games you are 100% entitled to complain about the window lickers matchmaker has shafted you with.

Just make sure to whine after you do your best to win and are failed.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Did you accomplish campaign missions?

Ive completed most of them, but those generally say "Award for Object 260" or w/e

oh well doesnt matter i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

I swear I had good intentions