Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I rescind this post.

Cyberpunk was being actively worked from at least some point in 2014 so it's nearly as old as Star Citizen.

Cat tax:

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Look, you have to agree to this before Chris lets you give him money!

Chris bless us, everyone!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

redchris18, an intellectual.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 7, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arvF2rdUg3Q

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Is it me, or does it seem like the True Star Citizens are getting crazier lately?

The craziness triples every second, don't you know?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

zcrow posted:

Anyone know how to make a deep fake?

CIG does. It's called "Star Citizen."

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG does. It's called "Star Citizen."

:five: :vince: :five:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/gomovies_app/status/1192516661963821059

"ScreenRant posted:

Is Star Citizen still going to be released? That seems to be the case, but the situation surrounding the game isn’t that simple. Cloud Imperium Games, the developer of Star Citizen, was founded to produce the game by Director Chris Roberts. The crowdfunded campaign for the game is the most successful in entertainment history.

One reason why so many people invested in the game is for Chris Roberts, the renowned creator of Wing Commander. Star Citizen initially aimed to be a space-flight simulator with dogfighting and trading across the galaxy. Fans of Wing Commander imagined that Star Citizen would be its spiritual successor, with updated graphics and the potential for VR. In 2012, the game immediately past its first fundraising goal. In turn, Cloud Imperium Games was forced to adjust the scale of the game to match the excessive amounts of investment money coming in. Although originally planned as a game with a maximum budget of four million dollars (the previous record for crowdfunding), Star Citizen has climbed to over 230 million dollars.

For all the considerable fundraising achievements Star Citizen has hit, the game has also been plagued by mishandled money and lack of focus. To be fair, Cloud Imperium is being transparent with their investors and player base. In their “Star Citizen Monthly Report: October 2019” Cloud Imperium made clear exactly what the development team has been working on. The October updates included small additions like new props and weapon art. As well as major improvements like better AI and more consistent lighting.

Later this month, Cloud Imperium Games will be hosting CitizenCon 2949 in Manchester, England. This marks the seventh community convention that Cloud Imperium has hosted. In the past, the developer announced timeline updates for the game through community forums at its conventions. In addition to the ambitious flight simulator mode, there will also be a single player addition to Star Citizen called Squadron 42. The single player campaign has grown into a separate entity with a different investment package. As of today, you can pledge 45$ towards development of Squadron 42.

It’s clear that Cloud Imperium Games is in over their heads with the development of Star Citizen. The game was initially planned for a 2014 release, six years later it seems its no closer now than it was then. It’s hard to blame the developer as they never could’ve imagined the games scope would be as large as it has turned out to be. It’s good that they are communicating with their player base, both online and at conventions. There’s no lack of money with Star Citizen, nor lack of obvious talent.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kind of a nothing little piece that just sums up some stuff. Expect Joe Blobers in the comments in 3... 2... 1...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Star Citizen initially aimed to be a space-flight simulator with dogfighting and trading across the galaxy. Fans of Wing Commander imagined that Star Citizen would be its spiritual successor, with updated graphics and the potential for VR. In 2012, the game immediately past its first fundraising goal. In turn, Cloud Imperium Games was forced to adjust the scale of the game to match the excessive amounts of investment money coming in. Although originally planned as a game with a maximum budget of four million dollars (the previous record for crowdfunding), Star Citizen has climbed to over 230 million dollars.

It really is a shame that CIG was forced to expand the scope because people kept giving them money. Really it's your fault for giving Chris money and making him promise things he couldn't achieve.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

It really is a shame that CIG was forced to expand the scope because people kept giving them money. Really it's your fault for giving Chris money and making him promise things he couldn't achieve.

I just think it really nice of Chris to allow people to give him money.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://youtu.be/a3m4Zk5XhAI

CaptainBerks detonates 100 Ships in Star Citizen on Daymar
https://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dstisj/captainberks_detonates_100_ships_in_star_citizen/

Absolutely smooth high end visual fidelity. Obviously next gen technology

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Agony Aunt posted:

Overwatch 2? That's a gamble. The first game is still going strong and people have a lot of time and money invested in it. I wonder how many will move to the new version. They risk fracturing the playerbase.

They want to capture the enormous and yet untapped Goon audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So basically...

“Funding Chris and Sandi’s lavish Monaco vacations, 4 million dollar mansion and puerile dreams of Hollywood stardom/moguldom is a privilege and a blessing and I’m grateful for it.”

Lol these people really deserve Chris Roberts. At some point it must go into the realm of their own personal fantasies and wish fulfillment. Like they’re vicariously living their dream of being a super nerd entertainment mogul making the greatest video game ever through Chris, and they just imagine it’s them with a hot wife wake boarding in the Mediterranean.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 7, 2019

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed a lot less Kayak since this thread moved from it's own hugbox of ~dreams~

anyway here is another pet

https://i.imgur.com/asS4hz0.mp4

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Inside Star Citizen - Mission Control

Watch in amazement as they preview the new 890 Jump rescue mission, which pits the player against their garbage AI puppet hijackers AND a ticking “unhack the hacked computers” timebomb scenario.

Absolute crap that only space dads and Redbull-sponsored buttrock streamers could possibly get excited about.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

Watch in amazement as they preview the new 890 Jump rescue mission, which pits the player against their garbage AI puppet hijackers AND a ticking “unhack the hacked computers” timebomb scenario.

Absolute crap that only space dads and Redbull-sponsored buttrock streamers could possibly get excited about.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

drat they are desperate for anything at this point. Soon a shadow in the background will be proof the sand worm is real.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

* AI runs straight at gunfire like armoured battle lemming *

-Ex ‘Embedded AI Quality Assurance‘ guy: “I hope that people really see that this is what we’re pushing at moving forward”

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

:lol:

300 million dollars and 8 loving years for this.

It's just so lovely and janky. The enemies just run up to you and come to a dead stop then start shooting at random corners of the room. The devs had to make them ridiculous bullet sponges just to give some illusion of difficulty. They also had to keep cutting away to hide the enemies t-posing after they died and sinking into the floor.

There are dozens of failed crowdfunded projects from the early 2010's that had low 6 figure budgets and were being worked on by 5 dudes in a basement which produced FPS combat lightyears beyond this. This is some sophomores at Full Sail University screwing around in a computer lab after class level poo poo.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 7, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

his nibs posted:

I've noticed a lot less Kayak since this thread moved from it's own hugbox of ~dreams~

anyway here is another pet

https://i.imgur.com/asS4hz0.mp4

droola droola

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

:lol:

300 million dollars and 8 loving years for this.

It's just so lovely and janky. The enemies just run up to you and come to a dead stop then start shooting at random corners of the room. The devs had to make them ridiculous bullet sponges just to give some illusion of difficulty. They also had to keep cutting away to hide the enemies t-posing after they died and sinking into the floor.

There are dozens of failed crowdfunded projects from the early 2010's that had low 6 figure budgets and were being worked on by 5 dudes in a basement which produced FPS combat lightyears beyond this. This is some sophomores at Full Sail University screwing around in a computer lab after class level poo poo.

This 10 second sequence where the guy is just unloading 30+ rounds into a NPC standing still and never having to reload and then the ship jittering around is just too good.

It's so much worse than I imagined and this is their curated version of the mission. Unloading hundreds of rounds into NPCs that just stand there, the player seemingly taking no damage.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Has anyone said Shart Shitizen yet?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

serious norman posted:

Has anyone said Shart Shitizen yet?

Said it? I have it tattooed across my butt!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

This 10 second sequence where the guy is just unloading 30+ rounds into a NPC standing still and never having to reload and then the ship jittering around is just too good.

It's so much worse than I imagined and this is their curated version of the mission. Unloading hundreds of rounds into NPCs that just stand there, the player seemingly taking no damage.

Rock solid heart-rate, though.

I skipped back a bit; apparently they hadn’t really considered the whole running around in ships before the 890 Jump. I mean far from me to point out to a developer that was still in school when the project started that ‘boarding actions’ turned up the instant they pivotted to the FPS ‘star marine’.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Popete posted:

That looks like abject poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

That looks like abject poo poo.

go back to your console and yearly cod reskins you hater.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

I love how the muzzle flashes lag behind and don't sync up with the end of the gun when he turns.

Also the ship sitting in dock has itself a hiccup and does a little dance on the pad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol not even the SC subreddit can kid themselves about the state of the AI it seems

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really hate how that video opens with Disco Lando saying "who here hasn't dreamed of..."

Its so loving scummy

Still the same scam of selling dreams from CRoberts' initial pitch, "who hasn't dreamed of being a hot shot space pilot, saving the galaxy..."

Yeah but you haven't and apparently can't build that! Stop selling dreams!

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

Star Citizen:Lack of obvious talent

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buck up kiddo. Soon you can be the rich rear end in a top hat in the space yacht. All you have to do is successfully complete the mission 5,000 times in a row, assuming you get those 30 kills every single time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Regrettable posted:

Buck up kiddo. Soon you can be the rich rear end in a top hat in the space yacht. All you have to do is successfully complete the mission 5,000 times in a row, assuming you get those 30 kills every single time.

And hope the AI doesn't, by some programming fluke, kill you.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/PaulJonesAD/status/1192426512101920768

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Kill the pirates, kill the hostages, keep the ship, be a pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007