Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Sorry to bring back pokemon chat from a few pages ago.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah any pokemon championship (which plans to allow all pokemon) being forced to use the 3DS games which are loving TERRIBLE for battles is going to be real good in this Pokemon-on-Switch era.

EDIT: seriously go look up pokemon finals being played on a 3DS. The game struggles to render poo poo and it’s hilariously choppy. Oh man it’s even worse than I remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAuHyVPQhjc

Len posted:

If you don't turn off animations for combat you're playing wrong

Araxxor posted:

You can't in the official tournaments.

I can't remember the specifics, but in one of the older games, my friend made a team specifically designed to force them to change this rule by employing stall tactics by waiting as long as possibly allowed before choosing a move, pushing the turn timer to the limit, and using the moves with the longest animations, which also make the match last longer by being like absorbs (I don't remember specifics).

Unfortunately when he went to the tournament, the battery in his game had died, so he lost his whole team and all his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Or it'll be like the remake of the first mana game on gba. I would honestly say the gameboy version is a better game.

They remade it twice and both times the game boy version is still better.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ghost + Coffee Cup = Gooigi

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wait there’s Pokémon video game tournaments?

DanZX
May 5, 2015

E.Gadd is a terrible human being and he spits on the face of God with his tampering of people souls and denying them the opportunity of an afterlife.
Great game though

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Achmed Jones posted:

Yes and people win money for it too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Achmed Jones posted:

There have been since the first games. I won a Nintendo sanctioned one for Pokémon Red/Blue way back then.

A surprising amount of kids that entered with me didn’t realize that psychics were op bullshit.:cool:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo of Japan just dropped this new thing out of nowhere and it looks pretty cute. It's called "The Stretchers" and it's a co-op open world rescue game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8WvRb6CLhE

It has English language support so it'll probably come overseas sooner or later.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

There are people that buy the games and immediately download a completed save file because they give that little of a poo poo about touching the single player campaign.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

I think the official one is more for kids.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

pokemon is esports

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

SeANMcBAY posted:

There have been since the first games. I won a Nintendo sanctioned one for Pokémon Red/Blue way back then.

A surprising amount of kids that entered with me didn’t realize that psychics were op bullshit.:cool:

What was your team?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo of Japan just dropped this new thing out of nowhere and it looks pretty cute. It's called "The Stretchers" and it's a co-op open world rescue game.

It has English language support so it'll probably come overseas sooner or later.

They have so many games they don't even have time to loving announce them anymore

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Collection of Mana? Should I wait for Trials instead?

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's actually a hard sell then since I have a Super Famicom with SD2SNES cart at home hooked up to a PVM.
Buy Collection of Mana, then download the Trials of Mana ROM from wherever you download ROMs these days.

The Collection is just a set of ROMs wrapped with decent-quality emulators, and no matter how good the emulation is you'll probably prefer the real-hardware experience. That said, the Collection being "just a set of ROMs" means that M2 did a real-deal localization of a SNES game in 2019, and purchasing the Collection is the best way to signal to Square Enix that these kinds of retro localizations are profitable and worth continuing. Honestly, I'm not one to judge who downloads what and when, but if you were ever going to buy something you could just download anyways, this is exactly the time to do it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

But I'm worried that maybe Trials will be a REmake level of quality making the third Mana game obselete.
If you're that concerned, buy the Collection physically and sell it after the remake comes out. Although, honestly, given the unusualness of the situation--the fact that Square both released a new localization of an old game and are remaking it, I don't feel it's a waste to purchase both.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

E. Gadd is a genius and the history of Gooigi has only increased my respect for him

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hey that's a good point. Does anyone have a favorite Pokemon knock-off?

Mine was Magi-Nation. I couldn't tell you a single thing about it now but it was grindy as gently caress and I loved it as a kid. Some of the monsters had neat designs and I could grind until nothing was a threat anymore, which is how young CP9 decided he was good at video games, so that left a positive impression. Apparently it had a card game and TV show too but I never paid attention to them, just the Gameboy game.

Not sure if it counts as a Pokemon Knock-off, but I really liked the Monster Rancher Card Battle game for the Gameboy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I participated in one and won easily because I froze almost everything and everyone with Articuno. It was not a talented strategy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I think the official one is more for kids.

there are separate tourneys based on player age

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man this tutorial stuff in DQB2 does not quit does it. I'm enjoying the demo but man I wish it would just let me play!

Edit: Man!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 8, 2019

DanZX
May 5, 2015

So I just got to floor 8 on Luigi’s Mansion 3.
This is the best game released for the Switch this year hands down

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DanZX posted:

So I just got to floor 8 on Luigi’s Mansion 3.
This is the best game released for the Switch this year hands down
It's the best Switch game period.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Tempura Wizard posted:

Production values are as good as you’d expect. In my experience so far (5-ish hours with the iOS version) the puzzles aren’t quite as good as some of the other entries (due to the passing of the puzzle author prior to this entry), but it’s still a good Layton game if you’re in the market. All the series staples (download puzzles, toys you get more parts for throughout the game, picarats and hint coins) are there, and it’s charming as hell, as usual.

Sweet. I've actually never played a Layton game before so it's good to hear it's a good one. I'm just really hankering for a puzzle game lately; I blame Obra Dinn.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Policenaut posted:

What a loving bizarre concept. I must play this.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Crazy taxi crossed with physics based coop puzzles ala Chariot, yes please. Gonna import if this isn't available by next week.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

After playing Bastion on PC like a decade ago and buying Transistor but not playing it on PC and PS4 (and maybe xbox360?), I’m finally playing Transistor on my Switch

It’s good!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mijfly/status/1192456122386599936

I don't know why this has me crying in laughter.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

explosivo posted:

Man this tutorial stuff in DQB2 does not quit does it. I'm enjoying the demo but man I wish it would just let me play!

Edit: Man!

Yeah it's my number one complaint about the game. The tutorial stuff slows down after a while, but some level of it is constant throughout the game and every NPC is such a chatty Kathy.

Just shut the gently caress up and let me build poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
FlipGrip owners: if you haven't yet, go pick up Horizon Shift '81. I bought it on sale recently so it may still be, but it's basically made for handheld tate mode.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got through the first area of Incredible Mandy. It's definitely Zelda inspired. The guy moves a little slower and so far I've just had an energy sword and bow, but can't complain for $15

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dr.acula posted:

What was your team?

I don’t remember all of them but I had Alakazam, Machamp and Gengar for half of the team. No legendaries were allowed so I didn’t have Mewtwo or the birds.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Policenaut posted:

I swear I kept seeing the thing on their hats as a maple leaf and I thought "Cool a game about Canadians."

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
10f was great after the lovely level and lovely boss of b2, and i loved 11f floor but haaated the boss. the shell game gimmick needed like, one less thing in it. tracking them in the first place, plus the darkness in the third round, plus the 20 damage missiles, plus the close in attack at the end that you can mistime the counter for and ending with the bomb (which you can at least use gooigi for) are all a bit much for a single encounter, used a bone and almost died anyway

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay I'm now 72 hours and 20-ish attempts into being unable to change my payment information or purchase anything. Nintendo please fix your eshop, why do I have to feel like an entitled rear end in a top hat for wanting to give you my money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Okay I'm now 72 hours and 20-ish attempts into being unable to change my payment information or purchase anything. Nintendo please fix your eshop, why do I have to feel like an entitled rear end in a top hat for wanting to give you my money.

Use PayPal?

I switched to using it on the Eshop and haven’t had any issues since.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Use PayPal?

I switched to using it on the Eshop and haven’t had any issues since.

Holy gently caress why did that work. :psyduck:

Thanks! Though I do honestly feel miffed here.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i know some peeps found later levels of Luigis Mansion boring but i just finished the film floor and have found every part of this game an absolute delight so far

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Nuts and Gum posted:

What a loving bizarre concept. I must play this.

This looks like Overcooked but with unconscious bodies instead of onions and so is probably GOTY material.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Stretchers is out now in Europe. It'll probably be out in the US real soon if it isn't already.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1192736014055264258

Interestingly, it was developed by Tarsier Studios, the Swedish team behind Little Nightmares.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brother Entropy posted:

there are separate tourneys based on player age

They do this in the official TCG tournaments as well, it's a really good way to keep the kids from just getting steamrolled by the adult nerds spending half their paycheck on cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The translation of Trials of Mana in Collection is excellent. If you’ve never played the game before you should, if you have played it then only get it if you want to experience the OG again before the remake.

From what they’ve shown so far, the remake improves in just about everything in the game so I think the odds of it being anything like Sword of Mana are pretty low. The boss battle they showed with the moon Benevodon (official translation of God-Beast) looked amazing.

Edit: it’s also not like SoM remastered which was basically a new skin on the game, they completely overhauled the combat and made real 3D maps