Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

This is just an abstract representation of the memory playing in Loup's head. Or it could be very literal, the ether is weird like that. Either way it's not Coyote coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
We've been in a weird not-quite-reality state since they entered the forest. It looked explicitly like the ether when Loup swam around in Annie's connection with Rey, but other than that it's weird and unreal but not quite looking like the ether either.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

IT'S ME ANNIE.

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG! https://youtu.be/cNgxyL5zEAk

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
But is he Coyote dreaming he was Loup, or Loup dreaming he was Coyote?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Drunk Canuck posted:

IT'S ME ANNIE.

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG! https://youtu.be/cNgxyL5zEAk

Renard: Aw, son of a bitch!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

GunnerJ posted:

Loup saw something that he didn't like the looks of (but that Renard seems to not have noticed), and it made him want to quit fooling around and accelerate his schedule. It's not clear what that was exactly, but this feels like foreshadowing, not like something is missing.
It'll probably be revealed near the end of the chapter, when one of the Annies asks him what made Loup leave in a huff.

It was Dickbutt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My bet is that Coyote is only going to briefly manifest, possibly in the form of a pre-recorded message, to tell Annies about something.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm on the goose remembering it's coyote camp but only because I haven't found loup nearly as interesting

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

My bet is that Coyote is only going to briefly manifest, possibly in the form of a pre-recorded message, to tell Annies about something.

Yeah, this makes the most sense. Solving it right now would be too easy, and she was able to talk with Ys before as well so it's not like it's a thing Loup can't do, just probably doesn't want to do.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

With this page, I am 100% convinced that Coyote at least is voiced by Mark Hamill.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Coyote is so much more fun I missed him

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Coyote is so much more fun I missed him

I agree.

Although Tom has been able to grow lovely characters pretty well, so I'm hoping the same happens with Loup.

Right now he's just an all powerful child. He needs to grow up a bit.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
He needs to be smacked on the rump, that's what he needs. :colbert:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Coyote's bound to suggest to him that the pursuit of the other objects will enable him to control the forest but that won't change how Loup's just unbelievably bad at it.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I just want to say that Coyote is clearly royalty, what with the whole not letting being dead get in the way of a perfectly interesting life experience.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Coyote was a pretty great example of Royalty from the start. He definitely seems like someone who wouldn't conquer the universe simply because he doesn't feel like it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Donkringel posted:

I agree.

Although Tom has been able to grow lovely characters pretty well, so I'm hoping the same happens with Loup.

Right now he's just an all powerful child. He needs to grow up a bit.

Ya for sure, it feels like Loup has been around ages but pages wise not so much when I think of it likethat. I have every faith in Tom but currently in the story having Coyote around too just makes Loup feel like Coyote was killed off and replaced with a knock off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean Loup's SUPPOSED to be lovely, so I'm ok with it. The comic would be boring without changes in the status quo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't have a problem with changing the status quo but currently that change is replacing a great character with the same character but worse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well... Yes. And that created tension and drama in the story. If you miss Coyote, Tom's done his job, because everyone in the comic does too.

Coyote was always a ticking time bomb. Loup is the aftermath.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the problem isn't that Loup is unlikable, it's that he isn't a very interesting character so far. I too have faith in Tom, but he just doesn't have much charisma and isn't very fun to hate. He's just kind of bratty and obnoxious.

Of course, the last few chapters have felt a bit... Weird. I feel like the art style has had a lot more deformed chibi style depictions added to it than it ever used to have. Maybe Tom is just trying out different styles, but these last few Loup pages especially feel like almost a different art style than before. With how much Tom pays attention to style matching substance, I'm guessing this isn't just him experimenting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Loup's art style has been inconsistent from the start to illustrate his chaotic nature. But it's not a smooth chaos like coyote.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
To clarify I meant in general rather than just Loup, but thinking about it maybe it's only been Loup, Reynard, and the Annies that have been drawn like that? Has anyone else?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Does that count as a self own if it's your past persona doing it?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

CodfishCartographer posted:

To clarify I meant in general rather than just Loup, but thinking about it maybe it's only been Loup, Reynard, and the Annies that have been drawn like that? Has anyone else?

I would say Loup's influence of the Ether in the forest is responsible. They looked normal on the trip there, but since Loup is a bratty kid with world-bending power, he sees this moldable world in childish forms. So, cute little fireheads and huggable Renard.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay I have no idea what's going on anymore. Especially remembering that Coyote never lies.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
uh, looks like the court might be shifting the omega project into overdrive?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
"Did you go anywhere unusual at the Court while we were away, Renard?"
"Hm? No, I was with Katarina the whole time."

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2224

Oh poo poo burn

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Kikas posted:

Okay I have no idea what's going on anymore. Especially remembering that Coyote never lies.
I'm interpreting this as:
Loup will be powerful enough - because he already is.
It does look like Loup needs their help - because he enlisted it.

Coyote might not state falsehoods but he's still a career bullshitter.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kikas posted:

I like the implication Coyote leaves by saying that Loup will surely have the power to shape the world, but doesn't acknowledge Loup being more powerful than him. That's telling.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

coyote's in full popcorn mode and probably has a bit of himself in all the gifts just so he can watch an overambitious baby trickster get their comeuppance while he's dead

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

coyote's in full popcorn mode and probably has a bit of himself in all the gifts just so he can watch an overambitious baby trickster get their comeuppance while he's dead

I also suspect that death isn't particularly permanent for Coyote. Or even a minor inconvenience.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah my expectation from the moment Coyote died was that he planned this all somehow (and it turned out he did plan to die, according to Loup), and my expectation ever since Loup mentioned the gifts is that they'll one way or another bring Coyote back and undo Loup.

Loup is a tool Coyote is using to get around his own limitations -- stuff like 'Coyote never lies'. Loup is a creature with Coyote's powers not beholden to Coyote's promises.

Back when coyote first died, I was a little annoyed that it was just another addition to the list of things that we know are part of Coyote's long-running secret plan but are waiting to find out how. But I've grown to enjoy that a little more recently. Shrug and see where this goes.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Saying that Loup should have "more than enough" power to control things once he gets the gifts perhaps implies that he has enough to do so at present. Really, it just goes to show that Loup still thinks too much like Ysengrin. "If only I had Coyote's strength, everything would work itself out." "If only I had Coyote's gifts, I'd be able to control everything." His problem is he's looking for a silver bullet to solve his problems, instead of facing them down. It doesn't matter how much power he accumulates, he'll always be stuck as long as his mindset doesn't change.

In many ways, Loup is just an Ysengrin that's trying way too hard to be Coyote. He says he's neither of them, he needs to actually live up to that.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

IIRC yeah death is a slap on the wrist for Coyote. I think the stories straight up tell all it takes for him to resurrect is for someone to jump over his corpse.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Coyote has died in several of his stories. Usually it's because one of his pranks backfires on him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bongo Bill posted:

Coyote has died in several of his stories. Usually it's because one of his pranks backfires on him.

Really makes you appreciate the old Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kantesu posted:

Saying that Loup should have "more than enough" power to control things once he gets the gifts perhaps implies that he has enough to do so at present. Really, it just goes to show that Loup still thinks too much like Ysengrin. "If only I had Coyote's strength, everything would work itself out." "If only I had Coyote's gifts, I'd be able to control everything." His problem is he's looking for a silver bullet to solve his problems, instead of facing them down. It doesn't matter how much power he accumulates, he'll always be stuck as long as his mindset doesn't change.

In many ways, Loup is just an Ysengrin that's trying way too hard to be Coyote. He says he's neither of them, he needs to actually live up to that.

Which may be the "trick" Coyote is playing. I'd put chips on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My partner named our pet rats Antimony and Katja and I didn't know until this hour that the author of this is a goon. :stare: