Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Huh. Dying was the best this to happen to Corsola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Charmander's the best starter anyways. I liked how Mega Charizard Y was basically a "gently caress your water types here's some decent speed and the ability to solar beam every turn."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know people are getting weird about Dexit and people in here are getting weird about people getting weird about Dexit but things like this are really funny

I didn't even notice the pokemon were x'd out until reading this. I thought it was just a design motif

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I'm legit sad Venasaur is out. I was fencing on getting the game but that was the push for a hard no. Its one pokemon but its the one that my favorite.

Someone somewhere noted that the terrier line from BW, based on Britsh terriers, was cut from the game based on England.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Charmander's the best starter anyways.

And here's Fluffy with the scalding hot bad take.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Someone somewhere noted that the terrier line from BW, based on Britsh terriers, was cut from the game based on England.

They cut Granbull too, which is doubly what the gently caress.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 8, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Bulbasaur is still the best and I cannot be convinced otherwise. :colbert:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

People who are attacking Charizard rather than GF are being silly. Charizard did nothing wrong, he is merely marketable.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

wait for real the big clunky shield dog has that much speed?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Totodile, you fools.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Charizard is several orders of magnitudes more popular than any other starter Pokemon except possibly Greninja.

The idea that it's some exclusively some weird favoritism on Game Freak's fault baffles me. Popular things will continue to get pushed. That's how it works.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Charizard is several orders of magnitudes more popular than any other starter Pokemon except possibly Greninja.

The idea that it's some exclusively some weird favoritism on Game Freak's fault baffles me. Popular things will continue to get pushed. That's how it works.

Chocolate is loving delicious. It doesn't mean I want it in every single meal at all times, I don't care how they prepare it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flopsy posted:

Chocolate is loving delicious. It doesn't mean I want it in every single meal at all times, I don't care how they prepare it.

Which is fair, but you're vastly outnumbered by the amount of people who very much want to slather everything they eat in chocolate.

This analogy may be falling apart at the seems.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

People who are attacking Charizard rather than GF are being silly. Charizard did nothing wrong, he is merely marketable.

Charizard doesn't even have one water cannon so who would ever give a poo poo about it? Objectively, all best pokemon are ones with water cannons.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Which is fair, but you're vastly outnumbered by the amount of people who very much want to slather everything they eat in chocolate.

No wonder diabetes cases are through the roof. And yes I'm going to ride this analogy right into the depths of hell and you're coming with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB401RfGMlM

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 8, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Framboise posted:

Bulbasaur is still the best and I cannot be convinced otherwise. :colbert:

Thats why OLM is dedicating the third episode of the new season to it (1st is Pikachu's youth as a Pichy br meeting Ash, second is setting up the season's status quo)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

To balance it out, there's probably going to be another game where you can use all the starters except for Charizard.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

Charizard's popularity is also in part to it's overexposure. In the anime he was the Pokemon with the most episodes centered around him, and had the most character development, even more so than Pikachu. He had the bad boy personality that anime fans tend to gravitate to, and personality is really important as proven by Incineroar who was universally hated upon it's design being leaked but won back the crowd once his dex entry was revealed and people saw him in action in the anime and Smash. Charizard had a big fight in Mewtwo Strikes back and a big role in the Entei movie. And unless I'm misremembering he was the last of Ash's original team to be "released".

Had Ash kept his Charmander and evolved his Venusaur maybe he would be the most popular one, as it would be in a fair and perfect world.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Charizard's popularity is also in part to it's overexposure. In the anime he was the Pokemon with the most episodes centered around him, and had the most character development, even more so than Pikachu. He had the bad boy personality that anime fans tend to gravitate to, and personality is really important as proven by Incineroar who was universally hated upon it's design being leaked but won back the crowd once his dex entry was revealed and people saw him in action in the anime and Smash. Charizard had a big fight in Mewtwo Strikes back and a big role in the Entei movie. And unless I'm misremembering he was the last of Ash's original team to be "released".

Had Ash kept his Charmander and evolved his Venusaur maybe he would be the most popular one, as it would be in a fair and perfect world.

Honestly I don't care if Charizard gets all the gushy love in the world. That's fine, it's when you cut all my other favorites out but only spare him you've drifted into WTF territory.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Charizard’s big fight was vs. Magmar and nobody can tell me otherwise

E: also vs. Gary’s Blastoise even though the animation kinda sucked

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lezard_valeth posted:

I think you have it backwards. Charizard was all over the anime because he was already popular before then. The games and card game had already been out for a significant chunk of time in Japan (about a year for the games and six months for the TCG) before the anime ever started, and it was popular from the jump because it's a loving dragon with a fire tail. It was never not going to be popular.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the only reason I don't like Magmortar as much as Magmar, 'cause that episode cemented Magmar as a bona fide badass in my brain

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Too late I'm laying Stealth Rocks everywhere he goes.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I am legitimately thinking about getting a second Switch so my boyfriend and I can play Pokemon together. Are cloud saves a thing with the Switch? If not, is it a pain in the rear end to copy saves from one Switch to another? I know he and I are both going to play on either one of we get a second and it would suck if I couldn't keep my game saves updated on both.

Quoting myself because I just double checked and cloud saves ARE a thing, but not with Pokemon. The only way to get saves from one Switch to another with Pokemon is to port over the entire drat Switch profile. Ugh.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: also vs. Gary’s Blastoise even though the animation kinda sucked

Oh I was not implying that his fight in Mewtwo strikes back was the only or his biggest fight, I meant that he was the only one of Ash's pokemon to have a proper fight in that movie.

Blockhouse posted:

I think you have it backwards. Charizard was all over the anime because he was already popular before then. The games and card game had already been out for a significant chunk of time in Japan (about a year for the games and six months for the TCG) before the anime ever started, and it was popular from the jump because it's a loving dragon with a fire tail. It was never not going to be popular.

I can't tell you about Japan or the states because I was an 8 year old back then, but at least in LA the card game and the videogames became popular because of the anime and not the other way around.

Regarding the TCG, Charizard being the only Pokemon capable of one shotting the entirety rest of the Pokemon universe, including Mewtwo, for like 3-5 years undisputed also would fall under popularity by favoritism.

And Blastoise is a frigging giant turtle with 2 cannons straight out of a Godzilla movie, so rule of badass is not the definite reason why Charizard became popular and Blastoise didn't.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Too late I'm laying Stealth Rocks everywhere he goes.

There's a new held item that grants immunity to entry hazards. Charizard and his new pair of steel-toed boots cannot be stopped.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blockhouse posted:

It’s a something of a chicken-egg scenario: something gets exposed because it has some popularity originally and gets more popular because it gets exposure. The result is a feedback loop where something that starts popular just keeps getting shoved to the forefront forever.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

lezard_valeth posted:

Regarding the TCG, Charizard being the only Pokemon capable of one shotting the entirety rest of the Pokemon universe, including Mewtwo, for like 3-5 years undisputed also would fall under popularity by favoritism.

Not 100% true. Base Set Chansey had 120 HP and could technically beat a Charizard if both went at each other head-to-head. Chansey would die to recoil damage at itself, but Charizard would not be able to do Fire Spin twice in time as it loses 2 energy per use. The only way it could do it twice in a row is if you attached a Double Colorless Energy and used Charizard's Pokemon Power.

Also, Mr. Mime from the following Jungle set nullified damage over 30.

Just felt like splitting hairs. Charizard wasn't really even that great in the TCG because it took a lot of setup and resources, while the haymaker decks using Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, and Scyther and such just kind of mowed everything else down.

But Charizard was still the cool kid card to have. I had two. :smug:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Geostomp posted:

It’s a something of a chicken-egg scenario: something gets exposed because it has some popularity originally and gets more popular because it gets exposure. The result is a feedback loop where something that starts popular just keeps getting shoved to the forefront forever.

Never forget how the initial mascot push was going to be Clefairy and that never got off the ground.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Use bacon instead of chocolate. The 'bacon makes everything better' GBS poo poo got insanely old.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Blockhouse posted:

Doesn't mean we have to like it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

lezard_valeth posted:

And unless I'm misremembering he was the last of Ash's original team to be "released".

Charizard got dropped pretty early on in the Johto season. There was a big thing in some of the early episodes about how taking a Charizard into a new region and thrashing younger and newer trainers with it was unfair, and how Ash was actually growing as a trainer because of it over-reliance on it.

For reference, Johto began with episode 119. Charizard left the team in 134, Squirtle left to rejoin the Squirtle Squad in 147, and Bulbasaur managed to stick around until 225.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

Charizard got dropped pretty early on in the Johto season. There was a big thing in some of the early episodes about how taking a Charizard into a new region and thrashing younger and newer trainers with it was unfair, and how Ash was actually growing as a trainer because of it over-reliance on it.

For reference, Johto began with episode 119. Charizard left the team in 134, Squirtle left to rejoin the Squirtle Squad in 147, and Bulbasaur managed to stick around until 225.

Mmm was he dropped at that Charizard mountain where he found a girlfriend? That's what I remember, but I only watched halfway through Johto a long while ago.

I'm tempted to pick up XY and Sun/Moon series, the former because it looks sick and it has a super rad opening, and the 2nd because it looks like it was a lot of fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gruckles posted:

There's a new held item that grants immunity to entry hazards. Charizard and his new pair of steel-toed boots cannot be stopped.

is that true

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Then eat one of the other 399 dishes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Then eat one of the other 399 dishes.

I would but Gamefreak took them off the menu. We are talking about starters right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Mmm was he dropped at that Charizard mountain where he found a girlfriend? That's what I remember, but I only watched halfway through Johto a long while ago.

He got dropped off in Charcific Valley because 1) Brock and Misty repeatedly gave him a hard time about using Charizard all the time and how unfair it was to thrash other trainers with it, and 2) Ash's Charizard was actually really weak and all the Charizard in the Valley were stronger. It wasn't that Ash wanted Charizard to stay, Charizard himself wanted to stay after he realized he wasn't on the same level as all the other Charizard there.

And yeah there was a female Charizard with a bright pink bow. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tX6BFL0360&t=1036s

Timestamped at the part where he leaves it. Forgive the quality, but it's the best Youtube has.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

is that true

Yeah. It's a pair of boots that protect from entry hazards.

gently caress you, sneaky pebbles.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Framboise posted:

Not 100% true. Base Set Chansey had 120 HP and could technically beat a Charizard if both went at each other head-to-head. Chansey would die to recoil damage at itself, but Charizard would not be able to do Fire Spin twice in time as it loses 2 energy per use. The only way it could do it twice in a row is if you attached a Double Colorless Energy and used Charizard's Pokemon Power.

Also, Mr. Mime from the following Jungle set nullified damage over 30.

Just felt like splitting hairs. Charizard wasn't really even that great in the TCG because it took a lot of setup and resources, while the haymaker decks using Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, and Scyther and such just kind of mowed everything else down.

But Charizard was still the cool kid card to have. I had two. :smug:

I don't think hardly any of the kids at my school into the cards even knew really how to play. I had a vague idea, but it wasn't really about the game it felt at the time. Hell, my favourite thing to do was draw my own pokemon cards on computer-paper and glue them to cards I didn't think were important or valuable. The value was also pulled out of our asses, plenty of fights and squabbles over kids ripping one another off. I had gotten a few japanese psychic packs and a pre-made which didn't have rarity symbols. I traded off many of them claiming they were rarer than they actually were, easier if they had a cool picture. I did get my comeuppance, I had several of the infamous slowpoke with the manji/swastika in japanese and english, but traded them off before it became or I learned it's relative rarity.

Most of my existing pokemon collection, wherever it is now, was just given to me. You know how if you're flying alone as a little kid, they have flight attendants take you to a place to chill or whatever for a time. There was another solo flying kid one time and he also happened to have his pokemon card binder with him. We traded some cards and hung out for a bit. He left before I did and he ended up leaving behind his binder of all things. When it was my turn to get on a flight, the person helping me noticed it left behind and gave it to me even though I explained to them it was the other kid. There was a holographic charizard in there! I never felt as bad about that as I probably should have.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Vandar posted:

Yeah. It's a pair of boots that protect from entry hazards.

gently caress you, sneaky pebbles.

Finally. Not only can you put them on your 2-4x weak guys, you can just outfit your preferred spinner/defogger with them and swap in as much as you need. The era of entry hazards is (partially) over! Time for weather wars again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm pretty surprised we didn't get a new weather setter tbh