Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I went free ticket rolling for boob monk too, but I got Chiyome, who seems remarkably average. Just another assassin for the assassin pile, I guess.

I did get the Before Awakening CE, which I didn't even know existed. It's seems okay-ish, but it's also one for those sneaky event CEs, so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A Bystander posted:

If you skip all cutscenes (that you can watch later from the My Room menu) and use a guide along with people's busted Lv. 100 support servants, I don't see why not. How much time is left for the campaign, anyway?

11/14 to complete the mission by.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Finish Solomon by the 14th for 30 free quartz (main story quests for part 1 are reduced to 1/4 ap cost)

Bogart fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 6, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJyATx3kQyo

New Saber Wars CQ, seems a little rng-y because the gimmick relies on you drawing the right card types that turn, so if you, say, run a team where all 3 members have 3 arts cards you could potentially just get hosed, but otherwise it looks fun.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm grateful for these free summon tickets.
Gonna need all the help I can get to bring Eresh home.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
drat it, just after i whaled for ozy, grandpa hassan shows up? Fanart of his was what first brought fgo to my awareness. Now I have to decide whether I want whale for him, or to roll for darkest dungeon in Frontline.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Shadowbag posted:

drat it, just after i whaled for ozy, grandpa hassan shows up? Fanart of his was what first brought fgo to my awareness. Now I have to decide whether I want whale for him, or to roll for darkest dungeon in Frontline.

This is King Hassan's last banner for at least two years. His only other appearances are in the GSSR pools.

I don't know if Darkest Frontline gets into the black card shop or not, actually, sorry about the hell you face.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shadowbag posted:

I have an NP3 10/10/10 Gramps, he's amazing and my favorite assassin. He absolutely kicked the Bull's rear end(well, hoof) right back to heaven during Summer 2, one of my best servants.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i rolled hard for him and just ended up using carmilla 24/7 instead :shrug:

his valentine felt like a bit of a letdown

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Show me a 100 10/10/10 Benkei

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
Man, id be happy with just a np1 gramps. Just like im happy with my np1 merlin, and probably will be happy with my np1 ozzy when i get him nice and grown up.

I got a chunk of black cards saved in frontline, and at least 100 tokens. Ill have to see whether rnGesus graces me with gobbo slayer spas or not, but im not passing on gramps.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Gramps is busted good and I love him

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Where’s my 30 quartz for the end of the Babylonia campaign?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tomorrow, I believe.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shiki is free

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the first log in after 11/7/19 20:00 PST.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finally got around to taking down the challenge quest, did not want to gently caress around. Used Liz +double Merlin +command seals for NPs for world ending HOOOOEEEEeeees, despite me not realizing I could have done a strengthening.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Billzasilver posted:

Gramps is busted good and I love him

First Hassan is pretty average overall. He is durable and good for soloing, but the Assassin class does poor damage and he's reliant on brave chains to generate good amounts of stars and NP. And his instant death gimmick triggers too rarely to be relied upon.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Factor_VIII posted:

First Hassan is pretty average overall. He is durable and good for soloing, but the Assassin class does poor damage and he's reliant on brave chains to generate good amounts of stars and NP. And his instant death gimmick triggers too rarely to be relied upon.

Counterpoint: First Hassan is cool and my grandpa and is therefore the best Assassin.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Counterpoint: First Hassan is cool and my grandpa and is therefore the best Assassin.

If you like him for his design/character then fair enough.

I do find it rather funny how this grandpa persona has been developed in fanart, when in his room lines he condemns all the other Hassans and orders them to die.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
First time I've been unlazy on a challenge quest in a while, was fun. Enjoyed using Sherlock, though the only one I could find had a bond CE attached.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's the first log in after 11/7/19 20:00 PST.

That's weird, why the 1-day pause in the bonuses?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's weird, why the 1-day pause in the bonuses?

It's pretty much always worked that way, so habit I guess?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Factor_VIII posted:

I do find it rather funny how this grandpa persona has been developed in fanart, when in his room lines he condemns all the other Hassans and orders them to die.

Grandpa is very strict, ok?

He did let CAH go free in Camelot though

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Factor_VIII posted:

The MC Fujimura in the game is a flat personality protagonist. Although he/she has gotten way more colorful responses in newer events for MC choices. Much of the fandom has been built around Riyo Gudako.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is Mystic Eyes of Death Perception a good a pun in Japanese?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

UchihaHirou posted:

The MC Fujimura in the game is a flat personality protagonist. Although he/she has gotten way more colorful responses in newer events for MC choices. Much of the fandom has been built around Riyo Gudako.

I feel like that changed around Babylon. The MC got a lot more characterization.

It honestly started around America, I think, and developed a bit more in Camelot, but Babylon is when Ritsuka embraces the madness and starts doing planchas from space.

”Justiiiiiiceeee!”

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My feel is that Fujimaru has mastered the ability to go with the flow.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I didn't give a poo poo about the event so I ignored it until yesterday. Took some doing but I managed to get the grail, gold fous, and all the mecha eli parts today. Good enough! :toot:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

UchihaHirou posted:

Yeah. I'd say it's because Riyo's Gudako is more interesting than the blank slate we get in the game.

Vengarr posted:

I feel like that changed around Babylon. The MC got a lot more characterization.

Ritsuka is a bit more active than before but he still has no consistent personality. The fact that he's equally liked by a psychopath like Mephistopheles and a saint like Martha says a lot about that. The closest thing to a default personality for Ritsuka is trusting nice guy who gets easily flustered. Pretty much the same as the average harem MC.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

riyo's gudako sucks

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

looking forward to the next riyo event so i can destroy the learning with manga universe

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

MonsieurChoc posted:

My feel is that Fujimaru has mastered the ability to go with the flow.

Given the crazies he is surprised with, I am hardly surprised. I imagine the average day for the MC goes something like this:

'Gotta make sure to give Mordred the proper amount of praise and attention without accidentally using the dreaded G-word and-- oh poo poo, was that Kiyohime? gently caress, uuuuuuh, where's Mash I could really use her right now... oh god, Shuten and Raikou are getting on each other's nerves again, gotta go defuse THAT ticking timebomb before it goes off and levels the entire compound. Wait, Crimegramps is doing WHAT? MORIAAAAARTYYYYYYYYYY!'

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bogart posted:

Is Mystic Eyes of Death Perception a good a pun in Japanese?

In JP it's 直死の魔眼, "Chokushi no Magan". 直死 is one of Nasu's trademark kanji soups made from 直, "direct" and 死, "death", so the literal translation is "Mystic Eyes of Direct Death".
The pun is in reading 直死 as "chokushi", so it's homophonous to 直視, which means to look someone in the eyes or to look directly at an object (the second kanji, 視, means "look at, inspect").

So basically "mystic eyes of stare you to death".

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Part of the problem with the male MC specifically is it means a lot of the writing is played WAAAAY more straight in both senses of the word, like, it’s harder to ignore all the harem poo poo as being what it is, and it makes him feel way more passive as a result, which is carried over in official works where he’s played in he most boring and flat way possible. The LWM stuff sucks rear end but imo it is way easier to like Ritsuka when she reads as a genki lesbian disaster rather than as an extremely average faceless avatar mc, even if they are ultimately in the same situations and given the same lines.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have derived much joy from playing my own gudako and would recommend it heartily. other people may need to supplement that by smothering any desire to view things through a default male lens, for an improved experience. despite the limitations of this particular style of protagonist they chose to make, it works about as well as it can be expected to.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The best Gudako is the one from that guy who draws all the cute comics with the Hassans

Sadly (?) he seems to have moved on to drawing cute Dead by Daylight comics

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 8, 2019

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
While lines are largely the same, there are actual, if subtle, differences in how the male or female MC interacts with the cast and its littered throughout the dialogue. They even acknowledge stuff like that in the FGO Materials books. For instance, for Tristan, they mention if the MC is a dude, he treats him like a lord, lady, he treats like a princess.

It sucks that we don't have an animated female MC, but the Shimosa manga uses her and she's pretty cool and fun.

People latching onto Riyo Gudako kind of reminds me of how D.VA from Overwatch for the longest time was made into a gremlin in that fandom. Different situation, but same feeling tbh.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 8, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Canonically speaking, how much of a certified badass is the MC at this point?

Sure, their magic potential is somewhere around "Shirou", but they've demonstrated mastery of high level ninjutsu and were able to go toe-to-toe with Goetia.
Plus, Shimousa points out that they're right there in the thick of things during combat, even if all they end up doing is casting Support spells for the servants.

I get that even a weak servant is probably superhuman, but the MC should be almost Batman tier in terms of capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

love to do an entire event in under 48 hours

now to abandon this game until the last day of the next one