Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You’re overthinking this. You can cast other creature cards as literal Mulldrifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah. Yeah, OK.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huxley posted:

What does it DO though? All your creatures get Evoke for 2 generic less than their cost? All your creatures draw 2 on ETB? Both?

all your creature cards become split cards, where they're Mulldrifter//[whatever it normally is]

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Since these things have black borders, they could reprint them as normal cards if they wanted to, yes? The 'not playable in constructed' doesn't have to be oracle text if they just don't make them legal in any format.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ItBreathes posted:

Since these things have black borders, they could reprint them as normal cards if they wanted to, yes? The 'not playable in constructed' doesn't have to be oracle text if they just don't make them legal in any format.

apparently an official writeup on these is coming next week, which is probably when they'll say what their potential legality is

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i assume it's more trying out things that are well outside normal rules, but closer than unsets, to see player responses. also a reprint set that gives people fun cards they can use in their own cubes/edh/etc decks like conspiracy

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I guess they could, most of the playtest cards seem like cards that they would never actualy print though. Even the ones that don't seem obviously broken are probably horribly broken in some way if you got to play them in a constructed format.

They have printed silver bordered cards in black border previously though so nothings impossible.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
aka it's conspiracy but they can make wild cards without breaking legacy/vintage

President Ark
May 16, 2010

my guess is this is them experimenting with wacky cards after the success of unstable and seeing if there's room for a set that's a middle ground between a typical draft set and unstable's full-on "nearly everything is bananas" stylings

most of the playtest cards are either incredibly weird, do something that isn't well-designed in the rules, or are judge-headache-inducers on the level of panglacial wurm so i doubt they'd get reprinted as full cards

some of these do seem like them experimenting with design space that i know maro has mentioned them testing on their blog and discarding for being too confusing - land tokens and cards referencing specific other cards as potential effects - so maybe they're seeing if those cards are actually real issues they need to worry about or if they can do more with that space

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 8, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

President Ark posted:

my guess is this is them experimenting with wacky cards after the success of unstable and seeing if there's room for a set that's a middle ground between a typical draft set and unstable's full-on "nearly everything is bananas" stylings

most of the playtest cards are either incredibly weird, do something that isn't well-designed in the rules, or are judge-headache-inducers on the level of panglacial wurm so i doubt they'd get reprinted as full cards

some of these do seem like them experimenting with design space that i know maro has mentioned them testing on their blog and discarding for being too confusing - land tokens and cards referencing specific other cards as potential effects - so maybe they're seeing if those cards are actually real issues they need to worry about or if they can do more with that space

maro's already talked about it on his blog: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/188889638258/mark-be-honest-are-the-test-cards-you-sneaking

they're beyond unstable on the silliness scale intentionally; silver bordered cards are still meant to be playable in some way and the test cards here are meant to have the entertainment factor take priority over any sense of playability

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Well that's that then.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1192573814321950722?s=19

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

flatluigi posted:

maro's already talked about it on his blog: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/188889638258/mark-be-honest-are-the-test-cards-you-sneaking

they're beyond unstable on the silliness scale intentionally; silver bordered cards are still meant to be playable in some way and the test cards here are meant to have the entertainment factor take priority over any sense of playability

Interestingly, Gavin's tweets on this subject differ from Maro's:

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1192582023732498432
https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1192596671923929088

EDIT: I guess both of these things could be true. Maybe design-ways, unset cards are farther along, whereas these are less workshopped than silver border cards but still closer to something that could potentially be printed in black border?

510rems fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 8, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

So they've renamed R&D to Tabletop Studio.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They seem consistent to me. Un-set cards at least get proper playtesting and go through balance passes. Playtest cards are "eh who cares ship it and see if they like it".

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

dragon enthusiast posted:

They seem consistent to me. Un-set cards at least get proper playtesting and go through balance passes. Playtest cards are "eh who cares ship it and see if they like it".

They have almost inverted design goals. Un-sets work outside the conventional rules of Magic but are still designed to create a playable limited environment, while the Playtest cards are all mechanically functional but not tuned for balance of sanity of play experience.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

They have almost inverted design goals. Un-sets work outside the conventional rules of Magic but are still designed to create a playable limited environment, while the Playtest cards are all mechanically functional but not tuned for balance of sanity of play experience.

You say "un-sets", but it really feels like you're just talking about Unstable, because the other ones were absolutely nothing like this.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I think token named spells is very interesting design space that they've already used on actual Planeswalkers. I think "every card can also be a mulldrifter" is probably too far, but like... not unreasonably so.

Edit: like, I hope this is WotC testing the waters on this because I think it's really cool.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 8, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Is there anywhere that has a collection of all the test card pics in one spot yet?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jabor posted:

You say "un-sets", but it really feels like you're just talking about Unstable, because the other ones were absolutely nothing like this.

maro has all but confirmed on his blog that future un-sets will be more like unstable, as "kinda goofy off-the-wall mechanics" played a lot better than "jokes that are funny to read but not actually play"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

whydirt posted:

Is there anywhere that has a collection of all the test card pics in one spot yet?

http://mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html has a lot of them but there's some missing (off the top of my head it doesn't have form of mulldrifter)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

These cards are rad as hell, and there are a ton of great ideas in them.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Scrycast is both an insanely cool mechanic, and absolutely loving broken at the same time so I hope it never gets used

It's also basically madness for scry instead of discard

President Ark
May 16, 2010

commander cards are in the set:

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1192592265438519296

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LOL it's "stickered" on top of a blue-white card. :perfect:

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Didn't expect that. Legacy was the only format besides limited that I've enjoyed over the last few years so I'm likely going to just sell off the 2 decks I have and go limited only for now.

Pioneer could have potential but I'm not going to buy into any deck at least until after the first PT.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

LOL it's "stickered" on top of a blue-white card. :perfect:

Just to refresh my memory, this was the designer search question which posited what colours should a flying vigilance 4/4 gold creature be? And the correct answer was g/b, because flying was secondary in black, as was vigilance in green. And that there was some reasoning as to it not being w/u, because each of those abilities are primary in those colours, which means it could also be a blue card or a white card (but not a w/u card, apparently)?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Just to refresh my memory, this was the designer search question which posited what colours should a flying vigilance 4/4 gold creature be? And the correct answer was g/b, because flying was secondary in black, as was vigilance in green. And that there was some reasoning as to it not being w/u, because each of those abilities are primary in those colours, which means it could also be a blue card or a white card (but not a w/u card, apparently)?

i mean, the question literally started with "we don't like making multicolored cards that could be done by just one of their colors; knowing this, what colors would you put a 4/4 flying vigilance card in?" and i feel like if your response to that is "white/blue duh" then you may need a reading comprehension exam

e: like, in a vacuum i'd agree, but in the context of an exam they don't have that first sentence there for no reason

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Agreed. They printed Serra's Sphinx, so they should reprint Harmonize in every core set, since they're both valid color shifts.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yes. The reason being the question told you it was the wrong answer. Magic nerds, being what they are, went en masse "No, it's the question that is wrong".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

whydirt posted:

according to gavin the entire collection of cards in the set ranges from 1000 to 2000 so, no

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ItBreathes posted:

Yes. The reason being the question told you it was the wrong answer. Magic nerds, being what they are, went en masse "No, it's the question that is wrong".

i'm almost tempted to reignite the argument

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also the initials of that card are "GDS" and it has 3 colorless mana in the cost

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ItBreathes posted:

the question passive-aggressively waffled about what the wrong answer was. "we prefer not to" and "we do not" are very different statements, and it's also very clear that wizards do in fact prefer to print flying and vigilance on creatures that aren't green and black

President Ark
May 16, 2010

ungulateman posted:

the question passive-aggressively waffled about what the wrong answer was. "we prefer not to" and "we do not" are very different statements, and it's also very clear that wizards do in fact prefer to print flying and vigilance on creatures that aren't green and black

if the correct answer included white, why would the first sentence have been included? this isn't a lovely gotcha quiz designed by reddit nerds, it was made by the company

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it was a lovely gotcha quiz question, designed by the company :ssh:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

ungulateman posted:

it was a lovely gotcha quiz question, designed by the company :ssh:

you got it wrong, didn't you

e: vvv fair enough, i wasn't around for the initial one so i didn't realize it was a minefield

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 8, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

President Ark posted:

i have no idea what you think you're accomplishing by relitigating this argument, please just shut up.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

President Ark posted:

no i got it right because i'm a philosophy student who's used to absolutely loving dogshit questions that have everything to do with the premises and nothing to do with observed reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Rinkles posted:

i'm almost tempted to reignite the argument

Do it....