Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do any companies make good alternative or proxy chaos spawn models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

TTerrible posted:

At one point people were giving away the characters from both Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero because so many boxes were being split up for the marine squads.

Come to think of it, someone was going to send me an Ahriman. Ah well.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

goose willis posted:

Do any companies make good alternative or proxy chaos spawn models?

Without any specific suggestions, I have found some cool stuff just googling Cthulhu miniatures and looking for anything not super iconic to that setting.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Groetgaffel posted:

The paladin kit was superceded by, and replaced with the warden kit, which is exactly the same plus an extra sprue with the new weapons.

The Imperial Knights Renegade box, if you can get your hands on one, contains one paladin kit and one warden kit, and is absurdly good value for its retail price.

While you can get the Warden, the Preceptor is a much better buy, being the same price and coming with the upgrade sprue for Canis Rex.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Hey goons, One_Wing just wrote a stellar article on deployment, and how to not lose the game before it even starts. Check it out:
https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-40k-deployment-tactics-surviving-turn-zero/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Heck yeah. I thought the death blight lord terminators were competitive and also basically the only competitive terminators in 40k.

Emperors Children would be freaking rad as heck!

Blightlord Terminators *are* competitive. I wrote about them in the article I did on DG tactics:
https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-death-guard-tactics/

You can potentially replace them with Scarab Occult Terminators in some lists, but Blightlords' survivability is just aces.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The demon figures from 7 Sins actually seem perfect for chaos spawn, are they the right size and 28mm scale? Models are NICE

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey goons, One_Wing just wrote a stellar article on deployment, and how to not lose the game before it even starts. Check it out:
https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-40k-deployment-tactics-surviving-turn-zero/

This is a pro click.

I did some quick analysis on the Imperial & Crimson Fists trait and strategem stacking between meetings today. The math works out cleanly for BS 3+ Bolter Drill to be mathematically equivalent whether you choose to reroll 1s or to reroll all non-6s, and any combination of bonuses improves that. As such it's easy to remember that you can always fish for 6s when using Bolter Drill, as long as Beer or somebody proofs the results.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

goose willis posted:

The demon figures from 7 Sins actually seem perfect for chaos spawn, are they the right size and 28mm scale? Models are NICE

Funny you mention it, here's a Ruinstorm Daemon army I'm working on:

In the 7 Sins boxes, the small models are roughly infantry sized, and the one larger model is more spawn sized.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

I really want to get a Red Gobbo model

does anyone know if the date - 9th November - mentioned here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/31/who-even-is-da-red-gobbogw-homepage-post-4-2/ is the date that it's available to pre-order, or the date that it's available to buy?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ghazk posted:

In the 7 Sins boxes, the small models are roughly infantry sized, and the one larger model is more spawn sized.

Jeezus thats some good modeling and painting!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Thanks!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ghazk posted:

Beautiful.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

shas posted:

I really want to get a Red Gobbo model

does anyone know if the date - 9th November - mentioned here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/31/who-even-is-da-red-gobbogw-homepage-post-4-2/ is the date that it's available to pre-order, or the date that it's available to buy?

My local games workshop said it's the date to buy them, no pre-order. They already have their allotment and will sell them on opening with maybe another allotment after.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting one. The figure looks awesome and might work perfect as a leader in a killteam.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Dude those daemons are sick and I'm gonna get 7 Sins models for spawn HELL YES

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ghazk posted:

Christ on a bike this army is excellent

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, don't know whether this is exactly the place for discussion about the audiobooks but humble bundle has a big collection of 40k stuff available:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...rary_bookbundle

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dead Nerve posted:

My local games workshop said it's the date to buy them, no pre-order. They already have their allotment and will sell them on opening with maybe another allotment after.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting one. The figure looks awesome and might work perfect as a leader in a killteam.

I know I'm going to get to GW early on Saturday to get it.

I think it would make a nice Christmas tree ornament. :allears: (assuming I can give it a nice looking paint job)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Max Wilco posted:

I know I'm going to get to GW early on Saturday to get it.

I think it would make a nice Christmas tree ornament. :allears: (assuming I can give it a nice looking paint job)

Stick him in a clear plastic container in the shape of a hand grenade and turn him into a bauble

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

It was a bit ago but I thought the 1K sons and other aspiring sorcerors could summon the dust from a destroyed rubric marine and put it back in a suit of armor?

Presumably they get aspiring sorcerors the same way the rest of Chaos does, raising up promising psyker thralls on their planets.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MinistryofLard posted:

It was a bit ago but I thought the 1K sons and other aspiring sorcerors could summon the dust from a destroyed rubric marine and put it back in a suit of armor?

Thousand Sons Narthecium:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What does a Slaanesh one look like

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
:nms:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Ghazk posted:

If anyone's interested seeing these idiots in action, I just posted up some pics and a mini battle report in the 30K thread.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

MinistryofLard posted:

Presumably they get aspiring sorcerors the same way the rest of Chaos does, raising up promising psyker thralls on their planets.

Yes, the codex describes an assault starting as debris falling from the sky, that turn out to be pieces of rubric marine armour that then pulls itself together while filling full of marine dust.

Another even is a city being raised as it was built on an old battle ground where some rubrics fell. The sorcerer was able to revive them.

Rubrics are functionally immortal.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Gearing up for my 2k game tomorrow and figured I'd post my GSC on a transport magnet board. I'm very excited to be mostly done with this horde army so I can move onto focusing on some Astartes.

We played an 1850pt game last time and to spice things up I tossed in a Toxicrene because they look good and balances some of the meanness of the GSC tricks.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm playing a 500 point game over the weekend. Yeah I know it's lame but my friend is new to it all and a 1500 point game totally overwhelmed him.

He enjoyed kill team but he's struggling to remember all the stratagems and how the models work so I suggested we start small.

His list is going to be: Ta'u Etheral, 20 fire warriors, 10 Kroot, 3 stealth suits, and 3 crisis suits.

Mine is going to be: A company commander, a tank commander in a leman russ demolisher, 30 guardsmen, 3 mortars, and a hellhound.

My list felt really cheese so I sent it to him in advance so he can basically tailor his crisis suit weapons

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Tiny games own. 750-1000 is like my favorite points range honestly.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
This app looks pretty neat

quote:

There will also be a 6” flanking line, 9” deep strike denial line, objective marker radius, length of path measurements around terrain, radial measurements around bases for auras and range finding...

And it will support multiplayer (in the second major release) and customizable UI, to fit your paint scheme...

Oh, and persistent annotations on the table, so you can make notes like wound markers without ever touching a model or leaving a die on the table.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Finally! A use case for Google Glass.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Dregs posted:

I am seriously toying with the idea of running a grot heavy force with lots and lots of scratch built conversions. I see lots of stuff online built of white plastic that seems to come in all kinds of useful shapes. Where can I learn more about modeling stuff like this? I want to make grot chariots.

You're looking for "Plasticard", or "Sheet Styrene". Most hobby/railroad shops will sell it in abundance, or you can get it on Amazon.

Here's a few links to guys making custom Ork stuff.
https://goblin3003.wordpress.com/category/tools-of-the-trade/
https://ifelix.co.uk/jimbo_orks_01.html

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

goose willis posted:

What does a Slaanesh one look like

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Hey I just started reading the goonhammer deployment article and something just smacked me in the face:

goonhammer posted:

Don’t forget that things getting out of a transport on the edge of a deployment zone also add 3″ + the width of their base to the distance they can strike at.

Is the 3" from the transport thing "the base has to touch the 3" mark" and not "completely within 3" "? I mean now that I look at it I realize it would probably say "wholly within" if it meant the latter but goddamn, I, and I think most everyone I've played with, has been treating it like that.

Then again I'm using 2-3 transports per game and most people are 1 if any, so it's mostly me disembarking.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

Hey I just started reading the goonhammer deployment article and something just smacked me in the face:

Is the 3" from the transport thing "the base has to touch the 3" mark" and not "completely within 3" "? I mean now that I look at it I realize it would probably say "wholly within" if it meant the latter but goddamn, I, and I think most everyone I've played with, has been treating it like that.

Then again I'm using 2-3 transports per game and most people are 1 if any, so it's mostly me disembarking.

Yes, disembarking is within not wholly within, so you just need to touch the mark

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

goose willis posted:

Check out the Apocolypse expansion box. 4 of the models are themed around the 4 horsemen and spawn sized, the fifth is super sized and fits in as more traditional spawn.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Whoever designed these loving citadel paint pots should be shamed. I had my first paint spill and my entire bench is covered in drakkenhof nightshade :smith:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I get why GW doesn't use dropper bottles, even if I think it's dumb. But the fact that the shades doubled down on it and are even taller pots making them incredibly easy to tip over...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:frogsiren: NEW SMALL MARINE MODEL SIGHTED :frogsiren:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Strobe posted:

:frogsiren: NEW SMALL MARINE MODEL SIGHTED :frogsiren:

Isn't this just one of those limited release store anniversary/opening models