Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1191705692656287750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've just posted this year's Secret Santa thread. Come over to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903265 and sign up!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is there a historical fiction thread?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

escape artist posted:

If not, :justpost:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

escape artist posted:

I demand somebody tell me why all the weird sex stuff in Aztec is necessary!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Someone recommended that I read James Patterson and when I asked for a starting point, they offered up The Black Book though they later stated that this recommendation was only because it was the first book that came to their mind. ...So, what's a good starting point for James Patterson?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

TV Zombie posted:

Someone recommended that I read James Patterson and when I asked for a starting point, they offered up The Black Book though they later stated that this recommendation was only because it was the first book that came to their mind. ...So, what's a good starting point for James Patterson?

there isn't one. the dude's a world class hack. read anyone else.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there isn't one. the dude's a world class hack. read anyone else.

I agree with CK. Patterson's work tends to be engaging, but horrible. From what I understand they're largely churned out by a sweatshop of co-authors that he slaps his name on.

That being said, one of the reading challenges a couple years ago was to read a piece of airport fiction. I'd settled on Patterson's Zoo, before ultimately going with something else (another Patterson book that I can't honestly recall the name of). So maybe that one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1195713263109062658?s=20

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I saw a good tweet about that the other day. Something along the lines of, "If you dismiss YA lit you'll get people mad that you're dismissing thousands of teen girls. If you say YA is lit for teen girls they'll get even angrier."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where can I see their remorse? Does it include the one who compared a college student to that rapist gymnastics doctor?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Mrenda posted:

I saw a good tweet about that the other day. Something along the lines of, "If you dismiss YA lit you'll get people mad that you're dismissing thousands of teen girls. If you say YA is lit for teen girls they'll get even angrier."
when i was a teen girl people used to tell me i could only write ya because teen girls are incapable of writing a protagonist other than themselves and you can imagine how angry that made me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fauna posted:

when i was a teen girl people used to tell me i could only write ya because teen girls are incapable of writing a protagonist other than themselves and you can imagine how angry that made me

The same is true of white men, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Lol

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

fauna posted:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The same is true of white men, though.

zadie smith had a good article about this last month

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

I've just posted this year's Secret Santa thread. Come over to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903265 and sign up!

If you're interested in this, please decide quickly whether or not you want to take part. Signups close in about 24 hours!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I got called pretentious today, because my desk at work has a few books on it, mostly from Vonnegut (who writes at, what, a 6th grade reading level?) and now I'm gonna just buy Actual Pretentious books to fill out the space because gently caress that guy.
What are the most pretentious books?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That'll show him

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Quad posted:

I got called pretentious today, because my desk at work has a few books on it, mostly from Vonnegut (who writes at, what, a 6th grade reading level?) and now I'm gonna just buy Actual Pretentious books to fill out the space because gently caress that guy.

all six volumes of Knausgaard's My Struggle

or get a copy of Cyclonopedia and convince him you're slightly unhinged

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quad posted:

6th grade reading level

What the gently caress is this poo poo anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MockingQuantum posted:

From what I've read of Cyclonopedia I'm not actually sure it's a coherent read

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Quad posted:

Finnegan's Wake. Annotated version.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

regulargonzalez posted:

Finnegan's Wake. Annotated version.

you are MEAN hahahaahaha

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quad posted:

Infinite Jest has to be there.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

gonna pwn a dumbass who totally exist by thinking like a dumbass (ie that literature is pretentious)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

cyclonopedia is 100% correct and if you cant see that maybe youre unhinged

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

From what I've read of Cyclonopedia I'm not actually sure it's a coherent read

pretty sure this guys an idiot so that should give you an idea of how good cyclonopedia is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Quad posted:

Name of the Rose

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Quad posted:

A complete set of Remembrance of Things Past.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Selachian posted:

A complete set of Remembrance of Things Past.

I see you haven't actually read it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Harry Potter imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ulvir posted:

gonna pwn a dumbass who totally exist by thinking like a dumbass (ie that literature is pretentious)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

all the books being recommended are just good ones. an actual pretentious book would be like all that pseudo literary american crapola that mel mudkiper reads.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A human heart posted:

all the books being recommended are just good ones. an actual pretentious book would be like all that pseudo literary american crapola that mel mudkiper reads.

Yeah stack your desk with Aquarium, Swamplandia, and Snow Child

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
It's mostly just that I hate this person and this is a passive-aggressive way of pufferfishing so that he'll leave me alone. It's buying into his idea that any interests other than Disney+ and Coca-Cola make one a 'hipster'. I'm too insecure to tell him to gently caress off.

And yeah, we read Vonnegut in like 8th grade. I love his work but calling it 'pretentious' is just insane since it's not difficult at all to read and he draws buttholes in the books. He's using that term as shorthand for "things I don't enjoy" and it's obnoxious. So am I probably though.

Off the bat the only books I could really call 'pretentious' would be, I dunno, Battlefield Earth? In that they're obviously written by a hack who DEFINITELY thought they were some of the best things ever written.

Quad fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 21, 2019

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Does it have to be fiction? Get a copy of Strunk & White. Get a set of encyclopedia volumes and rotate through them like you're reading the whole thing. Get literally anything thick and intimidating in a foreign language.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thus Spake Zarathustra certainly belongs there.

Also give Babyfucker a try too.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
the only book that belongs in any workplace is the king james bible. i will pray for you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Seconding babyfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

the only book that belongs in any workplace is the king james bible. i will pray for you

Actually the applicable work condition agreement has to be present and freely available at every workplace :finland: