Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

I'm really disappointed this didn't say "crow-operation".

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20190908X51027

The pilot reported, that while maneuvering at a low altitude in an aerial applicator airplane, he dumped about 350 gallons of pink water for a gender reveal. The airplane "got too slow", aerodynamically stalled, impacted terrain, and came to rest inverted.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspector reported that the accident occurred during a low pass for a gender reveal celebration. He added that there were two persons on board the single seat airplane.

Ban gender

"Pink water" sounds way too much like grey/black water from sewage plants.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Worker Dies in Chemical Incident at Buffalo Wild Wings. 8 other workers and 2 customers went to the hospital.
I'm sure that's what the fire chief was told but

If you're going to post this, at least include a picture of the cool crystals they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is gender party even a thing? On top of that they keep getting more and more over the top. Letter opening, popping balloons, fireworks, high explosives, water bombing. What's next? Dropping 2000lb bombs, A-10 strafes and drone strikes?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Original idea do not steal: artificial meteor shower laced with elements that will glow the appropriate colour as they fall to Earth.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With rocket launches getting cheaper with small payload rockets some rich idiot might very well do that. Might as well take it to the next level and make it out of tungsten and target it nearby for a rod from god effect. Nearby being a CEP of 10 km at best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean I stole the idea of artificial meteor showers.

Astro Live Experiences, Ltd is going to drop one on Hiroshima in 2020.

My innovation is using it for a gender reveal.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Platystemon posted:

Original idea do not steal: artificial meteor shower laced with elements that will glow the appropriate colour as they fall to Earth.

meteors from Annihilation and Color out of Space actually part of extraterrestrial gender reveals???

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I mean I stole the idea of artificial meteor showers.

Astro Live Experiences, Ltd is going to drop one on Hiroshima in 2020.

My innovation is using it for a gender reveal.

You'd think Hiroshima would be sick of having things dropped on them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

oohhboy posted:

Why is gender party even a thing? On top of that they keep getting more and more over the top. Letter opening, popping balloons, fireworks, high explosives, water bombing. What's next? Dropping 2000lb bombs, A-10 strafes and drone strikes?

It's an excuse to throw a party and squeeze free stuff out of old people.

Or at least, it should be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Renegret posted:

It's an excuse to throw a party and squeeze free stuff out of old people.

Or at least, it should be.

It’s double‐dipping.

Baby showers already exist.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Platystemon posted:

It’s double‐dipping.

Baby showers already exist.

yeah

that's the point

by the time the baby shower rolls around, it's been a few months and the olds are getting itchy to throw free stuff at the baby again

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Renegret posted:

yeah

that's the point

by the time the baby shower rolls around, it's been a few months and the olds are getting itchy to throw free stuff at the baby again

then you wait 15-20 years when the kid reveals his/her/their actual gender, and the olds realize they were conned (and reveal their transphobia)

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/builders-edinburgh-christmas-market-spotted-20822426

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OH HELL NAW

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's where my DIY Li'l Vladdy Beginners Impalement Set shipped to.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Because one idiot did it in 2008 and it went viral. Since then gender reveal parties have caused millions of dollars in damage, burned ~47,000 acres of land, and killed at least one person outright.

Plot twist: the kid the original party was for turned out to be nonbinary.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Renegret posted:

yeah

that's the point

First of all the baby needs an o/u 12 gauge BEFORE the gender reveal so I can shoot clay pigeons loaded with tannerite at the party

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PathAsc posted:

First of all the baby needs an o/u 12 gauge BEFORE the gender reveal so I can shoot clay pigeons loaded with tannerite at the party

CEASE FIRE BITCH

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

ToxicFrog posted:

Plot twist: the kid the original party was for turned out to be nonbinary.

please tell me this is true

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

snugglz posted:

please tell me this is true

Sorry for HuffPost, but yeah it is

quote:

... Bee, her 10-year-old daughter who wears suits and expresses herself in nonbinary ways.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

klafbang posted:

Sorry for HuffPost, but yeah it is
Yeah iirc that's a big part of why the original gender reveal mom regrets doing that, because her kid ended up being nb, combined with how weird gender reveal party culture has gotten. Honestly she sounds like a p good mom who was not considering the toxic aspects and who just wanted to do a fun thing with a cake.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

IT'S TOO LATE NOW!

https://twitter.com/TheMorningSongs/status/1192778866865188864?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've got no clue why they were trying to land a helicopter this close to a cable-stayed tower in the first place, but

https://i.imgur.com/lFqxzeX.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cameraman is on-loving-point though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bonus conservation-of-momentum.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Z0wvQSP.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Cameraman is on-loving-point though.

Not really, he was behind a protective barrier all the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i've got no clue why they were trying to land a helicopter this close to a cable-stayed tower in the first place, but

:stare: The turbine is still running at the end.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Our 4th St. bridge in Charlottesville is picking up the slack. 2 in 2 weeks.

I'm more concerned about the "left turn yield on green" sign. Surely that should be self-explanatory, unless it's a green arrow light in which case what the hell

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Re: chlorine, one of my buddies was failed out of army basic training because he couldn't pass PT, so he got put into a unit he called 'retard platoon' with other people who got failed out of basic training, mostly for other reasons than PT. At some point they were told to mop some floors, so his brain genius colleagues started dumping tons of bleach into a mop bucket of hot water. These guys had trouble with getting the floor to actually become clean, and were preparing to start mixing in additonal cleaners into the bucket when one of their sergeants walked in

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ruflux posted:

I'm more concerned about the "left turn yield on green" sign. Surely that should be self-explanatory, unless it's a green arrow light in which case what the hell

It has two green lights in the 4-light stack. One is a green arrow, one is just a green dot, and the sign is reminding people that the dot has to yield. They use the sign because the presence of both and arrow and a dot likely confuses some people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ruflux posted:

lol no. americans are such lovely drivers that you have to have reminder signs like that all over the place. i see them at many intersections in san francisco.

another fun one is "vehicles must stop on red signal," usually mounted in a place where people regularly barrel through a red light into a right turn because right on red is legal!!!

or the graphical ones showing turn arrows that amount to "stay in your goddamned lane during a turn, the intersection isn't a free-for-all"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My favorite is a non functioning traffic light gets treated as a 4 way stop sign.

Actually doing that is a fast track to getting yourself killed.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

oohhboy posted:

With rocket launches getting cheaper with small payload rockets some rich idiot might very well do that. Might as well take it to the next level and make it out of tungsten and target it nearby for a rod from god effect. Nearby being a CEP of 10 km at best.

Gender reveal rocket explodes, sets off the Kessler cascade.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Byzantine posted:

Gender reveal rocket explodes, sets off the Kessler cascade.

Kleiner: "I never thought I'd SEE a genderesonance cascade, let alone create one!"

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Sagebrush posted:

lol no. americans are such lovely drivers that you have to have reminder signs like that all over the place. i see them at many intersections in san francisco.

To be fair, all it costs to become a driver here in the great US of A is a pulse, a functioning set of arms and legs, vision that's correctable to 20/40, and the ability to pay $50.00 and commit 2 hours of your time to driving around in a circle.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

I'm going through Pratchett right now with Mort, and Mortimer is learning the unintended consequences of not following procedure.

Next up is Guards Guards which should have some OSHA in it.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE WORKER HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE OSHA MAN?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

They were going to lift an antenna (I think it was Edit: lol it was a Christmas tree, so even dumber) to the top of that tower. So they were descending and a guy was going to hook a line onto the bottom of the helicopter. You can see this guy pull the line taut as he approaches, pulling it into the rotors. That crash was caused by the loadmaster or whatever he's called, not pilot error.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sex Skeleton posted:

To be fair, all it costs to become a driver here in the great US of A is a pulse, a functioning set of arms and legs, vision that's correctable to 20/40, and the ability to pay $50.00 and commit 2 hours of your time to driving around in a circle.

Look up Hong Kong driving schools. Some have color-coded lines on either side of the course and the same colors of tape around the wheel. Red road, turn the wheel so red tape is centered on top of the wheel. Their test makes you do some very unfair, unrealistic things though.

You are right. I bought a car, fixed it, traded it to my mom for her nicer car, and was tossed the keys, "Don't kill yourself". Taught myself to drive around my own neighborhood, took a 10 minute test in a parking lot, bing, bang, bong. Same thing driving (smaller) commercial vehicles and pulling trailers, "Looks like you got it, get out and look if you ever think you don't." For the record, I take my driving seriously. No room for error or ego when you're more than twice as heavy as the biggest car. Step-vans in particular scare the poo poo out of me, quite a few family friends have died in them. You sit on a pedastal in front of a huge window, steel dash, and a big metal steering wheel. Crash at speed=you are d-e-d, dead.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/stephentyrone/status/1192053227061207040

Everyone involved in that decision should be in prison.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentyrone/status/1192053227061207040
Everyone involved in that decision should be in prison.
It's the US my guy, Uber's already been cleared of criminal liability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Renegret posted:

My favorite is a non functioning traffic light gets treated as a 4 way stop sign.

Actually doing that is a fast track to getting yourself killed.

Is this just because Americans are terrible drivers? That's what we do in Canada and it works fine.